The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Links you have to acclaimed artists

My grandma was friends with David Lee Roth's Mom through their Temple in Pasadena, and my Mom went to his Bar Mitzvah party (where they served lobster and a lot of other non-kosher food, I'm told).

More obscure but nearer and dearer to me, my Dad was high school buddies with David Ocker, who played clarinet and woodwinds for Frank Zappa during the late 70s early 80s (he's credited on the song "Wild Love" from Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti). Doing a little research, I found out that his full-time gig for a while was going through Zappa's papers at his house and transcribing the tons of unorganized compositions Zappa had written up to that point.

Wow - some of these are pretty good,although I guess it depends where you live. I live much too far away from the main centres of acclaimed artists,with only 4 listed from the whole of NZ. There is some guy who lives in my town who was a fill-in drummer in AC/DC for about a year,and another who was in a band that once opened for Little Feat,that's about the best I can do...

I haven’t met personally any important star (except for some Spanish pop stars in my youth, like Alaska that once asked for my amp at a festival). But a close friend of mine knows personally some of my all time idols, for instance Michael Stipe, Donald Fagen, Thom Yorke or David Bowie (I’m not exaggerating, last Saturday she had dinner with other friends at Bowie’s house in NYC and the previous week she walked through the streets of London’s Soho with Yorke and talked a lot with him during two long hours). I just hope she don’t read this thread (it was supposed to be a secret). But (and sorry) one last revelation: last Christmas while she was with some friends at Donald Fagen’s house in Woodstock she showed him (to my request) the thread with the 1900-1949 poll results. Fagen and the other musicians at the party (Levon Helm was there too) made some praiseworthy comments about that Acclaimed Music Forum thread and this even ignited a conversation about the differences between that music and today’s music. Oh God, how I wish to have been there too! Or not, probably I just have babbled like an idiot...

I just found out that my half-brother is friends with Robert Plant. My brother makes wine in California and has several famous fans, among them Maynard James Keenan. Last night my mom and dad started ranting that my sister-in-law had pictures of him with Robert Plant at their house on her myspace.

So my brother is friend's with the singer of the #5 acclaimed artist ever...can you top that!?!?!?!

Honorio
one last revelation: last Christmas while she was with some friends at Donald Fagen’s house in Woodstock she showed him (to my request) the thread with the 1900-1949 poll results. Fagen and the other musicians at the party (Levon Helm was there too) made some praiseworthy comments about that Acclaimed Music Forum thread and this even ignited a conversation about the differences between that music and today’s music.
Wow- would have loved to hear that conversation!

Jonathon
can you top that!?!?!?!

Yes,I am Bob Dylan. Really,I mean it

This forum has had it's share of "Famous" visitors in the past. (John Cale, CSNY, Del Shannon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc38Uy-i1lA

Brad
Wow- would have loved to hear that conversation!

Yes! me too. Probably Fagen loved some of our choices. Just remember that he offered tribute to some of the artist we voted in Steely Dan's album "Pretzel Logic", being Charlie Parker in "Parker's Band" or Duke Ellington in "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo"

I go to Duke, and Springsteen's daughter is a freshman here. I know people who know her.

Clay Aiken grew up in the house behind me and babysat me once.

drewcannon3
I go to Duke, and Springsteen's daughter is a freshman here. I know people who know her.

No artist gets more acclaimed than Clay Aiken!!!! Isn't there a name for the 8 fans that still follow his career?

Slick
drewcannon3

No artist gets more acclaimed than Clay Aiken!!!! Isn't there a name for the 8 fans that still follow his career?

That was deserved.

Mike Posner was here at the same time as me, too.