Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unacclaimed Weeks 9+10

The first round is now finished, and it is time to move on to Round 2! Here, we will return to songs that lost in the first 4 weeks of the tournament. These songs are in bracket L1, which will see the 32 songs that lost in Round 1 become 16. Yes, we will be saying goodbye to 16 songs in this round, but it's not over yet!

I will be out of town from Sunday, December 5th to Saturday, December 10th, and I don't know what internet access I may have. As such, I'm going to post the matchups for both Week 9 and 10.

Please listen to the songs before making your choice, and provide comments (however brief) to form the basis of your pick.

The deadline for both Week 9 and Week 10 is 11:59 PM, December 11th AM time. That's right- you have 2 full weeks to cast your votes! Take your time and enjoy.

You can read the descriptions of why these songs were nominated in the rules thread.

Match L1.1:

The Shirelles - "Baby It's You"
Lindsey Buckingham - "Trouble"

Match L1.2:

Super Furry Animals - "Happiness Is a Worn Pun"
Jars of Clay - "Liquid"

Match L1.3:

Newsboys - "Entertaining Angels"
Genesis - "Behind the Lines"

Match L1.4:

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy"
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle"

Match L1.5:

The Format - "The First Single (You Know Me)"
Mando Diao - "Dance With Somebody"

Match L1.6:

Shudder to Think featuring Jeff Buckley - "I Want Someone Badly"
Nirvana - "Do Re Mi"

Match L1.7:

The Decemberists - "Record Year"
The Alan Parsons Project - "Old and Wise"

Match L1.8:

M. Ward - "Rave On"
OK Go - "This Too Shall Pass"

Re: Unacclaimed Weeks 9+10

L1.1

"Trouble" wins this one because it is catchier and Lindsey is one of my favorite guitarists.

L1.2

"Liquid" wins this, because I felt empowered listening to it. Good music and good lyricism help it win over the okay but not great "Worn Pun."

L1.3

"Entertaining Angels" wins because the Newsboys are the best spiritual band I know and thisw is the best spiritual song I know.

L1.4

These songs are out of my memory, but after a second listen, I liked "Dazzle" better.

L1.5

Here, I didn't worry about artist bias, because I hadn't heard of either before the competition began, I went with "Dance with Somebody" because I loved the singing and moving instruments better than the lackluster "First Single."

L1.6

"I Want Someone Badly" wins easily. "Do Re Mi" is the only song from this competition that I genuinely did not like.

L1.7

"Old and Wise" wins this easy, too. This is, IMO, the best song this week. I'm even surprised to see it here.

L1.8

A strange Buddy Holly cover by someone I've never heard of vs. one of my hands-down favorite videos of the year with a good song to back it up. "This to Shall Pass" wins, but only by a bit since "Rave On" was alright as far as cover versions go.

Match L1.1:

I wonder where else I have heard those "shalalala"... I think I will remember sooner or later. Anyway, great song versus one I don't care much of

Match L1.2:

That SFA song is really great, noisy the way I like it !

Match L1.3:

pass

Match L1.4:

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy"
Siouxsie song came as a disappointment, while the Cardiacs are surprisingly innocuous

Match L1.5:

Fun and efficient song against a plain pop-rock FM hit.

Match L1.6:

In the battle between Buckley & Nirvana, I would go for Nirvana most of the time (even though Grace is my favorite song of both discographies), but here the Nirvana song is more of a sketch than a real song while Shudder to Think has put out a finished work!

Match L1.7:

Probably my favorite of the 16 songs of the thread

Match L1.8:

M.Ward missed his try here, while this too shall pass, while not great, is fun.

Match L1.1:

The Shirelles - "Baby It's You" wins over
Pretty close match. Trouble is somewhat sedate but it grew on me after a second listen - smooth and pleasant. The Shirelles vocals are superb.

Match L1.2:

Jars of Clay - "Liquid" wins over Super Furry Animals - "Happiness Is a Worn Pun"
Neither song provides a journey of note, but I found myself less annoyed by the repetitive nature of "Liquid" than "Happiness is a Warm Pun"

Match L1.3:

Genesis - "Behind the Lines" wins over Newsboys - "Entertaining Angels"
Entertaining Angels is a fine song, but lacks the musically interesting rhythms and composition of "Behind the Lines"

Match L1.4:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle" wins over Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy"
Depsite its slow and quiet start, I found that Dazzle's sparse sound with appealing vocals worked better for me than Dirty Boys which seemed too long and somewhat uninteresting to me.

Match L1.5:

Mando Diao - "Dance With Somebody" wins over The Format - "The First Single (You Know Me)"
I enjoyed both songs, but was clearly more energized by Dance with Somebody.

Match L1.6:

Shudder to Think featuring Jeff Buckley - "I Want Someone Badly" wins over Nirvana - "Do Re Mi"
Buckley's vocals don't measure up with his better known songs, but are still very good in a song which is admittedly a bit plodding. On the other hand, the Nirvana tune provides an acoustic rendering including Cobain's less than consistently enjoyable vocals. The starkness of the acoustic guitar is interesting, but enough to carry the song for me.

Match L1.7:

The Alan Parsons Project - "Old and Wise" wins over The Decemberists - "Record Year"
The video for "Record Year" is very interesting, but the beauty of "Old and Wise" far outshines the credible delivery by the Decemberists

Match L1.8:

M. Ward - "Rave On"wins over
Pretty close call on this one. The OK Go video is very entertaining, but the cover of Rave On works better for me musically.

Match L1.1:

A prime Shirelles song easily beats Buckingham's rather lacklustre "Trouble". I always preferred Nicks.

WINNER: Shirelles

Match L1.2:

Jars of Clay - "Liquid"

Easy choice, as SFA is one of the great bands of the last 15 years, even when they're knocking out quick rave-ups like this one. Jars of Clay leaves me sorta bored.

WINNER: Super Furry Animals

Match L1.3:

Even as a closet Genesis fan, Duke was never really a favorite, probably my least played of their '76-'83 era. That said, "Behind the Lines" is fine pompous fun, and wins over the tepid Newsboys.

WINNER: Genesis

Match L1.4:

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy"

While I admire the sheer gumption of the Cardiacs here, it has no chance at all against the swooning drama of "Dazzle", my very favorite Siouxsie track.

WINNER: Siouxsie and The Banshees

Match L1.5:

Neither of these does a whole lot for me, but I'll go with Mando Diao by a slight edge over The Format.

WINNER: Mando Diao

Match L1.6:

Nirvana - "Do Re Mi"

Easy match here, as Buckley's soulful singing destroys a pedestrian Nirvana castoff.

WINNER: Shudder to Think feat. Buckley

Match L1.7:

Tough one, as I both like and dislike aspects of both, in somewhat similar ways. In the end The Decemberists gets the nod (even though I much dislike Colin Meloy's general preciousness), as that Parsons sax just goes over the edge into yuck.

WINNER: The Decemberists

Match L1.8:

M. Ward - "Rave On"

Would've preferred these split between those in L1.7, as I'm even more bored here. Ah well, a cover of Buddy Holly is still a Buddy Holly song.

WINNER: M. Ward

Match L1.1:

The Shirelles - "Baby It's You" WINNER
While I'm fairly neutral on both of these songs, "Baby It's You" has that little extra nostalgic push going for it.

Match L1.2:

Super Furry Animals - "Happiness Is a Worn Pun" WINNER
Jars of Clay - "Liquid"
Not close in my book - solid SFA song defeats immediately forgettable JoC tune.

Match L1.3:

Genesis - "Behind the Lines" WINNER
Not a huge latter-day Genesis fan, nor do I think this song is great, but "Entertaining Angels" downright annoys me.

Match L1.4:

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy" WINNER
I can see how "Dirty Boy" could strike people the wrong way, but I really enjoy the song. Despite the length, it never gets tired ("that's what...")

Match L1.5:

Mando Diao - "Dance With Somebody" WINNER
"Dance With Somebody" has more authentic energy, in my opinion.

Match L1.6:

Shudder to Think featuring Jeff Buckley - "I Want Someone Badly" WINNER
Nirvana - "Do Re Mi"
Polar opposites in terms of production, but even based on song alone, Buckley's vocals push "I Want Someone..." over the top.

Match L1.7:

The Decemberists - "Record Year" WINNER
Two epic tunes- The Decemberists are way more to my taste. Great song.

Match L1.8:

M. Ward - "Rave On" WINNER
M. Ward has better self-written tunes, but this cover is both interesting and an enjoyable listen.

Thanks!

Match L1.1
Weakest match of the week. Early 60s simplicity vs. early 80s slickness. However, the innocent charm of The Shireles earns them my nod.
Shirelles win.

Match L1.2
Fine thrashy SFA song wins over the kinda unremarkable Jar Of Clay.
Super Furry Animals win.

Match L1.3
Decent track by Genesis gets beaten by the supercatchy Newsboys. Entertaining Angels should've passed the first round.
Newsboys win.

Match L1.4
Siouxie's Dazzle is OK, but the overwhelming Dirty Boy impresses more.
Cardiacs win.

Match L1.5
Dance With Somebody is the more solid song of this pair.
Mando Diao wins.

Match L1.6
The blue-eyed Soul of I Want Someone Badly wins over the sketchy Nirvana effort.
Shudder To Think /w J. Buckley wins.

Match L1.7
In the first round The Decemberists were up against my personal nomination, so of course I voted against them. The fact of the matter is that I like Record Year a lot. Best song of this week's matches.
Decemberists win.

Match L1.8
Both fine tracks, but in the end OK Go takes the lead. That video certainly contributed to it.
OK Go wins.

Vote: Shirelles

Both good but not great songs. The vocal performance of Baby It's You stands out just a little more.

Vote: Super Furry Animals

Worn Pun could probably use a lot more, and a lot less in it. More melody, less noise. But Liquid just doesn't really stand out from 90's post-grunge that much.

Vote: Newsboys

Enetertaining Angels I think is one of the best songs that lost in round one. Behind The Lines is...fine. This sort of prog isn't really my thing. It's just too...plush.

Vote: Siouxsie and the Banshees

Dirty Boy is way too grandiose for it's own good. Dazzle is a good pop song that's just a little overproduced.

Vote: Mando Diao

Just has a little more punch than The First Single.

Vote: Nirvana

These are two more of the best songs to lose in round one, and I must once more grudgingly vote against I Need Someone Badly. I wish later Nirvana songs had this sort of organic sound.

Vote: Alan Parsons Project

Record Year is like the average of all Decemberists songs. I didn't understand the reaction to this song in the first round. As you may remember I was certain it'd win. The piano is perfect for the melody, even if the lyrics are a little cliche.

Vote: M Ward

M Ward's songs always seem a little sedated to me, but he's very technically skilled, and it's enough to beat a song from a primarily video band. Though I kind of hope OK Go wins so I have another excuse to watch that video!

Match L1.1:

The Shirelles - "Baby It's You": This was one of the more memorable songs of the first round, but it again comes up just short. I still am not too crazy about 60s soul aside from a few exceptions, unfortunately!

Lindsey Buckingham - "Trouble": This was one of 10 songs in this game that I purchased after the first round, so it gets the vote! Catchy 80s sheen.

Match L1.2:

Super Furry Animals - "Happiness Is a Worn Pun": Raucous 90s rock earns a narrow victory in this matchup. I like it, but I don't love it enough to have purchased it. Maybe with time?

Jars of Clay - "Liquid": I think there is a lot to like about this song- it has some neat transitions and I like the strings quite a bit! I just don't care for the singer's voice.

Match L1.3:

Newsboys - "Entertaining Angels": Another Christian song let down by the vocals in my book. Still, both this and "Liquid" are much better than most contemporary Christian music that I hear.

Genesis - "Behind the Lines": This song is interesting to me still. I'm generally not a big fan of brass (or synth brass), but I was drawn in by the bass and shifts of the music.

Match L1.4:

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy": This sounds like the hugest song of all time! I like it more than a few other winners this week, but it's going up against the unassailable "Dazzle".

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle": I hope this music accompanies me to Heaven when I die, if I make it to Heaven! The strings, Siouxsie's voice, the soaring melody and the decidedly danceable rhythm are perfection to me.

I'll vote on the others once I can listen to them again.

Match L1.1 Winner - Lindsay Buckingham, "Trouble"
Usually, I'd be inclined toward early 60's girl group pop then early 80's pre-AOR pop/rock. And I even voted for the Shirelles and against Buckingham last round. But, the Shirelles song is not as good as their other hits. And there is something catchy about "Trouble," even if it could be a bit shorter.

Match L1.2 Winner - Super Furry Animals, "Happiness Is A Worn Pun"
What I love so much about SFA is they are a versatile band, easily shifting moods and genres, and that I enjoy them equally when they do beautiful, precisely produced harmonies and, as here, balls to the wall rave-ups. It is well-worth checking out some of the other Rings Around the World outtakes, like "Tradewinds" and "The Roman Road." On "Liquid," the lead singer still feels weak to me.

Match L1.3 Winner - Newsboys, "Entertaining Angels"
That catchy sing-a-long chorus has stuck with in the two months since I last almost voted for it. It puts Newsboys above this Genesis track (whose synth intro I did not care for and which had too loose of a song structure).

Match L1.4 Winner - Siouxsie and the Banshees, "Dazzle"
I voted for both of these last time out, with some reservations, but not a small amount of admiration for both tracks. "Dazzle" wins out for the feel and sound of the instrumentation and production more than the vocals. "Dirty Boy" is all a bit too much. It's unrelenting, and sure could use some dynamics. But boy is it chock full of musical ideas.

Match L1.5 Winner - Mando Diao, "Dance With Somebody"
I do like the harmonies on "The First Single," and it's a fine (albeit slightly generic) pop song. I prefer the groove and the cool in "Dance With Somebody."

Match L1.6 Winner - Shudder to Think w/ Jeff Buckley, "I Want Somebody Badly"
My second entry of the week easily beats a far too rough demo from Cobain. Hearing how poor his voice is here makes me appreciate his performance on Unplugged all the more.

Match L1.7 Winner - The Decemberists, "Record Year"
I don't care for the Alan Parsons song. The Decemberists deliver a moving song with a great arrangement. No contest for me.

Match L1.8 Winner - M. Ward, "Rave On"
While I still think it is a misguided cover -- where's the raving? -- there is lots of musicality. The OK Go song is not among their best, and I found it kind of boring.

Match L1.1
Winner: The Shirelles, "Baby It's You"
Much more memorable than "Trouble," although this isn't the best version of "Baby It's You."

Match L1.2
Winner: Jars of Clay, "Liquid"
My second-favourite song in this game.

Match L1.3
Winner: Newsboys, "Entertaining Angels"
My nominated song in the game.

Match L1.4
Winner: Siouxsie and the Banshees, "Dazzle"
"Dirty Boy" was by far my least favourite entry in the game thus far

Match L1.5
Winner: Mando Diao, "Dance with Somebody"
One of the hardest choices this round. I feel bad for the Format, because I quite liked that song. Great match-up.

Match L1.6
Winner: Shudder to Think feat. Jeff Buckley, "I Want Someone Badly"
Easily. This was a stand-out from the first round for me.

Match L1.7
Winner: Alan Parsons Project, "Old and Wise"
Even though this song doesn't compare to their classic "Eye in the Sky" (are these even the same group?), the Decemberists track doesn't do much for me.

Match L.18
Winner: OK Go, "This Too Shall Pass"
As a Buddy Holly fan, I am impressed. They managed to make a very unique tribute. Although this will always be a Holly song to me, they made it something of their own. But my vote goes to OK Go. Another great match-up.

Daniel
Match L1.7
Even though this song doesn't compare to their classic "Eye in the Sky" (are these even the same group?), the Decemberists track doesn't do much for me.
Both songs are even on the same album.

Stephan
Daniel
Match L1.7
Both songs are even on the same album.

I just realized that "Eye in the Sky" isn't anywhere to be seen on Acclaimed Music. Makes me wonder how the song would have fared in this competition.

Any thoughts?

Match L1.1:

Both of these songs had really strong competition in the first round, but in this competition The Shirelles quite easily win.

Match L1.2:
Jars of Clay - "Liquid"

Both songs I described as 'okay' in the first round, but I'm not a big fan of overtly Christian lyrics so the choice is quite simple.

Match L1.3:

I picked Genesis in the first round, and I'm going to do the same here, Behind The Lines is enjoyable whereas Entertaining Angels isn't really.

Match L1.4:
Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy"

Choices seem to be much easier in the losers bracket, Dazzle is much more fun than Dirty Boy.

Match L1.5:

Both fun songs but the infectiousness of Dance With Somebody takes the crown.

Match L1.6:
Nirvana - "Do Re Mi"

I really had to force myself to listen to Do Re Mi again; I'd probably rather listen to some Limp Bizkit.

Match L1.7:

Too bad the fantastic Record Year had to come out against my favorite song in the entire tournament, it could have won almost all of the other brackets but here it loses.

Match L1.8:
M. Ward - "Rave On"

The closest bracket of the bunch, I really had a hard time making my choice here. M. Ward wins by a very small margin, with OK Go taking the consolation prize for best video of the competition.

I personally prefer "Old and Wise" (obviously, since I nominated this one) but I really like Eye In The Sky too. Hard to say if it would've done any better or worse, but it's a shame the songs were eligible in the first place.

"Trouble" over "Baby It's You"

Girl-group pop needs to have a really catchy chorus to work for me, and that Shirelles song does not. "Trouble" made for another pretty good listen this time around.

"Happiness is a Worn Pun" over "Liquid"

I don't even need to listen to these again to make my choice. How did SFA lose in the first round?

"Entertaining Angels" over "Behind the Lines"

I probably won't listen to either of these two songs again, but "Entertaining Angels" was at least inoffensive.

"Dazzle" over "Dirty Boy"

"Dazzle" was a lot better the second time around. "Dirty Boy" has way too much going on.

"Dance With Somebody" over "The First Single"

I didn't hear either of these two songs the first time around, but I can't say I was missing much.

"Do Re Mi" over "I Want Someone Badly"

Again, I'm not a big fan of either of these, but at least the Nirvana song wasn't beset by incredibly cliche lyrics like the other tune.

"Record Year" over "Old and Wise"

I wasn't really in the mood to hear either of these sad songs, but at least "Record Year" is strong melodically.

"This Too Shall Pass" over "Rave On"

This vote is based solely on the music video for the OK Go song. In terms of pure visuals, that might be the best music video I've ever seen.

Match L1.5:

The Format - "The First Single (You Know Me)": This has some decent melodies and is well-intentioned, but I'd rather listen to the Mando Diao song.

Mando Diao - "Dance With Somebody": It's definitely more in tune with my taste, and while not exceptional, this is a lot of fun.

Match L1.6:

Shudder to Think featuring Jeff Buckley - "I Want Someone Badly": I haven't been compelled to listen to this since the first round, and a second listen hasn't inspired much more curiosity.

Nirvana - "Do Re Mi": On the other hand, this demo does make me want to delve a little deeper into Nirvana, so it wins.

Match L1.7:

The Decemberists - "Record Year": As with Shudder to Think, I didn't feel compelled to listen to this one again. The Decemberists just don't quite do it for me, although I see that they have a lot of talent.

The Alan Parsons Project - "Old and Wise": It may be over the top, but so what? I'd rather have music that puts it all out there, and I appreciate the sentiment and execution of this song.

Match L1.8:

M. Ward - "Rave On": It's indeed a strange cover, but that's part of its charm. Buddy Holly's version is so perfect for its kind that any attempt to cover it would have to dramatically change it up to succeed.

OK Go - "This Too Shall Pass": I can see the appeal of "A Million Ways", but this one still leaves me cold.

L1.1 The Shirelles

This is was no contest. My vote in the first round.

L1.2 Super Furry Animals

Beats Jar Clays.

L1.3 Genesis

By a coin toss by my opinion.

L1.4 Souxsie and the banshees

I have a soft spot for Souxie.

L1.5 Mando Diao

This song is very catchy.

L1.6 ... Jeff Buckley

An other close game in which i am quite in different.

L1.7 The Decemberist

My Nomination!

L1.8 M Ward.

A beautiful song.

I'll keep it short and sweet:

The Shirelles - Baby It's You: Emotion beats Buckingham

Super Furry Animals - Happiness Is a Worn Pun: Thunder beats amiable

Newsboys - Entertaining Angels: Anything beats Genesis

Cardiacs - Dirty Boy: Possessed beats pretty good

Mando Diao - Dance with Somebody: Winning hook beats impressive songwriting

Shudder to Think - I Want Someone Badly (how did this lose in the first round?!): Voice beats grunge chords

The Decembrists - Record Year: Moving beats not quite

M. Ward - Rave On: Song beats video

Voting for this week is now over!

Here are your results for Weeks 9 and 10!

Match L1.1:

The Shirelles - "Baby It's You": 10
Lindsey Buckingham - "Trouble": 4

The Shirelles took an early lead and never looked back. "Trouble" managed to make it close in the middle, but "Baby It's You" storms on into the next round.

Match L1.2:

Super Furry Animals - "Happiness Is a Worn Pun": 11
Jars of Clay - "Liquid": 3

Jars of Clay got 2 of the first 3 votes, but it was false hope- Super Furry Animals took 10 of the final 11 votes to coast to an easy win.

Match L1.3:

Newsboys - "Entertaining Angels": 7
Genesis - "Behind the Lines": 6

This went back and forth the whole way, and when the dust settled, Newsboys escaped with a 1-point win.

Match L1.4:

Cardiacs - "Dirty Boy": 4
Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Dazzle": 10

This match also looked to be a close battle at the beginning, with the two songs splitting the first 6 votes, but Siouxsie got greedy thereafter and took 7 of the final 8 votes to cruise into the next round.

Match L1.5:

The Format - "The First Single (You Know Me)": 0
Mando Diao - "Dance With Somebody": 14

The score says it all, really.

Match L1.6:

Shudder to Think featuring Jeff Buckley - "I Want Someone Badly": 11
Nirvana - "Do Re Mi": 3

As with the predecing match, this one was never in doubt. Nirvana managed to earn 3 votes to avoid a complete washout, but Shudder to think and Jeff Buckley race into the next round with momentum.

Match L1.7:

The Decemberists - "Record Year": 8
The Alan Parsons Project - "Old and Wise": 6

Unlike the previous 2 matches, this one was a nail-biter. The slate was 6-6 before the final 2 votes sent The Decemberists into the next round.

Match L1.8:

M. Ward - "Rave On": 9
OK Go - "This Too Shall Pass": 5

Another relatively close match, OK Go took the first 2 votes, but M. Ward slowly but steadily took control to advance.

The winners advance to bracket L2, while the losers sadly exit the game at this point.

Up-to-date brackets are available here.

MB, are the winners of round 2 going to go into the loser bracket in the same order that they appear in the winner bracket?

Because in that case, a lot of songs are going to end up against the exact same songs they faced in the first round.

BillAdama
MB, are the winners of round 2 going to go into the loser bracket in the same order that they appear in the winner bracket?

Because in that case, a lot of songs are going to end up against the exact same songs they faced in the first round.

I've thought of the same thing, and what I'm thinking of doing is rotating the losers of bracket W1 by 1/4 to avoid rematches.

So as an example, if the order of the losers of W1 is 1-16, I'd put songs 1-12 in slots 5-16, and songs 13-16 in slots 1-4.

And then again for the 8 losers of bracket W2, I'd put songs 1-6 in slots 3-8, and songs 7-8 in slots 1-2. I think this would be the best plan to avoid rematches, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

I like your plan, but I might add the suggestion that you rotate by 1/4 more every round. That is, rotate by 1/2 for the losers of W2, rotate by 3/4 for the losers of W3, add the losers of W4 in natural order.

BillAdama
I like your plan, but I might add the suggestion that you rotate by 1/4 more every round. That is, rotate by 1/2 for the losers of W2, rotate by 3/4 for the losers of W3, add the losers of W4 in natural order.

Doh! That's what I meant, but I totally botched communicating it that way.

Ahh. Great plan then!

Aw. Old And Wise seems to be too divisive to win.

Stephan
Aw. Old And Wise seems to be too divisive to win.

I bought it!

Moonbeam
BillAdama

I've thought of the same thing, and what I'm thinking of doing is rotating the losers of bracket W1 by 1/4 to avoid rematches.

So as an example, if the order of the losers of W1 is 1-16, I'd put songs 1-12 in slots 5-16, and songs 13-16 in slots 1-4.

And then again for the 8 losers of bracket W2, I'd put songs 1-6 in slots 3-8, and songs 7-8 in slots 1-2. I think this would be the best plan to avoid rematches, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

OK, I think I'm unclear now on how the winners in the Loser's bracket will be used. Are they going to go against the winners of the Winners Bracket?

My concern with this is that, theoretically, a song that lost in the initial round may go farther than the song that beat it, which doesn't really seem right.

Not sure how else to handle though...

sonofsamiam
Moonbeam
BillAdama

OK, I think I'm unclear now on how the winners in the Loser's bracket will be used. Are they going to go against the winners of the Winners Bracket?

My concern with this is that, theoretically, a song that lost in the initial round may go farther than the song that beat it, which doesn't really seem right.

Not sure how else to handle though...

It's a tough call to decide how to handle it. I felt that avoiding a lot of rematches was more valuable than the issue you raise, which is a legitimate one. Plus, I'm sure there would be a few instances where 3 songs bring up contradictory relations, e.g. A > B, B > C, C > A. I do have a special little bonus that will be revealed once all songs have been in at least 2 matches.

I don't think that's a problem. I think that's the point of having double elimination rather than a pure single elimination draw. Maybe people don't get a song at first, then they listen to it again and realize what they missed. Or maybe the game just picks up more participants as the draw gets closer to the end, and the new participants like something the original participants didn't. I don't see this as a drawback.

And remember that after the first round, the loser bracket will have two matches for every one match of the winner bracket. So the early losers are still at a major disadvantage.