Author
Comment
JESUS EFFING CHRIST NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM DROPPING THIS WEEK

as if Arcade Fire winning the Grammy wasn't enough, get a load of this:

http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/DIGBP.htm

wowza

Re: JESUS EFFING CHRIST NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM DROPPING THIS WEEK

I just read this on another forum.

This is really, really great news! I'm very excited indeed.

I'm still in doubt wether to pre order the Newspaper album or the digital only version and then wait for the regular cd release.

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT.

I'm crossing my fingers that this new album continues the godly winning streak of albums since 1995's "The Bends".

I almost had a stroke! Now i'm happy! OUT OF NOWHERE!

Nick

I'm crossing my fingers that this new album continues the godly winning streak of albums since 1995's "The Bends".

The odds are always against them, but I think they can pull it off. Only 3 or 4 artists have 7 albums in the top 500. Of those, none of them have 7 in a row. So this'll be quite a feat if they pull it off.

Jonathon
Nick

The odds are always against them, but I think they can pull it off. Only 3 or 4 artists have 7 albums in the top 500. Of those, none of them have 7 in a row. So this'll be quite a feat if they pull it off.

But even is this album will make it, I guess Hail to the Thief is going to drop off sooner or later.

I have a hunch that it's going to be a pretty good album. Don't know why, but I feel like this band is good in the clutch

Gillingham
Jonathon
Nick

But even is this album will make it, I guess Hail to the Thief is going to drop off sooner or later.

True. It's barely in there, and last update it was actually outside of the top 500.

I actually have mixed feelings about Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief. Both are great albums, but I think they get slightly overrated based on being Radiohead albums. Amnesiac being kind of disjointed, with high highs and low lows, and HTTT being overlong and kind of second rate compared to the big 4.

I think about 540 for Amnesiac and 710 for HTTT would be more justified rankings. Neither is to me, the 5 star classic that a top 500 ranking implies, even though both are very good albums.

Great news! Can't wait for this one, but... "The King of Limbs?" That doesn't sound very Radiohead-y.

But I'm not going to be the one to quibble about semantics. I can't wait to hear the new album.

And this might sound like a stupid question but if I get the WAV version will it work through iTunes? And is it worth the extra bucks? (pounds, I guess)

It's pretty incredible that Radiohead managed to keep this secret.

Anyway, 2011 just became awesome.

Evan
And this might sound like a stupid question but if I get the WAV version will it work through iTunes? And is it worth the extra bucks? (pounds, I guess)

WAV plays in iTunes.

But yeah, I'm excited.

Jonathon

Did those other 3 or 4 artists also had the opportunity to work for FOUR friggin' years on an album? If you're allowed that much time to make a follow-up it better be good.

Mindrocker
Jonathon

Did those other 3 or 4 artists also had the opportunity to work for FOUR friggin' years on an album? If you're allowed that much time to make a follow-up it better be good.
That doesn't matter. A lot of artists have that opportunity these days. Besides, If you make more albums, you have more opportunities to make a good album (in terms of quantity).

Moreover, there are more active bands today. So I think it's best to say chances are more or less equal for all.

Forget about a great year in music. This could be one of the greatest WEEKS in music, ever. Arcade Fire won the top Grammy to kick it off, then PJ Harvey's new one drops today/tomorrow, then King of the Limbs on Saturday. Oh, and it's my birthday week.

I have my doubts about the album...Thom Yorke's got a solo career now.

At this stage in their career I'm not too excited. In Rainbows is somewhat underwhelming for me, and I don't think they've made a truly great album since Kid A.

It'll definitely be worth a listen (a new Radiohead album is an event unlike a release by any other alternative/indie band), but I'm more excited about several other upcoming albums this year.

Gillingham
Mindrocker
Jonathon

That doesn't matter. A lot of artists have that opportunity these days.

Can you name 10 artists that have the luxury to work for 4 years on an album? (And then I'm not talking about the ones that've been dropped, and after years get a second chance by another record company).

Mindrocker
Gillingham
Mindrocker
Jonathon

That doesn't matter. A lot of artists have that opportunity these days.

Can you name 10 artists that have the luxury to work for 4 years on an album? (And then I'm not talking about the ones that've been dropped, and after years get a second chance by another record company).
First of all, let's say 3 and a half years, as was the case with Radiohead (not even actually). Secondly, they worked quite a bit on solo albums/projects as well (Greenwood, Selway, Yorke) and therefor also invested in other music meanwhile.

But still: Boards of Canada, Bob Dylan, Arcade Fire, Aphex Twin, Portishead, The Avalanches, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Gil Scott-Heron, The Rolling Stones, Sufjan Stevens, Damien Rice, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, R.E.M., U2, Massive Attack, Massive Attack, The Strokes, Gorillaz, etc. Something like that?

Gillingham
still: Boards of Canada, Bob Dylan, Arcade Fire, Aphex Twin, Portishead, The Avalanches, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Gil Scott-Heron, The Rolling Stones, Sufjan Stevens, Damien Rice, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, R.E.M., U2, Massive Attack, Massive Attack, The Strokes, Gorillaz, etc. Something like that?

Something like that? Welll...
The last regular albums by Aphex Twin date from 2001, Avalanches 2000, Boards Of Canada 2001, Tom Waits 2004, Godspeed You Black Emperor 2002 and Damien Rice 2006, we're discussing current artists here, aren't we.
Also, I consider Neil Young the opposite of those bands. Where some artists take 3 years to issue a new album, Young releases four new ones during the same period.
Anyway, there are still plenty of your examples left, so you win. But the discussion was also about the question if Radiohead will be able to pull off another great album. How many of the names you mentioned do you see coming up with another record that can equal or even topple their highly acclaimed efforts? REM, Strokes, Massive Attack, the Stones?

Jackson
At this stage in their career I'm not too excited. In Rainbows is somewhat underwhelming for me, and I don't think they've made a truly great album since Kid A.

This is the exact thing I came in here to post. I really hope there's a change of direction on this album, because while the last few albums have been good, Radiohead is a great band that seems to have settled for good.

I'm with J&J, although I don't think Radiohead has ever really been a great band. To continue with the negativity, there's not a lot of promise in the artists set to release something in 2011; as far as I can see only Fleet Foxes and the Jeezy/Jayzy collaboration are really promising. And maybe The Wrens can pull off something amazing.

Mindrocker
Gillingham
still: Boards of Canada, Bob Dylan, Arcade Fire, Aphex Twin, Portishead, The Avalanches, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Gil Scott-Heron, The Rolling Stones, Sufjan Stevens, Damien Rice, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, R.E.M., U2, Massive Attack, Massive Attack, The Strokes, Gorillaz, etc. Something like that?

Something like that? Welll...
The last regular albums by Aphex Twin date from 2001, Avalanches 2000, Boards Of Canada 2001, Tom Waits 2004, Godspeed You Black Emperor 2002 and Damien Rice 2006, we're discussing current artists here, aren't we.
Also, I consider Neil Young the opposite of those bands. Where some artists take 3 years to issue a new album, Young releases four new ones during the same period.
Anyway, there are still plenty of your examples left, so you win. But the discussion was also about the question if Radiohead will be able to pull off another great album. How many of the names you mentioned do you see coming up with another record that can equal or even topple their highly acclaimed efforts? REM, Strokes, Massive Attack, the Stones?
Not that it matters, but the last one of the Boards is from 2005. And I named those acts, because there are rumours of a new album by almost all of them. And if they do release an album they had a lot of time to spent on those records.

Back to the real question. I don't expect much more than mere good albums from the artists you mention. And that's if we're lucky... But when it comes to Radiohead things are quite different, in my view. While Hail to the Thief wasn't Radiohead on top of their game (still good though), In Rainbows definitely was. Actually, it's my favorite album. So even if they won't pull off another mind-boggling change of direction like Kid A, I'm still very excited. Maybe I don't expect another critics-darling like OK Computer or Kid A, but I know they still have some amazing music under their sleeves. More so, they haven't faltered since The Bends.

Fine...I'll do it since it's going on heavily in the PJ Harvey thread:

Pablo Honey: 5.0
The Bends: 10.0
OK Computer: 10.0
Kid A: 10.0
Amnesiac: 9.0
Hail to the Thief: 8.5
In Rainbows: 10.0

well....Jonathon did it, guess I have to now.

I haven't actually heard all of Pablo Honey, so I'll skip that one.

The Bends- 9.9
OK Computer- 10.0
Kid A- 10.0
Amnesiac- 9.3
Hail to the Thief- 8.8
In Rainbows- 9.7

I don't think any other band, bar The Beatles, has this good of an album streak.

Alright then...

Pablo Honey: 5.0
The Bends: 8.0
Kid A: 10.0
In Rainbows: 10.0

Pablo Honey: 7.0
The Bends: 9.5
Kid A: 9.2
Hail to the Thief: 8.7
In Rainbows: 9.7

Not a whole lot of Love for Pablo Honey, which I think is an outstanding album!!!

Pablo Honey 8.5
The Bends 9.5
OK Computer 9.5
Kid A 8.8
Amnesiac 8.2
Hail To The Thief 7.2
In Rainbows 9.5

Pablo Honey: 6.0
The Bends: 7.5
OK Computer: 8.0
Kid A: 7.5
Amnesiac: 7.0
Hail to the Thief: 6.5
In Rainbows: 7.0

I couldn't do it with PJ Harvey, but I can with Radiohead because I've heard their albums much more.

Pablo Honey: 6.5
The Bends: 10
OK Computer: 9.5
Kid A: 10
Amnesiac: 8.5
In Rainbows: 9 (with second disc included, otherwise it's too short)

To the Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers: I think there is no problem with a new Radiohead album being an Event and us being bloody excited about it. Don't forget that they are a top 10 artist on this site, no small feat. They are also the youngest in that top 10. It's safe to say that any new Radiohead release deserves to be a huge deal.

We also have to consider how novel their release system has been for the last two records, and especially for this one. For how many modern albums can we say didn't have a leak before the release, consequently letting all of us listen to it for the first time right when it came out? To hear it and form first impressions "together, collectively" if you will. And then, The King of Limbs goes even one further: we won't even have a track list 'til it comes out (at least, not yet; maybe they will give it to us a day or two before Saturday, but my point still stands). Furthermore, music critics won't be able to hear it before the general populace does. I think that's truly extraordinary. The lack of any advance critical buzz about the music really gets my blood pumping with anticipation.

Pablo Honey 6
The Bends 8
OK Computer 10
Kid A 10
Amnesiac 6.5
Hail To The Thief 8
In Rainbows 7.5

Pablo Honey - outside Top 200 all-time
The Bends - #21 all-time
OK Computer - #9
Kid A - #89
Amnesiac - outside Top 200 all-time
Hail to the Thief - #52
In Rainbows - #44

Sean Pak
To the Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers: I think there is no problem with a new Radiohead album being an Event and us being bloody excited about it. Don't forget that they are a top 10 artist on this site, no small feat. They are also the youngest in that top 10. It's safe to say that any new Radiohead release deserves to be a huge deal.
Oh, absolutely, I fully understand that there are a lot of people who love Radiohead and for whom this is a big deal. I wish I could get excited about it—and 'get' Radiohead—but I just can't. I was just expressing my own opinion about the event.

hmm

The Bends - 8.8
OK Computer - 9.7
Kid A - 9.6
Amnesiac - 9.1
Hail To The Thief - 9.2
In Rainbow - 9.4

rough p4k style. Rounded up to .5/.0 it'd be a good 9.0, 10.0, 10.0, 9.0, 9.0, 9.5

that's pretty fucking good really.

OK Computer 8.3
Kid A 7.4

That's all I've got.

I may pick up Amnesiac at some point, though.

BREAKING: my ratings, since I'm sure you're so interested.

Pablo Honey 5.5
The Bends 8.7
OK Computer 10.0
Kid A 9.7
Amnesiac 9.2
Hail to the Thief 8.4
In Rainbows 9.5

Really hope I can add another 8+ on Saturday (preferably 9+)

Pablo Honey 6.5
The Bends 9
OK Computer 10
Kid A 9.5
Amnesiac 7
Hail To The Thief 7.5
In Rainbows 8.5
King Of Limbs 4 (I've heard it,really disappointing)

Johnny
Pablo Honey 6.5
The Bends 9
OK Computer 10
Kid A 9.5
Amnesiac 7
Hail To The Thief 7.5
In Rainbows 8.5

Here's to hoping you heard a fake version

The ones I've heard...

OK Computer 8.0
Kid A 9.0
Amnesiac 7.5
In Rainbows 7.0

I've got to admit it, a Radiohead album release is an event that no other group could pull off in today's music world. Like Kanye's album, it's just exciting to be around for the hype for The King of Limbs regardless of how good it turns out to be. That being said, I relistened to In Rainbows today and still found most of it to be mediocre. I hope they're significantly more experimental on this album.

Pablo Honey: 3.5/5
The Bends: 4/5
OK Computer: 5/5 and my all-time favorite
Kid A: 5/5
Amnesiac: 4/5
Hail to the Thief: 4/5
In Rainbows: 5/5

Radiohead is also #5 on my favorite artists list. King of Limbs may easily move them either up or down. I'm hoping for their best album since Kid A or at least In Rainbows. Go Radiohead! Thank you for this awesome news.

Wait, wait. My only choices are 'Digital only' and 'Digital + 2 vinyl + CD + extras' for $45?!

...Can't I just have the CD, or digital + CD for regular CD price?

My Radiohead faves:

All time rank) Album name
#7) Kid A
#9) OK Computer
#59) In Rainbows
#86) Hail To The Thief
#146) Amnesiac
#166) The Bends

Evan
Johnny
Pablo Honey 6.5
The Bends 9
OK Computer 10
Kid A 9.5
Amnesiac 7
Hail To The Thief 7.5
In Rainbows 8.5

Pretty much no-one in the world has the record, I call bullshit

Ddiamondd
Evan
Johnny
Pablo Honey 6.5
The Bends 9
OK Computer 10
Kid A 9.5
Amnesiac 7
Hail To The Thief 7.5
In Rainbows 8.5

Pretty much no-one in the world has the record, I call bullshit

I'm sorry,I forgot to mention my last name is Greenwood

Johnny

I believe it's spelt Jonny without the h. Better luck next time, Mr Greenwood. I second the bullshit call.

Dan M
Johnny

I believe it's spelt Jonny without the h. Better luck next time, Mr Greenwood. I second the bullshit call.

Gee, ya think? Because we all know Mr. Greenwood would rag on his own band's album...

Anyway, I really loved In Rainbows and I'm confident this will be great as well. Strange album title/cover though.

BillAdama
Wait, wait. My only choices are 'Digital only' and 'Digital + 2 vinyl + CD + extras' for $45?!

...Can't I just have the CD, or digital + CD for regular CD price?

The CD comes out at the end of March. Seriously, this thing is being released in so many different ways and dates, that fact is easy to miss.

I'll just wait for a free download to pop up somewhere on the net,then buy it when it comes out if it's good enough - no point paying for it twice...

First single and video from The King of Limbs: Lotus Flower is up! Radiohead youtube channel

How old was Thom? Anyway, it's groovy.

Guys, it's available! I'm listening to it now. Sounds terrific. Great grooves.

It's another step away from The Bends and OK Computer. The only small negativish feedback I can give right now is that the duration is rather short with 37 minutes.

After two listens, I like it but it's their weakest by a stretch since Pablo Honey.

I am the kind of Radiohead fan who would follow them blindly into a ravine but this appears to me, whatever people may say, to be a strong B-sides collection. I just hope they get another record out in a shorter time than 4 years.

The ball is in your court, The Strokes.

Sneaky bastards pulled another fast one. Only at song two but I like the feel they are going for so far.

I'm only on my second listen but I really like it. No telling where it will stand right now amongst their others but all I know is I'm really enjoying it. Maybe part of it has to do with the fact Cosmogramma was one of my favorite albums last year, and Thom seems to have been especially influenced by Flying Lotus.

It's like In Rainbows, only if it was worse and only eight songs long.

From anyone but Radiohead or Arcade Fire or maybe Kanye, I'd be impressed. I'm pretty meh on it for now, though.

Separator is a SONG.

I think we need to get over the 37 minute thing and that's what Radiohead is trying to get us to do. I mean, in the days of LPs that would've been a normal length. Then consider that the "main" form of the album is two 10"s, for which 37 minutes sounds about right. Within those tightly packed 8 tracks are lots of subtle details, atmosphere, weirdness, beauty, and nary a weak song. Plus, this one will be a grower in the best possible sense, I just know it. I'm already noticing things on my second and third listen I hadn't before. But hey, for those who were longing for something lengthier, there's this mouth-watering speculation:

"The last song is called 'Separator' and the last lyric is something about it not being the end. Double album?"

I wouldn't be surprised by a second disc in the near future; In Rainbows had one. Also, there's that exclusive 2-track record that a lucky buyer will receive, which technically should considered part of the album, and in due time those will be available online and we can tack them onto these 8 tracks.

Pablo Honey- 2.5
The Bends- 5.0
OK Computer- 5.0
Kid A- 5.0
Amnesiac- 4.5
Hail to the Thief- 4.5
In Rainbows- 5.0
King of Limbs- 4.5 (For now. It seems like a grower)

It'll be interesting to see if King of Limbs matters enough to affect RH's acclaimed ranking (will it break their top 6 albums?)

As Fucking great as this album is. I suspect we'll get another taste next year (Similar to the Kid A/Amnesiac release). In Rainbows was released with a bunch of BONUS TRACKS that still stand with the best of the lead album. Maybe the band felt it was a waste to drop those tracks for free only a short while later when everyone received their box-sets. For a band that has been trying to revolutionize the music industry and the way music is released. this could be part of a strategy.

This album is amazing though. Its like modern day Remain In Light, but maybe even better than that. Maybe RADIOHEAD'S BEST EFFORT YET. I love it!

Radiohead has not revolutionized the music industry. All they have done is gotten themselves out of it.

Jonathon
Pablo Honey- 2.5
The Bends- 5.0
OK Computer- 5.0
Kid A- 5.0
Amnesiac- 4.5
Hail to the Thief- 4.5
In Rainbows- 5.0
King of Limbs- 4.5 (For now. It seems like a grower)

It'll be interesting to see if King of Limbs matters enough to affect RH's acclaimed ranking (will it break their top 6 albums?)

Make that a 5.0. Radiohead does it again.

Lethem
Its like modern day Remain In Light
I was thinking the same thing. The (kind of repetitive) groovy, forthcoming rhythm section and all... Even some Afro beats.

VanillaFire1000
Radiohead has not revolutionized the music industry. All they have done is gotten themselves out of it.
Haha, I love that. And so true. Unfortunately.

After 1 listen I have to say it's in line with what I expected, a slightly better version of HTTT. I hope it really is a grower, though.

I will do one for the sake of doing one:

The Bends: 3.5
Ok Computer: 4/4.5
Kid A: 4.5/5
Amnesiac:5
HTTT:4
In Rainbows:3.5/4
The King of Limbs (what a silly title btw):4

Bear in mind, that the 4 I gave is after 2 and a half listens and so probably not very indicative of what i'm gonna feel months down the road. I do feel it's a bit tame though.

Gillingham
Lethem
Its like modern day Remain In Light
I was thinking the same thing. The (kind of repetitive) groovy, forthcoming rhythm section and all... Even some Afro beats.

I might have to check this out, then! I love Remain in Light.

Sorry i just can't see a 5 here. It's great, a grower. But after the last track, iTunes suffled to Just from The Bends and i had to listen to that album again, genius and i sang those songs again with all my iron lungs. I cannot put this new album in such a level. Top 5 of the year for sure, grower for sure, i'm hoping it can reach this level of excellence, but so far not a 5, borderline excellence, heading towards a super-b album, but not a masterpiece, so far.

The orders mentioned a 2x10" vinyl set, are marked TKOL1 and Separator does allude to there being more to come

*crosses fingers, toes, everything*

The silence is deafening - I take it no one was exactly blown away by the album. I saw how excited everyone here was after the Kanye West and PJ Harvey albums. The buildup was much bigger for the Radiohead album,but the reaction here suggests it was a bit of a fizzer.

Mike
The silence is deafening - I take it no one was exactly blown away by the album. I saw how excited everyone here was after the Kanye West and PJ Harvey albums. The buildup was much bigger for the Radiohead album,but the reaction here suggests it was a bit of a fizzer.

Jeez, it just dropped yesterday - give it a chance! TKOL is a dense, knotty piece of work that doesn't immediately announce itself as a work of greatness (a la Kanye) or as a bold artistic statement (a la PJ). It's going to take a few listens to sink in.

For me, the only track that really jumped out as instant-classic Radiohead on the first listen was "Codex," one of the most beautiful things they've ever done; I also took to "Morning Mr. Magpie" and "Separator." But, as has been said a few times, the album feels like a grower. I look forward to diving back in repeatedly.

Mike

I love the album but I haven't weighed in during the past 20 hours or so. I've been too busy listening to it.

First listen-

Love the glitchyness of the first set of songs, but I think after "Lotus Flower" the album drops off a little bit. Thankfully this is only temporary, because "Separator" brings it right back up again. I can totally see the Flying Lotus influences. I wish the album was a little bit longer, but it's not a huge deal.

First listen- 9.0

It's good. It'll probably make an appearance on my eventual year end list. But, being as it is not one of my top 200 albums of all time, it is my least favorite Radiohead album.

I like Radiohead when they're being experimental, I like Radiohead when they're being 'rockist'. But, in the past no matter what they've done, their songs have really seamless flow to them. That is not the case for this album. Some of the drums especially are a little jarring and atmosphere-breaking.

BillAdama
Some of the drums especially are a little jarring and atmosphere-breaking.

That's kind of what impresses me about it, it feels like their really stretching themselves and once again not giving in to expectations.

I've only listened to it twice and I like it quite a bit. It would be the best Flying Lotus album I've ever heard, but....

Radiohead isn't Flying Lotus. As far-out as Kid A was, it still seemed like a rock band made that album. A very very special rock band. None of the songs on King of Limbs really stick out to me. There are a few gems, but for the most part they all seem sameish. After listening to Paranoid Android once, never again would one refer to it as "the second song on the album," something I've done several times with King of Limbs.

Best radiohead yet. Feeling a strong brian eno influence on these tracks. I love the length as well. I know some will scoff at its 38 mins, but this is an album for the modern age. Easily fits to your drive to work, morning jog. I suspect more to come shortly. They were working for a while. 8 tracks is enough, but I suspect more. I remember one of them saying something about releasing a string of EP's. Maybe they scrapped the Easy play idea and have 3 or so 30+ minute albums. a trilogy. who cares though. This stuff is amazing. Top 10 greatest recordings ever. After a day!

Just like the last few albums they've put out where nothing sticks out and while it blends into one good song, I would never listen to anything on this record again.

Isnt it funny how even after a couple of days everyone is saying shit like MIXED REVIEWS, NOT THEIR BEST. Reminds of Kid A -lol. Its all kind of ridiculous. The album is so new and all these judgments are flying around. How about a simple like or dislike. Mixed reviews though, On What grounds? Most of what I've seen have been very strong. Stronger then Kid A was upon its release. Sure when all is said and done 80% will like it, 20% will hate. Isnt that the same with almost every record? This is Radiohead- Haven't they of all earned the right to be devoid of criticism anyways. LONG LIVE THE KING OF LIMBS

I do agree with whomever said that it is likely the first of a 2/3 releases. We'll have more shortly. I can feel it. But hey? I could go another 3 years. This is good music people.

Yeah a lot of devoted Radiohead fans and critics didn't even like Kid A when it first came out. It got the same reaction that this record is getting.

Ddiamondd
The orders mentioned a 2x10" vinyl set, are marked TKOL1 and Separator does allude to there being more to come

*crosses fingers, toes, everything*

The vinyl thing is actually the one thing that hints toward NO MORE songs. 2 10"s would fit no more than about 37 minutes of high quality songs. 10"s generally fit about 9 minutes per side. So amid all the hints of more music coming up, the fact that only 2 10"s have been announced actually worries me. I'm hoping that the CD that comes with the boxset won't simply be a copy of TKOL, but a bonus disc.

This might have been receiving a mixed, but generally positive, response like Kid A. But i loved that record at first sight. It sounded complete, like its own thing and the work of a band still at its creative peak. It was amazing and after OK Computer they couldn't go somewhere anymore with that sound. Amazing change of pace. This album on the other hand, is great, sounds more like an experiment than Kid A (which was incredible self-assured in my opinion), sounds like a bridge to something else, a transitional record, a step to a bigger, bolder and even better record. I have no problem with half an hour records, as long as they sound complete, there's something missing. Some people think that "you want more", it's because it doesn't fit the overall time length, but it's not this, it doesn't sound complete. If this is a part of a trilogy, maybe the final material will achieve this, but to far, this album is near excellent, still a minor disappointment. It's Radiohead, they are always experimenting, they'll never make straightforward alternative rock tracks like in The Bends again, but i can totally assume in my behalf, that though is no fail and a great, nice cohesive album and all. It's something i feel like i'll admire more than love (unlike Kid A that achieved both in a matter of three days). If I can't love this and comeback again to listen to its track equally, it's not not material that 5 stars albums are made of to me.

Brian
This is Radiohead- Haven't they of all earned the right to be devoid of criticism anyways.
Nobody can possibly earn that.

Stephan
Brian
This is Radiohead- Haven't they of all earned the right to be devoid of criticism anyways.

See "Beatles solo albums after 1973"

Stephan
Brian

Yep, regardless of reputation, no artist (whatever their medium) is beyond criticism. It's part of the game.

Back to The King of Limbs: it's only been two days since it became available but I'm jumping on the "slightly disappointed" bandwagon. It's not a bad album by any stretch of the imagination, but for the first time since Pablo Honey it sounds like Radiohead are happy to be inspired by others rather than being a source of inspiration themselves.

But maybe it's unreasonable to keep expecting them to be groundbreaking. Maybe if I listened to the album for what it is rather than for what I had hoped it would be after a four year wait it would grow on me. Like I said, it's only been two days. It took Kid A much longer than that to win most of its fans over.

Stephan
Brian

Oh dear, I didn't notice that Jonathan had already commented on this. Sorry, Brian! Two people having a go is a bit much. I don't think you have posted a comment on this forum before and I would be the last person wishing to discourage you. When I first joined this forum I found it refreshing to see how civil and friendly people were. So, happy commenting! (and don't let anyone put you off).

For me, In Rainbows and now King Of Limbs consists of music that just floats there. It's void of emotion and melds together into one long song. I admit that it's well crafted, but it is so much that it feels calculated. Both of the past two albums have given me the opposite feeling I experienced when listening to OK Computer and Kid A for the first time.

Alright, so here's my review after hearing the album maybe 8-10 times or so...

My first couple of listens were crappy audio quality so it probably influenced my initial thoughts, which were "oh, so we have another Thom Yorke solo album that's completely electronic and devoid of the human touch that I most love about Radiohead...great..."

But once I a) got my hands on the true quality version and b) had time to absorb the music, the album opened up to me a bit and kept drawing me back for more. "Lotus Flower" and "Comex" are the two songs that began to really hit me and are still what I believe to be the strongest parts of the album. Thom's vocal line beginning from roughly the end of the first third of the song and on is one of the best vocal lines he's ever put to tape, it puts chills down my spine hearing it. And "Comex" is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written. "Little by Little" and "Feral" have since also grown on me and "Seperater" is one heck of a track as well. I'm still waiting on the first two tracks to really hit me.

The thing is, despite being mostly electronic (or perhaps all?), there's a whole lot more depth to it than there was on The Eraser. The beats are better, the textures are more complex and interesting, and the atmopsphere is nailed (for the most part...more on that later). Someone mentioned about this seeming a bit like Radiohead's "Remain in Light" and for the first half of the album I'd say that's a pretty good description. Not much melody or chord changes, but a whole lotta repetition, texture, and beats. Kind of hypnotizing but in a good way.

One kind of nice thing I've noticed about this album is it has a sense of "3D" to it (probably mostly noticeable while listening with headphones). Notice the effects on "Feral" or the handclaps that seem to be coming from nowhere in "Lotus Flower." There are little things all over other places as well that really give it a fullness that's cool to hear. This is one of the advantages of making music electronically and they made pretty good use of it.

It is evident that this was hugely Thom's project with minimal input from the rest (and I think he even went on record saying this if someone can back me up), and this is one problem I feel from making this a really classic album. I love the new direction but feel there could've been more soul put into this. It seems the first half of the record is the cerebral section and the last half is the human/emotional section, and I really crave the latter more than the former. As a result, the album seems uneven, whereas In Rainbows was literally stacked from back to front with little letdown other than maybe "Faust Arp."

It's tough to follow up near perfection, and with maybe a slightly different approval they could've come close with this release. Don't take that too harshly, though, it'll still be in good rotation this year and beyond I'm sure.

John
For me, In Rainbows and now King Of Limbs consists of music that just floats there. It's void of emotion and melds together into one long song. I admit that it's well crafted, but it is so much that it feels calculated. Both of the past two albums have given me the opposite feeling I experienced when listening to OK Computer and Kid A for the first time.

I really feel In Rainbows is anything BUT devoid of emotion. It has MUCH more emotion than Kid A, and I LOVE Kid A.

I think this album really needs time to sink in. I was a little disappointed on initial listens, but it really seems to be growing on me (more so than I ever would have predicted). We'll see how it holds up over the next few weeks.

Earlier today I was listening to OK Computer - now, I know they are almost incomparable in musical terms, but OKC absolutely smokes the fuck outta King of Limbs. Even the weaker tracks sound so, so strong.

But that's cool. One of the best things about Radiohead is that they keep progressing naturally, exploring new avenues, and sound pretty damn excellent while doing so. They will remain in my top 2 favourite bands. I just don't like this new record quite as much as the others. By any other band's standards, it's really great. But compared to their back catalogue - that which houses three of my top 20 albums ever and probably 5/6 in my top 50 - the new one pales a tad. Still a decent to strong 7, maybe light 8 in time.

The world keeps turning.

I am very impressed with this record right now. I like how it unfolds and reveals itself after multiple listens. It's a lot less immediate than In Rainbows, but I sort of like that quality - there is more to pick apart. It's a bit short, but eh, it's not much shorter than your average Nick Drake record. We'll live.

The King of Limbs is even longer than the two most acclaimed albums ever...

Anyway, although the album could have been longer, I like the fact that it doesn't have the letdowns like Hail to the Thief. That's the longest Radiohead album, but also the one with the weakest track since Pablo Honey (The Gloaming). TKOL does not contain flaws like that.

Gillingham

I long for the days where the length of an LP is more than enough space to fit a quality album on to. I am a fan of all new music, but bands need to learn to rein it in. Release two albums a year, I don't care. Just keep your album around 40 minutes.

I just heard the album in full. While this is by no means the next OK Computer, or even In Rainbows, it is a good album worth a listen for any fan. My favorite off this is either "Lotus Flower" or "Codex". The least favorite track is "Bloom" which keeps this album from In Rainbows' five star rank. It still wasn't enough to ruin the whole album, though.

Final Score: 4.5/5

Gillingham

Anyway, although the album could have been longer, I like the fact that it doesn't have the letdowns like Hail to the Thief. That's the longest Radiohead album, but also the one with the weakest track since Pablo Honey (The Gloaming). TKOL does not contain flaws like that.

One of Radiohead's surprising traits, given their considered the band that spear-headed the movement away from meat and potatoes rock and back into an artsier form of rock is they're a very economic band.

Unlike say, Sufjan Stevens, who can't make an album unless it fills up an entire CD, or even my other favorite band of this recent era, Wilco, who's best songs are all 6+ minutes long, Radiohead frequently pumps out songs under 5 minutes and albums under 1 hour that still feel epic.

King of Limbs is growing on me rapidly. Once you get used to the loud slappy drums, it just kind of hits you.