Go to the NEW FORUM
In the decade/ year end lists we always see point totals...do you have point totals readily available for the following ranked albums:
#1 of all time (Pet Sounds)
#100 of all time
#250 of all time
#500 of all time
#750 of all time
#1000 of all time
If this isn't readily available, I understand, I'm just curious where the point totals are the closest...for example, it seems like albums between 400-600 flip around a lot.
I'm also curious what you consider the break point of a "classic album"...knowing all the point totals and what goes into certain rankings, is there a place that you consider a giant drop-off...
Thanks so much. This at least gives me some insight into things.
It also gives me a deeper appreciation of how difficult an update is!
Merry X-mas to all!
Out of curiosity, I checked the 10 largest differences in the top 3000.
1. 57-58 (Odelay - Rumours) 8.6 points
2. 26-27 (Sign 'O' the Times - Thriller) 8.0 points
3. 39-40 (Kind of Blue - 'Live' at the Apollo) 7.4 points
4. 125-126 (Aftermath - In Utero) 7.4 points
5. 229-230 (Younger Than Yesterday - One Nation Under a Groove) 7.1 points
6. 147-148 (Moon Safari - Entertainment!) 6.6 points
7. 15-16 (Astral Weeks - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars) 6.5 points
8. 33-34 (Who's Next - Funeral) 6.3 points
9. 70-71 (Dummy - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) 5.8 points
10. 210-211 (Abraxas - Loaded) 5.7 points
That said, it is easier to overtake a 7 points difference in the 200-300 region than in the top 40, because it doesn't take as many critics' lists to make a distinct change in the important match-ups (those that have a "winner percentage" between 33 and 67 percent). For example, let's say it's exactly 50/50 in the match-up between "Astral Weeks" and "Ziggy" and in the match-up between "Younger Than Yesterday" and "One Nation Under a Groove", then one additional list might only change the Astral/Ziggy match-up to 50.4/49.6 while the YTY/ONUAG match-up would be 53/47 or something like that.
If you didn't follow this explanation, just lean back and enjoy the AM ranking.
I always figured that it was easier to jump in the lower reaches than the upper. The top 5 hasn't moved since I started coming to Acclaimed several years ago...but I've seen 1500 spot jumps in that time as well.