Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gram Parsons

I have a question for the statistical experts here. Where would Gram Parsons rank on the all time artists lists if he also got credit for the albums he made with The Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers (both of which he took a lead role in creating).

Here are "his" ranked albums

Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel (121)
The Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin (156)
The Byrds - Sweetheart Of The Rodeo (167)
Gram Parsons - GP (378)
The Flying Burrito Brothers - Burrito Deluxe (bubbling)

I think adding two more albums in the all time top 200 - which would better reflect his true accomplishment as an artist - would really boost his rating.

Re: Gram Parsons

I've often thought this too. With a total of 4 albums in the top 500, 3 of which are in the top 200, I'd have to say Parsons would come out (off the top of my head) in the 20s or 30s for album artists.

Yeah I see...in the same vein I don't understand why NICK CAVE benefits from GRINDERMAN's album and single! Both should stand separetely or then, you'll have to include THE BIRTHDAY PARTY's points as well...

Including songs from Sweetheart of the Rodeo as well, Parsons would be ranked 65th, just behind Tom Waits.

Nick Cave doesn't benefit from the album, but he does benefit slightly from the single off Grinderman. If it were removed he'd drop four spots to 82nd, just slightly ahead of Buddy Holly. On the other hand, if Henrik were to add The Birthday Party to Cave's repertoire he'd climb to 74th.

Stephan...if Blind Faith, Cream and Derek and The Dominoes were all added to Eric Clapton's total, where would he rank?

Also, Lou Reed + The Velvet Underground...any clue?

Eric Clapton would rocket up the rankings if all those were combined, to a #32 spot, slightly ahead of James Brown.

The Velvet Underground is already ranked very high, but if we add Lou Reed's solo stuff they'd replace Led Zeppelin as the #5 artist. And they'd be pretty close to Bowie, quite the achievement.

One I have always been very curious about: and if Joy Division and New Order had been counted as the same band?

New Division would be placed at #13 on the all-time rankings, right in between The Beach Boys and The Velvet Underground.

Something else that's pretty interesting; I think we can all agree that Smile would be (if anything) as highly acclaimed if it were released by The Beach Boys as the version now released by Brian Wilson. So, if we add that to The Beach Boys' resume they'd be ranked #10. However, if we assume that it'd be much higher acclaimed (which isn't an unrealistic assumption), let's say top 50, they'd be #6 of all-time.

Stephan
Something else that's pretty interesting; I think we can all agree that Smile would be (if anything) as highly acclaimed if it were released by The Beach Boys as the version now released by Brian Wilson. So, if we add that to The Beach Boys' resume they'd be ranked #10. However, if we assume that it'd be much higher acclaimed (which isn't an unrealistic assumption), let's say top 50, they'd be #6 of all-time.

Cool. That is interesting. Good work.