Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vinyl enthusiasts thread

This is a thread to state your love for vinyl, new records you've picked up, good places to seek out vinyl, advice on equipment, argue with cd/mp3 enthusiasts, etc, etc...

To me LP's and just the hobby adds a whole new element to the love of music and I love talking about it just as much as I love talking about music in general. Anybody else a fan?

Re: Vinyl enthusiasts thread

I just got into buying vinyl this year and I'm loving it! I cannot emphasize enough how excellent R.E.M.'s Chronic Town sounds on vinyl. It's seriously like a billion and a half times better than what's on the Dead Letter Office comp. The sounds pops out of the speakers like it's being played live right in front of you. So cool to hear.

musictoad
I just got into buying vinyl this year and I'm loving it! I cannot emphasize enough how excellent R.E.M.'s Chronic Town sounds on vinyl. It's seriously like a billion and a half times better than what's on the Dead Letter Office comp. The sounds pops out of the speakers like it's being played live right in front of you. So cool to hear.

I've noticed the exact same thing with my copy of Murmur. My MP3 version sounds...muddier, I guess. The drumming and bass in particular really pop out.

I still have a sizable collection of vinyl. In truth, I don't spin the records very often because many of them have sound artifacts. There's little question as to the superior quality of the sound overall.

What bugs me in the advent of the CD is the practice of remastering albums. It seems like the first generation of remasters concentrated on cleaning up the sound. That wasn't so bad. My annoynace is with subsequent efforts that have resulted in remixing more than remastering. I first noticed the marked changes when I picked up a copy of Carole King's Tapestry. The later remaster sounds like a completely different album ... so much so that I will never listen to the album on CD again ... unless I can find an early copy.

My parents have a machine that converts vinlys to mp3's. Best of both worlds.

I don't get vinyl to mp3 converters. Unless you're ripping to flac 24/96 or ripping albums that you can't find anywhere on the internet which is a rarity these days, I don't get the point of taking the time to rip in real time.

I guess it depends on how you feel about downloading music. I don't really have a problem with downloading music that I've purchased on vinyl.