Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Artists (surprisingly) NOT on Acclaimed Music at all

Which artists are you surprised do not have a single song or album entry on Acclaimed Music (not even bubbling under)?

For me, the first that comes to mind would be Lady Gaga. Although perhaps in future updates, her debut album and/or some of her hit songs ("Poker Face," "Bad Romance") will probably pop up. But right now I am surprised her name isn't even listed on AM.

When I think of/notice others, I will add them :P

Re: Artists (surprisingly) NOT on Acclaimed Music at all

The Alan Parsons Project.

I've got to rep my nominee in the moderate tournament this week Slowdive. They're one of the greatest bands to emerge from the shoegaze scene (many consider them second only to MBV), but they only have two bubbling-under albums.

Blitzen Trapper

I'm shocked Furr isn't at least a bubbler. It had a reasonably sized indie following.

Also Robert Randolph.

Stephan
The Alan Parsons Project.

I, Robot is a bubbler, Stephan.

Gotta go with Game Theory, the eighties Bay Area indie-rock band led by Scott Miller (later of The Loud Family) whose praises I've sung numerous times on this forum.

Toad The Wet Sprocket. Must be the name

the Apples in Stereo,Ladytron, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Trashcan Sinatras and Gore Gore Girls who were hugely influencial with the Detroit garage rival craze. If you want to talk more shoegaze bands that deserve to be there the Pale Saints,Curve, Kitchens of Distinction and the Lilys to name a few. I perfer all these bands to Slowdive and MBV.

You are completely correct Harold Wexler. Did it get added last update or have I just always been trying to find it listed under A?

Stephan
You are completely correct Harold Wexler. Did it get added last update or have I just always been trying to find it listed under A?

Alan is under P for Parsons, just like his brother, Gram.

Yeah, I realize that now, but because I see them as a band I only looked for them under A before. I'm assuming from your answer though, that "I, Robot" has been bubbling under for longer than the last update?

Hey Harold, what do you mean by "his brother Gram"...Is this a private joke...? You must be kidding me! If it is, I didn't get it...

Stephan
Yeah, I realize that now, but because I see them as a band I only looked for them under A before. I'm assuming from your answer though, that "I, Robot" has been bubbling under for longer than the last update?

Yeah, it's been there for a good while now. I can't remember how long.

o.m.
Hey Harold, what do you mean by "his brother Gram"...Is this a private joke...? You must be kidding me! If it is, I didn't get it...

Just me being silly, o.m. For the record, Alan Parsons is not related to Gram Parsons. And neither is related to Missing Parsons.

Powderfinger of Australia. In their homeland, they have great acclaim and some decent output, IMO, but I guess they aren't that well known overseas or by sources we analyze on the site. It's a shame.

matthew good (band) & matthew good (solo). canadian export. his best effort: 3.89 on rym. two others at 3.83 and 3.81. start with the 3.89 LP if you're curious.

sire
matthew good (band) & matthew good (solo). canadian export. his best effort: 3.89 on rym. two others at 3.83 and 3.81. start with the 3.89 LP if you're curious.

I loved Matthew Good Band in high school. He got too self indulgent when he went solo, but Beautiful Midnight, The Audio Of Being, Underdogs, very good albums.

Speaking of Canadian exports, The Tea Party.

Yes...

with decade-end and year-end singles lists and such to be added, I imagine Stephanie G. (aka Lady Gaga) will appear on the site.

Re: Yes...

Which is a shame.

I am amazed that Richard Buckner isn't anywhere on here. Devotion + Doubt is one of the best singer-songwriter albums of the 90s, if not ever.

Not really much of a surprise, given that contemporary jazz (read: anything from about 1980 on) is criminally under-represented on AM, but I gotta go with Brad Mehldau (and of course the Brad Mehldau Trio).

I just saw him in Seattle at Jazz Alley last night, and the show absolutely blew me away. He started off with a ten-minute-plus rendition of "Hey Joe" that I didn't even recognize until near the very end. The trio also played Sufjan Stevens' "Holland" and Nick Drake's "Time Has Told Me," and both were phenomenal. Of course, he did some standards as well, playing Sonny Rollins' "Airegin" as well as "Something Good" from The Sound of Music, "It Might as Well Be Spring," and "I Concentrate on You."

If there's anyone out there who is curious to get into jazz music but wants to kind of ease their way into the genre, I really recommend Mehldau. Most of his albums feature renditions of popular songs (he covers Radiohead quite often), but he's an excellent musician.

But to get this back on track with the thread, I'm a little disappointed that at least one of his albums isn't at least bubbling under.

Oh, another one... I know that as far as albums go, Oleta Adams doesn't really have anything that really stands out. But how in the world is the song "Get Here" not even bubbling under?!?

gin blossoms.

unfairly cast into critical obscurity, the group's mainstream breakthrough 'new miserable experience' is a great album of pop/rock songwriting. shame on any who judge based on ill memories of mid-90s fm saturation; hits like 'hey jealousy' and 'found out about you' contain melodic hooks to rival the la's or big star. and the lyrics - underrated documents of a tormented soul, songwriter doug hopkins, whose abrupt firing by the group led to his eventual suicide just as the band was hitting it big.

if hootie can have a bubbling under, surely the gin blossoms deserve one. for hootie never wrote a lyric as heartbreaking as:

"she had nothing left to say
so she said she loved me
and I stood there grateful for the lie"

Some of these artists may actually be somewhere on Acclaimed Music, but I haven't seen the reference (and I've looked):

Utopia
Dixie Dregs
Matchbox 20
Fray
Uriah Heep
Kenny Loggins
Dakona

I just realized that Herman's Hermits are not included on Acclaimed Music.net.

They aren't necessarily one of my personal favourites (a favourite of my dad's, though).

Herman's Hermits aren't even on the singles list? That's crazy! Their albums aren't very good (Even though I own them all on vinyl...) but some of those singles are classics. Herman's Hermits are the kind of band that gets left off these lists despite how much people love them. Not many people would put them on a top 100 singles list of all time let alone the 60's but at the same time, most people would start singing along if they heard Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter on the radio.

John
most people would start singing along if they heard Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter on the radio.

Shamefully,yes