2. Treefight for Sunlight - Treefight for Sunlight
3. Cleaners From Venus - English Electric/The Stopping Train
4. Destroyer - Kaputt
5. Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

+ special mention for this good compilation :
The Radio Dept. - Passive Aggressive: Singles 2002-2010

Re: Albums of 2011

Polly Jean Harvey... breathtaking.

If you like this as much as i am right now, It's going to be a hell of a birthday gift to you Sean Park

Pretty good indeed. I'm liking "The Glorious Land" in particular.

Let England Shake is a hell of an album.

Tv On The Radio announces new album, set to be released in spring: Nine Types of Light.

And Let England Shake is so good, my favorite album of the year so far and "Last England Rose" is my favorite and her catchiest tune since the 12 tracks from Stories.

HRS
Tv On The Radio announces new album, set to be released in spring: Nine Types of Light.

That's great news! So now two of my five wishes are already announced.

I will try the new PJ Harvey soon, it's on npr.org.

I'm listening to Let England Shake right now, and although I'm only just halfway through I can already say that I really like what I hear and that this'll probably be my favorite album of 2011 up until now.

Cut Copy is being poptastic! What an awesome electronica record!

Really looking forward to PJ Harvey's. Although it's funny. Everybody loved White Chalk and I thought it was only okay. Nobody paid attention to A Woman A Man Walked By, and I loved it.

Battles is also returning this summer!

BillAdama
Really looking forward to PJ Harvey's. Although it's funny. Everybody loved White Chalk and I thought it was only okay. Nobody paid attention to A Woman A Man Walked By, and I loved it.

I'm still waiting for another Rid of Me

Either way, given this album's prerelease hype, I assume we'll see Polly Jane creep into the top 40 album artists of all time.

I for one, adore the new James Blake album. It has that same emotional tug that For Emma, Forever Ago had on me.

Looks like we'll be getting a new Strokes album this year. The first song sounds like '01 all over again...

I still haven't heard anything from 2011!

I'm sure I'll pick up PJ Harvey, and I'll sample James Blake, Destroyer and Cut Copy to see if I want to buy them.

Looking forward to:

The Strokes
Björk

Might not matter to a lot of people but after the ongoing endless hype i had to check the new Lady Gaga track that is supposed to be the "anthem of our generation" of her upcoming "groundbreaking masterpiece". Born This Way debuted today and is a Cheap and Generic track with lyrics that bring to mind previous "i have a message" pop singles that weren't that good by themselves neither (Firework anyone?) and to complete the epic fail, it sounds like a straight rip-off of Madonna's Express Yourself and i saw that some people also noticed TLC's Waterfalls and Alani's You Oughtta Know in the middle of it. Claps, claps to the so-called most original pop artist of our days (Give Me Robyn and Annie anyday). It's all about her image and crazy outfits, but honestly: Bjork pulled them off before and with much better albums.

From what I'm hearing of Iron & Wine it is a decent album. Never been a huge fan of the guy, but he seems to have found his own sound.

I find the Decemberists ok but their music is deja-vu (somewhere btween REM, Springsteen and Jayhawks) without much personality

HRS
Cut Copy is being poptastic! What an awesome electronica record!

I feel its kinda frontloaded. The first three songs are far and away the best things on the album compared to In Ghost Colours. Still like it though.

nicolas
I find the Decemberists ok but their music is deja-vu (somewhere btween REM, Springsteen and Jayhawks) without much personality

If this is the first Decemberists album you've heard, you should try out "Picaresque."

P.S. being somewhere between "REM, Springsteen and the Jayhawks" is not a bad place to be.

I want to mention again the Iron and Wine album, because I've just listened to it. Pretty good on my first listen, and the final song "Your Fake Name Is Good Enough For Me" is really impressive, if perhaps a bit schmaltzy. Still the best of the year for me is Smith Westerns, then PJ and Radiohead. Nothing so far has STRUCK me the way that Sleigh Bells/Deerhunter/Sufjan/Kanye did last year.

The new Kurt Vile album is awesome. I'd never heard of him before, but I checked out his old stuff and was unimpressed - so even if you know the name, it's worth checking out.

Albums that I've consider at least 7/10 this year...

Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean 9/10
Asteroid No. 4 - Hail to the Clear Figurines 8.5/10
Tennis - Cape Dory 7.5/10
Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo 7/10
Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde 7/10

I missed a couple and listened to a few good albums last night and today...

Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean 9/10
Asteroid No. 4 - Hail to the Clear Figurines 8.5/10
Akron/Family- ST II 8.5/10
Darwin Deez- ST 8/10
David Lowery- The Palace Guards 7.5/10
Tennis - Cape Dory 7.5/10
R.E.M.- Collapse Into Now 7/10
Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo 7/10
Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde 7/10

Lo-Fi + Male Singer Songwriter= Album of the Year. I already see Pitchfork and all the trendy publications licking their chops at the new Kurt Vile getting ready to put it in their top 3 of the year. It'll probably dethrown PJ Harvey because the poor woman never stays at the top for long. I remember To Bring You My Love being the #5 ranked album of all the 90s and look where it is now. Lauryn Hill was in the top 10 and Liz Phair wasn't far behind in the top 15, I think Sinead 'O Connor was in the top 20 or 25 for best albums of the 90s and all have fallen significantly. Tori and Alanis have dropped. Elastica has taken a major blow as well. They ranked as high in the US as they did in the UK and their just scraping the top 200 (of the 90s). Hole ranked really high at one time too I remember. I remember Cocteau Twins and the Sundays high in the top 150 and yeah My Bloody Valentine ranks high but nobody recognizes Belinda Butcher as the driving force behind the band. It's always been about Kevin Shields. I feel if Cocteau Twins were renamed the Robyn Guthrie band they'd rank in the top 100 albums of the 90s because he would be seen as the big influence amongst all the dreampop bands out there but a woman being considered influencial on bands that don't have a women IN THE BAND I think is kind of looked down upon. Oh except Nirvana because Nirvana sounds just like the Pixies right? Are you forgetting about Kim Deal's vocal contributions to the band? When was the last time you heard Kurt Cobain harmonizing like Kim Deal? She made the band sweet and even twee at times. As influncial as Kim was she still gets overlooked. Last Splash created a big splash at one time and it's drifting away like most female artist on Acclaimed Music. MIA made one bad album and she's gotten tons of negative press ever since. Anyway JAMC, the Spacemen 3 and Galaxy 500 and MAINLY Kevin Sheilds are considered influencial in the dreampop genre despite the fact it's one of the rare genres (along with twee) that has an equal amount of female artists as male. Sorry for rambling but to sum it all up I'm positive PJ Harvey will not have her 1st #1 album of the year which I'm sorry to say. Maybe if she were in her 20s she'd have a shot of making the top 3. I am thankful that Beth Gibbons is so far proving me wrong so I hope I'm wrong again this year :-)

The first great record of 2011 has been made, and its maker is Josh T. Pearson. Incredibly stark and sad record with magnificent lyrics sung by Jeff Buckley reincarnated. Wow!

Stephan
The first great record of 2011 has been made, and its maker is Josh T. Pearson. Incredibly stark and sad record with magnificent lyrics sung by Jeff Buckley reincarnated. Wow!

I'll check that one out.

To be fair I think a lot of MIA's bad press stems from her attitude. People were waiting for her to make a bad album so they could pounce on her. (And, I think the album is pretty decent.) A lot of people have remarked that her radical stances on materialism seem to contradict her comfortable lifestyle.

It is true that the ordering of 90's albums on lists seems to suffer from a bit of aesthetic revisionism.

No more than Zach De La Rocha's. I mentioned my dispise for terrible voices in music. I can understand metal and punk bands not having great vocalist as they can belt out some fierce screaming or wailing or gruting but I just can't stand the guys screeching voice. Plus they take themselves and their politics way too seriously. They remind me of rebelious teenagers at best. I'll take Audioslave over Rage any time.

As someone who genuinely liked First Impressions of Earth and really liked Julian Casablancas's solo album, I had reasonably high expectations for Angles. But it's really, really weak. Machu Picchu is OK, and Two Kinds of Happiness is very good, but those are the only songs I'm keeping.

Kurt Vile isn't even top 3 right now on Pitchfork so I doubt it finishes the year in their top 3.

The two new TV on the Radio songs sound pretty good, but it makes me doubt the album will be as good as their last two. It will definitely be a worthwhile listen though, as basically all of their material is.

Also, anyone with Lasers thoughts? It seems very Recovery to me - a great pop-rap album, which means cracking my Top 200 is about a 50-50 proposition. I like all the songs, but I doubt many of them are still in my rotation a month from now.

Kurt Vile is only improving in my eyes.

So I finally checked out Cults.

You Know What I Mean - holy Jesus Christ. I'll be surprised if I'm calling something else Song of the Year in eight months.

My updated top list:

1. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
(Big gap)
2. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing
3. Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
4. Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
5. Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol 2: Judges
6. The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar
(Big gap)
7. Gang Of Four - Content
8. Rumer - Seasons Of My Soul
9. James Blake - James Blake
10. Wire - Red Barked Tree

I don't bother listing anything below 7.5, so I've only got a top 5:

1. Josh T. Pearson - Last Of The Country Gentlemen
2. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
3. The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh
4. Destroyer - Kaputt
5. James Blake - James Blake

Still have to listen to Nicolas Jaar.

Coming out this month: The Kills, Panda Bear, Foo Fighters, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Tune-Yards, Vivian Girls, TV On The Radio, The Vaccines.

Leaked: Fleet Foxes {it's awesome on first listening}

Album of the Year: PJ Harvey's Let England Shake

I find it rather interesting how Harvey was the only artist to actually build something like a consensus as a top contender for album of the year, so far lock. All the other albums had at least one stinker review or very variated opinions. Hopefully others will help to turn the table for 2011, March has some pretty names coming out and there's Fleet Foxes in April and Cults is coming out soon.

HRS
Agreed. Definitely not a disappointment, despite very high expectations. It's not perfect (can't say I dig the 6:30-7:30 part on "The Shrine / An Argument" for example) and I don't think it's as good as the debut, but it's a lot of fun. It's going to be either #2 or #3 on my list.

Stephan
Agreed. Definitely not a disappointment, despite very high expectations. It's not perfect (can't say I dig the 6:30-7:30 part on "The Shrine / An Argument" for example) and I don't think it's as good as the debut, but it's a lot of fun. It's going to be either #2 or #3 on my list.

I agree! It's not perfect, but it's incredibly solid and a needed breath of fresh air for me when it comes to this year. March was slow, April looks promising with Panda Bear, TV On The Radio and Bill Calahan. By May and beyond we have the Foxes, My Morning Jacket, Death Cab for Cutie, Justice and a few others. So i'm hopeful and having expectations.

Edit: Both TV On The Radio's and Bill's have leaked and so far, from what i've sampled, they might be their most accessible releases to date. The Kills had been leaked for a little while and it could also fit the group.

HRS
Edit: Both TV On The Radio's and Bill's have leaked and so far, from what i've sampled, they might be their most accessible releases to date. The Kills had been leaked for a little while and it could also fit the group.
Haven't heard Callahan yet, but with the exception of "Caffeinated Consciousness" I very much enjoy "Nine Types of Light". Seems like they, like Radiohead, are more content with what they had and kind of stuck to it. Of course TVotR is a much better band than Radiohead, so this is still a very good album whereas "The King of Limbs" was kinda boring.

Oh, and "Second Song" is awesome, and not just for the fact that they put a song called "Second Song" as the first song on the album. Early contender for song of the year.

Bill Callahan's New record is magnificent. Bill has threatening to make his masterpiece for some time, and with "Apocalypse" he now has his "After the Gold Rush, Blood On The Tracks, Blue, Song of love and hate". Sounds like it was recorded live, giving it a sense of pending doom. At times reminding me oddly of slow grinding Sonic Youth songs. This album will definitely go down as one of the years finest records.

My big hangup with Bill Callahan is his voice. Talk-singing only works for me in a few specific cases. In a lo-fi context I find it extremely offputting.

On first listen I found King Of Limbs boring but it grew on me fast.

Looking forward to listening to both Fleet Foxes and TV on the Radio, but I will prbably wait for their official releases.

I will also look out for Bill Callahan's Apocalypse after your comments.

Now listening to Bibio's Mind Bokeh. Seems a bit uneven until now.

Stephan
HRS

I agree on both counts - a splendid follow-up, but just what were they thinking with that screechy little arrangement? I'm sure every critic is going to pull them up on that.

I think Track 10 - The Shrine / An Argument. Is the best piece they've done. Im sure I wont be alone in saying this. I think you guys need to dig a little deeper on this one. For a site that favors crazy music like "Merriweather Post Pavilion, Kid A, The Age Of Adz" I find some of these comments lacking any real interest. Dont sprinkle - drop bombs.

Paul D
For a site that favors crazy music like "Merriweather Post Pavilion, Kid A, The Age Of Adz" I find some of these comments lacking any real interest.
I don't like any of those albums.

Just listening to the new Timber Timbre, and it's very good creepy, folksy indie rock. A little too much spooky noise in between the good moments at times though.

Merriweather Post Pavilion, Age of Adz and Kid A are 'crazy'?

They're quirky, sure, but they're pretty accessible to anyone who's into indie.

Stephan
Of course TVotR is a much better band than Radiohead, so this is still a very good album whereas "The King of Limbs" was kinda boring.

Tune-Yards' W H O K I L L is sonically mindblowing. Indie music beautifully executed.

For folk fans there's the new Alela Diane out that i need to check out soon :D

BillAdama
Merriweather Post Pavilion, Age of Adz and Kid A are 'crazy'?

They're quirky, sure, but they're pretty accessible to anyone who's into indie.

We think these albums are normal because they are discussed all the time on this site and, presumably, others that we frequent. I bet if you played one of them to a pop music fan, they would call it "weird" or "crazy." That being said, I'm not sure how that's relevant to a discussion of the Fleet Foxes, one of the safest and least crazy artists I can think of.

I just think the only people who would call those albums 'Crazy' are people who only ever listen to one genre of music. I would rather reserve the term for the really weird stuff. Stuff like Animal Collective is mostly pop melodies with less polish and more distortion, and in some cases a liberal sprinkling of computer effects.

Viguen
Stephan
Of course TVotR is a much better band than Radiohead, so this is still a very good album whereas "The King of Limbs" was kinda boring.
I'm sorry, I forgot that when criticizing Radiohead or The Beatles you need to add a "IN MY OPINION" disclaimer.

Tune-Yards delivered the best album i've heard since Let England Shake hands down. This is something truly special. Pure pop bliss and reminded me of Kala in an awesome way.

Stephan
Viguen
Stephan
I'm sorry, I forgot that when criticizing Radiohead or The Beatles you need to add a "IN MY OPINION" disclaimer.

Since 2001 I would agree with you that TVotR's output has been far superior to Radiohead's. If you count Kid A and OKC, they'd be really close, with probably a slight edge to Radiohead (this is prior to hearing Nine Types of Light).

As far as who is the better band right now, I think TVotR is an easy call. They still have several good albums left in them, while Radiohead has been off their game for a while (I don't like In Rainbows).

Panda Bear streaming now at NPR for those who are interested and curious about it.

Panda Bear and tUnE-yArDs both feel a bit uneven to me, but whereas Tomboy varies between 4/10 and 7/10 tUnE-yArDs varies between 6/10 and 10/10. I've gotten a little ahead of the Best Moderately Acclaimed album game, so I had some time to listen to new albums. Here's my top 10:

1. Josh T. Pearson - Last Of The Country Gentlemen
3. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
4. TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
5. tUnE-yArDs - W H O K I L L
6. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse
7. Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde
8. Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On
9. James Blake - James Blake
10. Destroyer - Kaputt

A handful of the tracks on Tomboy are amazing. The rest I'm sure will sink in.

It's not a huge departure from Person Pitch, but it feels more dense, somehow aquatic and fills the room out. If PP was The Lion King, this is The Little Mermaid soundtrack.

Tomboy was really not the departure that i was expecting. All the "it's not the same sound of before" hype is wrong. It does look like a grower so i'll listen a few more times. The slower moments of W H O K I L L hold the album back in my opinion. So far. Hopefully they simply don't share the immediacy of others and will grow. Still not enough to overshadow the highs like My World, Gangsta, Powa, Killa and Bizzness. There's a lot to be enjoyed here and it's really the best pop album i've heard in a long time and a 2011 AM EOY top 20 top-contender. That's awesome to me. Fleet Foxes and TV On the Radio also growing with more listenings, especially the former.

Hopefully when these albums come out (yeah, they leaked or are being streamed) people will opine about them and post their lists, so far!

Albums I've heard so far-

1. James Blake- James Blake- 9.2
2. Let England Shake- PJ Harvey- 8.7
3. Tomboy- Panda Bear- 8.6
4. The King of Limbs- Radiohead- 8.3
5. Zonoscope- Cut Copy- 8.3
6. Angles- The Strokes- 7.8
7. Kaputt- Destroyer- 7.8

Albums I'm really looking forward to-

TV on the Radio
Fleet Foxes
Coldplay
Kanye West
Battles

I think Radiohead is better than TVOTR but I like TVOTR too much to take objection to any praise directed at them.

I'm getting into Bibio. I'm still trying to hear Josh T Pearson. Even though he's gotten physical release in the US his links aren't working on Rhapsody and he's only got two songs on Grooveshark.

Edit: You're right, Josh T Pearson is awesome.

I'm looking forward mostly to TVOTR and Fleet Foxes. I also have high hopes for Hercules and Love Affair.

That Tune-Yards album is killer! I don't want to turn it off!

New Panda Bear is terrific. One of the best releases in a long time. So mysterious. It'll take months for people to wrap there head around. Can't wait to hear it at the beach!

Heh, PF gave Josh T. Pearson a 4.0.

Stephan

Of course! I mean, it has no distortion at all.

1. Panda Bear - Tomboy
3. Fleet Foxes - helplessness Blues
4. Colin Stetson - History of warfare Vol 2.
5. Radiohead - King Of Limbs
6. Julianna Barwick - The Magic Place
7. TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
8. Bill Callahan - Apocalypse
9. OFF! - First 4 EP's
10. Gil Scott Herin/Jamie XX Remix - We're New Here

An Amazing year so far. So much great stuff too listen to.

Zorg
That Tune-Yards album is killer! I don't want to turn it off!

That's what i've been trying to do! I don't know if it will prove to have some staying power, but so far it's heavy rotation over here, especially for a 2011 release.

BillAdama
Stephan

Of course! I mean, it has no distortion at all.

Sad but true. They overlook it, but hopefully American critics won't jump the ship either. Europeans loved it and it deserves the raves.

Still listening to Panda Bear and Bill, they are slowly growing with each daily listening.

On first listen, Nine Types of Light was good but not great like their previous two. But TV on the Radio albums always take a few listens to sink in, so I'm sure it will grow on me. This one does seem more consistent but surprisingly lacks a standout track. "Second Song" is probably my favorite.

I like the new TV on the Radio as much as their other albums, which is to say some. "You" is my favorite - I've been walking around with that riff in my head for days.

In on the new Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Surprised it hasn't been brought up.

I still need to give a full listening to Crystal Stilts, Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Low! Hopefully they won't disappoint.

Albums That Matter:
1. Milkman - Algorithms
2. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
3. Lupe Fiasco - Lasers (almost entirely on the strength of The Show Goes On and Beautiful Lasers (2 Ways))
4. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
5. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
6. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
7. The White Panda - Pandamonium
8. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
9. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
10. Cut Copy - Zonoscope

Top 10 at the moment:

01. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
02. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
03. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
04. Nicolas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
05. Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
06. Raekwon - Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang
07. Josh T Pearson - The Last of the Country Gentlemen
08. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
09. Toro y Moi - Underneath the Pine
10. Panda Bear - Tomboy

Haven't heard the new Fleet Foxes yet though.

I have not heard much albums yet but what I have heard from the UK and US have been quite disappointing, except for the Dodos (still way behind Visitor though) and Bill Callahan.

French music has been strangely exciting, the most acclaimed (it's sort of a bet given that French critics tend not to give grades) must be Cascadeur, and I have to say it is very good on the first times. I will see if it stands the test of time, given that some acclaimed it quite sounds like did not age well (Cocoon, Aaron...). Midlake appears in 2 songs and it has been compared with Erik Satie and Robert Wyatt.
Be warned, a friend of mine told me that the lyrics are lame enough to be annoying ; my english is not good enough to notice that for now, but yours might be.

Le Prince Miaou and Joseph d'Anvers have received lot of praise too, but the biggest buzz is directed toward La Femme, a band of teenage Parisians. Usually, that's almost an insult given the shitty rock scene (the Brats, Plasticine, Naast, BB Brunes...) which spread in the past years. But here they take their influence from bands like Taxi Girl, Joy Division or Stereolab. The female singer voice can be slightly annoying (like Yelle, who released a rather acclaimed album recently too, or Stereloab) but on this song, Telegraphe (from the name of a parisian subway station), they sound very promising.

Ok, Nine Types of Light has grown on me to the point where I'd consider it about even with Let England Shake for AOTY so far. The chorus of "Second Song" is just the bomb.

I do agree with reviewers that say TVotR decided to make a very good album instead of the great one they could have made, but even a decent effort for them blows away most other bands.

I can see myself listening to this album for a long time.

Yeah, like I mentioned before I also think Second Song is absolutely fantastic.

Gave the new Battles a spin, and it's a slight disappointment. Not bad, by any means, and I didn't expect them to get another song like "Atlas" but it's a bit too muddy compared to "Mirrored" which had a much clearer sound.

Has anyone heard Paul Simon's new album? It's getting excellent reviews.

I've heard it. It's really bland, very similar to Surprise. I love his voice though so I can listen to even the bland stuff, but I'm really surprised to see the good reviews because it's really not that good. There wasn't a song that hooked me but at the same time it's always nice to hear Paul Simon sing a few new songs. I doubt I'll listen to it again though.

Really? I think it's great, certainly the best thing he's done since 1990. I'm a pretty big fan, but I'm really enjoying this more than his last few albums. It's beautifully melancholy with some great lyrics. Dazzling Blue is gorgeous.

I like Simon's new album, especially the first couple of songs. But it's not up there with the best of the year so far, in my opinion.

Furthermore, I like Low's C'mon a lot. Reminds me to get into their back catalogue.

For the past few days I have been listening to the new Foo Fighters "Wasting Light" non-stop. This is a band that put out some good albums in the past, but nothing as dynamic and powerful as this album. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in alot of year end lists. I wanted to get some feedback from anyone else that's checked it out so far and see if I am over-hyping this album, or if it's the real deal...

Slick
For the past few days I have been listening to the new Foo Fighters "Wasting Light" non-stop. This is a band that put out some good albums in the past, but nothing as dynamic and powerful as this album. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in alot of year end lists. I wanted to get some feedback from anyone else that's checked it out so far and see if I am over-hyping this album, or if it's the real deal...

No,this forum doesn't do mainstream rock

Max
Slick

No,this forum doesn't do mainstream rock

Douchenozzle, music is music... so if all the sudden indie goes top 40 does it make this forum irrelevant??? Just like 95% of top 40/pop, 95% of shit-hop and 95% of mainstream rock sucks ass, doesn't mean that when there is an exception to that it can't be discussed as relevant!!!

Slick

Douchenozzle, music is music... so if all the sudden indie goes top 40 does it make this forum irrelevant??? Just like 95% of top 40/pop, 95% of shit-hop and 95% of mainstream rock sucks ass, doesn't mean that when there is an exception to that it can't be discussed as relevant!!!

No doubt it will be too bland for all the hipsters on here,lumping it in with other lame post-Nirvana mainstream rock like Nickelback and Creed

Max
Slick

No doubt it will be too bland for all the hipsters on here,lumping it in with other lame post-Nirvana mainstream rock like Nickelback and Creed

1) Mainstream rock does suck. That's pretty much unavoidable. Although I am a pretty big fan of the Foo Fighters, Coldplay, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, QOTSA, and The White Stripes, five bands that seem to dominate the mainstream rock charts whenever they put out an album.
2) That being said, I do love indie as a whole much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much more than mainstream rock as a whole. The reason this forum doesn't like mainstream rock very much isn't because we're pretentious hipsters, the reason is that everyone here has good taste.

Way to dis the entire forum with your first post, especially without citing any facts to back up your viewpoint.

I don't think there's a single person here who can't distinguish between the quality of Nickelback and the Foo Fighters. And while I'm all for genre diversity, listening to even a few songs on virtually any mainstream rock radio station is nauseating. Looking at this chart, there's little hope for mainstream rock outside of the Black Keys, Foo Fighters, Strokes, etc.

Slick

I still have the Colour and the Shape in my all time top 50 ans it is clearly their best album in my opinion. I would put the self titled second and One by One third. Wasting Light is a good album, probably close to One by One quality and much better than In Your Honor and the very disappointing Echoes Silence Patience & Grace.
I'm not sure it is good enough for a EOY high placement though, it seems far from the Colour and the Shape or Songs for the Deaf.

The Foo Fighters have a few really good songs, but even their bad songs are leagues better than Nickelback.

Creed has a couple respectable songs too. Way better than Nickelback, way less good than Foo Fighters.

How many posts in this forum have you actually read? Mainstream rock is pretty popular. There just hasn't been much of it since about 1996.

In fact, I think a lot of the big indie acts now could have been mainstream in the 80's or early 90's. Not all of them, but certainly ones like The National, TV On The Radio, Arcade Fire.

Nick
Max
Slick

1) Mainstream rock does suck. That's pretty much unavoidable. Although I am a pretty big fan of the Foo Fighters, Coldplay, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, QOTSA, and The White Stripes, five bands that seem to dominate the mainstream rock charts whenever they put out an album.
2) That being said, I do love indie as a whole much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much more than mainstream rock as a whole. The reason this forum doesn't like mainstream rock very much isn't because we're pretentious hipsters, the reason is that everyone here has good taste.

But there's also a ton of incredibly overrated indie musicians out there especially if their lead singer doesn't know how to sing. The whole sounding lofi vintage thing has run it's course. If the band is making money they should produce big sounding albums. So what if a nerdy indie critic labels it as (the DREADED)OVERPRODUCED. Better overproduced than generic and indie music can sound generic too. Just because a band doesn't go hog wild with auto tune or has the next flavor of the month British, young, female wannabe soul singer with a thick accent as their lead singer doesn't mean they can't sound as formulaic as the next hipster, Coachella aspiring, bland indie group. This year has had a lot of highlights especially in indie music but indie isn't always as fulfilling as the critics lead you to believe.

I agree there's some lo-fi that's just pop melodies with a grating quirky throaty voice and a lot of noise, and Pitchfork overrates it heavily, causing lots of other critics to follow suit.

But, that doesn't mean the whole appeal of lo-fi is just a 'Hipster fad' that's 'run its course'. Lower production brings out the emotion and the energy of a song and showcases the songwriting and technical talent of individual members of the group. Whereas high production when misused makes the song sound bloated, artificial and generic. Some producers go as far as to adjust the pitch of the instruments so everything sounds exactly the same, and it drains the personality out of the song.

The production level of a song should be based on what suits the sound of the band and the needs of the song.

I also dislike the term overproduced. "Poorly produced" would be better to use in almost all of these situations. Overproduced makes it sound like adding production effects inherently makes a song worse, as if songs like "Tomorrow Never Knows" would be better if they were stripped down.

Lo-fi production is pretty hit or miss, but it's undeniable some artists do it well (ex. The Microphones). A lot of Pitchfork-endorsed stuff that I don't like also falls under this category, so I agree with BillAdama with that point.

Overproduced applies to a lot of rock music today. You can call it poorly produced I guess, but one of the main reasons it sucks is because the producer is the driving force behind the album instead of the band. It's why bands who jump to major labels put out bad albums quite frequently- the producer tries to get his signature on the music instead of just letting the music speak for itself.

John
Overproduced applies to a lot of rock music today. You can call it poorly produced I guess, but one of the main reasons it sucks is because the producer is the driving force behind the album instead of the band. It's why bands who jump to major labels put out bad albums quite frequently- the producer tries to get his signature on the music instead of just letting the music speak for itself.

That's not always a bad thing. It's how Phil Spector became famous because of his legendary Wall of Sound. Maybe it didn't work for every band but for the female groups it did work for, they became as popular as he did in their prime. In the indie world we have Steve Albini, Butch Vig, Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno who all have a distinctive sound and they've released some of the most acclaimed albums of the last 30+ years

Exactly. High production works for some bands and not for others. U2 or Kanye West wouldn't be the same groups if it weren't for their perfectionist approaches to effects and mixing.

Of course, in those cases, the artist is in charge of the producing. Also, the artist writes their own songs and has control over the music. I guess those are necessities for production to be a good thing. In pop songs where every drum hit sounds identical the next, every note is exactly on pitch and the singer's voice sounds perfectly smooth, it sounds forced and dull.

I've only heard 5 albums from 2011, and none of them are particularly great. My favorites so far:

1. The Strokes - Angles
2. The Human League - Credo
3. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

New Alison Krauss is awesome.

Horray for Bluegrass!

Not a huge fan of J Mascis's 2011 solo effort, but Where Are You is a fantastic song, and there are a couple other strong showings, as well.

Bon Iver returns in June

I'm sticking with my review of So Beautiful after listening to it again. There just aren't any memorable moments on the album for me, it just floats at the same level the entire album. It's missing that trademark Paul Simon soul just like the past couple albums.

I liked Paul Simon quite a bit. At least, as much as any of his other solo stuff I've heard. I also recommend Charles Bradley. It sounds like a Motown recording.

Does anyone know how to get more information about releases from groups from various genres lumped in the US as 'World'? Say, French rock, Brazilian pop, Japanese rock, Indian pop, etc? All the music publications from those countries seem to focus on the same music American publications do.

I feel like there's all these local rock scenes around the world I'm missing out on, and I don't have any portal to explore them.

BillAdama
I liked Paul Simon quite a bit. At least, as much as any of his other solo stuff I've heard. I also recommend Charles Bradley. It sounds like a Motown recording.

Does anyone know how to get more information about releases from groups from various genres lumped in the US as 'World'? Say, French rock, Brazilian pop, Japanese rock, Indian pop, etc? All the music publications from those countries seem to focus on the same music American publications do.

I feel like there's all these local rock scenes around the world I'm missing out on, and I don't have any portal to explore them.

http://www.worldmusic.net/store/browse/label/rough-guide/

BillAdama

Same here.
I find sruff here on AM in the end-of year spreadsheet from rest-of-the-world publications.
I also find stuff on RYM, genre "world music" or even "jazz", "folk" or "classical music", and by selecting "Limit to artists who were born in (or are currently located in) the following countries"

Pains of Being Pure At Heart- Belong is my new favorite album of 2011.

Off the top of my head, in a very vague order, are my favorites of the year so far.

1) PJ Harvey (It has grown on me with each listening, because I wasn't super impressed at first.)
2) Lykke Li (I'm surprised by a couple of things: a) That I like it this much, because it's generally not my type of music. b) No one else has mentioned it yet. Seems like she'd be right up Moonbeam's ally.)
3) The Decemberists (They're better when they don't have any grand concept they're trying to pull off)
4) TV on the Radio (I've only given it a couple of listens so far, so it could be a mover.)
5) James Blake (I'm surprised I like this one as well, but it's great mood music.)
6) The Drive-By Truckers (Consistently good as usual.)
7) Paul Simon (I think it's a notch above "Surprise," pretty even with "Rhythm of the Saints" and two notches below "Graceland.")
8) Tennis (Pretty hard to resist)

I can't remember anything else impressing me all that much. I haven't heard the Fleet Foxes yet, but I have heard Radiohead.

James Pants sounds like the modern day Suicide. Which isn't that bad a thing, really.

1 2 3