Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cee-Lo's "Fuck You"

The Internet is going crazy for this one, utterly bathing it in hyperbole. Some are calling it better than Crazy, the new Hey Ya; while I don't think it's that good, it is very very good. Great Motown-inspired instrumentals, fantastic vocal performance, and lyrics that are clever and easily relatable.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11963-fuck-you/

Song of the year for anyone?

Re: Cee-Lo's "Fuck You"

I just listened to it. It's very good, but not Hey Ya! or Crazy. I would still take Shutterbug as the song of the year (so far).

This is a new decade. Crazy and Hey Ya aren't from this decade, so the critics can stop making that comparison.

Prety good song.

I listened to this hoping for something really good, but it's just a rather pedestrian "she done me wrong" song with nice production and vocals. Some of the lyrics were cringeworthy- that Xbox and Atari line comes to mind.

I like it a lot, definitely a top 20 single of the year for me, but probably not any more than that. I would have never imagined a single called "Fuck You" would ever rank among the great singles of the decade, akin to what Hey Ya! and Crazy were to last decade. Nevertheless, it's still a really good song, killer production. I have to respectfully disagree Moonbeam, Cee-Lo sounds far from pedestrian, in fact he sounds positively enthusiastic throughout the entire thing.

Nick
I like it a lot, definitely a top 20 single of the year for me, but probably not any more than that. I would have never imagined a single called "Fuck You" would ever rank among the great singles of the decade, akin to what Hey Ya! and Crazy were to last decade. Nevertheless, it's still a really good song, killer production. I have to respectfully disagree Moonbeam, Cee-Lo sounds far from pedestrian, in fact he sounds positively enthusiastic throughout the entire thing.

I didn't express myself very well in that post. Cee-Lo's vocals are indeed pretty passionate, but the lyrics are fairly run of the mill, even with the swearing.

I will say this though- it's quite catchy. I played it once and now it's in my head.

It is catchy, I can see it landing on my top song list of the year. Not sure if it ranks up there with a "Bloodbuzz Ohio", "Born Free", "Dear God 2.0" or Brandon Flowers "Crossfire" which will all certainly be in my top 10, but it will be somewhere in what will certainly be a lenghtly list of good songs from 2010.

The hooks are killer, and the conception is brilliant. But at the same time, it feels a little derivative. It's a great song, but it won't be one of the very best of the year. Borderline T10 of the year for me. But I am trying to work "ain't that some shit" into my everyday vocabulary.

Great song, but it's too early to call it the new Hey Ya or Crazy (which was my favorite song from last decade).

could anyone mix a nice 'bootleg' `version of "Way down below the ocean where I wanna be, she may.." and "..fuck you"?

sorry, but i guess i watched stuff like

a little bit too often..

whatever: hail atlantis...

ps: seriously, i like that song.

Am I the only one that thinks this song is horrible? Crazy and Hey Ya had a far more original sound than this, which sounds derivative of 60s Motown. I don't think I could ever truly like a song with so many unnecessary cuss words in its chorus. The backing vocals are laugh-out-loud awful, too. I know pop music's been awful the last two or three years, but have our standards been pushed this low?

Just heard it first time, right after reading this, and I must say that I've really enjoyed what I listened! Yes, it looks quite like a retro melody, with an opposite extremely modern production. Of course if the man wasn't such a talented singer, the song would be like any of the other lots of R&B tracks that appear everyday. It's all about the way he sings.
Let's see how it will look after other listens...

I get the "pedestrian" comment, Moonbeam. About ten years ago the precursor to the Idol series in the UK produced a pop band Hear'Say, whose only hit is what comes to mind on the first listen of Fuck You. It's quite a clever idea, and some of the self-conscious generational references do at the least attempt to be subtle. But the whole thing is a contrived modern re-vamp of the You-Broke-My-Heart songs which began with Bye Bye Love. It just seems like he's trying to get another worldwide smash like Crazy, in a really calculated way. Most of the critics have bought it; of course the public will buy it, literally, because the same guy who released Run has now made a song with 'fuck' in the title which still has a killer melody. But it all seems very tame and manufactured to me.

Jackson
Hazy and Cray Ya had a far more original sound than this, which sounds derivative of 60s Motown.

riiite... and thanks a lot btw for mentioning my previous post... which coincidently did address the exact same issue..

Yeah, great song! It sounds so retro that it even has a bridge! And what an excellent bridge (go to 2:39 here). But the lyrics are absolutely contemporary (although like Guy said it follows the tradition that began with “Bye Bye Love”). And it deals with the (so American) obsession with money (& sex) with a refreshing sense of humour. And, like Toni said, Cee-Lo’s vocal delivery is awesome.

Guy
I get the "pedestrian" comment, Moonbeam. About ten years ago the precursor to the Idol series in the UK produced a pop band Hear'Say, whose only hit is what comes to mind on the first listen of Fuck You. It's quite a clever idea, and some of the self-conscious generational references do at the least attempt to be subtle. But the whole thing is a contrived modern re-vamp of the You-Broke-My-Heart songs which began with Bye Bye Love. It just seems like he's trying to get another worldwide smash like Crazy, in a really calculated way. Most of the critics have bought it; of course the public will buy it, literally, because the same guy who released Run has now made a song with 'fuck' in the title which still has a killer melody. But it all seems very tame and manufactured to me.

You mean "Pure and Simple"? Man I loved that song. As for this song, it does swear a lot, but like Pf say, it doesn't feel like swearing at all. I can just imagine this in a concert where everyone just shouts "Fuck You!"

So I'm not the only one with a nostalgic penchant for early 2000s autotune pop! Ah, those were the days: Hear'Say and Liberty X, Will Young and Gareth Gates, and those lovable punkish CBBC rogues Busted. I still hated The Beatles, thought Bob Dylan was a nineteenth century poet, and believed Rock DJ to be the genesis of modern music. So innocent...

I'm not knocking the song full stop, I just don't think it's a year or even decade high. It'll probably turn out to be massive, which is part of the reason I begrudge it I suppose.

Popstars: Battle of the Sexes - Girls Aloud vs whatever the boys came up with...when Mcfly seemed fresh...the boyband Blue (who are only good now for being insulted on Never Mind the Buzzcocks)...

I've given it a couple more listens and I really like it. It just makes me feel happy inside (which is ironic considering the theme of the song). Although if I listen to it again, it's gonna sound a bit whiny. Best enjoyed in small doses.