The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Acclaimed Music meets Rate Your Music

Have a look at these albums that are just above or below Sign 'O' the Times at RYM.

245 Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Avg rating: 4.07 | Ratings: 2,852

246 Yes - Fragile
Avg rating: 4.05 | Ratings: 4,057

261 Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Avg rating: 3.98 | Ratings: 6,082

263 Prince - Sign "☮" the Times
Avg rating: 4.09 | Ratings: 2,333

269 Patti Smith - Horses
Avg rating: 4.03 | Ratings: 3,824

Of all these albums, Sign 'O' the Times has the highest average rating, but is loses against most of the others because of fewer ratings. Isn't that strange? I would find it much more understandable if Prince had a lot of votes but was voted down because prog and metal fans think he is too much pop. I thought that only people who like Minutemen and Patti Smith listen to them, while a lot more people would vote both for and against Prince.

I think you misunderstood that comment nj.

I mean, any time you walk into a grocery store, a restaurant, a department store, or turn on a variety show, you're immediately subjected to crappy music that was influenced by Madonna. It's just not avoidable. You're going to hear it whether you like it or not.

Whereas, you don't ever have to hear crappy stuff influenced by Metallica if you don't want to, unless you've got a roommate who plays it or something.

Henrik

Of all these albums, Sign 'O' the Times has the highest average rating, but is loses against most of the others because of fewer ratings. Isn't that strange? I would find it much more understandable if Prince had a lot of votes but was voted down because prog and metal fans think he is too much pop. I thought that only people who like Minutemen and Patti Smith listen to them, while a lot more people would vote both for and against Prince.

This thread on RYM addresses this issue. While Prince would be more popular than the Minutemen on virtually every other site, RYM's audience of young white males who are obsessed with music (of which I am one) is more likely to ignore him. And for the record, I have listened to Horses and Double Nickels on the Dime but not Sign O the Times.

Henry
Moonbeam

Clearly, Pink Floyd have released 3 albums better than anything by Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, and Prince. Led Zeppelin too!

And you're trying to tell me that RYM isn't overrun by pock-marked 15-year-old, white, angry teens?

I wonder why you think that 15 year old angry teens are the folks who like Pink Floyd.

Maybe "angry" isn't all that appropriate for the Pink Floyd reference, but the ones who listened to Pink Floyd when I was a teen tended to be those who were generally unhappy.

Bill...

I hope that comment was more negative toward the Madonna wanna-bes and not Madonna herself. I do agree that the wanna-bes do not have the goods that she does.

I had not checked out Rate Your Music- I did so a couple of days ago and started ratings stuff.

Re: Bill...

JR
I hope that comment was more negative toward the Madonna wanna-bes and not Madonna herself. I do agree that the wanna-bes do not have the goods that she does.

I had not checked out Rate Your Music- I did so a couple of days ago and started ratings stuff.

Yes, it's negative toward mass produced hypersexual girl dance-pop. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, those sorts. I like Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light, and several of Madonna's singles a lot.

JR

What's your username there?

HolidayG1- I have not entered every title that I own as of yet. :)

I must admit, I am a big compilations guy. I do have studio albums and such for some acts, but I probably have more compilations than regular albums.

JR
HolidayG1- I have not entered every title that I own as of yet. :)

I must admit, I am a big compilations guy. I do have studio albums and such for some acts, but I probably have more compilations than regular albums.

I am the same way, JR.

If I go out to buy a CD of an artist, I will usually always start off with a greatest hits/best of album, unless there are no decent compilations available. If I find I really enjoy their "best" songs, I'll move into their most acclaimed albums. I started off with the Beatles' Red and Blue albums ('62-'66 and '67-'70), and have since purchased all of their albums.

I also keep my eyes open for acclaimed albums at second-hand stores (I have obtained copies of Pet Sounds, Bjork's Debut, and Cat Power's The Greatest for $1 to $4)