Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why aren't compilation albums eligible?

Midaso
Many lists do not include compilation albums,therefore it would be unfair to compare them with proper albums...
Exactly. Magical Mystery Tour and Birth of the Cool are included because they are documents of (and released shortly after) a specific time period in the artist's catalogue, with no songs in common with other non-compilation albums.

True, but albums like "Little Jazz" by Roy Eldridge or "Groovin' High" by Dizzy Gillespie have been released decades after the recording of the material included on it. And the "No Direction Home" soundtrack includes decades-old material too.

Also, people don't visit this site to be recommended greatest hits albums.

I never understood why Nirvana's Muddy Banks of the Wishkah (a compilation of live performances) was considered anymore of an album than Incesticide (a compilation of non-album b-sides.)

Hatful of Hollow and the 3 EPs are also compilations, through and through.

I always felt if comps like that should be included than maybe Robert Johnsons complete recordings should be elligible.

BillAdama
Also, people don't visit this site to be recommended greatest hits albums.

I'm not really sure about about that.
Particularly for people who are branching out to styles/genres/bands they're not yet familiar with compilations can be very handy as an introduction. I know Henrik is already sacrificing too much of his time to this site, but I think it would be fun to have one day a decent compilation list.

If you guys like compilations, check out this...

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/comp/all-time