Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IRC - Chatting with your fellow acclaimedmusic regulars

I thought it would be a nice idea to be able to casually chat and discuss music in a somewhat less formal setting than a forum, so I set up a channel for the people who are interested.

For those who don't know what IRC is, it stands for Internet Relay Chat and it is basically multiplayer notepad. It's a very basic chat service where users in the same channel can simultaneously chat and private messaging is also possible.

To use IRC you need one of two things. Either a client such as mIRC or XChat, which require some effort to get running (but you can always ask me for help). For those who already use IRC, the server is irc.utonet.org and the channel #acclaimedmusic. An alternative (and simpler) method is to use a webbased client such as Mibbit. Simply click the link, pick a nickname, enter '#acclaimedmusic' as the channel (without the apostrophes, with the number sign) and you'll be in the channel.

Hope to see you there!

P.S. I picked a relatively unknown (but stable) server because most big servers block mibbit. If this turns out to be popular, though, maybe Henrik can set up his own server.

Re: IRC - Chatting with your fellow acclaimedmusic regulars

Bump! Not gonna give up on this just yet; had a nice chat with Anthony the other day and someone named ferminter also joined, not sure who that was because he left without a word.

I was able to access it with Mibbit!

Unfortunately, Stephan was the only one there, and he was idle.

We should try to organize a time when there can be multiple people there!

I was asleep, heh.

I'd enjoy chatting with you guys but I'd feel weird unless there were at least a few people there.

Like Moonbeam said we should plan times - especially with the world cup! we can all talk football!

Gonna give this another bump, just got back from holidays so the channel is at least populated by one (albeit somewhat inactive) user.