Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New update!

Matt Schroeder
Alright, I'll be the first to say it.

When's the next update?
Too early to say. I think I will make one update per year, no more no less. I would like to make this update closer to the end of EOY list, but I don't know if I will be able to make it earlier during 2011, if I'm going to catch up with all the song lists.

Gillingham
Kingoftonga
Is it just me, or did jazz albums not fare particularly well on this update? It seems like nearly every jazz album I've looked at has dropped a few places.

I noticed this as well. I'm not amused with it, as jazz albums are not ranked very well in these kind of pop lists anyway. I think it's quite a perversion that the highest ranked jazz album is positioned at #39 (and the second only at #67).

I completely agree. How are albums like Appetite for Destruction and Tapesty better than A Love Supreme?

On the other hand, hip-hop seems to have fared pretty well compared to the previous list.

Hi Henrik, I'm relatively new to the forum, but I have used your brilliant lists for several years now. Thanks for a great job, this is the best resource of its type out there. And imho your algorithm is spot-on as well, as an IT type I appreciate what is involved here.

Thanks again, and now you can have a holiday?

John

Jonathon
Country still remains the most overlooked genre on acclaimed. Kind of sad that some people can't get past the stigma to see that ultimately, without Country there'd be no rock.
There's not a single country album in the top 100.

I have the exact opposite view.
Any other musical genre so specific to a country is also well represented.
Imagine all these marvelous albums produce all over the world and wich will never appear in this list only because they are non-english speaking.
I have personnally thousand of albums and songs I prefer to music put in the AM list but they will never have the chance to appear on

Believe me, I found the "country" very well represented.

Romain

Any other musical genre so specific to a country is also well represented.
Imagine all these marvelous albums produce all over the world and wich will never appear in this list only because they are non-english speaking.
I have personnally thousand of albums and songs I prefer to music put in the AM list but they will never have the chance to appear on

Believe me, I found the "country" very well represented.

This is why I really hope you're planning to nominate for BMAA. You have familiarity with sections of the list nobody else here does.

Actually TSPDT's biases also have more to do with country than genre. If a film is from the US, UK, France, Italy, Japan, or Germany, it has a very good chance to land high on the list. If it's from any other country, especially the less wealthy ones, it has very little chance at all.

I'm sorry BillAdama but what is BMAA and TSPDT ?

Romain
I'm sorry BillAdama but what is BMAA and TSPDT ?

BMAA : Best moderately acclaimed albums, un sondage en cours sur le forum dont les nominations doivent être envoyées avant Dimanche soir et auquel Bill t'invite donc à jouer

TSPDT : TheyShootPicturesDon'tThey, un site comme acclaimedmusic mais sur le cinéma

Nassim

BMAA : Best moderately acclaimed albums, un sondage en cours sur le forum dont les nominations doivent être envoyées avant Dimanche soir et auquel Bill t'invite donc à jouer

Merci, mais je crois n'avoir pas tout compris au BMAA, il faut donner par mail,une liste de 10 albums, situés en dessous de la 500ème place. Et en dehors de la liste donnée qui est celle du premier round ?
Mais y-at'il des points à attribuer à chaque albums ?
Merci encore et d'avance pour la réponse.

T'as tout compris !
Tu dois nominer 10 albums soit "bubbling under" soit classés en dessous de la 500ème place, et les 128 qui étaient qualifiés la dernière fois sont exclus. Pas de points à donner mais un ordre de préférence.
Bill prendra le n°1 de tout le monde, puis le n°2, puis le N°3 etc. jusqu'à avoir 128 albums, sachant qu'il y a quelques contraintes (par exemple il ne retiendra pas plus de 25 albums classés au-dessus de la 1000ème position je crois) donc tu peux "stratégiser" un peu ta liste (faire remonter un album classé autour de la 700ème place pour augmenter ses chances de se qualifier par exemple), mais une liste avec tes 10 albums préférés dans l'ordre suffira je pense ! Et apparemment, on compte sur toi pour mettre des albums français (parce que perso, j'ai mis 10 albums anglophones).

Nassim
T'as tout compris !
Tu dois nominer 10 albums soit "bubbling under" soit classés en dessous de la 500ème place, et les 128 qui étaient qualifiés la dernière fois sont exclus. Pas de points à donner mais un ordre de préférence.
Bill prendra le n°1 de tout le monde, puis le n°2, puis le N°3 etc. jusqu'à avoir 128 albums, sachant qu'il y a quelques contraintes (par exemple il ne retiendra pas plus de 25 albums classés au-dessus de la 1000ème position je crois) donc tu peux "stratégiser" un peu ta liste (faire remonter un album classé autour de la 700ème place pour augmenter ses chances de se qualifier par exemple), mais une liste avec tes 10 albums préférés dans l'ordre suffira je pense ! Et apparemment, on compte sur toi pour mettre des albums français (parce que perso, j'ai mis 10 albums anglophones).

Merci infiniement...et pour les albums français...j'en ai mis 6
Ca devrait aller.

Exactly, Viguen...

at least the majority of Oscar nominees indeed were notable critical hits. Look at the history of the Grammys and that is far from the case. But, the Oscar awards are the major category is "Best Picture,' whereas for the Grammys it's Album of the Year," "Record of the Year," etc.- "Best" is not part of the title. So, other factors come into play.

Re: Exactly, Viguen...

It seems most of you don't agree with me, but I do think that the Academy Awards aren't much better than the grammys.

In the 2000's we had Crash in 2006, Chicago in 2003 and A Beautiful Mind in 2002. The 90's were worse with Shakespeare in Love in '98 (what?), Titanic in '97, Braveheart in '95 and then Driving Miss Daisy (right) in '89. Then again, the 70's were much better, mostly because of the overall quality of popular Holywood films.

The Best Foreign film category is quite rediculous anyway.

Moreover, the campaigns of big studio's for certain films seem to be more important for the voters (who are not necessarliy films experts or lovers and most of the time don't watch half of the films) than the quality of films. The year Crash won is a very good example of that.

A Beautiful Mind was easily the best film of 2002. I do agree that the winners aren't always the most deserving films, but the nominations for the Oscars definitely correlate more with critical acclaim than the Grammy nominations.

The critics don't agree. A Beautiful Mind isn't even found in the Top 250 of films of the 21 Century, on the TSPDT list.

But maybe you're right and the grammys are even worse. Although before the 90s, the grammys didn't seem to be THAT bad (especially the 70s).

The winner of BP isn't usually the one that deserves it, but if you look at the full list of nominations it usually contains decent to great, accessible, American films. Which I think is the most you can expect from a mainstream award show. Crash may not be a very good film, but it's less ridiculous a choice than over half the Best Album nominees.

A Beautful Mind was just that, a decent and accessible movie. It just, like many Ron Howard films, skews reality toward the sentimental. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the book.)

BillAdama
The winner of BP isn't usually the one that deserves it, but if you look at the full list of nominations it usually contains decent to great, accessible, American films. Which I think is the most you can expect from a mainstream award show. Crash may not be a very good film, but it's less ridiculous a choice than over half the Best Album nominees.

A Beautful Mind was just that, a decent and accessible movie. It just, like many Ron Howard films, skews reality toward the sentimental. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the book.)

Your comments seem to be spot on as far as I can tell. If you consider "The Shawshank Redemption" and its nomination for best picture, the analysis fits your model quite well. Shawshank is now rated as the best film of all time by the IMDB, but lost out for BP to Forrest Gump (which is number 34 in the top 250).

The Grammys...

before the 90s did have some deserving nominees (and winners)- i.e. Thriller. But, it had PLENTY of middle-of-the-road, safe, commercial nominees. Things have progressed some since the late 90s, but we still see those head-scratchers annually. There's so much baggage from the past to overcome that it's never going to be as in line with what critics regard as the best in a given year as the Oscars are.

The Grammys didn't earn nicknames like "Shammys" and "Grannies" for nothing.

Re: The Grammys...

I concur with many of the posts above. Nobody is saying that the Oscars are perfect, indeed they often make suspect choices. The Grammys, on the other hand, have been laughably awful for longer than I care to remember. I would never look at Grammy nominees to figure out what music to listen to, but I would look at Best Picture nominees to get ideas on what to watch.

Re: The Grammys...

I have a question for Henrik or any of the more statistically minded posters; what is the point differential between 400 and 600? It seems like every update, some album makes a massive leap on the third page of the all time list, and an equal amount drop. Am i correct in saying those albums are all fairly close together point wise?

Henrik, DO you know when we can enjoy the update of the top 3000 songs?

Otisredding
Henrik, DO you know when we can enjoy the update of the top 3000 songs?
During 2011 is all I can say at the moment. Hopefully the site update will be earlier than November this time, but I'm not promising anything.

Ok. Thanks