Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Moderately Acclaimed Album 2: Round 1.7

Vote will be open until Sunday, February 20, 11pm board time. Anyone can vote but you must have heard both albums to vote.

Division 1: (All-Moonbeam!)

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope vs
Eurtyhmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

Division 2:

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind vs
Cat Power - Moon Pix

Division 3:

Foreigner - 4
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

Division 4:

Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
Labradford - Labradford

Re: Best Moderately Acclaimed Album 2: Round 1.7

This all-Moonbeam match is even tougher than the first! Both of these albums are in my top 40 of all-time. One, however, is in my top 5.

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) for the win.

Division 2:

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind wins over
Cat Power - Moon Pix

The first Third Eye Blind album was one of my favorites in the late 1990's. I thoroughly enjoyed almost all of the songs, especially: Motorcycle Drive By, Semi-Charmed Life, The Background, God of Wine, How's it Going to Be, Jumper, I Want You, Losing a Whole Year and Narcolepsy. One interesting note about Third Eye Blind is that its front man, Stephan Jenkins is from Palo Alto, CA and was the valedictorian of his graduating class at UC Berkeley, majoring in English or literature as I recall. This academic performance correlates well with the intelligence and perception demonstrated in his lyrics.

The Cat Power offering was powerful enough, but not exactly my favorite.

He Turns Down had some interesting interplay between the vocals, flute and guitar; but isn't very special to me. No Sense, Peking Saint, and Colors and the Kids plod along at a pace similar to He Turns Down and did not grab my attention even as much as He Turns Down. But, the video that I saw on YouTube for Colors and the Kids was pretty good.

Say, Back of Your Head and Moonshiner were pretty songs, but not particularly special for me.

Metal Heart, You May Know Him and Cross Bones Style were my favorites on the Moon Pix album, but did not measure up for me against many of the Third Eye Blind songs mentioned above.

Kaleidoscope
Moon Pix
The Lonesome Crowded West
Labradford

Division 4:

Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
Labradford - Labradford

I have listened to Lake Speed countless times since the beginning of this game (Labradford is the first album I listened to when the brackets were revealed). But it also has been the occasion to go even deeper into Vivadixie[...]plot, one of my favorite indie album of the 90s (which is a genre I really love). It's a sad and beautiful album and I like the nervous songs as much as the calm ones.

Vote: Foreinger
If this one wins, I'll run around Chicago naked with Ozzie Guilen.

My votes:

Division 1: Sweet Dreams

This one's a pretty easy vote for me. Sweet Dreams goes on my 'Buy eventually' list.

Division 2: Third Eye Blind

Moon Pix is the third Cat Power album I've heard and the third I haven't been able to connect that well too. Third Eye Blind on the other hand has some of the best mainstream singles of the 90's. Semi-Charmed Life is possibly in my top ten songs of the 90's. The album is front heavy, but the first half is good enough to easily get my vote.

Division 3: The Lonesome Crowded West

A 6/10 vs a 5/10 for me. Both are good but not great, but Lonesome is more 'my thing' than 4.

Division 4: Vivadixiesubmarinetransmission plot

This one's more a 7/10 vs a 7/10, but Sparklehorse is more my thing right at the moment. Right now the slow moody stuff isn't what I feel like listening to.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Cat Power - Moon Pix
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Labradford - Labradford

This has to be the most laborious week in the entire tournament for me; I haven't heard a single one of these albums.

Div 1
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
Div 2
Cat Power - Moon Pix

Easy picks, although Kaleidoscope is very good too.

Division 1: (All-Moonbeam!)
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope WINNER
vs Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
Pretty solid Siouxsie effort- I like it a lot. Outside of a song and a half on "Sweet Dreams..." ("Love Is A Stranger" & title track), I think the album is pretty dull, sorry to say.

Division 2:
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind vs
Cat Power - Moon Pix WINNER
Not close at all for me. I'll just say I missed the whole TEB thing in the 90's... on purpose.

Division 3:
Foreigner - 4
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West WINNER
Foreigner, as big as they were in the day, sound cringe-worthy now. Those lyrics are god-awful (and they're even a step up from their debut effort), and unfortunately tend to overpower any of the more "rockin'" tunes that may have otherwise worked. MM sounds pretty much the same to me on all their albums, but it's a sound I like.

Division 4:
Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot WINNER
Labradford - Labradford
Closest of the matchups this week for me. Pleasantly surprised with Labradford's self-titled work. Sparklehorse packs more emotions (quantity-wise- it's all over the place) and seems more expansive (if perhaps less consistent) as a result.

Thanks!

1. Labradford - Labradford
2. Cat Power - Moon Pix
3. Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
4. Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
5. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
6. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
7. Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
8. Foreigner - 4

I've been too busy to participate these last few weeks, but I finally got some free time to give these a listen.

Division 1: Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
Division 2: Cat Power - Moon Pix
Division 3: Foreigner - 4
Division 4: Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

Division 1: Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
Division 2: Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
Division 3: Foreigner - 4
Division 4: Pass

Four hours left to vote. No ties at the moment but two matches separated by only one vote.

Results:

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) 5 def
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Kaleidoscope 4

Cat Power - Moon Pix 6 def
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind 3

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West 5 def
Foreigner - 4 3

Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot 4 def
Labradford - Labradford 3

Damn! I missed this one because of the stupid "Horario de Verão" here in Brazil and my computer changed the hours, so i missed the deadline! At least the two matches i listen to were won by the albums i'd vote and my pick Moon Pix advanced. Lucky me, now let me see this new week!

HRS
Damn! I missed this one because of the stupid "Horario de Verão" here in Brazil]
It was great, gave me another hour to party yesterday.

Where in Brazil are you again? I'm in Santa Catarina.

Stephan
It was great, gave me another hour to party yesterday.

Where in Brazil are you again? I'm in Santa Catarina.

Like Van Morrison says in Astral Weeks, well i'm so "So far away", but not up in heaven. Find a Brazilian map, then you start going up. There's Paraná, then São Paulo, Then Minas Gerais, Then Bahia and the little state at the side of it, the smaller of the country: Sergipe, i live now in Aracaju, it's the capital. i'm in Northeast, you're in the (beautiful) South. I've gone down there three or four times, I miss it so much! Everything! The food, the people, the places, the climate, basically everything! Not a surprise that It's summer up here too in Brazil and it's being pretty cool and all, since we got some great beaches and places to go too. Started to rain a little bit every morning, but then a near-40ºC heat comes out and no one has no idea it rained the whole morning by lunch time, except this weekend. Are you enjoy staying here? I'm pretty sure Santa Catarina still is the state that people says that there are the bigger amount of beautiful people in the country.

My state doesn't make part of the Horario de Verão, so i didn't have another hour to party more... fine - what i was really doing: sleep more. But my computer doesn't know that, it changed the clock and I just realized like 8h later! It was so no-sense and all, i was basically enjoying my raining weekend listening to Beck and stuff while watching some crappy tv and again... sleeping. I'm not that lazy, summer weekend trapped at home does that to me.

Yeah, it's fantastic here. The weather is great, the country beautiful and the people here are probably the nicest I've ever met.. and I've been to quite a lot of countries. If only they spoke some English.