Comment
AM Survivor: Round 2, Week 1

Who’s not going on to round 2:
53. T. Rex (21 points)
52. Kraftwerk (12)
51. Leonard Cohen (12)
50. Portishead (10)
49. Van Morrison (10)
The first week Moonbeam doesn’t get immunity…
Note: Due to the massive tie for 4 and 5, the artists that received the most unique votes were eliminated.
Who will make it, but not by much: Pixies (10), Sonic Youth (10), Smashing Pumpkins (9)

Now, let the games begin! We are down to 48 artists. Here, please post four artists want you off the “Island” out of the remaining artists. Please see the Rules Thread for the complete set of rules. Remember that one artist get 3 points, the next gets 2, and so on.

Jackson won the Immunity Challenge last week, so Joy Division is immune this week.

The Remaining Artists:
Arcade Fire, The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Blur, James Brown, The Byrds, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, The Clash, Sam Cooke, Elvis Costello, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, The Jam, Joy Division, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Curtis Mayfield, New Order, Nirvana, OutKast, Pavement, Pixies, Elvis Presley, Prince, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Sly and the Family Stone, The Smashing Pumpkins, Elliot Smith,The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, The Stooges, Talking Heads, The White Stripes, Wilco, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young

Re: AM Survivor: Round 2, Week 1

REMEMBER TO ONLY VOTE FOR 3 ARTISTS
-3 PJ Harvey
-2 Smashing Pumpkins
-1 New Order

Ugh! That's gotta be the worst survivor outcome ever!

-3 The Byrds
-2 Wilco
-1 The Jam

Just for the fun, I put artist remain in five categories.

Artists I really dislike :
-3 Johnny Cash
-2 Bruce Springsteen
-1 Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Beach Boys
OutKast
The Jam
New Order

Artists I can listen, but it's not really what I love :
Ray Charles
The Smiths
Pavement
The Byrds
Pixies
Elvis Presley
R.E.M.
Chuck Berry
Simon and Garfunkel
Sly and the Family Stone
The Smashing Pumpkins
Sonic Youth
Elvis Costello
The Stooges
Talking Heads
Wilco
Al Green
PJ Harvey

Artists I love :
Michael Jackson
Joy Division
The Kinks
James Brown
Led Zeppelin
Elliot Smith
Arcade Fire
Curtis Mayfield
Nirvana
The Clash
Sam Cooke
Otis Redding
Marvin Gaye
Neil Young

Artists I adore :
The Rolling Stones
Lou Reed
Blur
Miles Davis
The White Stripes
Aretha Franklin
Stevie Wonder
Jimi Hendrix

Intouchable :
Prince

-3 Pixies
-2 Sonic Youth
-1 Stooges

Henrik
Ugh! That's gotta be the worst survivor outcome ever!

I agree that it's pretty crappy.

-3 Pixies
-2 The Byrds
-1 Johnny Cash

3. Nirvana
2. The White Stripes
1. The Jam

I don't really dislike any artists remaining. Nevertheless:

-3 Miles Davis
-2 OutKast
-1 PJ Harvey

All of the artist I hate: Zappa, Cohen, Kraftwerk have already been eliminated, now this gets tough...

(-3) Elliott Smith -- I enjoy an occasional Elliott Smith song, there is a station here in Milwaukee that plays him quite a bit (88.9 Radio Milwaukee, great station loaded with a ton of AM only artists), but compared to the remaining artists I have to make him my next target.

(-2) PJ Harvey -- Feel the same about Polly as I do about Elliott.

(-1) The Beach Boys -- This for "Kokomo" and for having John Stamos in the video, it cancels out the brilliance of 'Pet Sounds' and makes them just slightly above average.

-3 Creedence Clearwater Revival
-2 Led Zeppelin
-1 James Brown

-3 Elvis Costello
-2 Sam Cooke
-1 Miles Davis

-3 New Order
-2 PJ Harvey
-1 Pixies

3 - New Order
2 - The Stooges
1 - PJ Harvey

-3 Beach Boys
-2 New Order
-1 CCR

@Slick: I find most of their surfing-era songs unbearable. If the same band that produced those can make 'Good Vibrations' maybe we should be paying more attention to the Backstreet Boys.

BillAdama
-3 Beach Boys
-2 New Order
-1 CCR

@Slick: I find most of their surfing-era songs unbearable. If the same band that produced those can make 'Good Vibrations' maybe we should be paying more attention to the Backstreet Boys.

Although I consider myself a big Beach Boys fan, I do think you make a good point. Before I got into the Beach Boys, I was turned off by how it seemed like all of their songs had the same melody, all touching the subject of surfing, girls, driving, USA, and Califor-nigh-ay.
If anything, N Sync could theoretically be compared to the Beach Boys, in that it has produced Justin Timberlake, one of the most acclaimed acts of the 2000s.

-3 The Jam
-2 Elvis Costello
-1 Al Green

Not a single artist I dislike is left in the competition, but I do feel lukwarm about a couple, and the above three fit into the category.

Daniel
BillAdama
-3 Beach Boys
-2 New Order
-1 CCR

Although I consider myself a big Beach Boys fan, I do think you make a good point. Before I got into the Beach Boys, I was turned off by how it seemed like all of their songs had the same melody, all touching the subject of surfing, girls, driving, USA, and Califor-nigh-ay.
If anything, N Sync could theoretically be compared to the Beach Boys, in that it has produced Justin Timberlake, one of the most acclaimed acts of the 2000s.

Hold on a minute...Don't want to turn this into a heated debate but doesn't this unbearable "surfing-era" happen to include 'In My Room', 'Don't Worry Baby', 'Wendy', 'The Warmth of the Sun', 'Please Let Me Wonder', 'She Knows Me Too Well', 'Let Him Run Wild' and 'The Little Girl I Once Knew', to name but a few? I would also care to mention the likes of 'I Get Around' and 'California Girls', whose melodies I think it would be more than a bit unfair to lump in the Surf-Candy Pop bracket.

Now, could Nick Carter or JT the Magnificent Polymath pull even one line of any of those songs out of a hat, I would readily worship their every step. As it is, I'll stick with SMiLE and Reimagines Gershwin (not that I don't like JT).

Early Beach Boys is great. Today! is a classic album. Some of their best pieces of work came before Pet Sounds. Every song Guy listed is great.

The Beach Boys are the deepest "songs" band ever. Their T10, and even T20 are just too good.

The reason the Beach Boys are America's greatest band is mainly because of their pre-Pet Sounds work

The only reason I'm NOT voting for The Beach Boys is "God Only Knows". I agree with a few others in that their surfing songs make me want to throw things.

they even accidently pulled THE indie pop blueprint itself with Smiley Smile out of Brian's head. that's one hell of a pre-slacker-fuck-the-capitol-we-have-to-publish-uz-sum-record-minimalism-oddfest by all means..

Merry Christmas, and this week is now over.
Off the record, I got a vinyl copy of Abbey Road and a Revolver Puzzle for Christmas, so I played Abbey Road while doing the Revolver Puzzle.