The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unacclaimed Week 5

Ah well, you snooze you lose. Nonetheless...

Match 17:

Ten Years After- "I'd Love to Change the World"

I know to someone a grainy bootleg of Liz Phair is bliss but it wasn't a great song... and I have listened to Exile in Guyville so I kinda know what to compare it to.

Ten Years After seems like that ubiquitous song that has too many classic songs in a similar style that just sound a little bit better... hence their success on acclaimed song lists and this one gets cut. Time for its due.

Match 18:

UFO- "Rock Bottom"

Really tough since that French song sounded interesting. But a tight progressive metal song that's new to me and doesn't drag expands my appreciate for that genre beyond my familiarity with Machine Ahead and similar records... so it wins by a tiny bit.

Match 19:

Wendy Rene- "After Laughter"

Ah... a song sampled by Wu-Tang (or was that from another version?). Not the most memorable song from that era, but compared to Lupe Fiasco's so-so song, it wins.

Match 20:

The Walker Brothers- "The Electrician"

I like the Godfather but the theme music doesn't stand alone, IMO, as a song that can be compared to musical invention. Walker Brothers by a bunch.

Here are your results!

Match 17:

Liz Phair - "What Makes You a Slave": 9
Ten Years After - "I'd Love to Change the World": 8

This went back and forth all week, with neither song having more than a 2-point lead at any point. It ended regulation time with a tie, but the tiebreaker won it for Liz Phair.

Match 18:

M (Mathieu Chedid) - "Je dis aime": 9
UFO - "Rock Bottom": 8

Another super-close matchup that was neck and neck all week, this likewise ended in a tie, but the tiebreaker gave "Je dis aime" a narrow win.

Match 19:

Lupe Fiasco - "Hip-Hop Saved My Life": 5
Wendy Rene - "After Laughter": 12

This one stayed close to start, and once was locked at a 3-3 tie, but Wendy Rene ran away with 9 of the final 11 votes to win it.

Match 20:

Nino Rota - "The Godfather Waltz": 7
The Walker Brothers - "The Electrician": 10

In yet another close match, the tally was tied at 6 apiece until The Walker Brothers claimed 4 of the last 5 votes to eke out a win.

Close matches this week!

The winners advance to the Winners Bracket 1 (W1), while the losers can take heart in the fact that they are not out of the game yet, and move to Losers Bracket 1 (L1).

Up-to-date brackets are available here.

A very surprising results week for me.

I can't believe Ten Years After didn't win! Before the whole game started, I predicted "I'd Love to Change the World" would win the whole competition!

I figured this would beat Liz Phair's song in landslide.

Also surprised to see how not just one, but two of the matchups this week were decided by a single vote!

This game just got quite interesting/unpredictable!

Just out of curiosity, were all of the votes that were submitted counted? If not, whose ballots were excluded from the tally?

Yeah I thought Ten Years After and The Walker Brothers would both hammer their opposition,and last week Old And Wise losing was a huge surprise...

Daniel
A very surprising results week for me.

I can't believe Ten Years After didn't win! Before the whole game started, I predicted "I'd Love to Change the World" would win the whole competition!

I figured this would beat Liz Phair's song in landslide.

Also surprised to see how not just one, but two of the matchups this week were decided by a single vote!

This game just got quite interesting/unpredictable!

Just out of curiosity, were all of the votes that were submitted counted? If not, whose ballots were excluded from the tally?

The deadline was at 11:59 PM, so Henrik's served as the tiebreaker. Therefore, unfortunately, Jonah's vote didn't count.

And yes, the results are so unpredictable- I love it!

Moonbeam
The deadline was at 11:59 PM, so Henrik's served as the tiebreaker. Therefore, unfortunately, Jonah's vote didn't count.
My votes in the first two matchups were really close, so it feels a little stupid that they had so much impact.

Henrik
Moonbeam
My votes in the first two matchups were really close, so it feels a little stupid that they had so much impact.

Your vote had as much impact as everyone else's who counted- it was just the last one counted! In reality, most of the brackets this week were quite close, so I imagine you're not alone in feeling as if your picks weren't immediately obvious.

I can't believe my pick won it. I'm very happy but we all know that the important thing is to be introduced to new songs, not win. I' actually more thankful for the comments that the pick received and to know the others liked it than win. I was the tie breaker in week 4 so i kinda know how this week's is feeling like.

I didn't have time to vote this week, but I totally would have gone for "Rock Bottom" and "I'd Love to Change the World," both of which are in my top 200.

Are the songs out of the competition once they lost a single matchup, or do they have to lose more than once?

Daniel
Are the songs out of the competition once they lost a single matchup, or do they have to lose more than once?

It's a double-elimination tournament! The songs that lose here still have at least one more round to go. I thought this was the only fair way to conduct such a tournament, as there is no real way to seed the songs.

I'm just really happy so many people discovered "The Electrician".

Please note, as Mindrocker alluded, that loving this song will not necessarily mean you like the more famous, '60s-era Walker Brothers. There is much more similarity to solo Scott Walker.

Moonbeam, since you seemed especially enthused, may I suggest the following tracks:

The Seventh Seal (from Scott 4, where Walker finally went left-field wholesale, and yes, the song alludes directly to the movie)

The Old Man's Back Again (Dedicated to the Neo-Stalinist Regime) (another great one from Scott 4, with fantastic bass)

Sleepwalkers Woman (Scott in the '80s, not sonically dissimilar to "The Electrician")

Farmer In The City (Spooky '90s Scott, if anyone thought the other stuff sounded vampiric, well here you go)

Big Louise (great weepy track from the wonderful Scott 3)

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore (my favorite of the British Invasion-era Walker Brothers, very weepy, very Wall of Sound, and a big hit in the UK)