Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Question Reguarding My Next Poll.....

I will be starting my next poll in about a month.
It will be a reinvention of Schleuse's '07 poll "AM Survivor"

My question to you guys is:
Should placement on one ballot = 1 point OR should you get to chose which artists get how many points towards being voted off?

Thanks in advance.

Re: A Question Reguarding My Next Poll.....

It would be cool if you said, "You have twenty points and you can distribute them how you wish." Whether it would work in reality I don't know...

Zorg
It would be cool if you said, "You have twenty points and you can distribute them how you wish." Whether it would work in reality I don't know...

If I did that, some people would probably give 20 points to one artist and others would give 1 point to 20 artists.

That would be fun, but I don't see it ending well.

Listyguy
Zorg

If I did that, some people would probably give 20 points to one artist and others would give 1 point to 20 artists.

That would be fun, but I don't see it ending well.

That would be stupid. You could say there is a maximum of 5 or 10 points for one artist.

The idea is fun though.

I broached this a few years ago when the original survivor was gearing up. It's an alternative way of doing it, but requires a strong hand guiding the game and making sure the calculations remain correct throughout, and a promise by all participants not to get upset (because after all it's just a game).

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to lead this, but if listyguy likes the idea, I'd welcome him trying to enact it here.

I cribbed this idea from the Television without Pity forums, where they have "survival" games for favorite characters, episodes, etc. How they work is you start with a list (say 100 top artists) and give them all 15 points. Each person is allowed to either add two points (++) or deduct two points (--) from three artists. (e.g., I want to give the Beatles 2 and take away 2 from the Doors and the Eagles. Now the Beatles have 17, and the Doors and Eagles have 13.) When you vote, copy the list with the new numbers and move the artists into their proper place on the list under the new point totals.

Now this is the fun part: when someone sends an artist off the island (sends them down to zero), they have the honor of creatively describing exactly how they fell to their death, or left the island, or whatever.

A person can only vote once a day (this may need to be tinkered with, given the traffic on the forums, so that the game doesn't last too long).

Once half the artists have been eliminated, you can add only ONE point, though we still deduct two...that's to ensure that the game doesn't last forever.

This is just an idea to think about. It's fun because you have to think strategically. Do you prefer to add points to your favorites or subtract points from your least favorites, or even from the ones you may like, but are worried will beat out your favorite.

This is more a strategy game than others we've played here. Do you start taking points off Prince early because Moonbeam is going to keep adding them? Do you add points to a personal fave while that artist remains under the radar, or will that just encourage others to prematurely subtract points?

Oh, this is a hurt-n-heal?

Those are usually one by the last band to get noticed. It's like that Monty Python sketch, "How not to be seen".

Gillingham
That would be stupid. You could say there is a maximum of 5 or 10 points for one artist.

Schwah
Do you start taking points off Prince early because Moonbeam is going to keep adding them?

If we were to give Moonbeam 20 points to add to any artist he wanted, we all know it would be Prince, and if he could, taske 20 from the Beatles, which is why the 20 point thing wouldn't work.

As for Schwah's idea, it sound cool and fun, especialy the "How did they die?" part, but I'm trying to go for a more structured poll.

I love that I'm the example for what could go wrong with the +/- game. And I'd probably be more interested in knocking the likes of The Eagles, The Who, Oasis and Coldplay down a couple billion pegs first.

Even though, I'm not doing the poll the way Schwah explained, I came up with how Prince would have "died" on the island:

Prince was standing near the edge of a cliff playing guitar, when Moonbeam saw him. He shouted out, "Oh my god, it's Prince!" and ran over to him, but, he was running to hard, and knocked Prince off the cliff.

I know how Kanye West died.

Medusa offered to make him into a statue, as an immortal monument to himself. He kindly obliged.

Led Zep would without doubt, climb a stairway down to hell (obvious I know).

Elton John died after listening to his "Leather Jackets" album, and Elvis died after hearing his daughter's cover of "Dirty Laundry"

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXt3V1ZM3xE

The Beatles all died after legions of fans kissing their asses led them to catch a virulent strand of anal Epstein-Barr.

Before the tourney starts, I also need to make usre these lists are accurate. Please tell me if you spot any errors.

The top 100:
AC/DC, The Band, The Beach Boys, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Chuck Berry, Björk, Black Sabbath, Blur, David Bowie, James Brown, The Byrds, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave, Ray Charles, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, John Coltrane, Sam Cooke, Elvis Costello, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Cure, Miles Davis, The Doors, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, Eminem, Brian Eno, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Grateful Dead, Al Green, Guns N’ Roses, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Michael Jackson, The Jam, Elton John, Joy Division, The Kinks, Kraftwerk, LCD Soundsystem, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, Little Richard, Madonna, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Massive Attack, Metallica, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, New Order, Nirvana, Oasis, OutKast, Parliament/Funkadelic, Pavement, Pet Shop Boys, Pink Floyd, Pixies, The Police, Portishead, Elvis Presley, Primal Scream, Prince, Public Enemy, Pulp, Radiohead, Ramones, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Run-D.M.C., Sex Pistols, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Sly and the Family Stone, Patti Smith, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, The Stooges, Talking Heads, T. Rex, U2, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, The White Stripes, The Who, Wilco, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention

101-200:
ABBA, Aerosmith, The Allman Brothers Band, Archade Fire, Big Star, Blondie Jackson Browne, Tim Buckley, Kate Bush, John Cale, Can, The Chemical Brothers, Chic, Jimmy Cliff, Coldplay, Ornette Coleman, Cream, Crosby Stills Nash (& Young), Daft Punk, Deep Purple, De La Soul, Depeche Mode, Derek and the Dominos, Bo Diddley, Dr. Dre, Eagles, Echo and the Bunnymen, Duke Ellington, Missy Elliot, Eric B. & Rakim, The Everly Brothers, Ella Fitzgerald, The Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Peter Gabriel, Serge Gainsbourg, Grandmaster Flash, Happy Mondays, Herbie Hancock, Hüsker Dü, Jay-Z, Jefferson Airplane, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company, Carole King, King Crimson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Love, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Manic Street Preachers, Curtis Mayfield, M.I.A., Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Morrissey, Motörhead, My Bloody Valentine, Randy Newman, Nico, Nine Inch Nails, N.W.A, Roy Orbison,Gram Parsons, Pearl Jam, Iggy Pop, Pretenders, The Prodigy, Public Image Ltd., Queen, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Replacements, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Sonny Rollins, Sigur Rós, Santana, Paul Simon, The Smashing Pumpkins, Elliott Smith, The Specials, Dusty Springfield, Rod Stewart, The Stone Roses, The Streets, The Strokes, Suede, The Supremes, Television, The Temptations, A Tribe Called Quest, TV on the Radio, Van Halen, The Verve, Muddy Waters, Weezer, Kanye West, Hank Williams, Wire, XTC

Jimi Hendrix died after standing next to a Fire.