Gene Vincent - Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps vs
Telephone - Un Autre Monde

Division 3:

Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach vs
Fiona Apple - When The Pawn

Division 4:

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose vs
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance

Voting will close Sunday, January 16th at 11:00 PM board time. Anyone can vote, so long as you've heard both albums.

Re: Best Moderately Acclaimed Album 2: Round 1.2

My votes:

Sonic Youth - Dirty

The very first song when I went to listen to Chaos and Creation was one of the ones that makes me wince when it comes on at work. One of those schmaltzy 'Pop star gives you life advice' songs. Dirty isn't Sonic Youth's best, but it's a good album.

This album makes me wish critics didn't show such favoritism to albums in their own language. I don't need to understand the lyrics to tell this is great music. (Maybe AM should also index albums by language?) Gene Vincent is pretty standard for 50's rock and his vocal style just grates at me.

I like the Allman Brothers a lot, but When The Pawn is top 100 all time for me.

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

This might be the most surprising album to be in division 4. It sure got critical buzz when it came out, but indie fans dropped it for being too country and country fans dropped it for being too rock. It was in the 500s on AM a few years ago and now I think it's out of the top 1000. That's what happens when you're stuck between niches. Nothing against Ted Leo, he's not really my thing.

Division 2:

I think everybody between 15 and 50 in France can sing at least 4 or 5 Telephone's songs, they were hugely popular in the beginning of the 80s and most of their hits have stand the test of time. Though they are one of the few bands I enjoy more on best-ofs than on regular albums, I have to go with them against a sympathic album with seems a bit average against the standards of its era.

Division 3:

I really did not want to listen to Eat a Peach but it's part of the game, and last week Countdown to Ecstasy was a rather good surprise I did not want to listen to at first either. The first track gave me some hope, the second ruined it and Mountain Jam is currently my worst experience of 2011, just above last Sunday's hangover. On the other hand, I really liked When The Pawn..., I did not expect anything from Fiona Apple who was merely for me someone officer Barbrady talked about to Barbara Streisand in South Park (I quote "well ya ain't Fiona Apple, and if ya ain't Fiona Apple, I don't give a rat's ass") and it turned out to be a very pleasant album with cool jazz influence mixed with catchy melodic sound and a permanent tension.

Division 4:

Strange that I like Ted Leo while he kinda reminds me of Elvis Costello, but only of the few aspects of Costello I enjoy. Both albums seemed good but a bit overlong to me, but I enjoyed Tyranny of Distance's
heights more.

I have to listen to the other 2, might be an interesting match-up !

Division 1:
Sonic Youth - Dirty wins (with ease) over
Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

There are only two tracks on the McCartney album that work fairly well for me: "Fine Line" and "Too Much Rain."

When I started to listen to the Dirty album I was clearly no big fan of Sonic Youth. This status seemed to be justified after I tried unsuccessfully to appreciate Drunken Butterfly, Nic Fit, Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit, creme brulee and 100%.
However, I was able to enjoy the following tracks: Sugar Kane, Purr, Theresa's Sound World, Shoot, Wish Fulfillment, On the Strip (not that great, but okay), Chapel Hill, JC (not so great either) and Youth Against Fascism. I want to express my appreciation to the person who nominated this album, there could be some gems that I will grow to appreciate even more as I listen to them more.

Division 1 Winner - Sonic Youth - Dirty

I was pleasantly surprised by the McCartney album, although I don't know why I felt I wouldn't have liked it. Some of the songs were not as strong. But the album just reinforced for me how much I love Nigel Godrich. He really did a wonderful job making Macca sound focused and at times vibrant. But he's up against another of my picks, my favorite SY album. I don't know that it's their best... but it's a very important album to me. After resisting Sonic Youth after a number of listens to Goo, I listened to Dirty after its release, and I finally got it. I got how dissonance and atmospherics and rawness can be simultaneously intellectually and viscerally thrilling. Dirty was, in many ways, my Nevermind. And the songs are punch-you-in-the-stomach good.

Division 2 Winner - Gene Vincent - Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps

I liked both of these a fair amount, but Vincent's album rose above Telephone's by virtue of a fair number of moments that suddenly became a little bit thrilling. Every once in a while, that rockabilly guitar would hit me hard. I also now have a new favorite version of "Unchained Melody."

More votes hopefully coming later in the week.

Division 3:

Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach wins over

I was pleasantly surprised by Fiona Apple's album and enjoyed many tracks, including: A Mistake, The Way Things Are, Love Ridden, I Know, Fast as You Can, Paper Bag.

I thought other tracks from Fiona were at least okay, such as: On the Bound, Limp, Get Gone (the studio version is probably better than the live version I heard).

But, I didn't find anything from Fiona that came close to: Blue Sky, Melissa, Les Brers In A Minor, or Little Martha. Other tracks on Eat a Peach which I recommend include: One Way Out, Ain't Wastin' Time No More and Trouble No More.

Division 1:
Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the Backyard vs
Sonic Youth - Dirty

Easy choice, "Chaos and Creation" is probably only bubbling under because of McCartney whereas Dirty is pretty good.

Division 2:

While Gene Vincent has a few very entertaining songs on his album Téléphone has created an actually good and cohesive album; and we are choosing albums after all.

Division 3:

The first really tough choice of the week. Both entirely different albums but both albums I will continue listening to. I feared Eat A Peach would be overlong but even the 33-minute epic Mountain Jam doesn't seem long at all. For some reason I can listen to the Allman Brothers jam forever, whereas most other blues rock double albums seem too long quite quickly. And that's something that must be appreciated.

Division 4:

While I can appreciate Ted Leo, Loretta Lynn is very high on my own all-time list so I'm very glad someone else nominated "Van Lear Rose". One of the best country albums ever made.

Division 1:
Call me a snob, for me Sonic Youth is the trinity of Bad Moon Rising, Evol & Sister. Dirty, on the other hand, was commercially more successful (by Sonic Youth standards) and solidified their position as the godfathers/mother of Alt.rock. Good for them, but personally I never connected very much with this album. Dunno, Dirty may have been somewhat more streamlined, I just had already a whole bunch of Sonic Youth in my collection and this one added little to it.
For a very late period Paul McCartney effort I had extremely low expectations, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out that Chaos And Creation In The Backyard is not bad at all. I mean, it's not earth shattering or anything, but there's also nothing on it that's offending.
To be honest Sonic Youth appeals more to me. However, where Macca didn't let me down, Dirty did.
Paul McCartney wins.

Division 2:
Gene Vincent is one of my nominations, but even if it weren't I would've voted for it. It's one of the toughest rock 'n' roll albums to come out of the 50s. Apart from the odd ballad, it's all blistering Rockabilly on here. Honorable mention also should go to the Blue Caps' Simon Gallup, IMO the best guitarist of his time and a huge influence on next generation axeheroes like Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck.
God knows how much I love french music. From Django Reinhardt & Piaf's chansons to 60s yéyé, and from Gainsbourg to current artists like Laurent Garnier and Justice. Even my all-time favorite album is french (Magma's Mekanik Destruktïw Kommandöh). But there's one thing they are not very good at. And that's Rocking Out. I suppose some francophone visitors on this forum will vehemently disagree with me, but I think there are few french kick-ass rock bands that can compete with their anglo-american colleagues. And Téléphone is no exception to that. They emerged in the late 70s with a spicy & punky debut (although more Eddie & The Hotrods than Ramones or Sex Pistols), and after that reverted to more regular rock. While Un Autre Monde is a solid album I'm still a bit puzzled by it. I guess you have to be Gaelic to fully appreciate this one.
Gene Vincent wins.

Division 3:
When it comes to discussing music there really is no logic. I, for example, am not very keen on long instrumental solos. Having said that, the Allman Brothers' Live At The Fillmore East, which is basically one long guitar duet extended over 4 sides, is in my all-time top 30. As a kid I heard one of their shows on the radio and was blown away by it. Soon after I bought the Fillmore East album, which fully delivered. My next purchase was Eat A Peach. And boy, what a bummer that was. The album is made up of leftovers from the Fillmore East concerts (Duane Allman's last recordings before his death) and a couple of post-Duane songs, that sound exactly what they are: like a band desperately trying to find a direction after their starplayer had quit. Apart from One Way Out there's nothing on Eat A Peach that can stand in the shadow of its predeccesor.
And Fiona Apple? When The Pawn... is simply one of the best female singer/songwriter albums of the 90s.
Fiona Apple wins.

Division 4:
From what I've read about the two albums in this division, for 99% certain I would've voted for Loretta Lynn. But since I actually haven't listened to any of these, I pass.

Mindrocker

Division 2:
God knows how much I love french music. From Django Reinhardt & Piaf's chansons to 60s yéyé, and from Gainsbourg to current artists like Laurent Garnier and Justice. Even my all-time favorite album is french (Magma's Mekanik Destruktïw Kommandöh). But there's one thing they are not very good at. And that's Rocking Out. I suppose some francophone visitors on this forum will vehemently disagree with me, but I think there are few french kick-ass rock bands that can compete with their anglo-american colleagues.

I won't disagree. Only Noir Désir can compare with anglo-american bands on a regular basis. But I think Téléphone's best-of can compare with much of anglo-american rock bands best-ofs... on a single album, that's another problem !

Mindrocker

Division 3:
When it comes to discussing music there really is no logic. I, for example, am not very keen on long instrumental solos. Having said that, the Allman Brothers' Live At The Fillmore East, which is basically one long guitar duet extended over 4 sides, is in my all-time top 30. As a kid I heard one of their shows on the radio and was blown away by it. Soon after I bought the Fillmore East album, which fully delivered. My next purchase was Eat A Peach. And boy, what a bummer that was. The album is made up of leftovers from the Fillmore East concerts (Duane Allman's last recordings before his death) and a couple of post-Duane songs, that sound exactly what they are: like a band desperately trying to find a direction after their starplayer had quit. Apart from One Way Out there's nothing on Eat A Peach that can stand in the shadow of its predeccesor.
And Fiona Apple? When The Pawn... is simply one of the best female singer/songwriter albums of the 90s.
Fiona Apple wins.

Desperation? That's an interesting perspective.

As I thoroughly enjoy many tracks on the Eat a Peach album as do many other avid music listeners, I wonder exactly what the basis of your "desperation" assessment is.

Perhaps you realize that the Eat a Peach album was released after the death of Duane Allman. Please help me understand whether you are referring to this departure as quitting.

Sonic Youth
Gene Vincent
Allman Brothers
Ted Leo

Hi Henry, I know that Eat A Peach is held in high esteem by many (on AMG it got 5 stars), but as the comments above show, there are others who beg to differ, and will avoid ever listening to it again. Not me though. I had this record for many years, heard it innumerous times and it has become part of the soundtrack of my youth. Still, I think this is the weakest album by the classic Allman Brothers line-up.
Of course, considering the circumstances, it's all very understandable. The Allmans had just lost lead guitarplayer Duane Allman in a motorbike crash, while he was the main focus on the jam-oriented songs. Second man Dicky Betts is a great guitarist in his own right, but without the duels there's something missing on the tracks they recorded after Duane's death. However, my main problem with Eat A Peach is that the songs themselves aren't very memorable and focused: going from hardrock to the familiar jam to an introverted country shuffle. Even the ones where the oldest Allman brother is still present, they seem more muted and less vital than earlier work (at this period the band were doing lots of drugs). Oh yeah, and that Mountain Jam (which takes up half of the running time of the whole double album) is just tedious. It ain't without a reason that it was left off the original Fillmore East release. In all, this album doesn't come over very much as a coherent entity, it sounds as if three different bands are at work here.
I also think it's telling that it took the Allman Brothers almost two years for a follow-up (in the 70s an eternity for not releasing anything).

Mindrocker
Hi Henry, I know that Eat A Peach is held in high esteem by many (on AMG it got 5 stars), but as the comments above show, there are others who beg to differ, and will avoid ever listening to it again. Not me though. I had this record for many years, heard it innumerous times and it has become part of the soundtrack of my youth. Still, I think this is the weakest album by the classic Allman Brothers line-up.
Of course, considering the circumstances, it's all very understandable. The Allmans had just lost lead guitarplayer Duane Allman in a motorbike crash, while he was the main focus on the jam-oriented songs. Second man Dicky Betts is a great guitarist in his own right, but without the duels there's something missing on the tracks they recorded after Duane's death. However, my main problem with Eat A Peach is that the songs themselves aren't very memorable and focused: going from hardrock to the familiar jam to an introverted country shuffle. Even the ones where the oldest Allman brother is still present, they seem more muted and less vital than earlier work (at this period the band were doing lots of drugs). Oh yeah, and that Mountain Jam (which takes up half of the running time of the whole double album) is just tedious. It ain't without a reason that it was left off the original Fillmore East release. In all, this album doesn't come over very much as a coherent entity, it sounds as if three different bands are at work here.
I also think it's telling that it took the Allman Brothers almost two years for a follow-up (in the 70s an eternity for not releasing anything).

Thanks for sharing your sage perspective. I am no fan of Mountain Jam and appreciate all of your very well articulated points. I must admit a bit of a bias when it comes to Eat a Peach, because I heard Eat a Peach at the same time I was introduced to the Allman Brothers generally. While the band sounded different without the dueling guitar sounds they mastered with Duane and Dicky, two of my all-time favorites are on this album (Melissa and Blue Sky) so even with some flaws, I have a difficult time viewing Eat a Peach as an album associated with "desperation." While not as good as Eat a Peach, I also thought that the next Allman Brothers effort (Brothers and Sisters) was quite good.

Division 3 Winner: The Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach

This was a very hard one, going back and forth between two albums I like a lot. Apple's voice is stirring and her sonic experimentation is bold. My problem with When the Pawn is that there are no particularly catchy tunes. Tidal (which I love) had them, but this one less so. Now that does not always bother me, but for some reason I have recently been in the critical mood where I am craving those radio-friendly, instantly memorable tunes. And maybe it's because I was weaned on half of Eat a Peach, but I get that in spades with the Allmans. I have always liked the Allman Bros. And while they do not the same restless, envelope-stretching spirit that Apple has, there is grace and beauty in the guitars, in the songs, and even in the vocals. Sure, "Mountain Jam" is too long. But in contrast to some of the jams on Blind Faith, there are enough gripping moments to sustain interest.

I find some of the tunes on When The Pawn to be very catchy.

"And when I think of it, my fingers turn to fists, I never did anything to you man. No matter what I try you beat me with your bitter lies, so call me crazy hold me down make me cry get off now boy, it won't be long till you'll be lying limp in your own hand."

Alliterative, free-rhyming. The sort of thing that gets stuck in my head at least.

But then again, so does It's Alright Ma.

I also think When the Pawn is catchy, not Tidal catchy, but there are a few hooks. Though my favorite moment of the album will always be Love Ridden. It is very underrated, if it had came out a year later maybe we would see some justice last year, but no, it was the "forgotten" 1999. One of the greatest of that decade and very Underrated indeed.

My picks are:

Division 1:

Sonic Youth - Dirty

Division 2:

Division 3:

Division 4:

Division 1:

Sonic Youth - Dirty -- WINNER

Division 2:

Gene Vincent - Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps -- WINNER vs

Division 3:

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn -- WINNER

Division 4:

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose -- WINNER vs

Sonic Youth, "Dirty" vs. Paul McCartney, "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard"
Winner: Paul McCartney

I tried to like "Dirty." I really did. But I'm just not a Sonic Youth fan; the hazy lo-fi dissonances just don't do anything for me. McCartney's album is far from a masterpiece, but it's solid enough for me to vote for it over the alternative.

Gene Vincent, "Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps" vs. Téléphone, "Un Autre Monde"
Winner: Téléphone

Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps deliver some good old-fashioned rockabilly music, and on the first listen I thought they might be strong enough to garner my vote. But I decided the melodies on "Un Autre Monde" are beautiful, and the album manages to encapsulate a wider range of emotions. I particularly enjoyed "Le Garçon D'ascenseur."

As a point of clarification, is "Le jour s'est levé" part of this album or not? Wikipedia tells me it is, but it's not featured on the Amazon page, or on Last.fm. (To listen to this album, I had to stream it through Grooveshark, which meant I had to put together the tracklist myself). I thought that this song was also a beautiful track. If it is on the album, it would make it that much stronger.

Kingoftonga
Sonic Youth, "Dirty" vs. Paul McCartney, "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard"
Winner: Paul McCartney

I tried to like "Dirty." I really did. But I'm just not a Sonic Youth fan; the hazy lo-fi dissonances just don't do anything for me. McCartney's album is far from a masterpiece, but it's solid enough for me to vote for it over the alternative.

Gene Vincent, "Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps" vs. Téléphone, "Un Autre Monde"
Winner: Téléphone

Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps deliver some good old-fashioned rockabilly music, and on the first listen I thought they might be strong enough to garner my vote. But I decided the melodies on "Un Autre Monde" are beautiful, and the album manages to encapsulate a wider range of emotions. I particularly enjoyed "Le Garçon D'ascenseur."

As a point of clarification, is "Le jour s'est levé" part of this album or not? Wikipedia tells me it is, but it's not featured on the Amazon page, or on Last.fm. (To listen to this album, I had to stream it through Grooveshark, which meant I had to put together the tracklist myself). I thought that this song was also a beautiful track. If it is on the album, it would make it that much stronger.

"Le jour s'est levé" is a great song but it's a single, not an album track.

Whatever, clearly, "Un autre monde" is not the best album of Téléphone. "Crache ton venin" et "Dure limite" is far much better.
I rarely advise buying a best of, but for Téléphone, the Best Of is absolutly perfect with only very good songs.
http://www.amazon.fr/Best-T%C3%A9l%C3%A9phone/dp/B000007WIT

Division 1:
Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
WINNER - Sonic Youth - Dirty

Division 2:
Gene Vincent - Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps
WINNER - Telephone - Un Autre Monde

Division 3:
Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach
WINNER - Fiona Apple - When The Pawn

Division 4:
WINNER - Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

For Divisions 2,3 and 4, the choice was easy. By cons, I really like both the two albums of the first division. I choose the Sonic Youth because I seek right now something more energic.

Division 1:
Sonic Youth - Dirty WINNER
The bottom line here is that I prefer SY's discord over PM's pleasant if somewhat safe songwriting. AMG is right in calling "Chaos" a "grower". But "Dirty" is likely one of my top three Sonic Youth efforts, and they're a band I have immense respect for.

Division 2:
Telephone - Un Autre Monde WINNER
I enjoy Gene Vincent, but haven't quite gotten to the point where the songs fail to blend together after prolonged listening. Telephone, on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise - very catchy songs with much variety in presentation.

Division 3:
Fiona Apple - When The Pawn... WINNER
Interesting contrast in styles between these two. The Allman's have some great (if at times overly-long) jams, but the fresh (and indeed catchy) sounds emanating from "When The Pawn..." make it a winner.

Division 4:
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance WINNER
I think Lynn's/White's "Portland Oregon" may be the best song on either album here, and while I appreciate the rest of "Van Lear Rose", overall I am partial to the driving urgency of the Pharmacists pop/punk sound.

Division 1: Dirty
Division 2: Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps
Division 3: Pass
Division 4: Van Lear Rose

Dirty has some great songs on it, the only fault I have with it is that it runs too long. I skip Orange Rolls Angel's Spit every time.

The Allman Brothers Band, "Eat a Peach" vs. Fiona Apple, "When the Pawn..."
Winner: The Allman Brothers Band

"Eat a Peach" is not the best Allman Brothers recording, and I'm not sure why it's more acclaimed than, say, "Idlewild South." But the jams are solid, and even though I'm glad that "Mountain Jam" was left off of "At Fillmore East," I'm glad I get to listen to it here.

I like "When the Pawn..." a lot, and I love Fiona Apple's voice. This was far more difficult to decide than brackets 1 and 2. But, in the end, I like instrumental jams. Maybe it's because I was into classical music way before I got into popular music. Still, if Fiona Apple wins I won't be disappointed at all.

Sonic Youth - Dirty
Pass
Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

Loretta Lynn, "Van Lear Rose" vs. Ted Leo, "The Tyranny of Distance"
Winner: Ted Leo

Maybe my expectations were raised by the rave reviews I remember seeing for "Van Lear Rose," but, while I enjoyed the album, it did nothing to convince me it was more deserving than Ted Leo. "The Tyranny of Distance" is a little bit long (the eight-minute "Stove By A Whale" could be cut altogether, I think), but the fast-paced riffs and the melodic-pop-punk sound made it more memorable to me than "Van Lear Rose."

Vote closes in about 18 hours.

I will not be here when the vote closes, but I want to stress that out of fairness, late votes will not be counted if they will change the result. Of course, a lot of the votes are very close this week, so if you are late it still might be worth voting to break a tie.

Lower turnout in just the second week. I hope it's not just because two people with opposite tastes happened to get in a heated argument last week.

It being Martin Luther King Day tomorrow, I'll take this opportunity to urge everybody to 'Disagree without being disagreeable'.

Sonic Youth - Dirty 11 def
Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the Backyard 2

Telephone - Un Autre Monde 7 def
Gene Vincent - Gene Vincent and his Blue Caps 5

Fiona Apple - When The Pawn 7 def
Allman Brothers - Eat A Peach 6

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose 7 def
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance 4

I will put the next vote thread up a bit later.