Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment

Are you ready for a few powerhouse matchups???

The Rolling Stones vs. Radiohead
Talking Heads vs. The Beastie Boys
David Bowie vs. Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bruce Springsteen vs. Marvin Gaye
Led Zeppelin vs. Johhny Cash
Prince vs. Queen
The Beatles vs. Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan vs. Michael Jackson

Re: 6.2...

Bill Adama's votes off his rankings...

Radiohead
Talking Heads
Bowie
Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
Beatles
Dylan

The Rolling Stones
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Johhny Cash
Prince - surprisingly,the only one I had to really think about...
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Stones (Damn!)
Heads
CCR (DAMN!)
Boss
Zep
Queen (All Time Fave)
Bealtes (Damn Damn!)
MJ (DAMN DAMN!)

RADIOHEAD--
This is the matchup a lot of people have been waiting for. These are two of my top 15 bands, but in the end Radiohead is one of my few favs left and I can not vote against them, even for The Stones...

BEASTIE BOYS--
Could change my mind on a different day, today its The Beasties...

BOWIE--
If you beat The Smiths, you better beat CCR!!!

SPRINGSTEEN--
Very difficult decision...

LED ZEPPELIN--
This one is just as tough as The Stones/Radiohead. Just can't vote against Zep...

PRINCE--
Slowly becoming my choice to win the whole thing!!!

FLOYD--
I know, I voted for OutKast & Marley against them in the past 2 rounds, but I made up my mind that I do not want The Beatles to win and will not vote for them the rest of the way. Unless they somehow match up against The Velvet Underground!!!

DYLAN--
How about Dylan/Beatles possibility next round. Alot of people have them 1/2 on their personal lists!!!

The Rolling Stones
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan

Radiohead
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD LEVEL
1. The Beatles

AWESOME LEVEL
2. Radiohead
3. The Rolling Stones
4. David Bowie
5. Bob Dylan
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Bruce Springsteen
8. Talking Heads
9. Prince
10. Pink Floyd
11. Beastie Boys

REALLY GOOD LEVEL
12. Johnny Cash
13. Marvin Gaye
14. Michael Jackson
15. Creedence Clearwater Revival
16. Queen

The most difficult matchup by far is The Rolling Stones versus Radiohead. On one hand, The Stones have a long list of great singles that only a handful of bands can rival, and as great as Radiohead are, they really aren't known as a singles band. Also, The Stones have some of the best albums in all of rock music, Let it Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, and Some Girls are all masterpieces in my opinion. However, Radiohead have created some of the most sublimely beautiful music ever. They have their own set of masterpieces that arguably surpass The Rolling Stone's set. The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, and In Rainbows are all undeniably incredible, and even Hail to the Thief (their weakest non-Pablo Honey album) is better than most bands best works. Radiohead literally changed everything about music. To discuss the raw emotional impact of their music begs for hyperbole. Kid A sounds like music died and went to heaven. It sounds like the soundtrack to enlightenment. As Pitchfork said, comparing other albums to Kid A is like comparing a blue sheet of construction paper to an aquarium. The Rolling Stones may be one of the most influential bands of all time, but nowhere in their lengthy discography do they have the immense paradigm shifts that Radiohead cranked out between 1995 and 2000. So yes, while Radiohead may have a few songs that can stand up to "Satisfaction" or "Gimme Shelter" or "Sympathy for the Devil", overall their song catalog is more in depth, creative, beautiful, consistent, and different than The Stones. Radiohead have the better albums, and aside from a few of the best singles from The Stones, they have the better songs as well. So that's why I'm awarding my vote to Radiohead.

Nick, awesome argument. You basically said what I was thinking in comparing those two bands.

Radiohead
Beastie Boys (favourite remaining artists)
David Bowie
pass
Led Zeppelin
Queen
The Beatles
Michael Jackson

Great argument Nick, I suggest everyone who loves both the Stones and Radiohead to consider it. I also find Talking Heads vs Beasties to be a very difficult match-up. On one hand I love the Talking Heads, on the other, me and my friends basically want to be the beastie boys.

Radiohead
Beastie Boys
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Johhny Cash
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Beatles vs Dylan is always an exciting one.

Oh god...

Radiohead (18) vs Rolling Stones (17)

This one was awful, mainly because, if I had known more Rolling Stones albums, they might've beaten Radiohead. I was having a random conversation on facebook where I was discussing Radiohead and I rated their albums a la Pitchfork -

the bends - 7.9
ok computer - 8.6
kid a - 9.7
amnesiac - 9.9
hail to the thief - 8.8
in rainbows - 8.4

now the three Rolling Stones albums (BB, EOMS, LIB) I've heard slot in somewhere between kid a and hail to the thief. If I'd heard Sticky Fingers, who knows where this match up would go?

Talking Heads 19 vs Beastie Boys 15

Talking Heads are just one of my favourites. Beastie Boys are quite unlucky, I'm just getting into them now as well.

David Bowie 19 vs CCR 15

I LOVE Cosmo's Factory, it has real all-american heart. But CCR against Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes and Scary Monsters?

Bruce Springsteen 19 vs Marvin Gaye 14

I first heard Born To Run for the 2010 songs poll. Since then I've listened to Darkness on the Edge Of Town, The Wild..., The River, Nebraska and Born In The USA, and I'm quite convinced that that's the best 6 album run anywhere. Marvin Gaye, I quite like, but it just doesn't hit me like Bruce.

Led Zep 16 vs Johnny Cash 14
I only hurt Johnny Cash's version of Hurt a week ago, and I must've heard it 10 times since. At Folsom Prison I really like as well. For Led Zep, I've listened to IV (and I love it). I'm afraid this is an influence vote, because I don't really know the artists as well as I should.

Prince 17 vs Queen 3
For Prince, I love Sign o the Times and Purple Rain and am getting into 1999. For Queen I liked one song (don't stop me now) until my class at school decided to cover that song for the "Battle of the bands". Hearing it 5 times in a row is enough to make anyone chop their ears off.

The Beatles 19 vs Pink Floyd 14
The Beatles, well they're the Beatles. Pink Floyd strike me as really self-indulgent, bordering on pretentious.

Bob Dylan 20 vs Michael Jackson 15
Again, no chance. Listening to Desolation Row when you can't sleep is my favourite musical feeling. Michael Jackson just can't compete.

Favourite Artist: Bob Dylan
FNVF: The Stones
Favourite Album: Highway 61, or Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Favourite Song: Tomorrow Never Knows

Radiohead
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Radiohead
Talking Heads
David Bowie (I'm suprised CCR made it this far. For a band as influencial as they are they never got much of a cult following like Skynard or the Allman Brothers. Hopefully they get their kudos in the 10s)
Bruce Springsteen (Gaye has killed off 3 Alternative rock legends so far. His reign of terror needs to end ;-)
Led Zeppelin
Prince
the Beatles
Bob Dylan

Winners in bold.

Favorite artist ever!

1. Prince

Awesome (in my top 25)

2. David Bowie

Very good (in my top 100)
3. Michael Jackson
4. Talking Heads

Good (in my top 200)

5. Radiohead
6. The Beastie Boys

Decent (I generally like their output, but am not passionate about any of it)

7. Marvin Gaye
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival

OK (I like a few songs, dislike a few, but I tend to respect such artists)

9. Bruce Springsteen

Not for me (I may like a few songs, but I tend to dislike more)

10. The Rolling Stones
11. Bob Dylan
12. Johnny Cash
13. Led Zeppelin

Scrate awful (in my bottom 100)

14. Queen
15. The Beatles: I never thought this tournament could produce a mathcup where I would vote for The Beatles, but it did...
16. Pink Floyd

These were all surprisingly easy choices for a round this late in the game.

The Rolling Stones
The Beastie Boys
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Queen
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Marvin Gaye
Johnny Cash
Prince
Beatles
Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones - and that makes 6 votes not for Radiohead... ;)
Talking Heads
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zepplin
Prince - OUCH!! I hate to vote against Queen, but it's Prince...
The Beatles
Michael Jackson

Radiohead
Beastie Boys
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Johnny Cash
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

The Rolling Stones
Talking Heads (they don't deserve to be in the final 16 as far as I'm concerned, but I prefer them the Beasties)
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen (I'd rather see Marvin in the top 16 than The Talking Heads)
Led Zeppelin
Prince
The Beatles (one down for Moonbeam - I prefer Pink Floyd to the Talking Heads)
Bob Dylan

RADIOHEAD 20 Rolling Stones 16
TALKING HEADS 16 Beastie Boys 15
DAVID BOWIE 20 CCR 13
Bruce 14 GAYE 15
LED ZEP 19 Johnny Cash 15
Prince 14 QUEEN 15
THE BEATLES 20 Pink Floyd 15
Bob Dylan 13 MICHAEL JACKSON 18

Rolling stones
The Beastie Boys
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Johnny Cash
Prince
The Beatles
Michael Jackson

Radiohead
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Some of these matchups were quite painful (and not just the first one).

The Rolling Stones vs. Radiohead (to me, the easiest choice this week)
Talking Heads vs. The Beastie Boys
David Bowie vs. Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bruce Springsteen vs. Marvin Gaye
Led Zeppelin vs. Johhny Cash
Prince vs. Queen
The Beatles vs. Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan vs. Michael Jackson

Radiohead (A matchup like this so early... I'm sorry Stones.)
Talking Heads
Creedence Clearwater Revival (Again, two of my darlings. I'll choose the underdog.)
Bruce Springsteen
Johnny Cash (Close)
Queen (Also quite close)
Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan

RADIOHEAD OVER THE ROLLING STONES
Here’s how this matchup looks to me:

1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Let It Bleed
5. Exile on Main St
6. In Rainbows
7. Amnesiac
8. Sticky Fingers
9. The Bends
10. Some Girls

By my count, the AM vote is now 14-9 for Radiohead. I’m pretty sure that won’t be enough.

TALKING HEADS OVER BEASTIE BOYS
In the bohemian New Yorkers division, I know which group I’d rather hang out with, but I’m voting for the other one. It’s kind of too bad that there will be (yes?) some voters who go against the B-Boys in knee-jerk anti-“rap” fashion.

DAVID BOWIE OVER CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
At last, a pairing where my tastes will dovetail perfectly with the vast majority of voters, both AM and the dreaded non-.

MARVIN GAYE OVER BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
When an artist has a long career, it’s necessary to reinvent from time to time. Marvin’s wasn’t as long as Bruce’s is turning out to be, but he reimagined and innovated much, much more successfully.

JOHNNY CASH OVER LED ZEPPELIN
They’re both cartoons (and I say that with no disrespect). But I’ll go to At Folsom Prison over IV 10 times out of 10.

PRINCE OVER QUEEN
In the gender-bending-rock-stars-named-after-royalty division, it’s a clear…oh, shut up, schleuse. Easy pick for me, although I expect Queen will make it close.

THE BEATLES OVER PINK FLOYD
It took Radiohead to make me appreciate Pink Floyd. Nobody ever had to make me appreciate the Beatles.

BOB DYLAN OVER MICHAEL JACKSON
Don’t talk to me about who’s the better singer—both of these guys are better known for vocal tics than for crooning. Dylan beats MJ in the categories of songwriting, self-mythologizing, intelligence, career length and sheer coolness. MJ beats Dylan in the category of dancing.

schleuse

1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Let It Bleed
5. Exile on Main St
6. In Rainbows
7. Amnesiac
8. Sticky Fingers
9. The Bends
10. Some Girls

No offense Schleuse to use you as an example,but when you have guys 40+ voting for Radiohead over the Stones,THAT'S when you know the Stones are in trouble...

Radiohead (That could have gone either way)
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Radiohead
Talking Heads
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Bruce Springsteen
Johhny Cash
Prince
The Beatles
Michael Jackson

Favorite not voted for: Beastie Boys, but only few could win against the Heads.

Midaso
schleuse

1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Let It Bleed
5. Exile on Main St
6. In Rainbows
7. Amnesiac
8. Sticky Fingers
9. The Bends
10. Some Girls

No offense Schleuse to use you as an example,but when you have guys 40+ voting for Radiohead over the Stones,THAT'S when you know the Stones are in trouble...

Then of course there's Listguy (is he 15 yet?) choosing the Stones over Radiohead

schleuse

It took Radiohead to make me appreciate Pink Floyd. Nobody ever had to make me appreciate the Beatles.

Is that a hint for Moonbeam?

Henry
schleuse

Is that a hint for Moonbeam?

I guess the problem is that the Radiohead songs that are more akin to Pink Floyd are the ones I don't like.

Rolling Stones - Not based on albums... but I rate artists on singles also. THis is obviously a very close call
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Prince
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

Fave - Beatles

Fave not voted for - Radiohead

Winners in 6.2...
Radiohead 51.2% / The Rolling Stones 48.8%
Talking Heads 53.7% / Beastie Boys 46.3%
David Bowie 70.7% / CCR 29.3%
Bruce Springsteen 70% / Marvin Gaye 30%
Led Zeppelin 63.4% / Johnny Cash 36.6%
Prince 73.2% / Queen 26.8%
The Beatles 78% / Pink Floyd 22%
Bob Dylan 68.3% / Michael Jackson 31.7%

Slick
Winners in 6.2...

WHAT AN UPSET!!! THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN WHEN THE GIANTS BEAT THE PATRIOTS IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!

Everything else is pretty chalk, the only real question was Talking Heads vs Beastie Boys, both of whom are worthy champs.

SR
Slick
Winners in 6.2...

WHAT AN UPSET!!! THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN WHEN THE GIANTS BEAT THE PATRIOTS IN THE SUPERBOWL!!!

Everything else is pretty chalk, the only real question was Talking Heads vs Beastie Boys, both of whom are worthy champs.

Damn it! So close! Being I'm a Jets fan, I will agree with that.

You're a Jets fan? Does that mean you're from New York/New Jersey? If so, what part?

I'm from LI.
You?

From North/Central Jersey, currently located in College Park, MD.

Listyguy
I'm from LI.
You?

I went to Undergrad at SUNY at Stony Brook and used to work in East Hills (near Roslyn and Mineola). I had a girlfriend in Northport for about 6 months. Where do you live on Long Island?

SR
You're a Jets fan? Does that mean you're from New York/New Jersey? If so, what part?

I've been a Jets fan since 1968. They are overdue for another Super Bowl victory. They were not going far without Revis.

Henry
Listyguy
I'm from LI.
You?

I went to Undergrad at SUNY at Stony Brook and used to work in East Hills (near Roslyn and Mineola). I had a girlfriend in Northport for about 6 months. Where do you live on Long Island?

Get outta town! I got my master's from Stony Brook!

Henry
SR

I've been a Jets fan since 1968. They are overdue for another Super Bowl victory. They were not going far without Revis.

They finally got him!
It only took 36 days.

schleuse
Henry

I went to Undergrad at SUNY at Stony Brook and used to work in East Hills (near Roslyn and Mineola).

Get outta town! I got my master's from Stony Brook!

Exactly!!!
I left town after undergrad and got my ME at Stanford. I've been in the SF Bay Area every since (33 years)

Another point of trivia - Mark Zuckerberg went to middle school with my nephews in my home town of Ardsley, NY - when Mark lived in Dobbs Ferry.

Radiohead
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Bruce Springsteen
Led Zeppelin
Queen
The Beatles
Michael Jackson

The Rolling Stones
Talking Heads