Go to the NEW FORUM
I didn't make the rule, Jackson, but isn't there a 5 song limit per artist? Did you thoss that rule out?
Anyway, I wasn't sure how strategic voting would work, but now that I have a list of everything that was nominated, I get the idea.
TWO NEW QUALIFIERS:
Girls - Carolina
Hot Chip - Brothers
3. The Black Angels - The Sniper
4. Liars - Proud Evolution
5. Liars - Scarecrows on a Killer Slant
6. LCD Soundsystem - One Touch
7. Hot Chip - Thieves in the Night
8. Caribou - Jamelia
9. Beach House - Norway
10. Matthew Dear - You Put a Spell On Me
Only two autos? So tough to choose.
1. Jeremy Messersmith- Organ Donor
2. Eddy Current Supression Ring- Gentleman
3. Robyn- Call Your Girlfriend
4. Fresh and Onlys- Summer of Love
5. Free Energy- Dream City
6. Weezer- Ruling Me
7. MGMT- Congratulations
8. John Grant- Where Dreams Go To Die
9. Jeremy Messersmith- A Girl, A Boy, A Graveyard
10. Gayngs- The Gaudy Side of Town
Only one Robyn song nominated? That's too bad.
Here's a Mog playlist for anyone who uses it of all the current nominees. Almost all songs are included except for Sufjan Stevens and Flying Lotus and I think 3 more artists with one song that aren't available via Mog:
Owen Pallett – E is for Estranged
Allo Darlin' – Dreaming
Divine Comedy – At the Indie Disco
Belle & Sebastian – I Didn't See It Coming
Sufjan Stevens – Futile Devices
National – Sorrow
Liars – Scissors
Pariisin kevät – Matkalla etelään
Magenta Skycode – Kibling
Walkmen – Juveniles
The list is composed of Strategic Votes only:
1. Joanna Newsom - Baby Birch
2. The Walkmen - Angela Surf City
3. Beach House - Lover of Mine
4. Avi Buffalo - What's In It For?
5. Titus Andronicus - A More Perfect Union
6. Ariel Pink - Fright Night
7. Belle & Sebastian - I Didn't See It Coming
8. Robyn - Indestructible
9. Perfume Genius - Learning
10. Fiona Apple - So Sleepy
Qualify because of my sole vote:
1. Laura Veirs - July Flame
2. Warpaint - Undertow
Qualify because of two votes:
3. Beach House - Walk in the Park
4. These New Puritans - We Want War
5. Crystal Castles - Celestica
6. Erykah Badu - Window Seat
Hoping that someone else will pick these ones too...
7. Pantha du Prince - The Splendour
8. Deerhunter - Helicopter
9. Midlake - Acts of Man
10. Girl Unit - Wut
Jackson, sorry to question your rules, but with probably somewhere between 100 and 200 nominated songs, I'd like to make my final list longer than 20. I'm afraid that many people will have 10-20 favorites right away and won't bother to listen to the ones they don't know.
I agree. I think it should be a ranking system kind of like the decade polls.
Thanks Henrik for nominating Midlake
You'll have my vote for "acts of man"
A strategic steamtrain...
1/ Wavves - King of the Beach
2/ DOM - Living In America
3/ Titus Andronicus - A More Perfect Union
4/ Girl Unit - Wut
5/ Women - Eyesore
6/ Deerhunter - Helicopter
7/ Jam City - Ecstacy Refix
8/ Fang Island - The Illinois
9/ Tame Impala - Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind?
10/ Four Tet - She Just Likes To Fight
I took the time to listen to the 9 songs I wasn't familiar with, liked 2 and didn't care much for the other 7. Problem is those 2 songs probably wouldn't come anywhere near the top 20 so it wouldn't make much of a difference. If we did get to vote for up to 50 songs, perhaps I would have found 2 new songs to put into my list. Just putting forth an opinion to help make these decisions easier.
I almost missed this! Here is a list of songs that needs mentioning among the great list qualified so far.
Old Beauty, Du kan Nu Dö - Anna von Hausswolff
Draw your sword - Angus & Julia Stone
0011 - This is head
Good Evening - The Concretes
Interloper - Carbon base liveforms
The Splendour - Pantha du Prince
Night - Zola Jesus
Four tet - She just likes to fight
I´m not yours - Angus & Julia Stone
The Brothel - Susanne Sundfor
Nothing but strategy. If I'm not mistaken all the following songs will be in the final cut
1. Katerine - La Banane
2. John Mellencamp - Easter Eve
3. Midlake - Acts of Man
4. Salif Keita - La Différence
5. Neil Young - Love and War
6 Johnny Cash - Ain't No Grave
7 The Tallest Man On Earth -Thousand Ways
8 High Life - F Kenya RIP
9 Janelle Monae - Wondaland
10 John Grant - Caramel
1. Arnaud-Fleurent Didier - France Culture
2. Bertrand Belin - Hypernuit
3. Avi Buffalo - What's in it for?
4. Jaga Jazzist - One-armed Bandit
5. The Coral - 1000 Years
6. John Grant - I Want to go to Marz
7. Nicolas Comment - L'attendue
8. Etienne Daho - Sur mon cou
9. Arnaud-Fleurent Didier - Imbécile heureux
10. Olöf Arnalds - Vinur Minn
I regret not putting Das Racist into my songs list - Fashion Party is one of my favourite songs this year without a doubt.
Didn't make my list, but I'd like to nominate this as Line of the Year:
"Love's like an astronaut / It comes back but it's never the same"
from LCD Soundsystem's "Drunk Girls"
Not a line, but my favorite part of a lyrics this year was from Good Intentions Paving Company:
But it can make you feel over, and old
Lord, you know it's a shame,
when I only want for you to pull over,
and hold me,
till I can't remember my own name.
I'm a compulsive romantic, so i kinda feel like this a good amount of times a year.
"Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your Winslow." - Kanye West from Dark Fantasy
"You ain't never been no virgin, kid, you were fucked from the start"
Titus Andronicus - "A Pot In Which To Piss"
Arnaud I think "France Culture" is from 2009 and that's the reason I haven't put it on my list.
But if you make it pass Jackson no problem, one more great song in the next round