The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Beatle's Songs

100 greatest Dylan songs could make for a fantastic book.

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" is the most overrated song of all time.

Loophole

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" is the most overrated song of all time.

Or it's definitely in contention. Critics, especially in the US, seem to include it purely on the basis that it launched The Beatles worldwide, was the first British invasion song, and cemented their place in British pop royalty. They seem to forget that it was, in fact, She Loves You which did all of those things, as well as having the catapulting drum intro, thumping chorus and faint-inducing 'oohs' to take audiences on a thrill ride which defined the early Beatles.

I would end side 1 one Sgt. Pepper with Strawberry Fields Forever, and open side 2 with Penny Lane.

And I think the Imagine is the most overrated song ever.

I had thought of the following tracklist:

1) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2) With a Little Help From My Friends
3) Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
4) Getting Better
5) Fixing a Hole
6) Strawberry Fields Forever (with another John song in the album they wouldn't put 3 Macca songs in a row like in the original)
7) Lovely Rita
8) Penny Lane
9) Within You Without You
10) Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
11) She's Leaving Home
12) Good Morning Good Morning
13) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
14) A Day in the Life

This would fit their tradition of putting 14 songs in each album, and with the inclusion of another Paul song, When I'm Sixty Four could have been released only as a B Side of some another single.
Listyguy's idea is another plausible one, maybe the most likely to have happened.
I don't know if the album would be generally considered the best of all time, but surely it would compete in an equal level with Revolver for the status of best Beatles' album.

And, yes, I think She Loves You is the song that should receive all the praise given to I Want to Hold Your hand. Not only for its importance, but, mainly, for its incredible quality.

I think that logic about singles making albums better could apply to the Stones too.
Imagine Beggar's Banquet with "Jumpin Jack Flash" or Let it Bleed with "Honkey Tonk Women"?