Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unacclaimed Song Game: Rules, Signup and Discussion!

OK, here is my submittal. I was battling over deciding between a few songs, with the pressure to pick one that might have more universal appeal.

So I choose the underheard perfect quirky indie pop tune.

Fiery Furnaces - Here Comes the Summer

from the 2005 record "EP", which contains more gems, a little tighter and more melodious that the ambitious sprawling Blueberry Boat recorded around the same time.

this is going great guys.
I'm gonna stick with one of my favourite songs, which is "New" by No Doubt. Hear it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIvAx8oHUrM
Being their most underrated single, from their unnaclaimed "Return of Saturn"(even though it is their best rated album in allmusic.com). Basically, not sounding like anything they had done in the past, New managed to remain true to the layback feeling of the band; helped by its amazing music video and obvious New Wave inspiration, this is trully No Doubt at their best.
Sorry if I make some grammar mistakes, but English is not my native language. JAJA

I nominate:

Jars of Clay, "Liquid"

I got to see Jars of Clay at an Atlanta music festival (Atlantafest) around 1994, before they had achieved any level of success. They were on the "underground" stage, and "Liquid" was their opening song. The sheer force of the song blew me away, all the more amazingly because it's acoustic!

Side note: "Liquid" was produced by Adrian Belew (King Crimson)

By the way, make sure you have good speakers...there's a lot going on in this song.

I nominate: Why?- These Few Presidents

I love the mood, humor and tone of this song. I don't like much else by Why? but this is one of the best songs of the past 10 years.

Alopecia is 2437 on AM, so that's not eligable.

I'm happy to announce that nominations are open to everyone again! Keeping a spot for John, that means that there are 38 spots in the books, and another 26 to be filled!

I know which one I want, The Bellrays - Footprints On The Water, but I'm having trouble finding a link to it. The only thing I can find on Youtube is a live show with poor audio quality. Anyone know other good places I can look?

If no good link can be found for it my second choice is The Tallest Man On Earth - The Gardener.

BillAdama
Anyone know other good places I can look?

Here are a few places I also look:

Dailymotion
Hypem
Myspace

Found it on Youtube. Whoever put it up misspelled it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4LalRkCtU

BillAdama
Alopecia is 2437 on AM, so that's not eligable.

Wow, I'm surprised it's on there...

Alright, new nomination

The Jayhawks- Will I Be Married (Blue Earth)

One of my favorite Jayhawks songs off an album I can't believe isn't a bubbler considering everything else of theirs during their peak is there. Best country band... ever.

I forgot that I've got a top-20 favorite song that would fit the bill, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' "(I'll Love You) Till the End of the World." But Nick Cave gets enough love here.

I want to highlight a band I think is somewhat slighted on AM. Shudder to Think only have a single bubbling album, the difficult and fantastic Pony Express Record. In the late 90's, they did some amazing work on the soundtracks for three movies: High Art, Velvet Goldmine, and First Love, Last Rites. The last two showcased an incredible talent for creating songs in the styles of other artists. They contributed two Ziggy Stardus-esque originals for Velvet Goldmine, including the incredible "Hot One."

But for First Love, Last Rites, they took pastiche to another level. They were asked by the director to create a set of original songs that might sound like they were singles from the 1960's. They wind up aping a variety of different styles. A number of guest vocalists were recruited, including Billy Corgan, Nina Persson, Liz Phair, Robin Zander, and John Doe. The best song on the album featured Jeff Buckley:

My 2d nomination: Shudder to Think (feat. Jeff Buckley) - "I Want Someone Badly"

Ok,this song is probably well-known among British indie fans(it was voted the #1 single of '92 in John Peel's influential festive 50 list) but generally they are pretty overlooked:

Bang Bang Machine - Geek Love

Gotta get a plug in for my beloved Game Theory. Here's "Erica's Word", the single from 1985's THE BIG SHOT CHRONICLES:

FUN GAME: After listening to "Erica's Word," listen to "You Gotta Feel It," track 11 on Spoon's KILL THE MOONLIGHT. You just might be surprised.

OK, I add what I think is the strangest omission by the critics...

Visage - Fade to Grey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgd9ycdOsIw&feature=related

Larry
I nominate:

Jars of Clay, "Liquid"

I got to see Jars of Clay at an Atlanta music festival (Atlantafest) around 1994, before they had achieved any level of success. They were on the "underground" stage, and "Liquid" was their opening song. The sheer force of the song blew me away, all the more amazingly because it's acoustic!

Side note: "Liquid" was produced by Adrian Belew (King Crimson)

By the way, make sure you have good speakers...there's a lot going on in this song.

Excellent choice, Larry! This is my favourite Jars of Clay song.

When I went to see them in concert (around 2003), they did not play "Liquid," the song I was most looking forward to hearing :(

I am having troubles viewing the link you posted, and it would be a shame if others aren't able to hear it, so, in case I'm not the only one the video isn't working for, I found a working link to the song on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAFEsINZ0Ck&ob=av2e

I have a lot of candidates for my second pick, ranging from another Prince song to favorites by artists I regularly trumpet around here, but I'm going to go with something else. My pick is "Dazzle" by Siouxsie and the Banshees. For as much as The Cure are appreciated around here (and justifiably so, might I add!), it surprises me how little attention Siouxsie and the Banshees get. I think they're viewed as a fun punk band, but they had such a breadth of sound and talent and weren't afraid to stretch themselves.

"Dazzle" is the most roaringly beautiful sound of triumph that I've ever heard. When Siouxsie sings "Pull some strings, let them siiiiiing", the song just soars! With a lush string orchestration and unrelenting power, its story sort of belies the sound. Says Siouxsie: "The sentiment behind it is of lying in the gutter but still looking up at the stars. I’d seen ‘Marathon Man’, and I was really intrigued by the guy swallowing diamonds to keep them, and then realising it was like swallowing glass - that they would pass through his system and tear him apart. So that’s the line - ‘Swallowing diamonds, cutting throats’." Oh, and the music video is pretty ace, too!

For my second nomination I'll go with a song from my favorite album that's not on AM, The Alan Parsons Project's "Eye In The Sky". It has several great songs, but the standout track is the fantastic ballad Old and Wise. First heard it at a funeral of all places, where it does fit perfectly, but it's amazing at any occasion.

My second nomination is "Behind the Lines" by Genesis. This song was on the "Duke" album, which does not appear to on the AM top 3000 or bubbler list.

This song has an unconventional meter (7 beats per measure) and includes a long but interesting instrumental introduction with Tony Banks' considerable creative talents on display as well as skillful Collins drum work. The Collins vocals and lyrics are also captivating.

The song can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Vxf9bN6eo

Thought of some band we talked about in the "non acclaimed artists" thread, mostly Beat Happening and Electrelane.
Also thought of Tribute by Tenacious D and Issues by Flight of the Conchords to bring some laughters in the game (+ they really are great songs musically speaking... the whole Flight of the Conchords video is just hilarious)

But I will end up all Pitchforky, hesitating between 2 "Pitchfork 500" songs : Bright Eyes - The Calendar Hung Itself, and the one I finally choose to nominate :
Stereolab - French Disko

And here is a great live performance of that song.

Hey Moonbeam,

I just tried my link, and it looks like it's broken. Could you replace it with this youtube link? Sorry about that...I couldn't actually view the original link at the time... :(

new link for Jars of Clay, "Liquid"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Ys0mksl_k

Thanks!

i'm somehow a multiple legged sucker for Nirvana (love & hate & love 2 hate & stuff, you know), so Rainbow Chaser's on my menu card, at the bottom of the fruit de mer section..

Larry
Hey Moonbeam,

I just tried my link, and it looks like it's broken. Could you replace it with this youtube link? Sorry about that...I couldn't actually view the original link at the time... :(

Thanks!

Strangely enough, I got your first link to work but can't get this one, as it seems to be blocked in my country!

Moonbeam
Larry
Hey Moonbeam,

Thanks!

Strangely enough, I got your first link to work but can't get this one, as it seems to be blocked in my country!

Well, I guess we could post both then...

I already love that Nirvana more than Cobain's nj, great song.

Can't wait to see this tournament organized and start listening.

I'm glad there's space for a second selection (or am I too late... maximum 64 right?).

My second choice is something that I think would sound a little off-kilter to those not exposed to Deerhoof, but it touches a really happy place inside of me.

Deerhoof - Milk Man

Deerhoof built up enough buzz to have their 2005 album Runners Four and 2006 Friend Opportunity get to the bubbling under level, but this title track from their 2004 album serves as what I think is their most fundamental musical statement. I'll save more thoughts for later when it's put into competition. Enjoy!

p.s. The youtube clip was cut off at the end so I provided a Hype Machine link

I also though of nominate a Girly Sound track! Especially: White Babies, 6 DIck Pimp, Ant in Alaska, Gigalo, Love Song and In Love With Yourself. I'll save some of them for the next round! It's pretty hard to me to pick underrated songs, because almost everything i have is AM certificated, the artist, song or album (bubbling under counting)

If there's room for my second nomination, it's Mark Joseph's Lady Lady

Like my first nomination, I have a better version in my music collection. The original version I have preserves the song's authenticity with every sound on it made and arranged by Joseph. This version I found on Youtube is after some American producer has got hold of his album and made him change the lyrics, rearrange and rerecord it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANhuIwcgbdI

Now that we have our songs, please let me know how you feel the tournament should be run here.