Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Round 2, Week 2

(In honor of Christmas) Who Santa didn’t visit:
48. PJ Harvey (9 points)
47. New Order (9)
46. Pixies (7)
And who got coal in their stocking: The Byrds (5), The Jam (5), CCR (5), Elvis Costello (5)
Two of my three big enemies got the boot.
Now, let the games begin! We are down to 48 artists. Here, please post four artists want you off the “Island” out of the remaining artists. Please see the Rules Thread for the complete set of rules. Remember that one artist get 3 points, the next gets 2, and so on.

Moonbeam won the Immunity Challenge last week, so Prince is immune this week.

The Remaining Artists:
Arcade Fire, The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Blur, James Brown, The Byrds, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, The Clash, Sam Cooke, Elvis Costello, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, The Jam, Joy Division, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Curtis Mayfield, Nirvana, OutKast, Pavement, Elvis Presley, Prince, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Sly and the Family Stone, The Smashing Pumpkins, Elliot Smith, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, The Stooges, Talking Heads, The White Stripes, Wilco, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young

Re: AM Survivor: Round 2, Week 2

-3 Smashing Pumpkins
-2 The Stooges
-1 Arcade Fire

-3 Elliott Smith
-2 Elvis Presley
-1 The Stooges

-3 OutKast
-2 Miles Davis
-1 Arcade Fire

-3 The White Stripes
-2 Arcade Fire
-1 Nirvana

-3 Johnny Cash
-2 Bruce Springsteen
-1 Creedence Clearwater Revival

OK. Time to oust Arcade Fire. The Suburbs being so far ahead in the EOY list is very disappointing.

-3 Arcade Fire
-2 The Byrds
-1 Johnny Cash

-3 Nirvana
-2 The White Stripes
-1 The Jam

-3 The Byrds
-2 The Jam
-1 Wilco

-3 Stooges
-2 Sonic Youth
-1 Joy Division

-3 Bruce Springsteen
-2 Creedence Clearwater Revival
-1 Nirvana

-3 Elvis Costello
-2 CCR
-1 Miles Davis

-3 Smashing Pumpkins
-2 Arcade Fire
-1 Wilco

What's with the sudden Arcade Fire hate?

Listyguy

For me, it's The Suburbs unjustly placing 1st in the EOY spreadsheet so far. I've heard about 30 albums from 2010, and it was the second worst one in my book.

Listyguy

Not necessarily hate,but look at the artists remaining. Only a few of them aren't rock n'roll icons - Arcade Fire are one of those few...

Midaso
Listyguy

Not necessarily hate,but look at the artists remaining. Only a few of them aren't rock n'roll icons - Arcade Fire are one of those few...

Some of the icons are probably just not appreciated by those voting against them. Must have been the case to some extent for The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, The Who, and Radiohead.

I am not sure that the three artists I am voting against this week: Stooges (62), Sonic Youth (49) and Joy Division (51) deserve the "icon" appellation when compared to the 5 artists mentioned above; especially in view of Arcade Fire being rated as the 114th best artist even before their Suburbs album.

3 - Joy Division
2 - The Stooges
1 - Elliott Smith

-3 Smashing Pumpkins
-2 Arcade Fire
-1 Simon and Garfunkel

Henry
Midaso
Listyguy

Some of the icons are probably just not appreciated by those voting against them. Must have been the case to some extent for The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, The Who, and Radiohead.

I am not sure that the three artists I am voting against this week: Stooges (62), Sonic Youth (49) and Joy Division (51) deserve the "icon" appellation when compared to the 5 artists mentioned above; especially in view of Arcade Fire being rated as the 114th best artist even before their Suburbs album.

I'll make a case for why each of those artists should be considered iconic, although I'm pretty sure most critics think they do, as denoted by their high AM rank:

The Stooges - Incredibly important and influential rock band. The Stooges - along with the VU - were the first rock band to stray far from blues, and really influence the punk rock music. However, where the VU was cerebral, The Stooges were primal. Funhouse contains the rawest rock and roll I've ever heard. There are few figures in all of popular music more iconic than Iggy Pop - the wildest frontman of all time who would often cut himself with shards of glass on stage.

Sonic Youth - One of the early flagship bands for ther indie/alternative scene. They have a massive discography that ranges from radio-ready alterna-pop to hardcore experimentation. The "something inbetween" albums like Daydream Nation and Sister are the the place to be though. Their influence on alternative rock is pretty huge. They aren't my personal favorite band from that time period, but I do love Daydream Nation and I could see why someone would rank theri discography up there with the all-time greats.

Joy Division - Might be the most iconic of the three. Unfortunately, Ian Curtis has become a caricature for death/depression/darkness, and I feel like not enough attention is really given to their music, which is uniformly brilliant. They made two perfect no-filler albums, and one heckuva single; none of which has really been matched since. Other than maybe the Pixies, I can't think of a single artist with a greater influence on last decade's indie scene. I mean, just listen to Turn on the Bright Lights: Interpol and many other bands made whole careers out of copping JD's sound.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see why someone might prefer The Who's tightly composed pop songs to the above three artists. The Stooges' can at times be unstructured and devolve into jams; Sonic Youth have albums that are just too abrasive; and while I personally I think Joy Division is perfect, they admittedly don't cover very much emotional ground. That said, my ballot for this week

-3 The Jam
-2 Elvis Costello
-1 The Byrds

All three are fine artists, but alas, at this point in the game that's all that's really left.

SR
Henry
Midaso
Listyguy

I'll make a case for why each of those artists should be considered iconic, although I'm pretty sure most critics think they do, as denoted by their high AM rank:

The Stooges - Incredibly important and influential rock band. The Stooges - along with the VU - were the first rock band to stray far from blues, and really influence the punk rock music. However, where the VU was cerebral, The Stooges were primal. Funhouse contains the rawest rock and roll I've ever heard. There are few figures in all of popular music more iconic than Iggy Pop - the wildest frontman of all time who would often cut himself with shards of glass on stage.

Sonic Youth - One of the early flagship bands for ther indie/alternative scene. They have a massive discography that ranges from radio-ready alterna-pop to hardcore experimentation. The "something inbetween" albums like Daydream Nation and Sister are the the place to be though. Their influence on alternative rock is pretty huge. They aren't my personal favorite band from that time period, but I do love Daydream Nation and I could see why someone would rank theri discography up there with the all-time greats.

Joy Division - Might be the most iconic of the three. Unfortunately, Ian Curtis has become a caricature for death/depression/darkness, and I feel like not enough attention is really given to their music, which is uniformly brilliant. They made two perfect no-filler albums, and one heckuva single; none of which has really been matched since. Other than maybe the Pixies, I can't think of a single artist with a greater influence on last decade's indie scene. I mean, just listen to Turn on the Bright Lights: Interpol and many other bands made whole careers out of copping JD's sound.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see why someone might prefer The Who's tightly composed pop songs to the above three artists. The Stooges' can at times be unstructured and devolve into jams; Sonic Youth have albums that are just too abrasive; and while I personally I think Joy Division is perfect, they admittedly don't cover very much emotional ground. That said, my ballot for this week

-3 The Jam
-2 Elvis Costello
-1 The Byrds

All three are fine artists, but alas, at this point in the game that's all that's really left.

Thanks so much for sharing your perspectives. Hopefully, I will now be able to better appreciate the Stooges, Joy Division and Sonic Youth.

Still is is likely that I will continue voting against them

I really do like The Stooges and I agree with everything that was said considering their icon status. The problem is at this point, I really like everyone left except Elliott Smith so it gets tough to choose who to give my points to. This week I just felt The Stooges, who knows next week could be different.

Hey guys, I haven't posted on this forum very often, but I'm an avid reader and love AM. I hope I will become a regular eventually. That said, here's my first contribution to AM survivor:

3 - Elvis Costello: The only artist left I really dislike. I find his voice annoying and his music unoriginal.

2 - Sonic Youth: I just don't get it.

1 - Curtis Mayfield: I don't have anything against him, but I just don't see him as on par with any of the remaining artists.

I really hope the Smashing Pumpkins aren't eliminated!

-3: Johhny Cash
-2: The Jam
-1: Led Zeppelin

Welcome to the forum, Seanywack.

-3 Beach Boys
-2 Johnny Cash
-1 The Byrds

Live from Marbella, Spain. A short message.

-3 The Jam
-2 The Smashing Pumpkins
-1 Elvis Costello

3 points - Ray Charles
2 points - The Jam
1 point - Al Green

Happy New Year. This Year's portion of the tourney is over.