Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Project 3000, Rebooted

As you might imagine, now that the new update is here my "Project 3000" magic number is higher than the three it was last week.

Of the now-current top 3000 albums, I am missing 12.

That'll be reduced to 10 soon enough, as my copy of CONCERTO POUR DETRAQUES has been shipped (thanks again, Stephan) and I'm also awaiting a copy of Max Tundra's MASTERED BY GUY AT THE EXCHANGE, which I ordered on a gamble after it scored so highly on the Porcys EOD list.

The remaining 10:
2188 Supreme NTM, PARIS SOUS LE BOMBES
2539 Marquis de Sade, RUE DE SIAM
2840 Smokey Robinson, WARM THOUGHTS
2896 The Fugs, TENDERNESS JUNCTION
2931 Circulatory System, CIRCULATORY SYSTEM
2967 The Fleshtones, ROMAN GODS
2973 Radio Dept., LESSER MATTERS
2974 The Cure, BLOODFLOWERS
2979 Pet Shop Boys, BILINGUAL
2984 Money Mark, PUSH THE BUTTON

Now that WARM THOUGHTS is almost certainly coming out within the next few months as part of Hip-O Select's solo Smokey 2-for-1 reissue series (thanks again, Daniel), and - believe it or not - TENDERNESS JUNCTION is finally being released for the first time on CD this Tuesday (!!), the one I expect to have the hardest time finding is ROMAN GODS, which has apparently never been released on CD at all.

My biggest recent coup, which has paid off with the album's return to the top 3000, is T Bone Burnett's PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT, which has only seen the light of CD day as part of a 2007 limited-edition issue (5000 copies) in a 2-disc set with Burnett's TRAP DOOR and BEYOND THE TRAP DOOR EP's. Somehow, someone was willing to part with their copy on Amazon for a more-than-reasonable price, and somehow I was lucky enough to snag it.

Re: Project 3000, Rebooted

You don't own The Cure - Bloodflowers? Seriously?

Midaso

That should be an easy one to pick up. It's also a fantastic album, so enjoy!

Midaso

I just hadn't gotten around to picking it up yet. Which I am correcting, right away!

Harold, where do you buy most of your CDs? Is it through the internet, or do you have a local music store around you that you go to for the latest records? (If you do, they sure must appreciate your business!)

Also, will you be rearranging your CDs with the new update? That must take awhile...

Alex D
Harold, where do you buy most of your CDs? Is it through the internet, or do you have a local music store around you that you go to for the latest records? (If you do, they sure must appreciate your business!)

Also, will you be rearranging your CDs with the new update? That must take awhile...

There are three locations in Chicago of a wonderful store called Reckless Records, where I have found countless new and used CDs over the last several years. Before 2007-2008 I bought most of my CDs at either Tower or Virgin, both of which are now gone. I buy my share at Borders and Barnes & Noble and Best Buy, but I can truly say that without Reckless there's no way I'd have as much as I do. And of course, I order a lot from Amazon and (occasionally) eBay.

Yes, I am going to rearrange all my CDs now that the new top 3000 is up. And, yes, it will take a very long time. I spent last night digging through boxes to make sure I have easy access to all of the new entries that I already own.

At some point next year, I'm going to have to alphabetize all my Bubblers by artist. I can't say I'm looking forward to that!

I can't imagine finding Bloodflowers of Bilingual will be hard to find.

even if Henrik only does it once a year these days, i feel so completely screwed each time...

Alex D

i can honestly say it sucks rorqual ass everytime Henrik does his updates... adding up to ANOTHER wasted weekend in my pathetic lifetime... but it still looks pretty nice on itunes, i must admit... (and that's just the digital version, i really don't envy Harold (howsoever his personal physical rearrangement may look like in the end))

Listyguy
I can't imagine finding Bloodflowers of Bilingual will be hard to find.

It's not a question of hard to find, I just didn't have them yet. With luck, they'll be arriving at the end of the week, as will most of the others. (Yes, I decided to forgo the thrill of the hunt this time around, in favor of simply ordering all the ones that were available. I do plan to look for that Fugs CD on Tuesday, though.)

Harold Wexler

Yes, I am going to rearrange all my CDs now that the new top 3000 is up. And, yes, it will take a very long time. I spent last night digging through boxes to make sure I have easy access to all of the new entries that I already own.

You arrange most of your cds by the order on Acclaimed Music? How do you remember where something is when you want to find it? Even John Cusack would find things faster:

X
You arrange most of your cds by the order on Acclaimed Music? How do you remember where something is when you want to find it?

Yes, I arrange the top 3000 in order. I have a separate box for those albums whose unconventional packaging won't allow them to fit in my other storage drawers and boxes, and I've actually rearranged that one already.

When I want to find a CD, I look it up. And I have a pretty good memory.