Fleetwood
Steely
Aerosmith
Foreigner
Def Leppard
Boston

Fave: Aerosmith
FNVF: Talking Heads
Fave Songs: Crazy Train, Walk This Way, Peace of Mind, Foolin (All top 30)
Fave Album: Boston

Re: UMT 3.10...

Slicks Votes ... PEARL JAM... TALKING HEADS... FMAC... BLUR... THE REPLACEMENTS... FOREIGNER... DEF LEPPARD... BEASTIES...

Slicks Predictions...
PEARL JAM -- should win with between 60%-70%...
TALKING HEADS -- see above...
FLEETWOOD MAC -- see above...
BLUR -- more of the same...
TOSS UP -- this one is interesting...
FOREIGNER -- It will be tough to say good bye to Belinda, but she ran her course...
DEF LEPPARD -- though a potential strong push on AM should make this close...
BEASTIE BOYS -- tough draw for Boston...

#1 Pearl Jam
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#2 Blur
#4 The Replacements
#2 Foreigner
#13 Wire
#2 The Beastie Boys

Go Wire Go! Kick some Def arse!

#1 Pearl Jam
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#3 Steely Dan
#4 The Replacements
#2 Foreigner
#13 Wire
#2 The Beastie Boys

Significant 80s flavor to today's bracket, hurray!

Crosby, Stills & Nash
Talking Heads - "And She Was" still in heavy rotation in my catalog...
Fleetwood Mac - tough choice...the Righteous Bros have a couple of great songs, but Fleetwood definitely has a stronger career
Steely Dan
Aerosmith
Belinda Carlisle - used to like Foreigner a lot, back in the day, but they haven't aged well for me. Belinda, on the other hand, has aged quite nicely.
Def Leppard - one of the few hair bands I really kind of like
Boston - liked the Beasties in high school, but don't listen to them much anymore

My classic rock preferences are completely exposed in this round

Crosby, Stills & Nash
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#3 Steely Dan
#1 Aerosmith
#2 Foreigner (ouch)
#1 Def leppard
#3 Boston

I feel like some of these are straight-up Good vs Evil. Go good guys!

#1 Pearl Jam
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#2 Blur
#4 The Replacements
#13 Wire
#2 The Beastie Boys

Def Leppard vs Wire is paticularly a battle of comic book proportions. Wire are a lot like Batman when you think about... Guess Def could be the Clay guy.

Yuck- Pass
#3 Talking Heads: It took me awhile to warm to them, but boy, did I ever!
#1 Fleetwood Mac: They have some outstanding singles from the mid-70s through the late 80s.
Pass- I don't feel it's fair to vote against Steely Dan when I don't really know them.
#1 Aerosmith: I know I'm in the minority here, but I really, really like Aerosmith.
#6 Belinda Carlisle: I'm more of a Go-Go's guy, but it's hard to dispute that she also had some great singles.
#13 Wire: This was actually a tough choice, as I own and like one album by each. Pink Flag edges out Hysteria for me, and that is what did it.
#2 The Beastie Boys: For "Intergalactic" alone they would win!

#4 Crosby, Stills & Nash
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#3 Steely Dan
#4 The Replacements
#2 Foreigner
#13 Wire
#2 The Beastie Boys

Pearl Jam
Talking Heads
Fleetwood Mac
Blur
The Replacements
Wire
Beastie Boys

#4 Crosby, Stills & Nash
We're including &Young stuff in this, right? Yeah, I like Pearl Jam, but CS&N has higher peaks.
#3 Talking Heads
Easy vote for me.
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#3 Steely Dan
#4 The Replacements
In a just world this is an easy victory. In the 70's Aerosmith were good and put out some classics, but they're so annoyingly image oriented and trendy the rest of their career cancels that out. Steven Tyler is like the male Whitney Houston, in terms of shameless vocal embellishment and oversinging. Everything they've done since Nine Lives flopped and they retooled themselves has been vomit-inducing. Especially 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thang'.
#13 Wire
Again, in a just world, easy victory. In this world, I don't know.
#2 The Beastie Boys
Higher peaks lower lows.

#1 Pearl Jam
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#2 Blur
#4 The Replacements
#2 Foreigner
#1 Def leppard
#2 The Beastie Boys

#1 Pearl Jam
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#3 Steely Dan
#4 The Replacements
#2 Foreigner
#13 Wire
#2 The Beastie Boys

Crosby, Stills & Nash
Talking Heads
Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan
Wire
The Beastie Boys

Pearl Jam
Talking Heads
pass
Blur
The Replacements
pass
Wire
The Beastie Boys (2nd favourite band ever against one who did half a good album, not very tough choice)

It's a shame that the Replacements and Wire are probably going to be eliminated. I can understand votes for Aerosmith which had great songs and albums on their early years, even though I think Replacements would win if they were more known. The other match-up should be won hands-up by Wire, sure they are far less accessible, but they have made much wider array of music, they are much more innovative, much less silly and well, just plain great !

#1 Pearl Jam
#3 Talking Heads
#1 Fleetwood Mac
#2 Blur
pass
#6 Belinda Carlisle
pass
#2 The Beastie Boys

Nassim

The other match-up should be won hands-up by Wire, sure they are far less accessible, but they have made much wider array of music, they are much more innovative, much less silly and well, just plain great !

I will admit my knowledge of Wire doesn't go beyond Pink Flag & Outdoor Miner but I know a lot more Def Leppard. Probably a similar case for several other people. Def Leppard is one of 3 hair metal bands that I actually like...

Pearl Jam
Talking Heads
pass
Blur
The Replacements
pass
Wire
Boston

Pearl Jam
Talking Heads
Fleetwood Mac
Blur
The Replacements
Belinda Carlisle
Wire
Beastie Boys

Seven ridiculously easy choices today…and then there’s Belinda Carlisle vs. Foreigner. In that one, I took “inoffensive” over “offensive.”

(Just kidding—everything gets rehabilitated sooner or later, and even R.E.M. has played a couple of Foreigner songs live. But I just dislike them too much to raise a flag for them.)

As a few folks have noted, this does seem to be a day of particularly stark “classic rock” vs. “post-77” choices. The scorecard as it stands now (for entertainment purposes only):

CLASSIC ROCK: Listyguy, Larry, Henry.
POST-77: Slick, Brad, Harold Wexler, SR, Moonbeam, Nick, Midaso, Beans, Alex D, Jackson, me.
FEET IN BOTH CAMPS: Stephan, BillAdama, Henrik.

Slick, my guess is that non-AM voters probably lean more heavily in the classic rock direction. But maybe I’m stereotyping?

schleuse
and even R.E.M. has played a couple of Foreigner songs live.

I know they covered Lou Gramm's solo hit "Midnight Blue" as an encore (along with "Summertime" and "See No Evil") for a good portion of the Green Tour. Have they really covered other Foreigner-related tunes? Would love to hear Buck solo on "Cold As Ice" or "Hot-Blooded"!

BillAdama

Everything they've done since Nine Lives flopped and they retooled themselves has been vomit-inducing. Especially 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thang'.

Yes, thank you! "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing" is AWFUL.

schleuse
Pearl Jam
Talking Heads
Fleetwood Mac
Blur
The Replacements
Belinda Carlisle
Wire
Beastie Boys

Seven ridiculously easy choices today…and then there’s Belinda Carlisle vs. Foreigner. In that one, I took “inoffensive” over “offensive.”

(Just kidding—everything gets rehabilitated sooner or later, and even R.E.M. has played a couple of Foreigner songs live. But I just dislike them too much to raise a flag for them.)

As a few folks have noted, this does seem to be a day of particularly stark “classic rock” vs. “post-77” choices. The scorecard as it stands now (for entertainment purposes only):

POST-77: Slick, Brad, Harold Wexler, SR, Moonbeam, Nick, Midaso, Beans, Alex D, Jackson, me.

Slick, my guess is that non-AM voters probably lean more heavily in the classic rock direction. But maybe I’m stereotyping?

The Non-AMers are split on that one...

Brad
schleuse
and even R.E.M. has played a couple of Foreigner songs live.

I know they covered Lou Gramm's solo hit "Midnight Blue" as an encore (along with "Summertime" and "See No Evil") for a good portion of the Green Tour. Have they really covered other Foreigner-related tunes? Would love to hear Buck solo on "Cold As Ice" or "Hot-Blooded"!

Oops. I forgot that "Midnight Blue" wasn't Foreigner.

I have it in my head that they did "I Want to Know What Love Is" in concert once, but I'll have to look that one up.

Slick
schleuse

The Non-AMers are split on that one...

Thanks to AM, I am at least dipping my toes into the post-77 pool a bit more frequently. Thanks!

winners in 3.10...
Pearl Jam 74.3% / Crosby, Stills & Nash 25.7%
Talking Heads 68.6% / Ozzy Osbourne 31.4%
Fleetwood Mac 90.9% / The Righteous Brothers 9.1%
Blur 52.9% / Steely Dan 47.1%
The Replacements 60.3% / Aerosmith 39.7%
Foreigner 70% / Belinda Carlisle 30%
Def Leppard 61.8% / Wire 38.2%
Beastie Boys 76.5% / Boston 23.5%

damn, this one wasn't even up for 24 hours!

would a vote for steely dan have made a difference?

Sorry. I have an anniversary dinner thing going on and had to get things a couple hours early. Blur won by 2 votes, so 1 wouldn't have tied it.

ok, now i feel better. thanks