Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A division system game?

OK, I know we have enough games already...but I got this idea and I want to know if anyone (Stephan or BillAdama maybe?) knows a site that could run this automatically.

What I would like to do is to create division leagues with albums as "teams", and then use a voting system (perhaps pairwise match-ups but probably a vote between all albums at once would be more fun as it would make the game much faster) so that some albums move up and others move down for the next "season".

Re: A division system game?

I don't think it exists. It could be written, of course, but I'm not that good a programmer.

You mean something like this:

Division A:
1) Album A
2) Album B
3) Album C
4) Album D

Division B:
1) Album E
2) Album F
3) Album G
4) Album H

Next cycle:
Division A: A B E F
Division B: C D G H

Kind of like a ladder league?

I might be able to figure out how to program something like that, but I'd have to brush myself up on a lot of stuff. I have a pretty good idea how to handle the front end and back end individually but I don't know much about bridging the two. I'll get back to you on that later after my thesis is done.

BillAdama
You mean something like this:

Division A:
1) Album A
2) Album B
3) Album C
4) Album D

Division B:
1) Album E
2) Album F
3) Album G
4) Album H

Next cycle:
Division A: A B E F
Division B: C D G H

Kind of like a ladder league?

I might be able to figure out how to program something like that, but I'd have to brush myself up on a lot of stuff. I have a pretty good idea how to handle the front end and back end individually but I don't know much about bridging the two. I'll get back to you on that later after my thesis is done.
Yes, exactly. That sounds awesome! I take it that you liked my idea then, but we probably need some more positive comments before you put too much thought into this thing. And of course you should finish your thesis first - good luck with that!

I can program something that does this in R, but that's probably not practical for what you're after.

I did something similar with MLM over the summer. I could find the thread if you wanted to see it.

Edit: Had the first "season" of MLM gone well, I was oging to open up the oppurtunity for forum members to "manage" teams, with a draft, trading and everything. However, this would lead to less voters, so I figured it wouldn't work, especially since MLM wasn't that popular to start with.