The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Captain Beefheart RIP

Sad news, indeed. I was funneled through Captain Beefheart through the Frank Zappa connection. As for albums I have purchased/listened to Trout Mask Replica, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), and Safe As Milk, in that order. They all had really unique qualities. I remember a Frank Zappa book described Trout Mask as album without any definable musical influences (even stating that Captain Beefheart's previous work doesn't serve as a precedent). It truly is its own thing.

For the real fans out there, shat's the next album I should try after listening to those three?

Jonah
Sad news, indeed. I was funneled through Captain Beefheart through the Frank Zappa connection. As for albums I have purchased/listened to Trout Mask Replica, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), and Safe As Milk, in that order. They all had really unique qualities. I remember a Frank Zappa book described Trout Mask as album without any definable musical influences (even stating that Captain Beefheart's previous work doesn't serve as a precedent). It truly is its own thing.

For the real fans out there, shat's the next album I should try after listening to those three?

The captain's favorite: "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" almost as difficult as Trout Mask Replica
My favorite: "Clear Spot", very accessible
Also ok: "The Spotlight Kid", "Doc at the Radar Station"

Honestly almost everything the dude has released is worth of the time. Like antonius said: Clear Spot is very accessible and should be the next one to listen. At least it was my third pick after Safe and Trout.

Jonah

You should try Mirror Man. It's from the same recording session as Safe as Milk but it's only 4 songs and they're (very) long blues jams that are very good.

or if you're not into that then Doc at the Radar Station is also very good and, i think, much better than Lick My Decals Off, Baby, which I found a little disappointing (but still good). It's similar musically to TMR but the song structures aren't as free, the guitars are much less abrasive sounding and there's no atonal clarinets or saxophones.

RIP

And I've lost my copy of Safe as Milk :( Fortunately, it's available on Rhapsody.

Thanks for the tips.

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/7910-appreciation-captain-beefheart/
Another piece on the Captain on Pitchfork