Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The White Stripes break up.

Yes, you read that right, The White Stripes broke up today. Although they haven't put out any new music since 2007, I'm still saddened to hear this. They were one of the top artists of the last decade for me, and are in my top 20 artists of all time.

Here's the story.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12822369

Re: The White Stripes break up.

Boo.

I don't know, maybe Jack White will find something special in another band, but I think his style needs to be minimalist and raw to be that good.

I can't say I'm surprised. With not one but TWO other bands being thriving concerns for JW, the odds of the Stripes putting out any new music were probably getting slimmer every day.

I do agree with Bill that the Stripes format was the best showcase for Jack's talents - I seriously doubt that either the Raconteurs or the Dead Weather will ever make an album as good as WBC or ELEPHANT (or even SATAN, an underappreciated record). And I can't help but wonder whether Meg's chronic anxiety problems might not have at least something to do with this. Regardless, the Stripes' body of work easily stands with that of any artist over the last decade.

(Meg can console herself with the knowledge that she has the coolest mother-in-law in the history of the universe. Maybe they can collaborate on something.)

Elephant is pumping out my speakers now. Still sounds fucking amazing.

Such a killer band and, while this is hardly shocking, it is gutting.

They will be missed.

The White Stripes were basically the last American rock stars. All of the other great american acts of the 00s, Wilco, Sufjan, Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, etc were not multi-platinum superstars; The White Stripes were.

I think their success and long-standing acclaim speaks to the simple durability of their melodies, and the universal joy of cranking up a tasty Jack White fuzz tone riff. This was indie music that everyone could enjoy, and I think history will continue to reward the Stripes for their contributions to music.

Jonathon
The White Stripes were basically the last American rock stars. All of the other great american acts of the 00s, Wilco, Sufjan, Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, etc were not multi-platinum superstars; The White Stripes were.

I think their success and long-standing acclaim speaks to the simple durability of their melodies, and the universal joy of cranking up a tasty Jack White fuzz tone riff. This was indie music that everyone could enjoy, and I think history will continue to reward the Stripes for their contributions to music.

Hmm, but that's the reason why I often find it difficult to appreciate the White Stripes. Feel free to disagree with me here, indeed I intend to create some controversy, but I mean was their mass appeal that they appealed to the lowest common denominator, ie simple enough tune with Jack White going ballistic over it? Nor do I intend to sound snobby, since White Blood Cells is surely a fine album, but there's only so much you can do with a simple enough tune and Jack White going ballistic. I mean to my ears, Elephant just sounds like polished...old White Stripes, as if they were becoming derivative of themselves.

I cried. Don't need to go any further.

Zorg
Jonathon

Hmm, but that's the reason why I often find it difficult to appreciate the White Stripes. Feel free to disagree with me here, indeed I intend to create some controversy, but I mean was their mass appeal that they appealed to the lowest common denominator, ie simple enough tune with Jack White going ballistic over it? Nor do I intend to sound snobby, since White Blood Cells is surely a fine album, but there's only so much you can do with a simple enough tune and Jack White going ballistic. I mean to my ears, Elephant just sounds like polished...old White Stripes, as if they were becoming derivative of themselves.

Personally, I prefer simple music charged with emotional energy to more polished, more antiseptic music.

Zorg
Jonathon

That was exactly how I felt about them when they came out. I felt like there were other bands doing much more interesting things and getting significantly less respect for it.

In the past few years I've learned to appreciate them for what they are, which is one of the few great hard rock bands of the 00s.

Harold Wexler
I can't say I'm surprised. With not one but TWO other bands being thriving concerns for JW, the odds of the Stripes putting out any new music were probably getting slimmer every day.

I do agree with Bill that the Stripes format was the best showcase for Jack's talents - I seriously doubt that either the Raconteurs or the Dead Weather will ever make an album as good as WBC or ELEPHANT (or even SATAN, an underappreciated record). And I can't help but wonder whether Meg's chronic anxiety problems might not have at least something to do with this. Regardless, the Stripes' body of work easily stands with that of any artist over the last decade.

(Meg can console herself with the knowledge that she has the coolest mother-in-law in the history of the universe. Maybe they can collaborate on something.)

Spot on.

They were a fun band. I liked some of their songs. I guess I just never got the massive hype.