Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Round 4, Week 1

Who won’t be in round 4:
12. The Kinks (9 points)
11. The Smiths (9)
And a few close calls: Led Zeppelin (9), The Beach Boys (9),Stevie Wonder (8)
Please Note: Due to the tie to exit this week, the number of votes each artist received was take into account. The Kinks and the Smiths each received 6, whereas Zep and the Beach Boys received 5 each. So, Led Zeppelin and the Beach Boys can breath easy.
I have also decided to extend voting against two artists until we get to a top 6. However, only one artist will be eliminated weekly from now until the end.

Now, let the games begin! We are down to 10 artists. Here, please post two artists want you off the “Island” out of the remaining artists. Please see the Rules Thread for the complete set of rules. Remember that one artist get 2 points and the next gets 1.

The Remaining Artists:
The Beach Boys, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Prince, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young

Re: AM Survivor: Round 4, Week 1

ladies and gentlemen, we are down to ten! From here one out, it's bloody war each week as we say goodbye to one.

-2 Beach Boys
-1 The Clash

Damn,2 of my absolute favourites gone.
-2 Led Zeppelin
-1 The Clash
I had REM last week,but on second thoughts the Clash should go before them...

-2 Stevie Wonder
-1 The Clash

-2 Jimi Hendrix
-1 The Clash

-2 Neil Young
-1 Stevie Wonder

People! People! Stop hating on The Clash!

-2 Beach Boys
-1 REM

Everyone left has produced really good stuff, but only one group left has also produced really bad stuff.

Nick
Only when you stop hating on Neil Young.

Stephan
Nick

The Clash are worthy of a great deal of respect; but they are third on my hit list now that the Kinks have finally been eliminated.

-2 Prince
-1 R.E.M.

Stephan
Nick

hahaha don't get me wrong, I really like Neil Young, he's currently sitting around number 50 on my top artists of all time. It's just that, with the exception of Stevie, Jimi, and R.E.M., everyone else is firmly lodged in my top 20 artists of all time.

-2 The Clash
-1 R.E.M.

-2 The BEach Boys
-1 Bruce Springsteen

-2 R.E.M.
-1 Neil Young

-2 Bruce Springsteen
-1 Neil Young

-2 Stevie Wonder
-1 Jimi Hendrix

-2 The Clash
-1 Prince

Of the remaining 10, there are only 2 I can vote off without having to ame any difficult decisions...

-2 The Beach Boys
-1 Neil Young

-2 Led Zeppelin
-1 R.E.M

I like a lot of stuff by both artists, but both artists also have a good amount of material I'm not really into.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ray-davies-wants-the-kinks-to-reform-20110411

By all logic The Kinks should be on the verge of a reunion. "I’m seeing Dave next week," Ray Davies tells Rolling Stone in a new interview. "I hear that Dave is saying stuff in the press like, 'I’ll do it, but Ray doesn’t want to do it.' This is me saying, 'Ray will do it if Dave does it.'"

With both Davies brothers on board a reunion should be imminent, but Kinks fans have been teased like this for the 15 years and it never seems to happen. They came close to reuniting with the original line-up in the early 2000s, but that was derailed when bassist Peter Quaife started to develop severe kidney problems. "It's all water under the bridge now," Dave Davies told Rolling Stone shortly after Quaife died in June of 2010. "There was talking of doing weekends in New York with the four of us, but now we shall never know."

BillAdama

Everyone left has produced really good stuff, but only one group left has also produced really bad stuff.

I don't know about that. The Beach Boys had Kokomo, but Prince had Batman (sorry Moonbeam), Stevie Wonder had a couple of bad albums, as did R.E.M.

To me everything the Beach Boys did before Pet Sounds was bad, and everything after the Smile recordings was only okay.

A few other groups left did some bad stuff, but not in the prime of their careers, and they had longer stretches of good material.

And, erm, Pet Sounds is in my top 100 AT, but every other band left has at least one album I like better.

BillAdama
To me everything the Beach Boys did before Pet Sounds was bad, and everything after the Smile recordings was only okay.

What about Today!? It's a pretty great album,you could argue most of the songs on the second half are as good as Pet Sounds...

2 - Jimi Hendrix
1 - REM

Listyguy
BillAdama

I don't know about that. The Beach Boys had Kokomo, but Prince had Batman (sorry Moonbeam), Stevie Wonder had a couple of bad albums, as did R.E.M.

No problem! Prince has had some bad stuff, as has everybody left, I think. But I wouldn't give Batman that distinction - but rather stuff like Newpower Soul and Xpectation.

-2 Led Zeppelin
-1 R.E.M.

-2 R.E.M.
-1 Led Zep

Moonbeam
Listyguy
BillAdama

No problem! Prince has had some bad stuff, as has everybody left, I think. But I wouldn't give Batman that distinction - but rather stuff like Newpower Soul and Xpectation.

I would.

Voting is now over for the week.

BillAdama
To me everything the Beach Boys did before Pet Sounds was bad

So you're saying Don't Worry Baby and In My Room are "bad" songs. Are you absolutely sure of that, 'cause I was under the impression that those were both "good" songs.