The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Artists Lists Project: Seeking Other Lists

Regarding the NME poll: I'll admit that I am a dinosaur when it comes to music, but do you young kids really believe that artists 12-15

12. APHEX TWIN
13. SCOTT WALKER
14. THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS
15. THE FLAMING LIPS

are really "more influential" than artist no. 16:

16. BOB DYLAN

???

Maybe cooler or more hip, but I have a hard time believing more influential. Dylan re-wrote the book and ushered in the modern era of pop music.

The Time Out list of "important" artists has The Happy Mondays listed above The Clash (formerly "the only band that matters").

Agree?

Also, I can't make sense out of Bob Marley at No. 3 most important while The Rolling Stones are way down at No. 25. The Stones had as big an impact on rock as Marley had on reggae. Is reggae really that much more important than rock?

Loophole
Regarding the NME poll: I'll admit that I am a dinosaur when it comes to music, but do you young kids really believe that artists 12-15

12. APHEX TWIN
13. SCOTT WALKER
14. THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS
15. THE FLAMING LIPS

are really "more influential" than artist no. 16:

16. BOB DYLAN

???

Maybe cooler or more hip, but I have a hard time believing more influential. Dylan re-wrote the book and ushered in the modern era of pop music.

That is a horrible list. How is Radiohead even close to the second most influential, and how are the Velvet Underground only number 18 (behind Mos Def)? And is whose dream world is Nick Drake a more influential singer-songwriter than Dylan?

hi JR, here's another list that might interest you for your project...
http://xpn.org/music-artist/885-countdown/2006
When will you tabulate the results...? I can't wait...