Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Project 3000: And then there were three

Even as I await the update, I'm still keeping an eye out for my missing four ... which as of today are now three, as a CD of Francesco Guccini's RADICI arrived this morning. So, the three from the soon-to-be-no-longer-current top 3000 which continue to elude me are Smokey Robinson's WARM THOUGHTS, Marquis de Sade's RUE DE SIAM, and CONCERTO POUR DETRAQUES by Berurier Noir.

As I've said previously, I've been doing a good job of keeping up with potential new entries from the EOD list, and of course I'm pretty sure I own every 2009 album that might enter the top 3000. So I don't expect my number of missing entries to get much higher when the update arrives.

Re: Project 3000: And then there were three

Hi Harold,

I have noticed on Amazon.com that Smokey Robinson's solo albums have been getting re-released, 2 at a time.

Vol. 1: Smokey & Pure Smokey (Sept. 7, 2010)
Vol. 2: A Quiet Storm & Smokey's Family Robinson (Nov. 2, 2010)
Vol. 3: Deep in My Soul & Big Time (Nov. 2, 2010)

By the looks of it, Warm Thoughts should appear on a Volume 5, if they get around to releasing them all

Daniel
Hi Harold,

I have noticed on Amazon.com that Smokey Robinson's solo albums have been getting re-released, 2 at a time...
By the looks of it, Warm Thoughts should appear on a Volume 5, if they get around to releasing them all

Oh, man. Thanks for letting me know!

Concerto Pour Detraques seems to be available on CD at discogs.com. Not very cheap though, but not insanely expensive either.

Harold, of all the really obscure albums that were really tough to find a copy of, which ones are the best in your opinion? Or worst?

Alex D
Harold, of all the really obscure albums that were really tough to find a copy of, which ones are the best in your opinion? Or worst?

Of the really difficult-to-find ones, I'd say the best is probably Elliott Murphy's AQUASHOW (1973) - out of all the countless "new Dylans" of the late Sixties and early Seventies, Murphy probably came the closest to actually deserving the title.

Worst? I don't know, it's so subjective (of course, so is best). I would never buy something like Fingers Inc. under everyday circumstances, but when I finally, finally landed a copy of ANOTHER SIDE I was unreasonably happy. And I've listened to it once.

Stephan
Concerto Pour Detraques seems to be available on CD at discogs.com. Not very cheap though, but not insanely expensive either.

A million thanks for the tip - I just created an account and ordered it. I'll keep my eye out for RUE DE SIAM as well.

Hello ! Good luck with RUE DE SIAM. I have been looking for it for a while now and I can't manage to find it. I believe it's been made available on CD but I'm not sure there are much out there : Post-punk, especially French, have been selling poorly here and I guess that if they are still available somewhere, that's for their critical acclaim and relationships with more high-profile artists like Etienne Daho. So do not hope to get your hands on it very soon, unless you are extremely lucky.

They do have the Rue de Siam LP available there, but not the CD. There are 8 guys on discogs claiming to have it though, maybe there's an option to send them a private message and ask if they'd be willing to part with it.

Harold,

What are some of your favourite albums that you wish were in the top 3000? (both bubbling under & not bubbling under)

I think it's pretty neat having someone here that has listened to 99.9% of the albums on AM...I feel it gives the collaborative forum lists a lot of merit :)

Hope Vol. 5 comes out! :D When I saw the other releases on Amazon, I instantly thought of Project 3000

How long has the 'project' taken?
ie. How long since you bought your first album that appears on the AM3000?

Apologies, but did I get this straight, the complete 3000? Really?? wolz... Oh, white man, you!

W
How long has the 'project' taken?
ie. How long since you bought your first album that appears on the AM3000?

Well, I got my first CD player 12 years ago (yes, I was a latecomer, as I am to most things), so it's taken 12 years. Of course, I was buying acclaimed albums for two years before there was an Acclaimed list, so I had a head start. I didn't fully make the commitment to go for the whole top 3000 until sometime around summer 2008.

Hi Harold, I'm new to the forum, but not to AM, I've used the lists for a few years now (its the best listing I have seen).

Your quest for the 3000 is awesome I have just under half myself but not even the top10! Never mind the bollocks has never appealed, there is so much better UK punk from the time (and I was there)...

Anyway, I notice that there is a copy of marquis de sade's rue de siam on ebay france right now, on CD

not at all cheap, sadly

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200506531498

cheers
John

I'm sure you'll beat the clock on the update Harold!

Harold,

I never heard back from you after I got back home this past August. Are you still interested in the bubblers that I picked up? My email address is at the bottom of that thread.

Matt

Matt Schroeder
Harold,
I never heard back from you after I got back home this past August. Are you still interested in the bubblers that I picked up? My email address is at the bottom of that thread.
Matt

Sorry - I totally forgot to follow up on this. I'll e-mail you sometime over the weekend, because there's a couple on that list that I'm still interested in. Thanks for the reminder!