The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Does All Music...

still rate albums in comparison only to that act's other albums? For instance, a 4-star album by the Rolling Stones may not necessarily be of equal quality to a 4-star album by Kenny G. It had been that way in the books and even explained on the website, but not sure if that's still the case.

Re: Allmusic updated the ratings of some 2000s seminal records

3.5 stars for 13 is ridiculous, that album is an achievement. I have a feeling that album would be a lot more acclaimed in general if they had taken out one or two of the longer songs, as it's a bit exhausting to listen through all the way. Still, it never lets up in quality, and IMO is much better than Parklife.

Jackson
3.5 stars for 13 is ridiculous, that album is an achievement. I have a feeling that album would be a lot more acclaimed in general if they had taken out one or two of the longer songs, as it's a bit exhausting to listen through all the way. Still, it never lets up in quality, and IMO is much better than Parklife.

13, in my book, is their crowning achievement. I wouldn't change anything about it.

The Kills' album Midnight Boom from 2008 has 5-Stars now...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/midnight-boom-r1313433

Dooooop
The Kills' album Midnight Boom from 2008 has 5-Stars now...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/midnight-boom-r1313433

Now this was a weird, out of nowhere addition to the 5 star cannon

That album was so underrated. I'm glad it's finally getting it's recognition. One of my favorite albums of 08

Also, Hell Hath No Fury by Clipse (http://www.allmusic.com/album/hell-hath-no-fury-r669489), which is a wicked album.

also 2000's and some 5-starred albums...

Real - Ednita Nazario.
Orlando Poleo - Lo Bueno de la Vida
Basic Channel - BCD-2
Clave y Guaguanco - La Rumba que no Termina
Fred Hersch - Leaves of Grass
Mike Keneally - The Universe Will Provide
Aphex Twin - 26 Mixes for Cash
Frank London's Klezmer Brass Allstars - Brotherhood of Brass
Michael Mayer - Immer
School Days - In Our Times
Metro Area - Metro Area
Jay-Z - the Blueprint
Basement Jaxx - Rooty
The Strokes - Is This It
System of a Down - Toxicity
Andre Rieu - La Vie Est Belle
Kid Koala - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Iskra 1903 - Chapter One
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Masada - Masada: Live in Sevilla
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Outkast - Stankonia
The White Stripes - Elephant
David Lang - The Little Match Girl Passion
Casa de Leones - Casa de Leones - a 5 star reggaeton album (Only one I know of).
Dismember - Like an ever-flowing stream
Necrophagist- Onset of Putrefaction
Negura Bunget - OM
The Stooges - Raw Power (noticed it goes to 5 stars, then to 4.5, again to 5, 4.5, 5....)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Vol. 4
Judas Priest - British Steel (same issue as Raw Power, explained above).
Human League - Dare!

and why did allmusic remove the search button? It's hard to look for 5 stars 1 by 1. Anyone know of an easier way? How?

Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Blackbyrds' City Life and Rickie Lee Jones' eponymous debut album dropped from 5 stars to 4 stars and NWA's Straight Outta Compton is on 5 now.

I also noticed the Rickie Lee Jones drop, they also downgraded her Volcano EP to 3.5 and The Magazine went from 2 stars to 3. They basically reevaluated her discography - still underrating Pirates as a 4. In the light of her new album, Gillian Welch's first album was also downgraded to a 4 and Time (The Revelator) is now a 4.5 star record.

HRS
So far right now: Kid A, Turn On The Bright Lights, Back To Black, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, White Blood Cells, The College Dropout, Late Registration, Rated R, Songs for the Deaf, Arular (Kala is still 4.5), Oh, Inverted World, American Idiot, Since I Left You, Untrue and Funeral are all rated 5 stars!

Happy to see that "Oh, Inverted World" gets 5 stars. It's my personal favourite of the 00's.

For the rest, my opinion: AllMusic is incomplete (a lot of albums missing), is very US oriented and since a few years I'm completely ignoring their star ratings. I only go there once in a while to read album reviews.

Heavy metal 10 album boost in 5-starred albums.

Metal releases got a 10 album boost in 5-starred albums. Isis' Oceanic, Mastodon's Leviathan, Opeth's Blackwater Park, Napalm Death's Scum, Electric Wizard's Dopesmoker, Darktrone's A Blaze in the Northern Sky, In Flames' Jester Race, At The Gates' Slaughter of the Soul and Neurosis' Through Silver In Blood. I still can't get over the Rickie Lee drop.

Sorry,
edited a few minutes later cause I forgot to mention Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse

I'm still waiting for a 5-star 00's latin music release. Hopefully Frank Reyes will get it and Aventura will drop to 2 stars..

Amy Winehouse, rest in peace.

Re: Heavy metal 10 album boost in 5-starred albums.

Origin's Entity has 5 stars. A 2011 extreme metal release with 5 stars and no review proper. Just like Shining's Blackjazz that got 5 stars and got dropped to 4.5. And since when is Aqualung 4.5? And another thing, Wilco's reviewers mixed and confused Yankee Hotel with Summerteeth.

Gillian Welch's Time (The Revelator)is now a 4? And her Revival album is now a 4.5 pick.

korikafedz
Gillian Welch's Time (The Revelator)is now a 4? And her Revival album is now a 4.5 pick.

It's the other way around, now. Too bad for Revival fans Though, Time is the best album of hers and should achieve such a rating.

I noticed a few weeks ago that Beyonce's B'Day is now a five star album.

tatsumaki4ryu
I noticed a few weeks ago that Beyonce's B'Day is now a five star album.

It's a slap on the face see this album as a five-star and not Illinoise nor Yankee - both inside the top 5 - or so many of the other albums inside the top 100 of the decade.

Eh. I enjoy Sufjan Stevens and Wilco but I always felt those two albums were overrated anyway. YHF is one of my least favorite Wilco albums. The ones I would move to five stars immediately are In Rainbows and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. My guess is that Allmusic will do so within 2-3 years. Wouldn't be surprised if Illinoise and YHF are upgraded later as well.

I still don't believe B'day..

Allrovi, the Allmovie and Allmusic replacement site, is badly updated. For a second, I saw B'day on 5/5. It's on 4/5 there and Gillian Welch's Time had 4 and her debut had 5. False alarm with rovi.

Don't cross compare artists and genres when using this site. It's bound to disappoint you. Instead view any album awarded full 5 stars as one that was a particular highlight of a really noteworthy artist/band within the genre, at the time of it's release. Whether you like her or not, Beyonce has become somewhat on an icon within modern pop music. Some of her songs even made it onto 'end of decade lists' recently. So I don't find it too surprising that they wanted to represent this somehow. Not sure B'Day was the correct choice personally, but that's just how AllMusic goes around rewarding noteworthy musicians in pop. After all they cover every widely-recognised genre and everyone of them gets the same fair treatment.

Rock albums tend to get a many of the promotions. AllMusic loved YHF. It was their (joined) top album of 2004 along with The Flaming Lips 'Yoshimi...' - see their 'AllMusic loves 2004' entry. I expect the rating will eventually get changed. It just didn't make the cut this time. This also goes for many of the releases were mentioned above. Albums like 'In Rainbows', 'Merriweather Post Pavilion' and 'Sound of Silver' will probably require a longer gestation period before their editors feel they can properly reward them as classics - particularly MPP, which was only released two years ago.

As for those left confused about 'Midnight Boom' being made 5 stars, did you actually give the album a fair chance? It's a great little release!

I agree about the Kills and am happy to see them grow a pair a put their foot down on giving them such a high rating when it got great reviews but was still overlooked by critics in the Year End List department. To this day I can't look at a horse or a Sarah Jessica Parker flick without thinking of their marvelous Alphabet Pony.

Old thread. No recent 5 stars.

Yeah, I doubt they'll upgrade any new albums for another year or two now. However I do have high hopes that this means they'll soon be updating a compilation of pre-2000s albums soon. Based on AMs lists there are quite a few oldies that could probably do with the full five-star rating.

Any in particular you'd all like to see changed?

Not sure if we covered this one but...

Mastodon - Leviathan (2004)

No worries, Henrik and the team have already been alerted here about the new Metal updates on Allmusic. So chuffed that along with Mastodon, both Isis and Opeth got some recognition. All three are/were highly consistent acts.

Re: Heavy metal 10 album boost in 5-starred albums.

korikafedz
Origin's Entity has 5 stars. A 2011 extreme metal release with 5 stars and no review proper. Just like Shining's Blackjazz that got 5 stars and got dropped to 4.5. And since when is Aqualung 4.5? And another thing, Wilco's reviewers mixed and confused Yankee Hotel with Summerteeth.
Both Summerteeth and YHF deserve 5 stars.

Raw Power - Screams from the gutter

www.allmusic.com/album/screams-from-the-gutter-r16207

vicar
Raw Power - Screams from the gutter

www.allmusic.com/album/screams-from-the-gutter-r16207

That's from 1985, not the 2000s.