The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: so be it... the ultimate AMF "Yeah, thanks, we get it" list

I would just like to take this opportunity to let you all know how awesome Summerteeth is...

Good thread idea. I'll add a few

11. Jackson does not like Bob Marley, Simon & Garfunkel, or Bruce Springsteen (except "Thunder Road" and "Born to Run," I might add).
12. Sonofsamiam loves jazz, soul, rap, and pretty much any kind of black music you can think of
13. Romain hates Bob Dylan
14. Moonbeam loves Prince (might be the most obvious one on the whole board)
15. Tim E loves a certain kind of indie pop and absolutely hates the rest of it

We could have an entire list just for Moonbeam.

Jackson
Good thread idea. I'll add a few

bonus cut:

16. but Jackson does like jazzzz (a LOT)
17. Sonofsamiam loves jazz, soul, rap, and pretty much any kind of black music you can think of (as long as there are lots of strings and harps in it)

nicolas
john hates songs that are loger than 4:00 mn
but we still miss damosuzuki

I don't think I've ever said that, but you are mostly right. Nice observation.

And yes, we miss damosuzuki. There's somebody else I miss but I can't remember his username, it's been a couple years.

This thread is awesome! On the topic of The Suburbs, I actually think Anthony did say something along the lines of "we get it already, Moonbeam".

It seems like I have the easiest taste to define here on AMF. I must shout my opinions really loudly. Sorry about that!

nj
Moonbeam cannot stand the fucking Beatles
- GOT IT??

Post of the century!

There I go again.

And in conclusion, I think this post sums it up perfectly!

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=10&msgid=1135464&cmd=show

Henry loves modern mainstream pop songs that everyone else finds annoying.

Moonbeam
I actually think Anthony did say something along the lines of "we get it already, Moonbeam".

Anthony was always sure to say something grouchy that would piss someone off...

I miss his regular input.

John
nicolas
And yes, we miss damosuzuki. There's somebody else I miss but I can't remember his username, it's been a couple years.
Jacek and Dumbangel haven't been around much.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet:
JR really really loves Madonna

Furthermore..

Schleuse is the mad scientist
Tim E hates lofi male singers and loves pop
nj becomes a sad puppy when normal music wins out over weird music
STEFAN LOVES CAPSLOCK
Anthony loves artists with 1 album

nj

4. schleuse DOES like R.E.M. (and suggests that everybody who doesn't is a Taliban)

Heh.

No, actually, I would never say that about someone who doesn't like R.E.M. - I have friends whose opinions are otherwise mostly sound who don't like them.

Now, anyone who doesn't like Pixies? Taliban.

nj, thanks for simultaneously confirming my fears that I've become far too easy to peg...but also showing that everyone else is, too. I might move Bread and DeBarge into my top ten artists just to confuse people now.

Oh, and I also miss Anthony, damosuzuki, Paul, and others whose names elude me right now.

Well, I can feel my beard growing and my flight is being diverted to Kandahar...

Seriously, I wouldn't listen to the Pixies everyday or every week, but I recognize they're a great band. They created a very special universe of their own.

Well, I can feel my beard growing and my flight is being diverted to Kandahar...

Seriously, I wouldn't listen to the Pixies everyday or every week, but I recognize they're a great band. They created a very special universe of their own.

nicolas

Looks like I'm on that flight with you.

Got a pocket knife?

nj
17. Sonofsamiam loves jazz, soul, rap, and pretty much any kind of black music you can think of (as long as there are lots of strings and harps in it)

Nailed it!

Can't believe "schleuse is from Texas" hasn't come up yet.

Glad to see I haven't been flogging any dead horses.

Everyone except Dan M and nicolas pretend they understand nj, but nothing she has ever said has made any sense.

Henrik
Everyone except Dan M and nicolas pretend they understand nj, but nothing she has ever said has made any sense.

That thread would be a "Yeah, thanks, we don't get it" list.

P.S. I think the percentage is more 50/50, but 20 percent of that time she doesn't understand herself.

Rocky Raccoon
Henrik

That thread would be a "Yeah, thanks, we don't get it" list.

P.S. I think the percentage is more 50/50, but 20 percent of that time she doesn't understand herself.

I decided years ago that nj was keeping Gramscian postmodern critique of capitalist hegemony alive through a ludic praxis of difference. Hey, somebody has to.

Oh, and Rocky, I'll come clean: I'm not really from Texas. I'm from North Dakota, but I needed a state to root for with a better contingent of AM artists. North Dakota only has Peggy Lee.

i'm a nutsy

plus Jandl invented the internet slang...

1 W4NTZ M0AR V4N DIK P4RX, doggammit!!!
(good one, nic, and thanks for skipping the stupid Flips)

Schwah

Anthony was always sure to read something not so grouchy that would piss him off...

there. i fixed it for you.

Penguin
I don't post too often, but when I do, it's pretty much for 2 things:

2. Dislike of most of the things nj likes

the. perfect. premise. for a. long term /fb/ soulmateship.

nuff quoted. let's friend.

lol... but Jon thanks we get it ...

Believe it or not, on the Wilco boards, I'm known as that "Weird Nirvana fan."

John
nicolas

yes, we miss damosuzuki. There's somebody else I miss but I can't remember his username, it's been a couple years.

hour of the wooden hint:

nicolas

Snusmumrik loves Pearl Before Swines

2. Warren Zevon
3. Dream Syndicate
4. Marianne Faithfull
5. Bruce Cockburn

nj
hour of the wooden hint:

nicolas

2. Warren Zevon
3. Dream Syndicate
4. Marianne Faithfull
5. Bruce Cockburn

What does that mean? That you think Snusmumrik is Damo?

John
nj
hour of the wooden hint:

nicolas

2. Warren Zevon
3. Dream Syndicate
4. Marianne Faithfull
5. Bruce Cockburn

What does that mean? That you think Snusmumrik is Damo?

doesn't the bottom of my coffee cup spit any spoilers anymore? kobayashi sounds legit enough, but then..a gin..nahhh, it just seems weird that no one seems to miss our good ole token Dane anymore..

Yeah he's a good poster but he still checks once in a blue moon. Plus, I'm friends with him on Facebook so I almost forgot he doesn't post much anymore.

jamen.

Updated List (Compiled mostly from previous entries)

Honorable mentions: Stephan loves Bob Dylan and anything that sounds Dylan-y. Honorio’s reveals are legendary, even if polls that ended in January do drag into June. Schleuse doesn’t like the Doors. Nick's lists are coincidentally (and unwittingly) all equal to the ones in AM rank. BillAdama likes rap music but doesn't like rappers.

30. HRS loves Joanna Newsom (and other female singers)
29. Stephan loves compiling polls in one thread
28. Moonbeam uses the word “adore” more than any man should
27. nj doesn't like The Arcade Fire
26. Romain doesn’t understand nj (Something to do with a language barrier)
25. STEFAN LOVES CAPSLOCK
24. Moonbeam doesn't like The Beatles
23. Mindrocker can’t help himself (No, we don’t need to know what your 184th favorite song of 2001 is)
22. Listyguy likes everything prior to 1972 and hates the rest (He claims 1995)
21. Moonbeam doesn’t like The Suburbs
20. nicolas doesn't like “cold” music
19. BillAdama is smarter than almost everyone
18. greg doesn't like Animal Collective
17. Kevin loves the shit out of anything in the Animal Collective (Even the last crappy Panda Bear album)
16. Romain can’t stand Bob Dylan (See No. 26)
15. Schleuse is from Texas (Not really, but apparently he wishes he was)
14. Jonathon DOES like Wilco (a LOT)
13. We all enjoy partaking in polls or making lists way too much, even to the point of hijacking other threads to do so.
12. Moonbeam hates … well, a lot of stuff, let’s just go with the Who for starters
11. Oh yeah, Moonbeam hates the Beatles
10. Sonofsamiam loves any music that is made by musicians of African descent. (We’re all of African descent, but some more recently than others)
9. Nicolas is French, and as a citizen of that country is required to express his love of Jacques Brel (This is a two-fer)
8. nj is keeping Gramscian postmodern critique of capitalist hegemony alive through a ludic praxis of difference. Hey, somebody has to.
7. Henry can’t stand the Velvet Underground (Something to do with their droning sound)
6. Henrik likes math (No AM without this fact)
5. Moonbeam loves prince to the point of making his AM handle a reference to an obscure Prince song
4. schleuse DOES like R.E.M. (but doesn’t suggest that anyone who doesn’t is a Taliban)
3. JR loves Madonna, refers to her as Madge and posts any list that has an album or song of hers on it.
2. A majority of this forum likes Radiohead … I mean REALLY likes Radiohead
1. Moonbeam can’t stand the fucking Beatles. GOT IT!

Note: This list is intended for entertainment purposes only, no personal offense is intended. The contents of this list maybe republished or rebroadcast without the author’s consent.

Great summary, Rocky!

Runner-up: Rocky Raccoon sometimes forget how to spell his name. (Something also tells me that you took this name without knowing the origin and/or that you hate the song - did I dream this or have you actually said this?)

Again, no personal offense is intended.

I may be good at math, but if I was really that smart I'd be making more money.

Rocky Racoon
Updated List (Compiled mostly from previous entries)

Honorable mentions: Stephan loves Bob Dylan and anything that sounds Dylan-y. Honorio’s reveals are legendary, even if polls that ended in January do drag into June. Schleuse doesn’t like the Doors. Nick's lists are coincidentally (and unwittingly) all equal to the ones in AM rank. BillAdama likes rap music but doesn't like rappers.

30. HRS loves Joanna Newsom (and other female singers)
29. Stephan loves compiling polls in one thread
28. Moonbeam uses the word “adore” more than any man should
27. nj doesn't like The Arcade Fire
26. Romain doesn’t understand nj (Something to do with a language barrier)
25. STEFAN LOVES CAPSLOCK
24. Moonbeam doesn't like The Beatles
23. Mindrocker can’t help himself (No, we don’t need to know what your 184th favorite song of 2001 is)
22. Listyguy likes everything prior to 1972 and hates the rest (He claims 1995)
21. Moonbeam doesn’t like The Suburbs
20. nicolas doesn't like “cold” music
19. BillAdama is smarter than almost everyone
18. greg doesn't like Animal Collective
17. Kevin loves the shit out of anything in the Animal Collective (Even the last crappy Panda Bear album)
16. Romain can’t stand Bob Dylan (See No. 26)
15. Schleuse is from Texas (Not really, but apparently he wishes he was)
14. Jonathon DOES like Wilco (a LOT)
13. We all enjoy partaking in polls or making lists way too much, even to the point of hijacking other threads to do so.
12. Moonbeam hates … well, a lot of stuff, let’s just go with the Who for starters
11. Oh yeah, Moonbeam hates the Beatles
10. Sonofsamiam loves any music that is made by musicians of African descent. (We’re all of African descent, but some more recently than others)
9. Nicolas is French, and as a citizen of that country is required to express his love of Jacques Brel (This is a two-fer)
8. nj is keeping Gramscian postmodern critique of capitalist hegemony alive through a ludic praxis of difference. Hey, somebody has to.
7. Henry can’t stand the Velvet Underground (Something to do with their droning sound)
6. Henrik likes math (No AM without this fact)
5. Moonbeam loves prince to the point of making his AM handle a reference to an obscure Prince song
4. schleuse DOES like R.E.M. (but doesn’t suggest that anyone who doesn’t is a Taliban)
3. JR loves Madonna, refers to her as Madge and posts any list that has an album or song of hers on it.
2. A majority of this forum likes Radiohead … I mean REALLY likes Radiohead
1. Moonbeam can’t stand the fucking Beatles. GOT IT!

Note: This list is intended for entertainment purposes only, no personal offense is intended. The contents of this list maybe republished or rebroadcast without the author’s consent.

J'adore, [puppet]jamen[/puppet].

Looks like I need to adopt a more ridiculous persona on the forum so I can make the top 30.

Rocky : great list, post of the day !!!!

Nicolas is French, and as a citizen of that country is required to express his love of Jacques Brel (This is a two-fer)

Jacques Brel was Belgian, but most French people pretend they ignore it (as every French-speaking Belgian artist like Hergé; because we think we are superior to them and make bad jokes about them because we're jealous)

and where's the two-fer ? is that a) nicolas is French
b) he's required to express his love of JB ?

Henrik
Great summary, Rocky!

Runner-up: Rocky Raccoon sometimes forget how to spell his name. (Something also tells me that you took this name without knowing the origin and/or that you hate the song - did I dream this or have you actually said this?)

Again, no personal offense is intended.

Dammit, you're right about the spelling. I do know the origin of the name, even if I sometimes revert to the less-commonly accepted spelling of it. I don't think I ever said I didn't like the song, just that it's far from my favorite Beatles song. It was a spur of the moment decision when I first decided to post on this forum many years ago.

nicolas
Rocky : great list, post of the day !!!!

Nicolas is French, and as a citizen of that country is required to express his love of Jacques Brel (This is a two-fer)

Jacques Brel was Belgian, but most French people pretend they ignore it (as every French-speaking Belgian artist like Hergé; because we think we are superior to them and make bad jokes about them because we're jealous)

and where's the two-fer ? is that a) nicolas is French
b) he's required to express his love of JB ?

Yes, that is the two-fer.

superfurry always post his list just after mine in the decade polls (i.e. the last day)

chrisf used to hit on netjade (little did he know)

Alex D loves great rock music AND mainstream pop (but is not ashamed of it, which is what saves him)

In another life, Henry was a roadie for REO Speedwagon

Dan M lives in the UK AND loves French music

all the younger AMers say "awesome" when they like something very much

Nassim is the only French guy in Puppermattaz (or whatever it spells) fanclub (but he likes Elliott Smith too)

nicolas

In another life, Henry was a roadie for REO Speedwagon
)

Good one!!

Actually, I saw America in concert (at the age of 19)and enjoyed the show in 1975.

At least now, I understand just how limited America was. I should have been enjoying VU and Lou Reed instead.

Well, in fact that joke isn't mine , it's by the creator of this thread.

I lused to love America too (and even REO S yes I admit it)when I was a teen , but I haven't listened to them since. I'd be curious