The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: UMT2: 2nd round / #11

Today's observation: Lots of love for H&O (or JD hate) among the emailers.

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#5 Peter Gabriel
#3 Al Green
#2 Joy Division
#8 Abba
#4 Curtis Mayfield
pass
#2 Queen

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#5 Peter Gabriel
#3 Al Green
#2 Joy Division
#1 Elvis Costello
#4 Curtis Mayfield
#3 Patti Smith
#2 Queen

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#5 Peter Gabriel
#3 Al Green
#7 Hall & Oates
#1 Elvis Costello
#5 Television
#6 Tom Petty
#2 Queen

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#4 Blondie
#3 Al Green
#2 Joy Division
#1 Elvis Costello
#4 Curtis Mayfield
#3 Patti Smith
pass

#1 Bruce Springsteen (He's the Boss of this matchup, and Goddamn it, spellcheck, matchup is one word when it's used as a noun)
#4 Blondie (Close contest, but Parallel Lines wins it)
Don't care (I'm fine with either advancing)
#2 Joy Division (Two really good albums versus a spotting discography)
#1 Elvis Costello (Um, yeah)
Don't care (I'm fine with either advancing)
#3 Patti Smith (Extremely close, but I'm reading "Just Kids" right now, so I'm going to go the opposite way I probably usually would)
Don't care (I'm not fine with either advancing)

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#4 Blondie (wow, very very tough choice for me here)
#3 Al Green
#2 Joy Division
#1 Elvis Costello
#4 Curtis Mayfield
#3 Patti Smith
#2 Queen

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#5 Peter Gabriel
#3 Al Green
pass
#1 Elvis Costello
#4 Curtis Mayfield
pass
pass

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#4 Blondie
#3 Al Green
#2 Joy Division
#1 Elvis Costello
#4 Curtis Mayfield
#6 Tom Petty
#2 Queen

The Boss
Blondie
Skynyrd
JD
Costello
Pass
Tom Petty (I love one, hate the other)
Queen (One is my favorite ever, the other has one great album.)

#1 Bruce Springsteen
#4 Blondie
#6 Lynyrd Skynyrd
#2 Joy Division
#1 Elvis Costello
#5 Television
#3 Patti Smith
#7 Boston

Henrik

Don't forget me! I have lots (OK , just a little) love for H&O and lots of hate (OK, just bafflement at their acclaim) for JD.

Schwah
Henrik

Don't forget me! I have lots (OK , just a little) love for H&O and lots of hate (OK, just bafflement at their acclaim) for JD.

11-1 Hall & Oates out of e-mailers. I think it more about some H&O lovin'.

Slick
Schwah
Henrik

Slick, we've established a tradition here of asking you about the non-AM vote when a critical favorite narrowly beats (or loses to) a more popular act.

I've been wondering...do the other voters ever ask what the hell is going on with those guys over at AM?

schleuse
Slick
Schwah
Henrik

Slick, we've established a tradition here of asking you about the non-AM vote when a critical favorite narrowly beats (or loses to) a more popular act.

I've been wondering...do the other voters ever ask what the hell is going on with those guys over at AM?
Good question. I was wondering about that as well.

It's not necessarily about H&O love. Some of those votes are probably "I'm not a fan of Hall & Oates, but I've heard they exist, and I haven't heard Joy Division exists. I vote Hall & Oates."

I wonder what the Patti Smith/Tom Petty split is. I can't believe that result.

BillAdama
It's not necessarily about H&O love. Some of those votes are probably "I'm not a fan of Hall & Oates, but I've heard they exist, and I haven't heard Joy Division exists. I vote Hall & Oates."

I hope they are more kind to us.

Gillingham
schleuse
Slick
Schwah
Henrik

Good question. I was wondering about that as well.

Most of the non-AMers are extremely knowledgable music people, they may not look at things from the indie/acclaimed perspective as the forum does. I do get an occasional... How are The Smiths a #1 seed? or how did so and so beat so and so? usually after there is a huge split between AM voters and e-mail votes on certain matchups where the more acclaimed artist wins over the more popular artist.

For the most part their seems to be alot of similarities between the two, but every couple of days there are one of those matchups that split between the two.

Sometime I feel the urge to reach through the computer and slap these email voters.

Henrik
BillAdama

That's not fair Henrik. If the split were 8-4 or 9-3 against Tom Waits or Joy Division, I'd totally believe it was just a difference of opinion. It's the 11-1 and 12-0 results that make me think most of them haven't heard of the other.

That's just how these votes tend to work. If people are familiar with one and not the other, they vote the one they're familiar with.

Henrik
BillAdama

It does seem that some folks may hold their preferences a bit too dearly. It's not a matter of being wrong or correct on many of these calls, it is a matter of preference.

My guess is that for many avid music lovers Waits voice remains annoying and Joy Division's offerings are not particularly enjoyable for a variety of credible reasons.