#4 INXS vs. #13 A-Ha
#3 De La Soul vs. #14 Dio
#6 Eurythmics vs. #11 Don Henley
#7 The Go-Go’s vs. #10 .38 Special
#2 New Order vs. #15 New Edition

Re: UMT2:80's Region, Bracket #5

#1 The Smiths
#8 Kylie Minogue
#5 Soundgarden (considering George Clinto solo output only of course)
#4 INXS
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics
pass
#2 New Order

Fav band of the week : New Order
Fav song of the week : tough call... right now it might be A Rollerskating Jam Named Saturday (but How Soon is Now and Temptation could compete too)
Fav album : no top 200 material here, but I would go with 3 Feet High and Rising

#1 The Smiths (tough for Prefab Sprout with a #16 seed)
#8 Kylie Minogue (the Moonbeam match-up of the day)
#5 Soundgarden
#13 A-Ha (very close. A-ha deserve more recognition and get my vote.)
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics (easiest choice of the day)
#7 The Go-Go’s (I really like this game, so sorry for the complaints, but I wish some non-rock acts got the chance instead of the generic bands like .38 Special.)
#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths
#8 Kylie Minogue
#5 Soundgarden
#13 A-Ha
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics
#7 The Go-Go’s
#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths
#8 Kylie Minogue
#12 George Clinton
#4 INXS
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics
#7 The Go-Go’s
#2 New Order

Thanks!

The Smiths
Kylie Minogue
Soundgarden
Pass
De La Soul
Pass
The Go-Go's
New Order

Chalk.

#1 The Smiths

#8 Kylie Minogue (How in hell are the Time a #9 seed? Just in the 80s Region, this means they’re ranked higher than Don Henley, a-ha, Garth Brooks, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Boogie Down Productions, Fine Young Cannibals, Slayer and Thompson Twins. I like Ice Cream Castles as much as the next guy, but really?)

#5 Soundgarden (As Nassim implies, if this was P-Funk, Soundgarden would be crushed like a bug.)

#4 INXS (They’ve slipped a bit since the first UMT, when I believe they were a surprise #1 seed. Underrated band…by critics, anyway.)

#3 De La Soul

#6 Eurythmics

#7 The Go-Go’s

#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths
#8 Kylie Minogue
#5 Soundgarden
#4 INXS
#3 pass
#11 Don Henley
#10 .38 Special
#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths
#8 Kylie Minogue
#12 George Clinton - I think I've liked a song or two of his solo stuff... that's enough for me against Soundgarden.
#13 A-Ha
#3 De La Soul - Blow out of the day.
#6 Eurythmics
#7 The Go-Go’s
#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths
#9 The Time
#12 George Clinton
#4 INXS
PAss
#6 Eurythmics
Pass
#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths
pass
#12 George Clinton
#4 INXS
#3 De La Soul
pass (Don't know Don Henley)
pass
#2 New Order

#1 The Smiths - Hard to believe that I had someone ask me who The Smiths were. I was more than happy to educate, a course called Smiths 101...

#9 The Time - a surprising #9 seed from a band that ended up in a couple of top 100 lists just to make it in the tourney. I enjoy listening to their music much more than Kylie, with the exception of putting a Kylie video on mute!!!

#5 Soundgarden - I have to admit I have grown to dislike SG over the years, but beyond Atomic Dog I do not have a whole lot of knowledge of Clinton's solo stuff.

#4 INXS - It is crazy to see how many people think of A-Ha as a one-hit wonder, they are far from it. What they do not have is a "Don't Change" or the multitude of other INXS songs I enjoy.

#3 De La Soul - Though I do enjoy some RJ (R.I.P.), Dio just can't hang w/De La Soul. '3 Feet High And Rising' is at the pinnacle of what is known as the Golden Age of hip-hop. Let's not forget about all the great singles that came after 1989.

#6 Eurythmics -

#7 The Go-Go's - Belinda's my girl. Guilty pleasure or not, I really do enjoy listening to this band.

#2 New Order

Smiths
pass (don't like either)
Soundgarden (Clinton alone can't win, his other bands may)
INXS
De la Soul (closest match of the day)
Eurhythmics
.38 Special (also a tough one)
New Order

#1 The Smiths (If I'm voting based on one album it's Prefab Sprout but for total work you have to go Smiths)
#9 The Time
#12 George Clinton (Tough to separate what's Clinton/Parliament/P-Funk/etc, but I'll still go Clinton
#13 A-Ha
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics
#7 The Go-Go’s
#2 New Order

schleuse
How in hell are the Time a #9 seed? Just in the 80s Region, this means they’re ranked higher than Don Henley, a-ha, Garth Brooks, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Boogie Down Productions, Fine Young Cannibals, Slayer and Thompson Twins. I like Ice Cream Castles as much as the next guy, but really?

Well, their first 2 albums are much better than Ice Cream Castles and their brand of swagger-funk was pretty big in the 80s. I'm biased, obviously, but I'd put them well above all of those artists you listed.

20-point scale returns!

#1 The Smiths: 19, #16 Prefab Sprout: 11
#8 Kylie Minogue: 20, #9 The Time: 18 (Damn you, Slick!)
#5 Soundgarden: 12, #12 George Clinton: 16
#4 INXS: 16, #13 A-Ha: 15
#3 De La Soul: 14, #14 Dio: 8
#6 Eurythmics: 20, #11 Don Henley: 10
#7 The Go-Go’s: 15, #10 .38 Special: 10
#2 New Order: 19, #15 New Edition: 8

Great picks all around!

Slick

#7 The Go-Go's - Belinda's my girl. Guilty pleasure or not, I really do enjoy listening to this band.

There is no reason to be ashamed of liking The Go-Go's.

BillAdama

Really? "The Boys of Summer", "End of the Innocence" and "The Last Worthless Evening" don't ring a bell? They were pretty huge in the 80s.

Smiths
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
Don Henley (The Boys of Summer will be here soon!!)
New _____ (Joking, pass)

#1 The Smiths - blockbuster matchup,2 of my top 5 bands of the 80s
#8 Kylie Minogue
#5 Soundgarden
#4 INXS
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics - marginally
#7 The Go-Go’s
#2 New Order

Moonbeam
BillAdama

Really? "The Boys of Summer", "End of the Innocence" and "The Last Worthless Evening" don't ring a bell? They were pretty huge in the 80s.

Oh, I have heard The Boys Of Summer. I must have, considering I heard all of the top 1024 last year. I just didn't identify Don Henley by name.

Ok, I vote Eurythmics then. Boys Of Summer's a very good song, but if it's their best, and it's not as good as half of Sweet Dreams, I must just like Eurythmics better.

#1 The Smiths
#8 Kylie Minogue
#5 Soundgarden
#13 A-Ha
#3 De La Soul
#11 Don Henley
#10 .38 Special
#2 New Order

Moonbeam
BillAdama

Don't forget "The Heart of the Matter." Might not have been a hit, but give it a listen.

#1 The Smiths
pass
#5 Soundgarden
#13 A-Ha
#3 De La Soul
#6 Eurythmics
#7 The Go-Go’s
#2 New Order

RESULTS:
The Smiths 100% / Prefab Sprout 0%
Kylie Minogue 64.3% / The Time 35.7%
Soundgarden 80.6% / George Clinton 19.4%
INXS 76.7% / A-Ha 23.3%
De La Soul 90% / Dio 10%
Eurythmics 77.4% / Don Henley 22.6%
Go-Go's 62.1% / .38 Special 37.9%
New Order 80.6% / New Edition 19.4% *** One Write-In vote for New Kids On The Block***

Moonbeam
schleuse
How in hell are the Time a #9 seed? Just in the 80s Region, this means they’re ranked higher than Don Henley, a-ha, Garth Brooks, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Boogie Down Productions, Fine Young Cannibals, Slayer and Thompson Twins. I like Ice Cream Castles as much as the next guy, but really?

Well, their first 2 albums are much better than Ice Cream Castles and their brand of swagger-funk was pretty big in the 80s. I'm biased, obviously, but I'd put them well above all of those artists you listed.

I didn't mean to slag on the Time. Actually, I'd put them ahead of all of the artists I mentioned (except for BDP and SRV).

I just don't understand, given the criteria I think Slick is using, how they could possibly be rated ahead of them. Here's what I mean: all of the artists I listed are AM ranked (some of them in the top 400). The Time is not (although What Time is It? is bubbling under). I don't see how Slick's other criteria can push Morris Day's band ahead of ALL of them.