Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just a question about "Stan".

I'm sure that everyone here is familiar with "Stan" by Eminem, so let me cut to the chase. On this website, the credit for the song is split between Eminem and Dido, so that "Stan" counts as both a Dido song and an Eminem song. My question is, why is this so? As everyone here also knows, "Stan" contains elements of Dido's hit single "Thank You". But to the best of my knowledge, these elements are but a sample of the Dido song. I can't find any information out there that suggests that Dido herself was involved in the recording process of "Stan" or that she contributed anything new to the track (other than the previously mentioned sample).

If the qualifications to obtain dual credit for a song on AM simply lie in overt sampling, then wouldn't it be fair to say that The Clash should receive dual credit for M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" or that Chic should receive dual credit for the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"?

Re: Just a question about "Stan".

The Dido sample is literally the chorus of the song, and that is probably why it gets credit.

VanillaFire1000
The Dido sample is literally the chorus of the song, and that is probably why it gets credit.

And, unlike the other examples in the original post, Dido actually receives featured artist credit on "Stan." In fact, I'm guessing that getting that kind of credit may have been a condition of Dido letting Mr. Mathers use the song in the first place (or, it may have been a gesture of goodwill from Eminem). It does seem kind of silly, considering that - as Nick says - she didn't contribute anything new to the recording. But the credit is there, and it's appropriate that Dido gets an entry here based on that.

You know, the thing I always hated about this song is the last line--where he says "Come to think of it his name was...it was you. Damn!" It would have been so much better if he had just left out the "it was you" part of it. The slight subtlety would have been a better ending. But, I guess subtlety probably doesn't play well to his primary audience. No need to point out that Eminem is way more of a genius than I am. Already know that. Still think it would be better.

But, speaking of Dido. I think she's terribly underrated. To me, her music is so much closer to the acclaimed trip hop acts--especially Portishead--than she is given credit for. Thoughts? I know Dummy is Henrik's favorite album!

If the deciding factor is "featured artist credit" than why isn't Puff Daddy (or whatever he's called now) credited for "Mo Money Mo Problems"? He didn't really contribute anything to the song, but his name's on it...

That's a...

good point. Not that Puff Daddy is deserving of much in the way of acclaim, of course.

There probably are some "featurings" on the site that do not give credit to the featured acts. Is Puff Daddy continuously featured throughout "Mo Money Mo Problems"? In "Stan," Dido is the chorus, so maybe that's a difference?

Re: That's a...

I remember seeing this topic about "featurings" debated once and Henrik seemed to point out that duos like Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell would credit both artists with equal points whereas featurings in the case of P.Diddy (or whatever you call him) or Dido, the artist in question would be credited with 40% of the total points! That seems fair! Maybe a small note between brackets indicating that it is a featuring would be more accurate! I explain, if you look at 50 cent's page you REALLY think HE was the one who wrote and sang "Hate It Or Love It"! Which can lead to some wee confusion...

JR
good point. Not that Puff Daddy is deserving of much in the way of acclaim, of course.

There probably are some "featurings" on the site that do not give credit to the featured acts. Is Puff Daddy continuously featured throughout "Mo Money Mo Problems"? In "Stan," Dido is the chorus, so maybe that's a difference?

Regarding Sean Combs on that song: the song is off a Notorious B.I.G. album, so he is understandably the primary artist, but both Ma$e and Puff are featured artists. To me, their "featured" status is much more deserving than Dido's on "Stan," since Ma$e contributes the first verse and Puff contributes the second. Both are original contributions (unlike Dido in "Stan"), so their inclusion is sensible.

Matt Schroeder
JR

Regarding Sean Combs on that song: the song is off a Notorious B.I.G. album, so he is understandably the primary artist, but both Ma$e and Puff are featured artists. To me, their "featured" status is much more deserving than Dido's on "Stan," since Ma$e contributes the first verse and Puff contributes the second. Both are original contributions (unlike Dido in "Stan"), so their inclusion is sensible.

Wasn't Puff Daddy Biggie's producer?

And if this is true for Dido, shouldn't Blondie be given credit for Grandmaster Flash's Wheel's of Steel?