Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Round 1, Week 5

Time for four more to kick the bucket:
88. Oasis (18 points)
87. Brian Eno (10)
86. Parliament/Funkadelic (8)
85. Bob Dylan (8)
Who’s living on the edge: Ramones (7), Nick Cave (7)
You are not seeing things. You have not lost your mind. You are not having a stroke. Bob Dylan, a heavy favorite to make the final 5, who made the final 2 last time around, and who came in third in the recent artists poll, has not made it to the top 84. This is an upset of the ages.
So, in the first five eliminations, the artist I’ve given the highest negative too have been eliminated.
Comments are now optional.

Now, let the games begin! We are down to 84 artists. Here, please post four artists want you off the “Island” out of the remaining artists. Please see the Rules Thread for the complete set of rules. Remember that one artist get 4 points, the next gets 3, and so on.

Guy won the Immunity Challenge last week, so Frank Zappa and Buddy Holly are immune this week.

The Remaining Artists:
Arcade Fire, The Band, The Beach Boys, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Chuck Berry, Big Star, Björk, Blur, David Bowie, James Brown, The Byrds, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave, Ray Charles, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, John Coltrane, Sam Cooke, Elvis Costello, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Miles Davis, The Doors, Nick Drake, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Michael Jackson, The Jam, Elton John, Joy Division, The Kinks, Kraftwerk, Led Zeppelin, Little Richard, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Massive Attack, Curtis Mayfield, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, New Order, Nirvana, OutKast, Pavement, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Portishead, Elvis Presley, Prince, Public Enemy, Pulp, Radiohead, Ramones, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Sly and the Family Stone, The Smashing Pumpkins, Elliot Smith,The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, The Stooges, Talking Heads, T. Rex, U2, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, The White Stripes, The Who, Wilco, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention

Re: AM Survivor: Round 1, Week 5

Lame.

Two of my top four out. Not sure if it's worth it to keep playing.

I know it may be disappointing to many that Bob Dylan is out, but this is just a fun game! The artist poll reflects the true feelings of this forum better. I was upset that The Cure was axed so early until I realized that it's better to be loved and hated than to be roundly thought of as ok or pretty good.

Dylan out! Oh well,at least it makes it more unpredictable...

-4 John Coltrane
-3 Miles Davis
-2 Public Enemy
-1 Bjork

-4 Pink Floyd
-3 The Who
-2 The Beatles
-1 The Band

So right now 3 of my favs The Cure, Oasis & Dylan are gone while the useless Zappa gets a bye taking away my automatic (-4)... This week it is personal...

(-4) Joni Mitchell --- Anytime I am grocery shopping and I have to hear "Big Yellow Taxi" I feel like Throwing shit at people.... God I hate that song...

(-3) Tom Waits --- Dude irritates me...

(-2) The Band --- The most overrated band ever...

(-1) Kraftwerk...

The die has been cast. Strategery it is.

-4 Pink Floyd
-3 John Coltrane
-2 Public Enemy
-1 U2

I need to find out what Romain's favorite band is so I can get revenge!

BillAdama
The die has been cast. Strategery it is.

-4 Pink Floyd
-3 John Coltrane
-2 Public Enemy
-1 U2

I need to find out what Romain's favorite band is so I can get revenge!

Oh, I'm sorry !
Honestly, I never thinking that Dylan could be eliminated so quickly (with only two voters ).
But I never play strategy, it's the same name I put since the begining.

I can give you my four favotits artists remaining in this list (who are not my absolutes favorites artist) : Prince, Bowie, The Beatles and Stevie Wonder...make you happy

And my votes :
-4 Van Morrisson
-3 The Band
-2 Fleetwood Mac
-1 Johnny Cash

-4 The Band
-3 Big Star
-2 Ramones
-1 The Byrds

-4 Ramones
-3 New Order
-2 Big Star
-1 The Clash

Dylan gone! That's it, this means war.
If Ramones are going then U2 has to go with them:

-4 U2
-3 Bjork
-2 Fleetwood Mac
-1 Pink Floyd (sorry Syd)

Ok, before everybody goes completely insane because Dylan's gone, remember: There will be aq chance for him to be revived when we get to the top 21 (22 with revival).

-4 Big Star
-3 Nick Cave
-2 Frank Sinatra
-1 Tom Waits

-4 - Little Richard
-3 - U2
-2 - the Jam
-1 - Frank Sinatra

A minus 4 vote holds so much weight...

That (-4) does hold alot of weight, but only if someone else punches up another one. Right now Floyd and U2 are at (-8), theoretically they should be gone this round, we will see.

-4 Nick Cave
-3 U2
-2 Little Richard
-1 The Ramones

-4 Joni Mitchell
-3 U2 (That should do it)
-2 Björk
-1 The White Stripes

-4 The Doors
-3 Pink Floyd
-2 U2
-1 Led Zeppelin

It looks like PF and U2 are heading out, so let's get some Doors hate too. I happy to see Oasis get booted out by a huge margain. Hopefully no one gets that much hate.

It appears U2 and Floyd are screwed, oh well. I'm pulling for Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.
And even though your favorite may get eliminated, this game is still fun.
Edit: Last week, only six artists recieved 7 or more points. THis week, we already have 8 a day in!

Even though U2 would be in my top 20 artists,I can't blame people for voting for them - they've been pretty cringe-worthy for the last 10 years. Bono used to be a much better singer than he is now...

Some strategic voting to give Pink Floyd (and hopefully U2) another chance:

4 - Nick Cave
3 - Joni Mitchell
2 - The Band
1 - Big Star

If you want to keep Pink Floyd and/or U2 safe, join me in an "alliance" and send your votes towards these four (and probably in alternating orders, to keep the points evenly distributed).

So far, these four have had the most votes cast against them (aside from U2 and Pink Floyd)

-4 Bjork
-3 Tom Waits
-2 Beastie Boys
-1 Velvet Underground

-4 Nick Cave
-3 Elliott Smith
-2 Leonard Cohen
-1 Little Richard

I have yet to get around to listening to more Elliott Smith, so forgive me. Also, I will continue voting for the same artists until one gets eliminated. I've never been big on strategic voting (as fun as it can be).

-4 Coltrane
-3 Elvis Costello
-2 Nick Cave
-1 Roxy Music

No change for me, no strategic vote (well, we'll talk about that when the subject will be to save Elliott Smith or Beastie Boys).

And Nick, listen to Either/Or ! Now ! Do it !

I like both U2 and especially Pink Floyd, but I'm considering changing my vote to them anyway, seeing this happening.

Gillingham
I like both U2 and especially Pink Floyd, but I'm considering changing my vote to them anyway, seeing this happening.

Seeing what happening?

-4 Fleetwood Mac
-3 Elton John
-2 Joni Mitchell
-1 Little Richard

Midaso
Even though U2 would be in my top 20 artists,I can't blame people for voting for them - they've been pretty cringe-worthy for the last 10 years. Bono used to be a much better singer than he is now...

Still, they have had a few good songs since 2000 (Bueatiful Day, Vertigo), but I will agree No Line on Horizon wasn't up to par.
EDIT: There are now 12 artists that have recieved 7 or more points, inccuding 7 with 10 or more. It appears there is much more hate going around this week.
Why isn't anyone voting for Sinatra? Come on!

Daniel
Gillingham

Seeing what happening?

This:
Daniel
If you want to keep Pink Floyd and/or U2 safe, join me in an "alliance" and send your votes towards these four (and probably in alternating orders, to keep the points evenly distributed).

Loving that Dylan's ouster has led to the knives coming out.

Joy Division (-4)
Joni Mitchell (-3)
Roxy Music (-2)
Kraftwerk (-1)

-4 John Coltrane
-3 Bjork
-2 The White Stripes
-1 Arcade Fire

-4 Bjork
-3 Joni Mitchell