Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Project 3000: Uno! Dos! One, Two, Tres, Quatro!

Thanks to A) the miraculous appearance of an Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature CD (the original 1969 version) at Reckless Records for under $10 (keep in mind that someone's offering the same CD on Amazon for over $250) and B) the most reasonable Amazon price I've ever seen for Sun City, my current top 3000 checklist is now down to four:

2444 Marquis de Sade Rue De Siam
2591 Bérurier Noir Concerto pour detraques
2654 Francesco Guccini Radici
2735 Smokey Robinson Warm Thoughts

Finding the George Russell disc thoroughly blew my mind. Clearly, whoever sold it had no idea what they could have gotten for it, and either the store had no idea either or - I would prefer to think - wouldn't dream of gouging potential customers like that (even so, I would certainly have expected the price to be closer to the $22 I paid for Coil's Horse Rotorvator).

I listened to both discs this evening, and both are in excellent condition. The way my luck has been going, I fully expect to land at least a couple of the remaining ones before the inevitable reboot later this year. (And, as I've said, I'm preparing for that as well; I now own all but three of the current EOD top 350 albums.)

Re: Project 3000: Uno! Dos! One, Two, Tres, Quatro!

Have all of the last four been released on CD? I know you mentioned something about "Warm Thoughts" being out of print, but is that on vinyl or CD?

Good luck with the last four. I think this whole quest of yours is fascinating. Maybe the next task is to rank the top 3000 from best to worst

Alex D
Maybe the next task is to rank the top 3000 from best to worst

That would be worth seeing.

By the way, in case anyone's curious: Counting the list of new database album additions (based on the EOD spreadsheet) that Henrik posted a couple of months ago, I now own 760 Bubbling Under albums in addition to the 2,996 from the current top 3,000.

Henrik hasn't yet posted the list of 2009 albums that will be added in the next update (except for the John Olav Nilsen album, which was included in the aforementioned new additions post), but I also own the top 59 albums from the EOY spreadsheet (i.e., every album with at least 23 points), plus 19 others which have between 14-22 points (including Pete Doherty's GRACE/WASTELANDS and BLUE RECORD by Baroness, both of which seem to stand a very good chance of making the top 3000 by virtue of their disproportionate performance on EOD lists).

Harold, are you still missing only these four? I'm heading to Europe on Tuesday and would be happy to look for these for you, as per my previous offer.

Also, I know that you said that you weren't as keen on getting the bubblers, but I'd be happy to look for any of those you might be missing. Let me know.

Matt Schroeder
Harold, are you still missing only these four? I'm heading to Europe on Tuesday and would be happy to look for these for you, as per my previous offer.

Also, I know that you said that you weren't as keen on getting the bubblers, but I'd be happy to look for any of those you might be missing. Let me know.

Yep, still looking for the elusive four. Matt, it would be wonderful if you were to find any of them in the course of your travels; if you do, let me know when you get back and I'll e-mail you my address.

As far as bubblers, I guess the one I'd be most interested in would be the self-titled Triangulo de Amor Bizarro album (it is available on Amazon.uk, but my credit card doesn't work on that site).

Thanks in advance for looking, Matt. I appreciate the offer.

-- Fake post, deleted --

Congratulations Harold.
Now it's time to listen to them in AM order.

Wow...wasn't sure if that was really Harold there, but then I looked up the album artwork, and they match the picture! Kudos, and...wow, I'm not used to those expletives from you...

Do tell how you tracked them down.

Ok that little bout of tourettes is just messed up.

Ummm... that wasn't me up there. That IS my picture - someone obviously Googled me and found it - but I am still missing those last four albums, and I most assuredly did NOT - repeat, did NOT - make that post. You're right, the expletives would be out of character for me. I don't know who did this, but I'm sorry, I don't find it amusing, not in the slightest. I'm actually kind of pissed off about it. I know whoever did it probably thought it was funny, and I can see that, but I'm not happy.

Want it deleted?

Stephan
Want it deleted?

Abso-fucking-lutely. (And yes, this is still the real me talking. Some things ARE expletive-worthy, and this is fucking one of them.)

Harold, I'm really glad that wasn't you, and at the same time slightly disturbed that someone would go to such lengths to pull off a pathetic "prank" like that.

Keep searching

Done. I left the post in place, otherwise the responses would look rather strange. I could just delete everything after your July 19 post if you want though.

Stephan
Done. I left the post in place, otherwise the responses would look rather strange. I could just delete everything after your July 19 post if you want though.

No, that's OK. Thanks for asking, though.

err... what happened!? mismaiome again..?

Update: I've been looking at every place I can, and have yet to find the above-mentioned albums. The store I was at earlier today had a few Bérurier Noir albums, but no CONCERTO POUR DÉTRAQUES. No Marquis de Sade or Francesco Guccini at all, but I still have two weeks left.

On a personal note, I've found quite a few albums for myself, one of which I seem to remember Harold describing as "hard to find": Miossec's BOIRE. If you're interested, here's what I've picked up for cheap...

Miossec - BOIRE
Téléphone - UN AUTRE MONDE
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - FEVER TO TELL
The Chemical Brothers - EXIT PLANET DUST
The Chemical Brothers - DIG YOUR OWN HOLE
Dennis Wilson - PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE
Nick Drake - BRYTER LAYTER
Jeff Buckley - GRACE
Gorillaz - s/t
Gorillaz - DEMON DAYS
Phoenix - UNITED
Teenage Fanclub - BANDWAGONESQUE
2 Many DJ's - AS HEARD ON RADIO SOULWAX, PT. 2
Sigur Rós - ()
Sigur Rós - AGAETIS BYRJUN
Ennio Morricone - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
Khaled - s/t
Cheb Khaled & Safy Boutella - KUTCHÉ
Daft Punk - DISCOVERY
Daft Punk - HOMEWORK
Alain Bashung - FANTAISIE MILITAIRE
Rachid Taha - DIWÂN

Harold, I know that you have most of these already, as they are on the Top 3000, but I think one or two of them are bubblers, and if you're interested, let me know.

Hello! Given that list, I guess you're in France. If that's the case, just forget the Guccini album, I'm nearly sure you won't find it here.

Regarding the two french albums, I guess CONCERTO POUR DETRAQUES will be the easiest to find, Marquis de Sade has always been a poor seller (they are post-punk after all) so I think you will have to go to a FNAC shop or in a big city to find it.

Perhaps you would be interested in albums that might make the top on a future update? I've sent some lists here and I saw others so I can make a few predictions :

- Téléphone, DURE LIMITE (I'm nearly sure for this one)
- Téléphone, AU COEUR DE LA NUIT
- Téléphone, CRACHE TON VENIN
- Alain Bashung, OSEZ JOSEPHINE

I think these four will at least bubble under. I'm more skeptical about the following :

- Jacques Higelin, BBH 75
- Noir Désir, 666.667 CLUB
- Les Rita Mitsouko, s/t
- Trust, REPRESSION
- Katerine, ROBOTS APRES TOUT
- -M-, QUI DE NOUS DEUX?
- Charlélie Couture, POEMES ROCK
- Etienne Daho, POP SATORI
- Alain Bashung, BLEU PETROLE
- Alain Bashung, PIZZA

I'm not sure they will all make it, but I've seen these albums at least twice in lists that may get included or are already included. Also, I think Magma's MEKANIK DESTRUKTIW KOMMANDOH and MC Solaar's QUI SEME LE VENT RECOLTE LE TEMPO, which are bubbling already, might make it one day. Whatever, they are all worth listening. Good luck in your search and good stay here .

Matt Schroeder

On a personal note, I've found quite a few albums for myself, one of which I seem to remember Harold describing as "hard to find": Miossec's BOIRE. If you're interested, here's what I've picked up for cheap...

The only one of these that I don't already have is KUTCHE; I would be interested in having you send it to me ONLY if you can find any of my other "priority" items. Matt, I didn't mention these before, but I have another couple of EOD-list albums that you might look for in addition to the Triangulo album: Chucho's DIARIOS DE PETROLEO; Standstill's VIVALAGUERRA; and FOR SANT TIL A VAERE GODT by John Olav Nilsen & Gjengen. Again, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pierre
Hello! Given that list, I guess you're in France. If that's the case, just forget the Guccini album, I'm nearly sure you won't find it here.

Regarding the two french albums, I guess CONCERTO POUR DETRAQUES will be the easiest to find, Marquis de Sade has always been a poor seller (they are post-punk after all) so I think you will have to go to a FNAC shop or in a big city to find it.

Perhaps you would be interested in albums that might make the top on a future update? I've sent some lists here and I saw others so I can make a few predictions :

- Téléphone, DURE LIMITE (I'm nearly sure for this one)
- Téléphone, AU COEUR DE LA NUIT
- Téléphone, CRACHE TON VENIN
- Alain Bashung, OSEZ JOSEPHINE

I think these four will at least bubble under. I'm more skeptical about the following :

- Jacques Higelin, BBH 75
- Noir Désir, 666.667 CLUB
- Les Rita Mitsouko, s/t
- Trust, REPRESSION
- Katerine, ROBOTS APRES TOUT
- -M-, QUI DE NOUS DEUX?
- Charlélie Couture, POEMES ROCK
- Etienne Daho, POP SATORI
- Alain Bashung, BLEU PETROLE
- Alain Bashung, PIZZA

I'm not sure they will all make it, but I've seen these albums at least twice in lists that may get included or are already included. Also, I think Magma's MEKANIK DESTRUKTIW KOMMANDOH and MC Solaar's QUI SEME LE VENT RECOLTE LE TEMPO, which are bubbling already, might make it one day. Whatever, they are all worth listening. Good luck in your search and good stay here .

Correct, I am in France. Or at least, I was until 7:30 local time today. I'm in Italy tomorrow and for most of the rest of the time, so I'll be on the lookout for Guccini there. I don't hold out much hope for finding the Robinson during my journeys, but you never know...

Then I hope you had a good time here ! Have a nice trip and good luck!

that's what i hate the most about yanks... always visiting the disneyland side of europe ...

oh yeah, and brick(Greg)/netjade for 2011@Vienna... (i surely don't have the cowboy boots that nicolas once provided, but, scheißenocheinst, i have an equally baddass-looking umbrella that's spitting out katjes gummees by the minute..)

I don't know if my boss would be as much willing to help relocate in an english-speaking country if he knew one of my main motivations was to become able to understand more of nj's puns.

nj
that's what i hate the most about yanks... always visiting the disneyland side of europe ...

I probably shouldn't mention that one of the days that I was in Paris, I spent it at Disneyland. Whoops, too late...

nj

Let's make one thing clear...only Americans from New England are Yankees.

And Harold, I was just on Amazon, and I thought this might interest you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000YOJ9AY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Listyguy
And Harold, I was just on Amazon, and I thought this might interest you:

If it was a CD, yes. I appreciate the gesture, though.

Harold Wexler
Listyguy

I thought that Warm Thoughts was never released on CD?

Listyguy
Harold Wexler
Listyguy

Correct, it's never been released on CD. And I'm only buying CDs, so I wouldn't order a vinyl copy. I currently have nothing to play one on, in any case.

Update #2:

Spent the day in Barcelona today, and made it to a FNAC at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the Marquis de Sade, the Bérurier Noir, the Francesco Guccini, or the Smokey Robinson. But not all is lost. I did manage to purchase...

Triangulo de Amor Bizarro - s/t
Standstill - VIVALAGUERRA

I also managed to get quite a few others, but all of them are Top 3000, so I'm sure you already have them, Harold. Well, I got two bubblers, one by Primal Scream and one by the Chemical Brothers. If you're interested, let me know. Still got a few more days here in Europe, so I'm still looking for the other albums you mentioned.

Matt Schroeder
But not all is lost. I did manage to purchase...

Wow! Thanks so much for this update, Matt! I really appreciate it. As I said, I'll be in touch with you after you get back regarding how to send these to me.

Again, thanks for the offer about the bubblers. I presume the Primal Scream is GIVE OUT BUT DON'T GIVE UP (a.k.a. "Performing tonight as The Black Crowes, let's hear it for Primal Scream!" - I exaggerate, but not really by much), which I already have.

Harold Wexler
Listyguy
Harold Wexler
Listyguy

Correct, it's never been released on CD. And I'm only buying CDs, so I wouldn't order a vinyl copy. I currently have nothing to play one on, in any case.

I don't understand - if it's never been released on CD,and you don't want it on vinyl,how are you ever going to complete the collection. Also,surely there must be other albums that are only on vinyl?

Listyguy
nj

Not for Europeans, actually. But I can understand that a southerner (especially) doesn't want to be called a yank.

Did you guys know that the word "Yankees" derives from the Dutch names "Jan" and "Kees"? Those were really common Dutch names in the times when New York (New Amsterdam) was a colony of The Republic of The Netherlands.

So much for history...

Midaso
I don't understand - if it's never been released on CD,and you don't want it on vinyl,how are you ever going to complete the collection.

And therein lies the paradox. As long as WARM THOUGHTS remains on the top 3000, and remains unavailable on CD (legally or otherwise), I WON'T be able to complete the "collection."

Now, a bootleg burned CD would be completely acceptable. I've purchased a few CDs on Ebay whose legitimacy is questionable at best (I get the impression that Amazon is more vigilant about that kind of thing), and some at independent record stores as well. I actually found a physical copy of THE GREY ALBUM at a now-defunct Chicago location, and if Lil Wayne's DA DROUGHT 3 makes it into the top 3000 in the update, I'm covered.

Harold Wexler
Midaso
I don't understand - if it's never been released on CD,and you don't want it on vinyl,how are you ever going to complete the collection.

And therein lies the paradox. As long as WARM THOUGHTS remains on the top 3000, and remains unavailable on CD (legally or otherwise), I WON'T be able to complete the "collection."

Now, a bootleg burned CD would be completely acceptable. I've purchased a few CDs on Ebay whose legitimacy is questionable at best (I get the impression that Amazon is more vigilant about that kind of thing), and some at independent record stores as well. I actually found a physical copy of THE GREY ALBUM at a now-defunct Chicago location, and if Lil Wayne's DA DROUGHT 3 makes it into the top 3000 in the update, I'm covered.

I've got a machine that converts vinyls into mp3's, which can then be burned onto a CD. http://www.ionaudio.com/profilelp

Gillingham
Listyguy
nj

Not for Europeans, actually. But I can understand that a southerner (especially) doesn't want to be called a yank.

add an "I merely tried to bait a guy to my hometown who i eventually do like a lot" to that mess, and we're even... and, actually, "Yank" sounds very much like a manly "Right into ur Virginia".. no clue, what the problem is..

nj
Gillingham
Listyguy
nj

add an "I merely tried to bait a guy to my hometown who i eventually do like a lot" to that mess, and we're even... and, actually, "Yank" sounds very much like a manly "Right into ur Virginia".. no clue, what the problem is..

nj, if I wanted to visit Germany, I'd just go to North Dakota. It's a lot cheaper, and it's a hell of a lot less boring.

To quote Martin Lawrence, this s*** just got real.

Matt Schroeder

nj, if I wanted to visit Germany, I'd just go to North Dakota. It's a lot cheaper, and it's a hell of a lot less boring.

hell yeah, nothing on EARTH beats the nightlife of North Dakota!!

Harold, I'm back in the States now. Unfortunately I wasn't able to procure any of the other CDs you were looking for. If you're interested, I'll send you a list of what I managed to get, but I'm pretty sure that you've already got them. As far as bubblers, I have:

Primal Scream - GIVE OUT BUT DON'T GIVE UP
The Chemical Brothers - PUSH THE BUTTON
Cheb Khaled & Safy Boutella - KUTCHÉ

I also picked up Vampire Weekend's CONTRA and La Roux's s/t, but I'm sure you already have those. Still if not, let me know.

I can be reached by email at mrschroeder1982 [at] yahoo [dot] com.