Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Artist Classifications on AM

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but do not recall when. The question for Henrik is: How do you decide which albums or songs will be allocated to which artists.

By way of example, Prince gets all albums under his own name (as well,presumably, as TAFKAP if any of his recordigns from that period were on the list) along with albums credited to Prince and the Revolution and Prince and the New Power Generation. Similary Tom Petty/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are lumped together, as are Elvis Costello and his various credited backing bands.

Neil Young gets all albums under his own name, as well as those credited to "Neil Young with Crazy Horse" and "Neil Young and Crazy Horse." But Neil Young does not get albums credited to "Crosby Stills Nash & Young" or "Buffalo Springfield."

Diana Ross gets her own credited stuff. The Supremes are a separate entry. And a decision is made that albums credited to "Diana Ross and the Supremes" goes to the Supremes.

Duos like Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, and Clifford Brown and Max Roach have their work allocated to each member of the duo. But Simon and Garfunkel albums don't show up as Paul Simon albums. And Darryl Hall & John Oates is a single artist as well.

Beyonce is credited with her collaboration with Jay-Z, "Crazy in Love" (and Jay-Z also get listed), but not her collaboration with the other members of Destiny's Child.

Obviously, you have to go by the name on the recording. So John Coltrane does not get credit for Kind of Blue, or David Bowie for "Walk on the Wild Side." But I guess my question is: is their specific criteria for determining which designated artists get credit for an album/song? Or do you use Potter Stewart's famous legal standard: "I know it when I see it"?

Re: Artist Classifications on AM

Schwah
Neil Young gets all albums under his own name, as well as those credited to "Neil Young with Crazy Horse" and "Neil Young and Crazy Horse." But Neil Young does not get albums credited to "Crosby Stills Nash & Young" or "Buffalo Springfield."

Note that the contrary is not true : Crazy Horse are not credited with their Neil Young albums. But maybe that's an anomaly?

Schwah
Or do you use Potter Stewart's famous legal standard: "I know it when I see it"?
Exactly. But let's use this thread to suggest artist classification changes. If there's a consensus I will make the change, however I'm not willing to increase the overlaps in general. If Destiny's Child would also be tagged as Beyonce then I assume the Beatles recordings would also be included on every Beatles member's page and so on. That would be a lot of work and only for the worse IMO.

Henrik
Exactly. But let's use this thread to suggest artist classification changes. If there's a consensus I will make the change, however I'm not willing to increase the overlaps in general. If Destiny's Child would also be tagged as Beyonce then I assume the Beatles recordings would also be included on every Beatles member's page and so on. That would be a lot of work and only for the worse IMO.

I agree with you, and I am leaning toward thinking that none of the examples I listed should be changed. It's just an interesting issue, which is a susbset of the larger issue of "authorship" that we have debated on and off on this forum for years.

It would be interesting to see what a "top person in music" list would look like if you credited Lennon with every Beatles and solo album, Eno with every album that he produced or played on the majority of tracks, etc. But that is a bigger project than you or I would have time for. (James Brown is sampled on over half the tracks on It Takes a Nation of Millions.... Would he get credit for that on such a list???)

I think that you should have a link to artists that the members were involved in (I.E. have a link to Lennon's McCartney's Harrison's and Starr's pages under the beatles, and vice versa) so that people who visit the site but don't know the groups as well as we do can learn more about them.

Obviously, we can't give the beatle's solos credit for the work they did with the Beatles, or they would all be the top 5 artists on AM.