The Beatles vs. Kanye West
Miles Davis vs. Tears For Fears
Pink Floyd vs. OutKast
Bob Marley vs. Blondie
Bob Dylan vs. Eminem
Sam Cooke vs. The Byrds
Michael Jackson vs. Abba
Billy Joel vs. The Killers vs. XTC

Barring any ties today, we will have the final 65 (one tie in rd. #4) which will start on Sunday. I am going to rank the final 65 according to their original seed. The plan is to be down to the sweet 16 on Labor day (Sept. 6th) and crown a champion on Sept. 9th...

Re: UMT 4.8...

The Beatles (ouch)
Miles Davis
OutKast
Blondie
Bob Dylan
pass
Michael Jackson
pass

Favourite: Bob Dylan
FNVF: Kanye West
Fav Album: Highway 61 Revisited
Fav Song: Tomorrow Never Knows/Desolation Row

Beatles
Miles
Floyd
Blondie (Seeing her soon!)
Bob
Sam
MJ
Billy

Fave: Beatles
FNVF: Marley
Fave Song: Strawberry Fields Forever
Fave Album: Abbey Road, The Stranger, Blonde on Blonde

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
Michael Jackson
Billy Joel

BEATLES--
I am almost tempted to take Kanye here since I do not want The Beatles to win the whole thing...

TFF--
I love Miles, but I really enjoy Tears For Fears and want to see this close...

OutKast--
This one pains me, I do not want to vote against Floyd but I enjoy Andre & Big Boi just a little bit more...

MARLEY--
I'm not sure if there is another artist that fits right in with every kind of music style and genre any smoother than Marley does...

DYLAN--
Potential Dylan/Beatles powerhouse matchup on the horizon...

SAM COOKE--
3 years ago I never would have voted Sam Cooke this far, but I have really gotten into his music over the past few years and all I have to say is Amazing...

MJ--
Why couldn't Floyd or OutKast be in this matchup!!!

THE KILLERS--
This is strictly on personal choice, I like Billy a little and XTC alot and perhaps either of them deserve a vote, but The Killers have been one of my favorite bands over the past 6 years...

The Beatles 20, Kanye West 15
Miles Davis 19, Tears for Fears 12
OutKast 18, Pink Floyd 15
Blondie 16, Bob Marley 12
Bob Dylan 19, Eminem 15
Sam Cooke 16, The Byrds 13
Michael Jackson 15, ABBA 14
XTC 17, The Killers 12, Billy Joel 5

The Beatles
Miles Davis
OutKast
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
Michael Jackson
XTC

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
Sam Cooke
ABBA (this one was close)
XTC

The Beatles 20 - Kanye West 18
-
Outkast 19 - Pink Floyd 15
Bob Marley 19 - Blondie 16
Eminem 17 - Bob Dylan 10
-
Michael Jackson 19 - ABBA 16
The Killers 17 - XTC 15 - Billy Joel 12

Wow, insane round. To vote down Kanye, Pink Floyd, Blondie and ABBA

The Beatles
Tears For Fears
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
Michael Jackson
XTC

The Beatles 20 vs. Kanye West 0
Miles Davis 18 vs. Tears For Fears 5
Pink Floyd 10 vs. OutKast 18
Bob Marley 15 vs. Blondie 13
Bob Dylan 20 vs. Eminem 3
Sam Cooke 15 vs. The Byrds 13
Michael Jackson 18 vs. Abba 6
Billy Joel 10 vs. The Killers 11 vs. XTC 14

All the acts I hate today are against heavyweights. Especially the narcissist rappers.

Unfortunately my favorite rap act is against a heavyweight too.

What a strong eighth of the draw though. Beatles, Dylan, Jackson, Floyd, Marley, Davis.

I'm glad the three way today is two mainstream acts against an eclectic one. Votes will be split in my favor this time.

The Beatles
Miles Davis
OutKast
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
Sam Cooke
Michael Jackson
XTC

It's sad that the 'kast will probably lose to Floyd, but I think they'll be able to make it close at least.

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
Michael Jackson
Billy Joel

The Pink Floyd vs OutKast matchup should be interesting.

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Blondie
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
Michael Jackson
XTC

Kanye West 5, The Beatles 0: Yikes. Just yikes.
Tears for Fears 14, Miles Davis 12: I'm a total assmunch for voting this way, but the truth is that I have bought some material by Tears for Fears and have not yet gotten anything by Miles Davis. I should be ashamed, and maybe this will spur me to pick up some Miles!
OutKast 14, Pink Floyd 0: I tend to prefer the 90s version of OutKast to the 00s version, but they are always at least interesting in any incarnation. Pink Floyd, meanwhile, defines the bloated, druggy prog that I abhor.
Blondie 20, Bob Marley 2: Blondie is the quintessential pop/rock band, and own a shiny place among my top 10 artists! I respect Bob Marley (somewhat), but I can't bear to listen to him.
Bob Dylan 10, Eminem 6: Three years ago, I would have voted the other way. I don't think I'll ever be a big Dylan fan, but I have found some songs that I enjoy. Meanwhile, I fail to remember why I ever kind of liked Eminem in the first place aside from a few songs ("Guilty Conscience", "Stan"). I get that he's trying to be fun, but most of the time, he comes off rather obnoxious.
Sam Cooke 13, The Byrds 5: This bracket is really bringing out the super-acclaimed artists that I don't like! Sam Cooke is just buttery smooth, and I still haven't found a Byrds song that I like.
Michael Jackson 19, ABBA 13: MJ crafted some really excellent pop over a few decades. ABBA was chirpy and cheerful for just under one.
XTC 11, Billy Joel 7, The Killers 2: Strange matchup here! I'm not really a fan of any of these artists. XTC is at least interesting to me, while Billy Joel is perhaps a bit too much of a throwback for my taste. The Killers strike me as poseurs to the max, even stealing their band name from a New Order video.

Favorite artist: Blondie (#7 all-time)
Favorite artist I didn't vote for: ABBA
Favorite album: Eat to the Beat
Favorite song: "War Child"

Nick

My guess is that OutKast would win if the vote were limited to AMers.

Unlike Moonbeam, I still thoroughly enjoy progressive rock. As much as I fail to enjoy acts such as Bjork, I couldn't see assigning a value of 0 to such acts. I figure that one day her music might just click for me (not likely, but possible)

On the other hand, somehow I don't see Moonbeam suddenly reversing his opinion of either Floyd or the Beatles. Perhaps there is some hope for Marley in Moonbeam's view

Kanye West
Tears for Fears
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Eminem
The Byrds
Michael Jackson
XTC

The Beatles - Love you Kanye. Keep being an asshole... it works for you.
Miles Davis - Still like Songs from the Big Chair.
OutKast - Tough contest between somewhat inconsistent groups. PF does not thrill me like OutKast
Bob Marley - Blondie are fun, but not enough weight vs. Marley.
Bob Dylan
Sam Cooke
Michael Jackson - Really don't think much of Abba.
Billy Joel - Okay.... here is where I start to critically reconsider Joel. XTC is too precious too often. The Killers I don't mind on the radio. Joel lucks out in the draw, but the fact is, he wrote some good tunes. Like, say, "Moving Out" That's a good song, right?

Fave - Beatles
Fave not voted for - Kanye, just beating out PF.

Henry
Nick

My guess is that OutKast would win if the vote were limited to AMers.

Unlike Moonbeam, I still thoroughly enjoy progressive rock. As much as I fail to enjoy acts such as Bjork, I couldn't see assigning a value of 0 to such acts. I figure that one day her music might just click for me (not likely, but possible)

On the other hand, somehow I don't see Moonbeam suddenly reversing his opinion of either Floyd or the Beatles. Perhaps there is some hope for Marley in Moonbeam's view

I'm pretty strong in my convictions against The Beatles and Pink Floyd. I really despise everything I've heard by both. Bob Marley I could see myself warming to if I ever warm to reggae- and therein lies the difference- I can't stand the vocals of The Beatles or the arrogance, and I'm totally put off by Pink Floyd's drugged out haze, but my issue with Marley is tied to the genre and not to him.

What can I say? I still have many shortcomings!

Moonbeam

I'm pretty strong in my convictions against The Beatles and Pink Floyd. I really despise everything I've heard by both. Bob Marley I could see myself warming to if I ever warm to reggae- and therein lies the difference- I can't stand the vocals of The Beatles or the arrogance, and I'm totally put off by Pink Floyd's drugged out haze, but my issue with Marley is tied to the genre and not to him.

Sometimes it is a lot of fun being contrarian.

Most conventional music fans would posit that the Beatles vocals are quite good.

My understanding is that Pink Floyd's music is perhaps appreciated more when the listener is under the influence. But, I'm not sure that PF's music was created under the influence to any greater extent than Dylan's or Hendrix. You may want to refer to Wikipedia for more on this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd. For example, during their earliest efforts, PF was apparently not using drugs. - The often drug-addled audience was receptive to the music they played, but the band remained drug-free —"We were out of it, not on acid, but out of the loop, stuck in the dressing room at UFO.

According to Mason, the psychedelic movement had "taken place around us—not within us". Nevertheless The Pink Floyd Sound were present at the head of a wave of interest in psychedelic music, and began to attract the attention of the music industry.

No doubt Barrett was using LSD in early 1967.

But as for the other members, the record does not clearly align with the "stupor" characterization as far as I can tell, and Barrett was basically out of the group after 1968. More at http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interviews/rww/rwwdark.html

Factually, we started during the late '60s with the psychedelic music, a period that was known as experimental as far as drugs were concerned. The Pink Floyd were in the middle of that culture, so everyone naturally assumed that we were also doing drugs. But that wasn't the case. In Syd Barrett's case it was, but not in our case. I think that music was our drug. Of course, we all did drugs here and there in social events, but I've tried only once in my life, and it was marijuana, before a show. We went onstage, I think it was in Paris in '68, and I couldn't play a single note. Actually, I did manage to play one note. It's a mistake thinking that drugs supplied Pink Floyd with the inspiration. The ones who took drugs were the ones who came to see the shows.

Henry
Moonbeam

Sometimes it is a lot of fun being contrarian.

Most conventional music fans would posit that the Beatles vocals are quite good.

My understanding is that Pink Floyd's music is perhaps appreciated more when the listener is under the influence. But, I'm not sure that PF's music was created under the influence to any greater extent than Dylan's or Hendrix. You may want to refer to Wikipedia for more on this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd. For example, during their earliest efforts, PF was apparently not using drugs. - The often drug-addled audience was receptive to the music they played, but the band remained drug-free —"We were out of it, not on acid, but out of the loop, stuck in the dressing room at UFO.

According to Mason, the psychedelic movement had "taken place around us—not within us". Nevertheless The Pink Floyd Sound were present at the head of a wave of interest in psychedelic music, and began to attract the attention of the music industry.

No doubt Barrett was using LSD in early 1967.

But as for the other members, the record does not clearly align with the "stupor" characterization as far as I can tell, and Barrett was basically out of the group after 1968. More at http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interviews/rww/rwwdark.html

Factually, we started during the late '60s with the psychedelic music, a period that was known as experimental as far as drugs were concerned. The Pink Floyd were in the middle of that culture, so everyone naturally assumed that we were also doing drugs. But that wasn't the case. In Syd Barrett's case it was, but not in our case. I think that music was our drug. Of course, we all did drugs here and there in social events, but I've tried only once in my life, and it was marijuana, before a show. We went onstage, I think it was in Paris in '68, and I couldn't play a single note. Actually, I did manage to play one note. It's a mistake thinking that drugs supplied Pink Floyd with the inspiration. The ones who took drugs were the ones who came to see the shows.

I'm not consciously trying to be a contrarian- I just don't like either Pink Floyd or The Beatles.

As for drug use, a lot of artists that I do like were undoubtedly dabbling in stuff at times as well. That said, it generally is able to transcend those influences, whereas to my ears, Pink Floyd's music does not, regardless of how coherent they were at the time.

Kanye West (2 of my top 10 artists, I can only admit that Beatles is way more influencial and innovative, but if I have to put a CD right now, and almost anywhen, it would be Kanye over Fab Four)
pass
Outkast
Blondie
Eminem
Sam Cooke
MJ
XTC

The Beatles (18) vs. Kanye West (13)
Miles Davis (13) vs. Tears For Fears (13)
Pink Floyd (18) vs. OutKast (14)
Bob Marley (18) vs. Blondie (12)
Bob Dylan (20) vs. Eminem (15)
Sam Cooke (13) vs. The Byrds (17)
Michael Jackson (18) vs. Abba (11)
Billy Joel (11) vs. The Killers (12) vs. XTC (11)

The Beatles (painful, painful matchup)
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan (it's not far off to call them the two greatest lyricists of all time)
Sam Cooke
Michael Jackson
The Killers

The Beatles
Miles Davis
Pink Floyd
Blondie
Bob Dylan
Sam Cooke
Michael Jackson
pass (horrible matchup)

Methinks Moonbeam gives highly rated bands he doesn't like 'Overrated penalties'.

Of course, I sometimes do that too.

Pink Floyd/Outkast is a really interesting matchup for the AM votes, but as others have stated, Pink Floyd's probably going to dominate the non-AM votes.

The Beatles - I'm a-let the Beatles finish, but Beyonce really deserves to win this UMT...
Tears for Fears - just not in to Miles Davis, though he's certainly more deserving to be in the final 64
OutKast
Blondie
Eminem
Sam Cooke
Abba
Billy Joel

The highly competetive Pink Floyd/Outkast matchup went back and forth. Floyd winning 19-17 in the end. AM voted 11-10 OutKast/non-AM 9-6 Floyd. The other competetive matchup was the 3-way with Billy Joel & XTC getting 12 votes each and 10 for The Killers...

The Beatles 86.1% / Kanye West 13.9%
Miles Davis 66.7% / Tears For Fears 33.3%
Pink Floyd 52.8% / OutKast 47.2%
Bob Marley 61.8% / Blondie 38.2%
Bob Dylan 77.8% / Eminem 22.2%
Sam Cooke 57.6% / The Byrds 42.4%
Michael Jackson 86.1% / Abba 13.9%
Billy Joel & XTC 35.3% EACH / The Killers 29.4%