The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
500 Songs

Gimme Shelter should be higher, in my opinion. It's at 38 now. "I Want to Hold Your Hand," should be much lower, I think. It has historical interest, but who rocks out to that song, especially in view of the much better and richer Beatles songs that came after? Help!, for example, has aged much better than I Wanna Hold Your Hand. What are we, 12 years old? We shtoink on the 4th date. Also Gimme Shelter is one of Obama's favorite Stones song, and the Stones are one of his top 3 bands. "Gimme Shelter is so powerful it's like a nonstop weather system that should be tracked by the International Hurricane Agency"
My Generation is also overrated. It has the famous line "I hope I die before I get old," of course, but who really gets into the off-rhythm stuttering. I think My Generation seems like a gawky imbecile child compared to Wont Get Fooled Again.

Re: Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs SPECIAL EDITION (2010)

I can't believe Free Man In Paris got knocked off for some of those newer pop and rap songs. (Instead of some of the newer songs that actually deserved it)

Rolling Stone's lists have a history of being economically influenced, of course.

Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child is the most exciting guitar song I've ever heard, it has a primal energy that makes even the best of Clapton sound tame. It's not in the top 100. It should be in the top 20. It's like a volcano of inspiration in a tea room full of murmuring mediocrities. It makes ACDC and Tom Petty and David Bowie's rock experiments sound wafer-thin and square by comparison. I like Layla, but the famous riff of Layla sounds hurried and unfunky to me compared to the riffs cascading through Voodoo Child.