Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unacclaimed Week 4

Match 13:

The Decemberists- "Record Year"

Tough call... I get tired of Meloy's voice upon repeated listens like a lot of people, but the song itself isn't that bad. And Hilly Fields was a pretty good listen to, but not quite distinctive for me.

Match 14:

The White Stripes- "The Big Three Killed My Baby"

This song has everything that makes the White Stripes so great. And since I love hearing the White Stripes doing what they do, they win out.

Match 15:

Stereolab- "French Disko"

Finally got a chance to listen to Mars Audiac Quintet and Emperor Tomato Ketchup this past year and love hearing their unique soundscape in all forms, including this song.

Match 16:

Prince- "Crystal Ball"

Wow, I remember mentioning hearing elements of Frank Zappa weirdness (albeit with an R+B flavor) on some earlier Prince tracks, but this goes for epic experimentation while remaining distinctively Prince. If enough post-Sign of the Times Prince is like this, I'll be very interested in hearing more.

OK Go have to stop making incredible videos. Their songs are really good but they can't match up with the images. Maybe something more minimalist is in order... oh wait...

Probably yes , I'll begin now.

Nick Nicely - Hilly Fields : I liked both songs, but Hilly Fields' strangeness gives it the edge
The White Stripes - The Big Three Killed My Baby : this game is much easier when you like once song and are bored by the other !
Stereolab - French Disko : it's my pick, so I guess that's no surprise that I really love it
OK Go - This too Shall Pass : I would probably have voted for Crystal Ball if it was 5 minutes shorter, but here it is unnecessarily long, while OK Go, while not being a great band, is often undeservedly bashed.

Match 13:

Nick Nicely- "Hilly Fields": I agree it's the Strawberry Fields of the new wave era. What means it is excellent.
The Decemberists- "Record Year": Good ballad, but not mind-blowing as the former.

Winner: Nick Nicely- "Hilly Fields"

Match 14:

The Alan Parsons Project- "Old and Wise": Very good ballad. Reminds a bit of the Fleet Foxes...
The White Stripes- "The Big Three Killed My Baby": At a unique listen it sounded awesome!

Winner: The White Stripes- "The Big Three Killed My Baby"

Match 15:

M. Ward- "Rave On": Of course I'll vote for my own choice. Maybe I didn't mind put a cover here in the likes of what Henrik said because I've never heard the original version, so it sounds quite original for me. One of my favorite love songs. And yes, Moonbeam, the vocal harmonies are the best part!
Stereolab- "French Disko": I didn't know stereolab sounded guitar oriented like this. I always had imagined their sound more spacey and experimental. I had looked for Emperor Tomato Ketchup in the past, but didn't find it. I think I should look for it again, specially given that Damon Albarn loves Stereolab.

Winner: M. Ward- "Rave On"

Match 16:

Prince- "Crystal Ball": I'll assume I prefer a lot of other Prince's songs more than it.
OK Go- "This Too Shall Pass": Nice track, and specially great video.

Winner: OK Go- "This Too Shall Pass"

Voting for this week is now closed.

Here are the results!

Match 13:

Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields": 10
The Decemberists - "Record Year": 7

The closest match of the week saw the lead change hands a few times before "Hilly Fields" maintained a slim lead until the end.

Match 14:

The Alan Parsons Project - "Old and Wise": 4
The White Stripes - "The Big Three Killed My Baby": 13

In an odd turnaround, "Old and Wise" scored the first 3 votes and 4 of the first 6, before The White Stripes put the foot to the pedal to earn each of the last 11 votes.

Match 15:

M. Ward - "Rave On": 5
Stereolab - "French Disko": 12

Stereolab quickly established a comfortable lead and never let go, scoring an easy win.

Match 16:

Prince - "Crystal Ball": 13
OK Go - "This Too Shall Pass": 4

The week's biggest win goes to Prince, with "Crystal Ball" cruising to a 13-2 lead before OK Go got the last 2 votes to bring the final margin under double digits.

The winners advance to the Winners Bracket 1 (W1), while the losers can take heart in the fact that they are not out of the game yet, and move to Losers Bracket 1 (L1).

Up-to-date brackets are available here.

Oh, just thought I'd clear this up.

"Crystal Ball" is the title track of a collection of outtakes released in 1997/1998, but the song itself dates back to 1986. It was going to be the title track of a triple album, but Warner Brothers freaked out and made him reduce it to a double album which became Sign o' the Times.

Here's some more info for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Ball_%28unreleased_album%29

I can't believe my pick got through. We must have none of the same voters as bracketology.

BillAdama
I can't believe my pick got through. We must have none of the same voters as bracketology.

This game is so unpredictable, and I love it!

One thing that does concern me somewhat is the declining voter participation.

Week 1 and Week 2 both saw 28 voters.

Week 3 had 20, and this week only had 17 voters.

I hope this doesn't indicate a waning interest in the game before we even get through the first round.

Moonbeam
BillAdama

I hope this doesn't indicate a waning interest in the game before we even get through the first round.

Perhaps more people would vote if commenting was optional?
The reason I didn't vote this week was because I couldn't get around to writing my critiques.

Daniel
Moonbeam
BillAdama

The reason I didn't vote this week was because I couldn't get around to writing my critiques.

I went with comments because that's what the majority of people seemed to want. I don't think comments are a bad idea- they introduce discussion points, which is part of the reason I started this game! I may revisit the idea of not having comments in future rounds, but for now, I think they should stay. Besides, they don't have to be that long.

Moonbeam, don't worry, this game is, by far, the best game in Acclaimed music. I already discover two or three excellents songs I don't know.
I hope this game continue a very long time...I have so many songs to propose

Daniel
Moonbeam
BillAdama

Yeah, I ended up similarly constrained, and in addition I had trouble getting a copy of "Crystal Ball" to play, so while I listened to and evaluated 7 songs, I didn't finish a write up because I never heard the 8th. But my interest is not waning!