The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: AMF Poll: Favourite albums of 2010: RESULTS

Just listened to The Archandroid for the 1st time. Very interesting! Vigorous genre hopping while remaining a consistent performance. Something for everybody!

Titus in top 15! I was hoping for even more, but that's still a heck of a lot better than where the critics have placed them.

Nice to see underrated albums appearing! Hadestown was inside my top 10, but guess it wasn't enough. Titus too. Gorillaz was close, unfortunately didn't make it and this is coming from a big Damon Albarn fan.

John
Yeah I think they kind of sat on their hands with this album. Critics were ready to crown them the indie kings and they didn't really take the next step forward. Obviously, fans loved that, but casual listeners like myself felt it was just ok.

Yes, in some ways High Violet is a formulaic extension of The National's previous two albums, with added stadium-sized noise in an attempt to appeal to a larger audience. Yet none of their previous albums are as perfect for late-night listening after a few drinks as High Violet is. They've been attempting a balancing act between paranoia and optimism for quite a while now, but this was the first time I could really relate to it.

Great presentation, Nassim...

Let me recommend this fascinating (but sadly incomplete) exercise from the #1 album: