The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology, SEMIFINAL 2

SEMIFINAL 2

Here is this week's bracket. Remember, you can also view the bracket on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

#37. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder
#44. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution
#84. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast

REMINDER: You must comment on ALL the songs in order for your ballot to count.

Re: Bracketology, SEMIFINAL 2

1/ Outkast - B.O.B.
This means everything to me. It's just the bomb (pun very much intended). An amalgamation of sounds, by one of the best artists of any genre or era - it's just breathtaking, in scope and delivery.

2/ Stevie Wonder - Superstition
Not actually my favourite track from the man like Stevie (that accolade would go to Another Star or As) but good goddamn, if this isn't funky as fuck. A masterclass.

3/ Prince - When Doves Cry
A close call between this and Jimi but hey, it's a cracking track.

4/ Jimi - All Along The Watchtower
Unlucky to be in fourth as it's a strong showing but it's crunch time and I don't find myself seeking out the Experience as much as I would others.

3 of the 4 are top 100!
#84. "All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix (I love this song, it's just outside my top 10.)
#37. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder (Another great song, that guitar lick is classic.)
#44. "When Doves Cry" - Prince (Tough third, but does it really deserve a spot in the final 4?)
#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast (This song's been running on luck for too long now.)

Semi-killer bracket -

1. Outkast - B.O.B.
I bow down to this song every evening, it is absolutely stunning. From the choir to that manic beat, it almost doesn't sound like rap, it transcends every genre there is.
2. Stevie - Superstition
Oozes with soul. Everyone knows this song by the age of 10, and may that continue for years to come.
3. Jimi - All Along the Watchtower
I still don't think that this is a good song to jimify. I think the guitars lose some of the emotion of the Dylan original.
4. Prince - When Doves Cry
It does slightly perplex me that this is Prince's most famous song. There are probably 5 songs on Purple Rain which are better than this.

Very tight call between Prince and Jimi Hendrix here. But When Doves Cry is a simply transcendent song.
One of my favorite songs and an all time great cover. Made even more awesome in my eyes by it's use in Battlestar Galactica.
Good funky song, but not as strong as his best songs on Innervisions
#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast
Another very good song, but not final four material.

This week is so ridiculously loaded, and so close, that I have to work backwards.

4. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder: It's incredible, ubiquitous, I love it every time it plays. This song is awesome and pretty much everybody agrees with this, but to me it seems to lack the special something that seperates "one of the best songs ever" from "maybe the best song ever?"

3. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution: It's just like, the best pop song ever. If it isn't than it's still the most interesting song to ever hit #1 on the billboard charts. That pounding drum beat, prince's sexified vocals, and that shredding! I know that Prince experts prefer other pieces of his, but I think this is his best by a decent margain.

2. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience: My love affair with Jimi Hendrix began when I was just 14 years old. I heard Purple Haze and thought, "this rocks!". I heard Voodoo Child and thought, "this rocks even harder than the (crappy) nu-metal I usually listen to!". I was hooked. And then I listened to this one. Whoah. It rocked sure, the guitar freak out is amazing and one of is best solos. But it does so much more. Those lyrics sounded deep, mannnnnn. From here I went into more gentler pieces like Little Wing and Castles made of Sand. From there, I went to the Beatles, and after a year of beatlemania I was firmly in the "music fan" camp. I've been there ever since, and will probably never leave. And I still love this song.

1. "B.O.B." - OutKast: I don't have any big great stories about musical discovery with this one. It's just the best song. I love the keyboard intro, and once that drumbeat comes in the song never looks back and neither do I. It transcends genre, but that's evident a minute into the song. Nothing does what B.O.B does as good as B.O.B.

This one wins my vote by such a massive margin. One of my favourite songs ever. Need I say more?
#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast
Such a fun song, a worthy second.
Very good song, but outshone by the above.
I can't see this one going through, and, as much as I don't despise the song, I hope I'm right.

Clear winner for me. My 2nd highest rated song in the latest all-time songs poll. Gets a 1 on my enjoyment scale.
Solid 2nd place for Superstition. My 126th highest rated song in the all-time songs poll. Gets a 4 on my enjoyment scale.
Fits neatly into third in this bracket. My 228th highest rated song in the all-time songs poll. Gets a 6 on my enjoyment scale.
#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast
This song doesn't belong in the semifinals as far as I'm concerned. An easy pick for 4th in almost any of the semifinals brackets as far as I'm concerned. It is a fine song and gets a 10 on my enjoyment scale. My 1801st highest rated song in my post-submission list of best songs of all-time.

This is by far the best semifinal!

1. Prince- "When Doves Cry": I've said a lot about this track already, so let me say this- how cool are the mirror effects in the video?! Prince really was an enigma at the time, and those last 3 experimental minutes of the song deserved a tripped out visual accompaniment.

2. Stevie Wonder- "Superstition": Gripping from the first note, it's the first funk song chronologically that I love.

3. Jimi Hendrix- "All Along the Watchtower": Yet another thrilling song that is unjustly (or justly, at this point) thrown in with other greats.

4. OutKast- "B.O.B.": This is pretty excellent as well, and would march all over Semifinal 4, but I still don't feel that this is the best rap song as its placement in the top 16 would suggest.

#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast : no matter how much I love the 3 others, they stand no chance against the best hip-hop song ever, my personal favorite stimulant which keeps on running forward and forward like a million elephants with silverback orangutants.
#84. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience : that's what comes to mind first when you ask me "best cover ever" (even though it might not be my final answer), one of my five first answer for "best guitar solo ever" (just doesn't beat Maggot Brain and one or 2 others), and that's just forgetting how great Hendrix's voice is. For most of other Jimi Hendrix Experience best songs, I would go "don't forget that this song is THAT good because of the bass player and the drummer too", but here, it is Hendrix and Hendrix alone, standing on the top of the world.
#44. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution : there are not many songs with typical 80s sound that I regard as being part of the best songs ever, and this is one of them.
#37. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder : I like this a lot, and it would end #1 or 2 on any other bracket. But here, the competition is far too strong. I always think Superstition lacks "something", the 3 others do not.

1. #84. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience /
A very easy number one in this bracket, and the only song I really like a lot. The original is great, but this is one of the best covers ever and also one of Jimi's best. It sounds so cool.
2. #356. "B.O.B." - OutKast /
Quite a big drop-off from one to two. Still, this song is very interesting and it hits you in the face. Catchy, danceable, but also rocky and hip-hoppy; a unique combination. The repetitive last part is maybe even the best part.
3. #44. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution /
I like this one more than I used to, and now it's one of the better Prince songs in my book. It's also nice to know that this was a big hit once. Doesn't sound like your average pop song.
4. #37. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder /
It's definitely not bad, but I just don't think it's that special. It leaves me too lukewarm to really respect the acclaim this song always gets. Wonder has better songs.

1. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder: A truly extraordinary bracket, this – I wouldn’t be disappointed to see any of these recordings in the final four. They have to be ranked, though, so I resort to “which one of these would I MOST like to hear right now?” Stevie’s timeless (no mean feat for a track whose main instrument is a clavinet) classic gets the edge, by the thinnest possible margin.
2. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution: It sounded like nothing that had come before, and 26 years later it hasn’t lost any of its visionary qualities.
3. "B.O.B." – OutKast: In the year 2026, my comments on #2 above will be just as true for this everything-plus-the-kitchen-sink hip-hop masterwork.
4. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience: SH2B4, and it’s here simply because as brilliant as it is, I can’t reasonably make an argument that it’s the best song of its particular decade – which is something I could easily do for the other three.

#356. "B.O.B." - OutKast

This week, the choice is incredibly hard.
When doves cry and superstition are not my favorites songs by Prince and Stevie Wonder but they are both excellents and deserve to go higher. And the cover of All along the watchtower is absolutly stunning. I put these songs in this order but they are all in the same level for me.
I don't like the Outkast's song.

Interesting to see four African-American artists from different decades paired together.

1. "B.O.B." - OutKast: The 2000s' last hope in bracketology overwhelms the competition here. To me the first half of the song is clearly better than the last half, but it's so good that the song is in my all-time top 70. Magnificent details.

2. "All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix: This one is just starting to venture from the 'personal favorite' zone into the 'overplayed but classic' zone. But this is still an obviously magnificent song, that, along with "Bold As Love," mark Hendrix's most transcendent moments.

3. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder: The competition is tough when this universal classic gets third place. Might be the best keyboard riff ever created.

4. "When Doves Cry" - Prince: Pretty far behind the other three. I never really put it on anymore.

All four of these songs would get a 10/10 in my book, and I have to say I love all four of them pretty equally. So...I went with most "objectively great" (with my own criteria, of course) to determine the order.

1. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - This song is first because it is utterly flawless. I can't come up with anything wrong with it. Great song, great lyrics, chord structure, soulfulness, instrumental virtuosity, tight arrangement...you got me here.
2. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder - Probably the funkiest song ever...but it's about nothing in particular. That doesn't matter because everyone only listens to the drums and clavinet anyways, but...I have to nitpick so I can legitly put it in second.
3. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution - I think one thing about a Top 4 of all-time song is that it should be immediate, and this weirded me out for the first 3 or 4 listens until I got used to it (at which point it got really stuck in my head for a while).
4. "B.O.B." - OutKast - A fantastic song, but it's missing one thing...hooks.

I don't know how many points each song has, but this week seems like it could fo to anyone at this point.
These final 24 hours will probably be the decider.

1. "B.O.B." - OutKast
Sometimes I'll hear a song and immediately love it. With other songs, it takes me a few listens for it to open up to me. There are others that I just never get. I still remember the first time I heard "B.O.B." My college roommate had a bootlegged copy of "Stankonia," and this was the first track he put on. Sort of a "you have to hear this" kind of thing. And immediately I knew: this was a great song. And none of the excitement I first felt for this song has waned in the ten years since then.
2. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
This is truly an iconic song. Put this in any movie, and the mood will immediately turn sober. Something serious is about to go down. This isn't a matter of Hendrix taking a Dylan song and making it his own, this is an example of Hendrix taking a song and just blowing it wide open. From that opening guitar solo until it fades out, the song just crackles with raw, uninhibited passion. And incredibly, it's actually a pretty sexy song.
3. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder
This is an example of a song that took a few listens for it to open up to me. The first Stevie Wonder album I ever bought was "Original Musiquarium," and this was the opener. I remember putting the album on, hearing "Superstition" for the first time and thinking, "Meh." I was more captivated by the next track, "You Haven't Done Nothin'." It wasn't until a couple of years later, I was driving around with a guy from our church, and "Superstition" came on the radio. The other guy said, "Oh yeah! This is a great song!" I didn't want to look like an ass, so I agreed with him, but that's when I finally actually listened to it. No, it's not the deepest song Stevie ever wrote as far as lyrics go, but that groove is quite possibly the greatest ever written. I defy you to listen to this song and NOT start bobbing your head at the very least. It's insanely infectious.
4. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution
Quite possibly the best song I've put in the #4 spot, and frankly, something had to be #4. If I had to be honest though, I much prefer other songs off of "Purple Rain" to this one. As iconic and as unique as this one is, it's not my favorite.

Impossible week this week, all of these are in my Top 700, which for me is pretty much the very cream of the crop.

Unfortunately, I'm VERY pressed for time this week, so I have to brief...

1. "B.O.B." - OutKast
Maybe the most divisive song in this tournament, it seems this is either 1 or 4 quite often. Well, it's the best rap song ever, and the best song of the '00s, so maybe that reflects how people think of rap and the '00s. Packs more genre leaps in under 5 minutes than many a 20-minute epic. And it keeps getting better with time.
2. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution
I've been warming back up to this one lately, it's a masterpiece, and pretty brave stuff for a month-long #1 in the '80s.
3. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder
Good god, this is #3? Lots to talk about and focus on, but often lost is just how great the vocal is on this.
4. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Wow, Jimi's best work at 4. Yikes. I love that he has 3 distinct solos on this, all different from the other, all in service of the song and not just showing off.

I just noticed that has all three Oukast songs (Hey Ya, B.O.B, Ms. Jackson) made it to this round, they would be in this bracket. Hey Ya lost to All Along the Watchtower, and Ms. Jackson lost to My Generation, which then lost to When Doves Cry.

This week the bracket's much better than in the last. Two of these made #1 in round 3 and the other two were #2.

1) "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution: Still the number first. After the initial riff it becomes quite boring, but since the synth appears, it goes turning better on and one. The unspeaking second half is for sure the best.
2) "B.O.B." - OutKast: I don't find it better than Hey Ya, but it's still an enormous song. One of the most interesting rap songs ever.
3) "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder: Like I've said before, the killer production saves it. Delicious funk.
4) "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Sure impressive. First time I'll say this in the game: SH2B4!

Voting for this week is now over.

RESULTS

Very evenly-matched bracket this week, as the difference between first and last place was only 10 points, and this with seventeen ballots cast. In the end, the victory goes to the song that had the most first-place votes, and Seattle's favorite son moves into the finals. "All Along the Watchtower" joins "Like a Rolling Stone" in the final bracket.

1. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (48 points, 7 first-place votes)
2. "B.O.B." - OutKast (44, 6)
3. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder (40, 1)
4. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution (38, 3)

Matt Schroeder
RESULTS

Very evenly-matched bracket this week, as the difference between first and last place was only 10 points, and this with seventeen ballots cast. In the end, the victory goes to the song that had the most first-place votes, and Seattle's favorite son moves into the finals. "All Along the Watchtower" joins "Like a Rolling Stone" in the final bracket.

1. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (48 points, 7 first-place votes)

I don't mean to be pedantic, Matt, but I see 5 first-place votes for Watchtower, 7 for B.O.B., and 4 for When Doves Cry in the lists that were submitted....

sonofsamiam
Matt Schroeder
RESULTS

I don't mean to be pedantic, Matt, but I see 5 first-place votes for Watchtower, 7 for B.O.B., and 4 for When Doves Cry in the lists that were submitted....

And two for Superstition...

Gillingham
sonofsamiam
Matt Schroeder
RESULTS

Actually I think 1 #1 for Superstition is correct...it's confusing because one person submitted his in reverse order.

I think this really needs re-counting though ... I did the math and "Watchtower" and "B.O.B." are tied with 45 points each.

sonofsamiam
Gillingham
sonofsamiam
Matt Schroeder
RESULTS

Actually I think 1 #1 for Superstition is correct...it's confusing because one person submitted his in reverse order.

I think this really needs re-counting though ... I did the math and "Watchtower" and "B.O.B." are tied with 45 points each.

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. I've always been afraid that I would miscount a bracket. And you are correct, I was wrong in my original calculations.

THE REAL RESULTS (My bad...)

1. "B.O.B." - OutKast (45 points, 7 first-place votes)
2. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (45, 5)
3. "When Doves Cry" - Prince & the Revolution (40, 4)
4. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder (40, 1)

I'm not entirely sure how I miscounted before, but the new winner is OutKast. "B.O.B." will take on Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" in the finals.

VICTORY!

I'm so happy B.O.B. got through to the final 4. They truly deserve it.

Best result of the tournament so far. It did seem like "B.O.B." was winning the whole week just from looking at the individual lists.

Warning: The following post contains langauge of violent and/or explicit nature. Readed descresion is advised.
FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't been this mad about a result since Sweet Child O' Mine lost. Well deserved, Outkast.

Jackson
Best result of the tournament so far. It did seem like "B.O.B." was winning the whole week just from looking at the individual lists.

The best result of the tournament would be if B.O.B upsets Like A Rolling Stone. Now THAT would be an upset. Not that I dont love LARS. Yay for B.O.B though.

Meh. B.O.B.'s a good song and all, but it's nothing I see as special. I would have preferred it if Ms Jackson or Hey Ya got through.

BillAdama
Meh. B.O.B.'s a good song and all, but it's nothing I see as special. I would have preferred it if Ms Jackson or Hey Ya got through.

I also prefer "Ms. Jackson". That said, I like all 4 songs in this bracket, and although I don't feel that "B.O.B." deserves it, it probably will get my vote in the final round.

SR
Jackson

The best result of the tournament would be if B.O.B upsets Like A Rolling Stone. Now THAT would be an upset. Not that I dont love LARS. Yay for B.O.B though.

Unfortunately I'm going to be boring and rate LARS first in the final, unless "God Only Knows" gets through.

It's still really cool that a hip-hop song from the 2000s made it, and I hope that at least someone on the forum enjoys B.O.B. more than they did at the start of the tournament.