The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AMF Underrated Albums Poll: Voting Round

I had a problem considering some 00s albums like Ys or xx as underrated only because they didn't make the top 250. I decided to, personally, exclude every 00s album inside the top 600 of all time since, i believe, it is an impressive feat by them. Other decades had more titles that justify the underrated term and fame.

As Henrik, RYM has pretty much screwed with some of my picks since the users managed to place them inside the top 250. After noticing that, i felt that this poll is really going to define THE underrated albums of all time: ignored by critics AND general music lovers. Harder to find a consensus without the likes of Pink Moon and many punk and jazz albums, but pretty damn exciting for it.

Perfect From Now On #233 on RYM.... aaaaaaaargh...

Are we including EPs?

Since they are not included on AM or in the RYM album list it would make things even more complicated, so I would say no. No bootlegs either.

My #1 is going to be really predictable.

I like the looser standards. I wonder if there's an easy way to make an alphabetized list that includes all albums invalid at a certain level.

That is, one alphabetical list of all albums 1-250 on AM or RYM, one of all albums 251-500, etc.

Maybe I'll do it if I can find a clever way to do it instantly in Excel.

Stephan
Lower than is indeed a poor choice of words, worse would have been better.

With regards to the cutoff criteria.. I suppose you do have a point. My main concern was with making sure everything is really underrated but maybe we went a little bit overboard with the criteria. I still think the first 250 on both AM and RYM should be excluded, but what about this:

1-10 / Worse than 250
11-50 / Worse than 500
51-100 / Worse than 750
101-200 / Worse than 1,000
201-???? / Worse than 1,500

That would be a little more inclusive, and depending on your personal list at least include Hats and probably "Black Earth" and "Jazz på svenska".

Another solution would be to somehow take into account the number of votes on RYM, for example giving every album with less than 500 votes an exception from the rules.
This is better IMO. And I like the suggestion to give albums with less than 500 (or even 1000) RYM votes an exception to the rules.

Can you edit other people's posts Henrik? If you can, could you edit mine to reflect the new criteria as well as the exception for albums with less than 1000 votes? I had a look through the list and it seems that there are a few relatively unknown albums ranked pretty highly on RYM most of which have between 500-1000 votes so I think 1000 is probably a fairer number.

Stephan
Can you edit other people's posts Henrik? If you can, could you edit mine to reflect the new criteria as well as the exception for albums with less than 1000 votes? I had a look through the list and it seems that there are a few relatively unknown albums ranked pretty highly on RYM most of which have between 500-1000 votes so I think 1000 is probably a fairer number.
No, I can't, but we wouldn't lose anything if you start a new thread, would we?

No, we wouldn't. I'll make another topic as soon as we figure out what I reckon is the last remaining issue: the scoring system. Could I simply use the 2100/position+20 formula that's also used for the final part of the decade polls?

Stephan
No, we wouldn't. I'll make another topic as soon as we figure out what I reckon is the last remaining issue: the scoring system. Could I simply use the 2100/position+20 formula that's also used for the final part of the decade polls?
Sure, why not?

I was browsing the forum a little bit and I saw that at one point we've also used 4200/position+20, giving the higher positions more of a contribution. Since people are most likely going to have several favorites they think are particularly underrated, maybe this would be better for this poll.

Stephan
I was browsing the forum a little bit and I saw that at one point we've also used 4200/position+20, giving the higher positions more of a contribution. Since people are most likely going to have several favorites they think are particularly underrated, maybe this would be better for this poll.
I suppose you mean 4200/(position+20), but that's just 2*2100(position+20), so that would just double all the numbers. Perhaps 4100/(position+40) instead? I agree that for this poll it's better to give higher scores to the albums further down the lists.

Yes, I should have used brackets but I actually meant the exact opposite: giving albums ranked highly more points, not albums further down the list. However, as I'm having a look at what will end up on my list right now I'm finding I still want to give quite a lot of points to my #50, so right now I don't know what's better..

I would use a similar formula, but it might be worth discussing whether we want the points to slope down faster or slower.

Henrik argues slower, I might argue slightly faster, just because the difference between my #1 film of a decade and my #10 is a lot smaller than the difference between my #1 underrated album and my #10.

In general though, (X + 1) * 100 / (position + X)

Agreed on the last part. In any case, there's no real need to decide on the scoring right this moment so I'll make a new post and we can continue our actual suggestions there.

Please post in the other topic.