Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1900-1949 recommendations

nicolas
To Henrik : I'll come up with a list of classical music soon, but you can look into my Spotify list every now and then, because I'm feeding it with classical (and thanks for subscribing)
Some great classical picks there nicolas, but I'm afraid that the best two (IMO) are not from 1900-49, namely Shostakovich's "Waltz 2" (1956) and Fauré's "Pavane Op. 50" (1887).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suite_for_Jazz_Orchestra_No._2_%28Shostakovich%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suite_for_Variety_Orchestra_%28Shostakovich%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Gabriel_Faur%C3%A9

If this makes me look like a classical besser-wisser or expert, I'm certainly not (at least not the latter...)

Damn it

Dylan was right

No one can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.
And I bet Robert Plant and Jimmie Page knew this song
very well because it justs sounds like it's out of "Led Zeppelin IV".

He was from Georgia, played a 12-string guitar.

Re: 1900-1949 Recommendations

Henrik
It's great that we allow classical music. I will at least include the following:

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings, Op.11
Carl Orff – Carmina Burana: O Fortuna
Joaquín Rodrigo - Concierto De Aranjuez
Sergei Prokofjev – Romeo And Juliet, Op. 64: Montagues And Capulets
Maurice Ravel – Bolero
Remo Giazotto (Tomaso Albinoni) – Adagio In G Minor
George Gershwin – Rhapsody in Blue

Please recommend me more!

Hi Henrik, another obvious choice is Igor Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps (1911), which was more or less his signature composition.
Not so much classical, but also of interest may be Kurt Schwitters. He was a principal member of DaDa, the influential absurdist art movement which was founded in 1916, in the Swiss cafe Cabaret Voltaire. Schwitters was known for his paintings and collages, but his most famous piece was an oral piece called Ursonate. He actually recorded the whole thing himself in 1921, but unfortunately nothing of it is available on you tube. What I got is an interpretation of the Ursonate by Dutch performance artist Jaap Blonk, and, like in the best DaDa tradition, it sounds pretty kooky. here (My 5-year old son loves this clip. Could it be that it reminds him of his father, after a good night out? :).
Apart from the Modern Classical, Blues and Calypso recommendations which can be found in this thread, the most popular and dominant music form from the 20s till the late 40s was Jazz. Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gillespie etc. and of course Duke Ellington, IMO the greatest of them all. Ellington was no.3 in my all-time artists list, just behind The Beatles and James Brown.
Oh yes, finally, I'm not a besser-wisser or expert on it as well, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Debussy's Clair De Lune is from 1890.

yes, Le Sacre is beautiful. Here's the beginning :

To make a complete list of the best music from 1900-1949, you must not forget that the king of romantic opera, Giacomo Puccini, premiered three of his greatest operas after 1900.

"Vissi d'Arte" - Tosca (January 1900)
(Maria Callas)

"Un bel di Vedremo" - Madame Butterfly ( February 1904)
(Renata Trebaldi)

"Signore ascolta!; " - Turandot ( April 1926)
(Renata Trebaldi, Jussi Björling)

"Nessun Dorma" Turandot ( April 1926)
(Jussi Björling, 1944)

The first clip from Turandot is the best 7.5 minutes of music ever!

Mindrocker

Oh yes, finally, I'm not a besser-wisser or expert on it as well, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Debussy's Clair De Lune is from 1890.

This one is up for debate...Suite Bergmamesque was first written in 1890, but revamped greatly in 1905, with Clair de Lune being renamed and scored to the way we know it today. This said, I think it belongs.

Also, I'm gonna have to vote for Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht, even though it's technically written in 1899, I'm pretty sure it wasn't performed until the 20th century.

Hello, just some Charles Trenet recomandation.

La Mer

Que reste-t'il de nos amours ?

Y'a dl'a joie !

Boum

Douce France

Le jardin extraordinaire

Je Chante

Now the great Louis Jordan. Rock'n'roll 10 years before

Louis Jordan - Choo Choo Ch��Boogie
envoyé par CASVI_Factory. - Clip, interview et concert.

nicolas
the French national anthem according to Django Reihnardt and Stéphane Grapelli. It is 1946 and France is now a free country.
all this optimism shows in this tune.

Great song!!! Thanks!

Romain
Hello, just some Charles Trenet recomandation.

Trénet was the main figure in French music between 1935 and 1950. I've never been a huge fan personally, although Brassens and a lot of other singers praised him.

Just one thing : Le Jardin extraordinaire is not eligible because it's from 1957.

Let's not forget country music. Here's a blugrass anthem. I love this version, recorded in 1954, just after Elvis did his own. Old Bill beats him hands down.

And here is a better version of Choo Choo'Ch boogie, which will be in my top 10 for sure.

And now, Hank with another pre-rock'n'roll standard
It's almost the melody of Rock around the clock

Choo Choo Ch' Boogie + Move It On Over = rock'n'roll

Today's pick is en français

My favorite Piaf song, first recorded in the40s, here a 1955 live version. Tragic story of a prostitute who's in love with an accordeon player.

Roy Acuff is one of my favorite pre-1950 country artists. He was the one who did the transition between hilbilly and honky tonk, between Appalachian folk and Hank.

PS : hope I don't bother you with my daily posts, and hope I don't discourage you from posting your own suggestions

Jimmie Rodgers "Gambling Bar Room Blues" (1932)

Here's a little masterpiece by Jimmie Rodgers, the first country music star.
His most acclaimed pieces are the excellent Blue yodels, but this lesser-known great ballad is my favorite.

Bascom Lamar Lunsford - I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground (1928)

The pre-history of country music is fascinating, especially those folk songs from the Appalaches. Fans of The Tallest Man On Earth will recognize a few verses.
Bascom Lamar Lunsford was a lawyer from North Carolina who collected and performed many songs.

Count Basie - Jumpin' At The Woodside (1937)

Some jazz now with one of the greatest bandleaders of the era

Carlos Gardel - Mano A Mano (1927)

A great recommendation by Honorio that I second. One of the greatest, if not the greatest of tango singers.

Re: Carlos Gardel - Mano A Mano (1927)

Thanks, Nicolas, glad you liked it. Gardel is a mythical name in Argentina tango and he recorded hundreds of great songs (excellently represented on Miguel’s list). This is the You Tube link:

And here’s a link to a page with the English translation.

John Lee Hooker

I posted the wrong video and didn't even noticed !
Coleman Hawkins was my first choice yeserday and then I thought of Gardel. So you had both of them and that's cool.

Today's pick is John Lee Hooker, one of the very greatest bluesmen. I wanted to post "Boogie Chillen", but I didn't find the 1948 version on Youtube, the one with just JLH and his guitar. So I posted the sequel to Boogie Chillen, when you can hear this haunting rhythmic playing on the guitar. It is blues at its rawest, the closest to its African roots : one chord and a half, and this foot tappping on the floor.

Sam McGee - Railroad Blues (1928)

Here's another song that will be in my top 30.
A great example of hillbilly blues, eg blues played by the white folks in the South. Jimmie Rodgers was the most famous of them, but Sam McGee was a great guitarist that played like a real bluesman.

Django Reinhardt - Limehouse Blues (1936)

Another song of him that I love. I have a better, slower version from my father's collection, but I couldn't find it on video.

How can i have forgotten this ?

Lonnie Johnson & Eddie Lang : Guitar Blues (1929)

Lonnie J was the first guitar hero of the blues era, and he influenced a lot of guitar players in the thirties. Robert Johnson took his name and pretender he was his brother. But the man himself was more of than a bluesman. He played with Louis Armstrong, and did these wonderful duets with guitarist Ediie lang.

Patsy Montana "Cowboy's sweetheart" (1935)

And now the queen of couintry yodelling. Delicious song

Erik Satie - Je Te Veux (1904)

Erik Satie was one of the first minimalists, a great influence for people like Philipp Glass.
here's "Je te veux" a waltz that he wrote for the cabaret when he needed money.
I love music in 3/4

Sidney Bechet - I've Found A New Baby (1932)

Duke Ellington - Caravan (1936)

This is the last one (this here version is from 1952)

Bye Bye

It was great to post these songs, even if I didn't get comments. Now i promise i won't come back and Kanye west can stay on top of the forum page.

Re: Bye Bye

The appreciative comments are in the lists of the actual 1900-1949 forum poll, Nicolas. If you take a look at them, you'll notice that many participants picked titles from your recommendations and included them in their lists.
By the way, we're still eagerly awaiting yours.

Re: Bye Bye

... in a few minutes