The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
demographic thread : continued

It's been a long time since the last demographic thread

For our newcomers : in this forum, our discussions on music matters seem to be endless, but we don't tell a lot about ourselves.
As I (and a lot of my fellow AMers) see this site as a sort of warm and friendly forum, free of bad behavior, I guess we should introduce ourselves.

So feel free to tell us your name, age, place of living, country of origin, occupation, hobbies, etc..
There's a lot of new people here, but we old regulars should do that too (time to give news of what chaged in our lives)

I'll start : I'm 40, I live in Chatillon, just outside Paris, France. I have a wife and 2 kids (Cyann, 6 and Basile, 3). I'm an editor (working mainly for the french Who's who) but I'm sick of my job and i' m considering becoming a teacher, maybe an English teacher, so this forum helps me improving my English (that needs some improving).
I caught the music virus when I was a kid and now i'm very seriously infected. I also play the guitar and sing. Outside music I love football (soccer) like a good European son, movies, books and travelling. and , of course, lists

What about you, gentlemen ?

Re: demographic thread : continued

MY TURN!

My name is Matt Schroeder (whodathunkit?) and I'm 28 years old. I was born and raised in Spokane, Washington in the U.S., and I still live there. My town's biggest claims to fame are that a) we are the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis, b) we're the home of Gonzaga University (for all of you out there who are big into college basketball), and c) Bing Crosby was from here.
I'm currently in college trying to (finally) finish up my college degree. Ten years after graduating and I'm still going. (Thanks a lot, depression.) To pay the bills, I'm working as a pizza delivery man, living off of tips (don't get me started on this subject).
I'm a collector by nature. When I was a kid, it was baseball cards (and other sports as well). I still have all my cards, and I'd probably say I have close to a million. When I got into high school, I started getting into music, and I began collecting CDs. A few years ago, I took a job at a local Blockbuster Video, and I started collecting DVDs.
I've played the piano since I was about 4, though I don't play very often anymore. My piano just gathers dust nowadays, but every now and then I sit down and plink my way through a Beethoven sonata or a Joplin rag.
My love of non-classical music began when I was a sophomore in high school and I saw Elton John give a performance of "Tiny Dancer" on TV. That song is still my #1 favorite of all time. I started collecting every Elton John CD I could get, then moved on to other artists (Billy Joel, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Jamiroquai, Dave Matthews Band, Fiona Apple, etc.). I later took a job as a DJ at my college's radio station, and that began a love of jazz music (Miles, Trane, Hancock, Rollins, Bill Evans). I later became the station's jazz director and general manager, which was my entrée into indie rock (Arcade Fire, Shout Out Louds, TV on the Radio, Sufjan, Sigur Rós).
I love to travel, and I've been all over the world. I've been to 35 of the 50 U.S. states, and I've also been to Canada, Mexico, Scotland, Ireland, Guernsey, France, Portugal, Madeira, Spain, Malta, Italy, Monaco, Switzerland, Germany, Estonia, Denmark, Finland, Russia, Sweden, Norway and Tunisia.
Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook. I'm already friends there with a few other AMers.

Hi all,

This young fellow is a Dutch, 25-year old student whose hoping to finish his Masters degree Politics and Parliament in 2010. Before that, I finished a Bachelors History and a Propedeuse (name of first year in Holland) of Psychology. I have posted on this forum for about half a year now, and had been lurking for some time before that.
Of course an important part of my hobbies and interests is the same as any other man or woman here, namely music. Besides that, literature, films and sports are also quite important to me. And last but not least, traveling. I've seen quite a bit of Europe, especially the western part. I've also been to the continents of Africa, Asia, North America and South America. Only Australia is left, but there are so many other interesting places I want to visit as well.
Meanwhile I try to (as with all my interests) expand my knowledge and taste of music and this site helps me quite a bit with that effort. The focus of this site is mainly pop music and in a lesser extent jazz and world music (the latter even less), but I also love classical music.

great Matt !!

A few things I'd like to add
My musical history : French chanson when I was a kid (Brassens is still one of my very favorite artists), then the radio in 1981. BY 1984 I discovered a French radio (RFM) that played a lot of American music (mostly soft rock and oldies), I became a fan of Bruce (I still am). By 18, classic rock from the 60s and 70s. I sang in a band that played 70s rock from 1991 to 1995. In the 2000s I got completely hooked on roots music (prewar blues and country), then I discovered Am in 2007 and got back to rock, while keeping an ear for every kind of music. My "weak" points are classical and jazz (but I love those styles).

My travels took me to Israel, India, Ladakh, Burkina Faso, baltic countries, Spain, Bali, Morocco, etc..
I've only been once to the States : colorado, 1993

I'm 27, I live near Boston.

I have a BA in psychology, and right now I'm in a Masters program in information technology. All I've got left is my thesis which I started work on a month ago. I've got a crappy part time job for money while I'm in school.

I am 37. Currently residing just outside of Milwaukee, WI. Spent most of my life here and currently employed as a Transportation Broker.

I have multiple degrees; B.A. in history from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and a degree in Education from North Carolina State University. I also spent 4 years in Radio/TV/Film at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh where I was Post-Modern Music Coordinator for 4 years at WRST-Oshkosh back in the early 90's.

I spent 2 years researching top song lists from each year (1955-2009) as part of the Slicknation project which has temporarily been put on hold and will hopefully be brought back to life, redone with a few changes and published sometime in the next 10 years.

Hi! My real name is Hyego (weird, un?), i'm 17, i'm from Brazil and i live in a small town (in comparison) to others in my country. I am a student, i have a bunch of friends, since people say i am extremely likable! I have a facebook too, and you can add me, though everything is in portuguese and i don't have many people there cause people here in my country prefer to use Orkut, instead. I love to hang out, have fun, make fun, laugh, be a friend, in and out of love and all the rest of the stuff that we love in life. I don't play anything, but i want to learn something next year. I still go to school, but next year i'm entering college. If i make it, my dream is to become a diplomat some day and right now i intend to work in diplomacy, external relationships, or do something related to politics or translate languages big companies (you gain a lot of cash). I want to travel next year, maybe NY and LA or Europe, depends of money and other stuff. I love music and i find it to be the perfect fit to my life, kinda like a soundtrack, a very good soundtrack indeed thanks to AM.
I won't lie that i'm a huge fan of women and bands lead by females, it's very easy to me to enjoy them, while bands lead by men take more time to sink in. I used to listen to a lot of pop back in the day: from Kelly Clarkson and Mariah to Gwen, Britney and even Jessica Simpson. Didn't got it was Then i was hooked by this track "Why Can't I" by Liz Phair, then i went to wikipedia to search about her and critics hated that disc (big news! - i thought - they hated everything i liked it and only they had ears to bad metal - poor me). When i saw Exile in Guyville and its 5 stars review i needed to check this girl past. I was hooked. I was converted. I used to have 2000 of the discs inside AM top 3000, i lost it because my father broke my ipod with a hammer (hit her with a hammer... oh PJ Harvey). Later i started to dig and adore so may others like: PJ Harvey because of her striking Rid of Me cover and even bands lead by men. Back in the day i used to hate guys's voices. Look guys to me were: Simple Plan, Blink 182 and My Chemical Romance. I started to dig the real guys! Clash, Pistols, Zeppelin, Stones, Bowie, Dylan, Waits, Sonic Youth, everyone!

I'm really thankful to this website and Pitchfork, you guys changed my life. We don't always agree, but most of the time you guys have me! I adore you people, that's why there's not a single day that i can't come over here to check something out and post on this forum.

Also, seeing that this forum is largely made of people from different countries, cultures, languages, background and yet similar personalities and musical tastes is something that worths to me a lot!

My name's Nick (no shit) and I'm 19. I live in upstate New York, in a small town about ten minutes from Albany. I've lived in this area my entire life. I have a lot of friends that I've known for a long time, and most of them go to school's near me now. I go to a local college where I'm a sophomore majoring in architecture. My main interests are (in addition to architecture), music, art, reading, writing, and philosophy. If I think of anything else to add, I'll add something.

Edit: I also have a facebook, my full name is Nick Tario. As far as I'm aware, there's only one Nick Tario, but just in case, my profile picture (as of now) is me in a suit on a couch surrounded by people. Feel free to add me.

My name is Marc Niemann.
I live in Hoboken, a part of Antwerp, Belgium, and have been living in various locations in and around Antwerp my whole life.
I'm 44, have a wife and 3 children, aged 9,4 and 2. I work in Brussels in the IT department of a large French bank, so I speak Dutch, French and English daily. I'm kind of bored with my job at this point.
Loved pop music since I was 7, first single I bought was "Wig wam bam" by The Sweet; started being interested in lists and rock music by the "top 200 best records of all time" in 1978, which appeared in Humo magazine. In the 80s, music was mostly awful until there was a record released called "The Indestructible Sound of Soweto", which started my interest in "world" music, and jazz, classical, etc.
Like so many of my IT colleagues, I've had severe back problems, had an operation about a year ago, and I'm doing reasonably ok now; the only thing is I can't run or jog anymore.
One of the things I do enjoy apart from music is that I play the stock market.
Feel free to add me on Facebook, there aren't so many Marc Niemann 's from Hoboken, Antwerp, Belgium

Well, I'll leave my name at Alex D. I'm soon to be 18 and I'm from Bethlehem, PA, though I currently live in Uppsala, Sweden. I've bounced back and forth between those two locales throughout high school, but for now I'm staying put until I graduate gymnasium here. After that, I'm planning on going to college stateside. I first got into music at age 12 after AC/DC suddenly became popular amongst the sixth-grade boys at my school. In my early teens, I developed a taste for classic rock (still following the trends) like Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc., while picking up the bass and joining a bad cover band that eventually became halfway decent. I discovered this site in '07 in the middle of my Beatles kick. (Everyone except Moonbeam has had one, and it lasts about a year while you devour every song the Fab Four have ever made.) Through AM I found one of my favorite albums ever, Pet Sounds, and I started browsing the AMF in late '08, which was around the same time I discovered hip-hop (probably my most-listened to genre these days, although I haven't found a rap album that quite reaches the genius of Highway 61 Revisited, another favorite, although Illmatic is close). Now I make rap beats in my spare time, which is severely constrained by school these days. (Search Alex Dope Beats on Facebook, if you'd like to have a listen.) Outside of music, I'm really interested in politics (I hope to one day become a diplomat) and I like to snowboard when I get the chance. I'm also a big football (American and European) and hockey fan. I'm a Steelers, Penn State, Liverpool and Flyers fan, not to mention the Yankees, Mavericks, Duke and Federer. (I've always been a sports nut. While other kids were watching cartoons on Saturday morning, I was watching Sportscenter.) That's all for now.

My name is Spencer Reiss and I'm from a small town in northern New Jersey about 30 minutes outside of Manhattan. I'm 18 years old, and a freshmen Government and Politics major at the University of Maryland.

My musical journey began with Jimi Hendrix and classic rock. I went through the ubiquitous Beatles phase, before beginning to branch out into other genres of music. Now I listen mostly to Indie Rock and old school Hip-Hop, and am always trying to find something new and interesting.

Sorry, I must have missed the original thread. I just looked it up and it was earlier this year.

My name really is Guy, I've just turned 18, from North West England but very recently have taken up residence in London going to one of its many fine institutions of higher education. And, as you might have guessed from me being on this forum, I LOVE MUSIC. Eclectic tastes ranging across relatively mainstream areas of rock, but I'm discovering all the time!

I just got my first guitar about a month ago, and have already written a song (using all six strings for each chord ). So I'm well on the way in my plan to take over the world by my late twenties through the power of music. I write loads, but I'm scared to share any of it with anyone, and it'll probably be a side note to my music until well after I'm dead, when my artistic legacy will live on and guide humanity until oblivion.

You can decide for yourselves how much of this is true.

Alex D
I'm a Steelers, Penn State, Liverpool and Flyers fan

Penn State? I'm trying to get a year abroad at UPenn. And I'm a Manchester United fan. We can be rivals in two things

And I completely know what you mean about The Beatles kick...

I'm a 26 year old american man who graduated from Loyola University New Orleans. I am one of 4 children, and the oldest from my father's second marriage. My hobbies include writing and composing. I'm currently a team leader at Target working towards a management position.

The first album I ever owned was Dookie, but it was Nirvana's Nevermind that changed my life. Through out high school, I listened to mostly mainstream alternative, classic rock, and metal, until my sophomore year of college and started exploring other genres, delving both into the classics (Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Velvet Underground) and (then modern masterpieces, now classics) by Radiohead, Wilco, Neutral Milk Hotel, and The Flaming Lips.

In 2005 I discovered acclaimed music, and got kind of hooked... I currently have 2028 albums on my iPod, probably 1500 of which appear on this site.

I suppose I'm kind of a mixture of grown up and child-like. I'm a huge comic book nerd, and I'm almost as obsessed with the upcoming Marvel Avengers movie as I am with music.

Hey guys,

My name is Nianyi Hong. I'm 19 and I'm a sophomore at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. I'm a prospective econ and pre-med student, so we'll see how that works. I was actually born in China, but I've lived in the US for the past 16 years, so I'm probably considered way more of an American than anything else.

I pretty much got into music at the end of middle school, around the age of 12-13. I discovered Acclaimed Music at the beginning of high school, probably 3 years ago and I've been addicted since then. I still think that this is the best site for discovering new music and I'm constantly amazed at the discoveries I make with the help of other forum members.

My first album was actually a double album, the Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie" - an album that I continue to love to this day. That was pretty much what got me into music. It also shows that my leaning is towards modern and indie rock - I appreciate a lot of classic rock, but jazz and hip-hop sometimes go over my head unless its transcendental.

Outside of music, I'm a pretty big sports fan as well - Red Sox, KC Chiefs, KU basketball, and Tottenham for the EPL.

Seems like I get to be rivals with quite a few of you guys - I hate Duke basketball (one reason why I decided not to attend Duke haha) and Penn and Dartmouth are slight rivals.

I'm also glad that there are a lot of the younger guys here now - when I first got here, I was the youngest by a good amount.

My first name is Listy and my last name is Guy.
I'm still 14, and still on the Island. I still love the Mets, Jets and of course, rock and roll (and other musics)

Just out of curiosity-why didn't you just bump up the old demgraphic thread?

Penguin
Seems like I get to be rivals with quite a few of you guys - I hate Duke basketball (one reason why I decided not to attend Duke haha) and Penn and Dartmouth are slight rivals.

Looks like a lot of people hate Duke basketball! We did a real number on them this past weekend, beating them at football and humiliating them at soccer. 2 sports down, 1 more to go!

Penguin

Syracus eis my team for college basketball.

Listyguy
Penguin

College Hoops is all about Kansas... Rockchalk Jayhawk!!!!

Hey Guy, do you go to UCL? What are you studying? Enjoying the shockingly overpriced food ? I live right in the centre of London.

Yeah, I'm 16, and I got into music with a little help from my family. Starting with 2004 indie rock like Modest Mouse's Good News For People Who Love Bad News, Bright Eye's I'm wide awake it's morning, and The Darkness's Permission To Land, I have slowly but surely developed my taste in music to something a bit more refined and mature.

I live in London, currently in "6th form" doing my A Levels. I intend to go to uni, then find a job in journalism or politics. Sports teams? Arsenal (hmm so there's a spurs fan, a man u fan, a liverpool fan...naturally I hate all of you ) in football, and after watching the Superbowl for the first time last year, and being quintessentially British in supporting the underdog, I now support New Orleans Saints in American Football. Though I enjoy watching national sport competitions i don't really enjoy watching too much sport.

I have to say, I find it utterly perplexing to find that Americans actually have favourite college football teams.

Guy
Alex D
I'm a Steelers, Penn State, Liverpool and Flyers fan

Penn State? I'm trying to get a year abroad at UPenn. And I'm a Manchester United fan. We can be rivals in two things

Ha, Penn State and UPenn aren't quite rivals, but in a few months I'll likely be applying to UPenn. (It's a fantastic school...in the middle of the ghetto in West Philly.) I'll have to switch basketball allegiances, though, if I get into the school I really want to go to (that would be Georgetown).

And Zorg, college football is popular here because that's how organized football started in the mid-1800's, as contests between universities. The pro leagues didn't really get started until after World War I, and the NFL only took off in the late sixties, by which time the college game was pretty firmly established, and it's stuck around until today.

Please go to Georgetown. That way I'll have someone to go to concerts with in DC. It's really hard to get in, but if you're competitive for UPenn than you'll probably pull Georgetown.

Btw, Terps are where it's at for basketball. As for as peak teams, ACC can't really be beat.

Zorg
Hey Guy, do you go to UCL? What are you studying? Enjoying the shockingly overpriced food ? I live right in the centre of London.

Yeah I do go to UCL actually. It's great, you should come here. The food prices aren't too bad. Had a large takeaway and drinks yesterday for a tenner so that was okay. And if you want to go into journalism or politics, do Classics. You don't even need to know any Greek/Latin to apply, and it really opens your eyes to the English language and political philosophy especially. But then I am ever so slightly biased since that's what I do

Do you live near the UCL campus then?

Slick
Listyguy
Penguin

College Hoops is all about Kansas... Rockchalk Jayhawk!!!!

Absolutely! Grew up in Lawrence, Kansas myself actually.

Is college basketball as big as the NBA? It often seems that way from the outside looking in. I've been a big fan of the NBA since I saw the Heat-Mavericks finals series in 2006. I jumped on the Celtics bandwagon when they got the big 3 of Pierce,KG and Allen together a couple of years ago. Naturally,I hate the Lakers(Kobe is OK these days but pretty much everyone else on the side is a total douchebag). Don't like the Spurs either. The Heat will be pretty sweet to watch this year,I think they may challenge the 72 win season of the Chicago Bulls 14 odd years ago...

It depends on where you are or who you ask. College Basketball is personally a much better product, but I'm biased and not a big fan of the NBA. To me it goes Major League baseball, College Hoops, NFL, College Football and the NHL. Tennis, Golf and the NBA as secondary sports. Others like soccer, boxing and nascar as irrelevant, but that is my opinion as a sports fan, something that is definately up for debate and really depends on where your from and your own personal preferences when it comes to sports.

Slick
It depends on where you are or who you ask. College Basketball is personally a much better product, but I'm biased and not a big fan of the NBA. To me it goes Major League baseball, College Hoops, NFL, College Football and the NHL. Tennis, Golf and the NBA as secondary sports. Others like soccer, boxing and nascar as irrelevant, but that is my opinion as a sports fan, something that is definately up for debate and really depends on where your from and your own personal preferences when it comes to sports.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would attempt to explain why you don't care for the NBA. I have been a Knicks fan since they won the championship with Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Dave Debusschere, Dick Barnett and Bill Bradley back in 1969-70. I became a Laker fan when Magic Johnson played for them. My interest in the NBA is still keen and I now root for many teams including the Lakers and the Knicks. But in my view, the NBA game became less interesting in the 1990's. I believe that this change in the game resulted from a greater tolerance for fouling the point guard when the point guard is handling the ball (excessive hand checking in my view) and lots of hacking of players in the lane as they move for a layup. I trace this development to at least as early as the play of the Knicks during the 1991-1992 and 1992-93 when Pat Riley's team became "tough" defensively. But, perhaps the trend was evident in the play of the Bulls and Pistons many years earlier.

The isolation plays in the NBA also tend to take too long to develop and make the game less interesting than the Laker's Showtime years with Magic.

I love March Madness and have become a Pac-10 fan since I came out for grad school at Stanford. But, I must admit that the Big East and ACC are almost always better in basketball than the PAC-10.

I like college basketball and went to two schools that are pretty well known for it (Valparaiso and Utah), but it just doesn't compare with the NBA. I'm an obsessive NBA fan and have been since I was about 6. There's no comparing the athleticism, skill and intensity of the NBA.

hi, i'm still good ole nj from Cologne/Dortmund/Dmany, but not a female after all. my semi-nihilistic-moded attempt to spice up this forum via an overdue, counterweighting girl character (based on my actual gf) failed miserably... and most of my AMFriends already know about it, but not all... curse and bless the day when post-venussed nj eventually felt encouraged to meet the tremendous amount of genuine human matter generated from this little corner of the board world: yet s/he'd still found her/himself stuck to this Disney romcom nitemare plot that read like the oldest www-cliché in the world..

hence: my.., no: MY sincerest apologies.

nj
hi, i'm still good ole nj from Cologne/Dortmund/Dmany, but not a female after all. my semi-nihilistic-moded attempt to spice up this forum via an overdue, counterweighting girl character (based on my actual gf) failed miserably... and most of my AMFriends already know about it, but not all... curse and bless the day when post-venussed nj eventually felt encouraged to meet the tremendous amount of genuine human matter generated from this little corner of the board world: yet s/he'd still found her/himself stuck to this Disney romcom nitemare plot that read like the oldest www-cliché in the world..

hence: my.., no: MY sincerest apologies.

again, thanks a lot to you and realjade for forcing me into this... assholes..

.. + + ...: Prequel?

Henry
Slick

I would greatly appreciate it if you would attempt to explain why you don't care for the NBA. I have been a Knicks fan since they won the championship with Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Dave Debusschere, Dick Barnett and Bill Bradley back in 1969-70. I became a Laker fan when Magic Johnson played for them. My interest in the NBA is still keen and I now root for many teams including the Lakers and the Knicks. But in my view, the NBA game became less interesting in the 1990's. I believe that this change in the game resulted from a greater tolerance for fouling the point guard when the point guard is handling the ball (excessive hand checking in my view) and lots of hacking of players in the lane as they move for a layup. I trace this development to at least as early as the play of the Knicks during the 1991-1992 and 1992-93 when Pat Riley's team became "tough" defensively. But, perhaps the trend was evident in the play of the Bulls and Pistons many years earlier.

The isolation plays in the NBA also tend to take too long to develop and make the game less interesting than the Laker's Showtime years with Magic.

I love March Madness and have become a Pac-10 fan since I came out for grad school at Stanford. But, I must admit that the Big East and ACC are almost always better in basketball than the PAC-10.

I really enjoyed the NBA as a kid in the 80's, but I can some up why I do not care about the NBA very simply... In the NBA it is all about the name on the back of the jersey, but in college its all about the name on the front of the jersey!!!!"

Moonbeam - What team do you root for? The Timberwovles?
As for me, I root for the Mets, Jets and Lakers (The Knicks are awful!)
My favorite of the 3 is baseball, then football, and basketball last. I'd much rather play it then watch it.
But, the only sport I'm great at is track. (I was born to run )

nj
again, thanks a lot to you and realjade for forcing me into this... assholes..

.. + + ...: Prequel?

Awesome emoticon use! And this place could use some chicks.

Listyguy
Moonbeam - What team do you root for? The Timberwovles?
As for me, I root for the Mets, Jets and Lakers (The Knicks are awful!)
My favorite of the 3 is baseball, then football, and basketball last. I'd much rather play it then watch it.
But, the only sport I'm great at is track. (I was born to run )

I spurn the Lakers with the hate of 1000 suns! My favorite team is the Portland Trailblazers followed by the Utah Jazz. I also used to like the Seattle Supersonics.

Although I grew up in Detroit and liked the Pistons at an early age, I childishly turned on them when they traded away my hero, Adrian Dantley, when I was 8. That was kind of liberating, though, because I formed my allegiances to teams that I liked purely based on their players/how they played.

Basketball is easily my favorite sport, and a real obsession. I have a convoluted formula to make weekly power rankings, and have a database of every stat of every player who has ever played so I can make advanced stats.

I also like football and hockey, but not nearly as much. Baseball does nothing for me.

Like you, track was my best sport. I did a lot of stuff (100 and 200m sprints, long jump), but principally was a hurdler (300m and 110m) and a relay guy (4x400).

Moonbeam
Although I grew up in Detroit and liked the Pistons at an early age, I childishly turned on them when they traded away my hero, Adrian Dantley, when I was 8.

I remember Dantley's college days at Notre Dame. As I recall, Dantley was on the team that ended UCLA's record win streak. The question for you is - which team was the last team to beat UCLA before it started its streak and who was the star player on that team. Hint - the star player on the other bookend team is not as well known as Dantley.

Henry
Moonbeam
Although I grew up in Detroit and liked the Pistons at an early age, I childishly turned on them when they traded away my hero, Adrian Dantley, when I was 8.

I remember Dantley's college days at Notre Dame. As I recall, Dantley was on the team that ended UCLA's record win streak. The question for you is - which team was the last team to beat UCLA before it started its streak and who was the star player on that team. Hint - the star player on the other bookend team is not as well known as Dantley.

Looking it up, it was also Notre Dame, this time led by Austin Carr!

Moonbeam
Basketball is easily my favorite sport, and a real obsession. I have a convoluted formula to make weekly power rankings, and have a database of every stat of every player who has ever played so I can make advanced stats.

OK - a basketball question for you. What do you make of this Kobe-Lebron one on one debate? I don't get why so many people think Kobe would win. Lebron would own him - as soon as LBJ gets the ball,Kobe would have no chance of stopping his 260 pounds getting to the rim. If 5 guys struggle to contain him,I don't see how one guy could...

It's clearly tactical though,for Kobe to come out and say he'd win easily. Just trying to get under Lebron's skin...

Midaso
Moonbeam

OK - a basketball question for you. What do you make of this Kobe-Lebron one on one debate? I don't get why so many people think Kobe would win. Lebron would own him - as soon as LBJ gets the ball,Kobe would have no chance of stopping his 260 pounds getting to the rim. If 5 guys struggle to contain him,I don't see how one guy could...

It's clearly tactical though,for Kobe to come out and say he'd win easily. Just trying to get under Lebron's skin...

I agree whole-heartedly with you. I think LeBron is also a better defender, when he puts his mind to it.

I'm older than all of you, apparently.

I'm not a big team sports fan anymore, but ... Go (SF) Giants! I play salary cap style fantasy sports games, so I follow players, not teams. Like Moonbeam, I'm a sports stats fanatic. That started in the 60s. When I was a kid (not Kid A), I carried baseball cards around in my back pocket to set my acquaintances straight.

My name is Art. I live in California, well north of Mexico, but not north enough from liberal San Fransicko. My educational background is in Political Science with postgraduate work in Human Biology.

In general, I'm an intolerant sociopath.

Moonbeam
Midaso
Moonbeam

I agree whole-heartedly with you. I think LeBron is also a better defender, when he puts his mind to it.

I'm not too sure about counting Kobe out so quickly for the following reasons:

1) Kobe is probably a better on-ball defender than Lebron and would likely be able to steal the ball on Lebron's dribble much more often than Lebron would be able to do so. You may notice that Lebron's best defensive plays tend to be when he blocks an attempt at the rim - not on-ball defense.

2) Kobe has a better fade away jumper than Lebron and wouldn't have to drive to the hoop as consistently as Lebron would to score.

But even with those two points in Kobe's favor, I tend to agree with the view that Kobe is talking trash to get under Lebron's skin. It is fairly likely that Kobe is now in decline because of his age and injuries. Lebron should be getting better for another 2-3 years. Also, I agree with the earlier stated point that because Lebron is bigger than Kobe and has better hops, Lebron should be able to beat Kobe by backing in to the hoop in a one-on-one game.

oedixideo
I'm older than all of you, apparently.

I'm not a big team sports fan anymore, but ... Go (SF) Giants! I play salary cap style fantasy sports games, so I follow players, not teams. Like Moonbeam, I'm a sports stats fanatic. That started in the 60s. When I was a kid (not Kid A), I carried baseball cards around in my back pocket to set my acquaintances straight.

My name is Art. I live in California, well north of Mexico, but not north enough from liberal San Fransicko. My educational background is in Political Science with postgraduate work in Human Biology.

In general, I'm an intolerant sociopath.

I may be the oldest at 54 (perhaps other than you). I live in the SF Bay Area and have some difficulty getting others to join me when I want to check out a new act live. If you are in the SF Bay Area (and not too much of a sociopath ) let me know if you're interested in checking out some music sometime.

Moonbeam

I spurn the Lakers with the hate of 1000 suns! My favorite team is the Portland Trailblazers followed by the Utah Jazz. I also used to like the Seattle Supersonics.

Although I grew up in Detroit and liked the Pistons at an early age, I childishly turned on them when they traded away my hero, Adrian Dantley, when I was 8. That was kind of liberating, though, because I formed my allegiances to teams that I liked purely based on their players/how they played.

I also like football and hockey, but not nearly as much. Baseball does nothing for me.

Like you, track was my best sport. I did a lot of stuff (100 and 200m sprints, long jump), but principally was a hurdler (300m and 110m) and a relay guy (4x400).

So who do you hate more, the Beatles or the Lakers?
As for track, I've done the 100, 200, Triple Jump and the 200 in the 4x2x2x8 medley.

I'm an enormous sports fan. I prefer the NFL, college football, MLB, and the NBA, in that order. My teams are UGA football (obviously, though this season has been a disaster), the Braves, and the Lakers (used to live in California, now I live in Georgia, and it's not like I'm going to follow the Hawks).

I don't have a favorite NFL team even though I follow it compulsively. Football is by far my favorite sport to watch, though baseball is my favorite sport to attend live and follow statistically. I also love fantasy baseball and football, though my performance in the AMF league was dreadful (I finished 4th out of 6 teams despite winning my other two larger leagues). There's always next year.

By the way, LeBron could definitely beat Kobe one-on-one. His size advantage would be too much.

Jackson- Being you're a Brave's fan you probably hate the Mets, right? I hate the Braves too, but I hate the Phillies a lot more.

Also, does anyone know wether it was Kobe or LeBron that got dunked off of by some kid, hten whined about the video? I can't remember which one.

Listyguy

Also, does anyone know wether it was Kobe or LeBron that got dunked off of by some kid, hten whined about the video? I can't remember which one.

Lebron was,at a kid's basketball camp. And then Kobe made fun of it. The video of it was removed...

I though it was LeBron, he has more of an ego than Kobe.

I though it was LeBron, he has more of an ego than Kobe.

Listyguy
Jackson- Being you're a Brave's fan you probably hate the Mets, right? I hate the Braves too, but I hate the Phillies a lot more.

It was Jamal Crawford the year he sat out after tranferring from Indiana to Xavier and LeBron did whine and cry like lil bitch about it. By the way, I think Kevin Durrant could beat both Kobe and LeBron one on one and he will be the MVP of the league this year.

Slick
It was Jamal Crawford the year he sat out after tranferring from Indiana to Xavier and LeBron did whine and cry like lil bitch about it. By the way, I think Kevin Durrant could beat both Kobe and LeBron one on one and he will be the MVP of the league this year.

Oh right,I got the story slightly wrong.

Yeah,might be right about Durant. That Thunder side will be one to watch in the next few years. With a bit of luck,they could have won that series against the Lakers last season...

meh. boring.. skipping myself all the way to the first MLS playoff results..

Midaso

Oh right,I got the story slightly wrong.

Yeah,might be right about Durant. That Thunder side will be one to watch in the next few years. With a bit of luck,they could have won that series against the Lakers last season...

This brings up a question I have. As an American, I've only ever heard groups of players playing together referred to as teams. What is the origin of using the word "side"?

nj
meh. boring.. skipping all the way to the first MLS playoff results..

Moonbeam T5 Sports:

1. Basketball
2. American Football
3. Various Olympic sports (ski jump, diving, luge, gymnastics, track and field)
4. Hockey
5. Tennis

6. Ghana

psedit: and my t5.. oh wait, we're not on Fessebook anymore, aren't we? sheesh, i don't want to give away any spoilers, but..

here goes the appetizer..:

#xx: team handball (completely uninterested in this sport, but whenever it's on tv, it ALWAYS succeeds to suck me in...)

nj
6. Ghana

Well, if we were ranking individual teams regardless of sport, they'd be higher.

OK, time for more confessions of geekdom! I'm also an avid list-maker, even having made a list of my favorite letters of the alphabet.

So, here is a list of favorites, most of which are rather trivial!

Color: Yellow
Number: 8
Letter: V
Word: ubiquitous
Language (other than your native tongue): Spanish
Animal (domestic): dog
Animal (wild): rhinoceros
Prehistoric Creature: archeocete
Season: summer
Month: July
Day of the Week: Thursday
Date: June 25th
Time of Day: 8:42
Holiday: Thanksgiving
Cuisine: Indian
Meal: Penne with Tomato, Onion, Green Pepper and Sauce
Beverage: Pineapple Juice
Musical Artist: Prince
Album: Prince- 1999
Song: Prince- "Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)"
Movie: Edward Scissorhands
Actress: Sigourney Weaver
TV Show: The Wonder Years
Cartoon: Tiny Toon Adventures
Miniseries: The Last Days of Pompeii
Novel: 1984 by George Orwell
Author: Michael Crichton
Play: Othello
Playwright: William Shakespeare
Fictional Character: Mr. Rush from the Mr. Men series
Visual Artist: Salvador Dali
Model: Naomi Campbell
News Anchor: Dave Schwartz
Comic Strip: Calvin and Hobbes
Video Game: Bubble Bobble
Video Game Console: NES
Website other than AM: www.basketball-reference.com
Sport: Basketball
Sports Team: Portland Trailblazers
Athlete: Adrian Dantley
Coach: Jerry Sloan
Continent: Africa
Country (in which you haven't lived): Czech Republic
State/Province/Region of each Country where you have lived: US: Utah, Australia: New South Wales, Mexico: Oaxaca
Big City: Chicago
Planet: Saturn
Satellite: Our moon
Political Figure: Rutherford B. Hayes
Thing to Collect: Basketball cards
Gemstone: Emerald
Jewelry Item: Ring

Moonbeam
OK, time for more confessions of geekdom! I'm also an avid list-maker, even having made a list of my favorite letters of the alphabet.

Video Game: Bubble Bobble [!!!]
Video Game Console: NES [i still can't stand the tinny color scale... give me some diminished Gameboy greenish any day]

nj
Moonbeam

Video Game: Bubble Bobble [!!!]
Video Game Console: NES [i still can't stand the tinny color scale... give me some diminished Gameboy greenish any day]

I love the colors on NES! The colors in Bubble Bobble 2 alone are just awesome!

My brother and I call these the Lovesexy levels. So lush! Look at those iridescent waterfalls!

Moonbeam

Great,great show - Fred Savage was amazing in it for someone so young. Have no idea what happened to him since though,apart from seeing him in one of the Austin Powers movies

I've got no idea where the 'side' term comes from,never really thought about it...

BTW,do you like cricket at all(or any of the big sports in Australia?) - that India/Australia test match the other day had a fantastic finish...

Midaso
Moonbeam

Great,great show - Fred Savage was amazing in it for someone so young. Have no idea what happened to him since though,apart from seeing him in one of the Austin Powers movies

I've got no idea where the 'side' term comes from,never really thought about it...

BTW,do you like cricket at all(or any of the big sports in Australia?) - that India/Australia test match the other day had a fantastic finish...

My father-in-law loves cricket and I somewhat understand it now, but I don't watch it often. Same goes for rugby, although Australia has like 3 different versions.

Moonbeam
Movie: Edward Scissorhands
You should participate in the "Films of the '90s" poll and help your favorite make it to the finale this round.

Hi there, I'm currently living in Columbus, Ohio, but my roots got silently out of hand: quarter Irish/Jamaican, the rest did some guy from Barbados (lolz). I really like this site. Keep up the good work, Henrik, too bad Night Nurse won't do any better than 2300 - but i'mma keep on waiting

because i'm a well-trained drafter