The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology, Round 2, Week 8

ROUND 2, WEEK 8

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#12: "My Generation" - The Who
#117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum
#140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 18
#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police
#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy
#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead
#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
#10: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
#119: "Song 2" - Blur
#375: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie
#778: "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
#61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals
#68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television
#708: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground

REMINDER: You must comment on ALL the songs in order for your ballot to count.

Re: Bracketology, Round 2, Week 8

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#12: "My Generation" - The Who (This is the first punk song. I love it)
#117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum (An excelent balad.)
#140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes (Great song, but no shot against the other 2)
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (I just heard this song for the first time. I liked it.)

#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police (Just an awesome song)
#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy (One of my favorite rap songs)
#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead (Good guitar)
#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (another shame it's in fourth.)

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
#10: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin (I don't know why there's so much Led Zeppelin hate here)
#119: "Song 2" - Blur (Decent, but so is the bracket)
#375: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie (Not much to like)
#778: "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead (Radiohead has better songs)

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
#68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen (Great song from my favorite band)
#61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals (Would be first in most other divisions.)
#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television (Best 11 minute song I know)
#708: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground (Not the best song with this name, but it's good)

This week there were two songs in my personal top 10 and 1 more from my top 20.

Oh my sweet Jesus this week is so awesome and the results are going to be interesting indeed.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#12: "My Generation" - The Who ~ Truly empowering. A blistering whirlwind full of hyperactive drumming and super-cool bass solos. The multitude of key changes also keep it thundering on brilliantly.
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast ~ People really need to really see how OutKast did more than make decent or above-average hip hop. The backward noises, piano, and slap bass work perfectly with Big Boi and André 3000 as they rap flawlessly - sometimes at stunning speeds. The subject is very thoughtful too.
#140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes ~ It's a great riff, and Meg's hypnotic floor tom really works well to build up tension, but the not-on-a-bass bass is (and sounds) a bit cheap. I guess it's a nice workaround to use a pitch shifter, though. I love the guitar solo too.
#117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum ~ I could never really find myself calling it as legendary as other people do. It's still a pretty good song, however. I find there to be quite an influence of Bach in the organ riff, which is always nice.

#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead ~ This might just be the greatest song on what might just be the greatest album of all time. Does that mean it is the greatest song of all time? Not necessarily. But it deserves to let that remain to be seen, out of all the other Radiohead songs.
#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles ~ Man I love that bassoon. Despite the childishness of the calliope-based chorus, the rest of the song has such great music and such wonderfully written lyrics that I feel it really should go up here.
#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy ~ A great example of hip hop. I haven't heard much Public Enemy yet, but they certainly seem to be something I should get into. Some of the sampling does seem to be a little out of place, however.
#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police ~ The lyrics suffer a bit from being let's-take-a-lyrical-hook-and-run-with-it disorder, but the chord progression is still pretty good. The choruses and synthesisers sort of ruin it, however.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
#10: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin ~ There is practically no contest between this and the others in this bracket. No matter how often it's played, or how often it's stated as such, it is one of the greatest songs of all time. It'll probably win this bracket, so I'll leave further analysis for later.
#778: "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead ~ It's a hauntingly beautiful track. Every time I hear it begin with that uncomfortably reluctant piano playing at seemingly random intervals, with those strange background voices, I have to drop whatever I'm doing, and sit down mesmerised. When the drums come in, and when those orchestral sweeps dive in to engulf the song, it's a strange kind of bliss. The kind of bliss you have during the intervals when you don't get whipped in flagellation.
#375: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie ~ Probably the best song from Bowie's glam period. His glam period never really clicked for me, though, but I can still admire this song. But it's up against Stairway, so it has no chance in my opinion.
#119: "Song 2" - Blur ~ I have heard this song so many damn times now. It has held up nowhere near as well as Stairway. Make it stop, please...

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television ~ It's a sprawling post-punk epic. The interplay between the instruments at the start weaves a spellbinding path, complete with visceral punk vocals and surrealist lyric, which leads to Tom Verlaine's solo. It doesn't even show much technical skill, but it features so much musical wisdom, and builds up to such an astounding climax that it has become known far and wide as possibly one of the greatest guitar solos put to vinyl.
#68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen ~ Another epic, but somewhat overplayed and more like a joke than Marquee Moon, in fact. I hear it without thinking of it as legendary, and it seems self-indulgent and plain silly at points, but when I hear it and remember how legendary it has become, it seems too ubiquitous. I dunno. I suppose it only loses out on Marquee Moon by a hair--it might win on a different day.
#61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals ~ I'm seriously loving that organ. Alas, this song still bears no contest against two utter monoliths.
#708: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground ~ I never really found The Velvet Underground to be that amazing. This song doesn't change my mind about that, and it really can't hold up in a bracket of such high quality.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

Not my favorite Who song, but Daltrey does a credible job with anthemic material
This song reminds me of one of my favorite Broadway plays, "The Real Thing" starring Glenn Close and Jeremy Irons. Musically, the song is not particularly innovative, but it was not part of the hit-machines back in the day either.
Not your typical OutKast song. Probably my favorite by OutKast and in my view the most widely accessible OutKast song.
Hard-hitting rock, by the band the AM indicates is the best of the aughts. While it's in my rotation in the car; I do skip more frequently than most of the songs on my 6-CD rotation.

One of my favorites by Radiohead.
This song is a bit formulaic and predictable, but it is probably a closer call for me than most for the top spot in this bracket.
Smokey's enthusiastic vocal delivery makes its impact in this song. I don't hear this song so often and can't remember skipping past it.
Very good song, but an easy call for me in 4th place in this bracket. I still have a weak but deeply rooted bias against rap.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
My favorite song of all time.
Very good mellow song from Radiohead
Hasn't caught fire for me. I prefer "Out of Time"
Bowie's catalog is over-rated in my view. (Not as much as Velvet Underground, but this song doesn't make much of an impact on me.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
One of my favorites of all time. Plenty of interesting transitions and a lot of fun.
Seems a bit over-rated at 61, but thoroughly enjoyable and one of the first songs I used to sing for others.
Pretty solid track for the typically over-rated VU
Can't say that I'm particularly impressed with this song yet.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17 (strong)
1. #117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum /
The definite Procol Harum song. I have really loved this one for a long time and I still do. Got to love the organ here, beautiful.
2. #140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes /
Very good and recognisable riff. Love Jack's voice here as well. I have already heard if often, but not too often yet.
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast /
Nice, probably my favorite OutKast song; not too much rapping, good melody. The beat has a nice 'sucking' sound coming along.
#12: "My Generation" - The Who /
Quite good, but a little too simple to really compete with the other three. I don’t like the stuttering singing, just unnecessary. On AM as overrated as Satisfaction, I guess.

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 18 (average)
#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead /
Quite easy winner in this bracket. Not my single favorite, but still one of my favorite Radiohead songs. Should be ranked higer than Creep, of course. But time will tell, as is the case with other Radiohead songs.
#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police /
My favorite Police song. Used to think it was about love, a mistake many people make. But when listening more closely, there is only one conclusion to make: stalking. Gives it a nice edge actually.
#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy /
Close call for the third place. One of the better songs, or maybe even the best on Fear of a Black Planet. But I have never liked Flavor Flav's voice, sounds a little childish, or something...
#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles /
The beginning is horrible, but within ten seconds, the sound definitely approves. But then, during the chorus, the horrible tune reappears, unfortunately.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17 (strong)
1. #10: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin /
An epic classic I have always loved. Only a personal favorite like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You could beat this one in the Zeppelin catalogue. Folk and hard rock at their best in one long song.
2. #375: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie /
In an incredibly strong bracket, Bowie gets the second place. A perfect blend of pop, glam rock and an orchestration. This one still grows on me. There's even a touch of Strauss’ Also Sprach Zarathustra in the end.
3. #778: "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead /
This hurts both my Radiohead and music loving heart. If Paranoid Android had not appeared in the previous bracket, I would probably be tempted to put this one in a higher position. One of my favorite songs on Amnesiac. Eerie and beautiful.
4. #119: "Song 2" - Blur /
I am also really sorry to put this great song in fourth. It's fun and the beginning is magnificent. Always reminds me of the Road to the World Cup Game of 1998. The bracket is just a little too tough for this one.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18 (average)
1. #61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals /
The best song of the Animals is a near perfect cover, they really made it their own. I guess most people think this is an Animals original. You can really feel the pain the singer is trying to communicate. Like A Whiter Shade of Pale, another lovely organ touch.
2. #708: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground /
One of the many good songs of the Reed and Cale club. Nice guitar sound and good voice delivery (even the kind a muffled backing vocals fit).
3. #68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen /
I think I both love and hate this song. It’s kitsch and beauty made flesh in a dramatic song. I think Queen did a better job with Innuendo, but maybe that’s because I have not heard that one too many times.
#324: "Marquee Moon" – Television /
Kind a ska-ish. I don’t get the appeal yet. Not even a little bit of it, for that matter. Overlong and never really touching. It’s not bad or anything close to that though. Maybe I have to hear this song more often, I’ll try.

Brackets 3 and 4 are savage!

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

1. #245 Outkast - Ms. Jackson
2. #12 The Who - My Generation
3. #117 Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale
4. #140 The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

Outkast wins this quite easily for me. Ms. Jackson is one of the reasons why Stankonia is my favourite rap album. My Generation is a good song, though highly overrated - #12? Far too high. Procol Harum I heard for the first time and it is sheer brilliance. Don't think it has much to the top 2 though. Seven Nation Army limps to fourth here. I think one of the reasons it's liked so much is because of the "bass" - that's not important to me. Certainly they can do a lot better than this.

1. #336 Smokey Robinson - Tears Of A Clown
2. #305 Radiohead - Paranoid Android
3. #80 Public Enemy - Fight The Power
4. #49 The Police - Every Breath You Take

This bracket goes against the chalk for me here. Smokey's song grabs first here. Just makes me feel happy on the inside. It also has great great drums. Paranoid Android is second. I used to absolutely love OKC, used to listen to nothing else. That's changed over time, I haven't listened to the album for months now. Paranoid Android is a really good song, but it has NOTHING on the later songs on OKC. I actually think that the first 3 songs are quite weak. Fight The Power is third. If any song on "Nation" was on here, it would win - this is quite a weak bracket. Police is pretty good, but I wouldn't miss it if it just disappeared.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. #778 Radiohead - Pyramid Song
2. #375 David Bowie - Life On Mars?
3. #10 Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
4. #110 Blur - Song 2

GREAT bracket. Pyramid Song wins this. Underrated is a word you don't hear much with regards to radiohead, but i genuinely think that amnesiac is the best radiohead album we're ever gonna hear. To those who think it's Kid B, just listen to Pyramid Song. the disorientating time signature, that bit where the drums come in (yeah, THAT bit) is sweet joy to my ears. Life On Mars is probably Bowie's greatest single song, on his coming of age album. I've only recently got into LEd Zep, and I listened to IV, and admittedly Stairway is a great song. But what I have issue with; the first part sets up the second part brilliantly, however the first part is Led Zep being decidedly un-zeppy. Is that why I like it, because it's Led Zep not being like Led Zep? I don't know what to think about it. Also I think the true epic on IV is "Levee". Song 2 is just unfortunate. I was going to put it 3rd, but then I listened to reason.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. #324 Television - Marquee Moon
2. #708 VU - Rock & Roll
3. #61 The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun
4. #68 Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

What with the Television hate? Marquee Moon is simply one of the greatest songs of all time. I don't really have anything intelligent to say here, it just sounds brilliant. The six minutes in the middle with all the guitar solos is heaven. I've put the 4th ranked song on AM first in all the brackets above, but here Rock and Roll stands no chance. Marquee Moon is just too good. The Animals song is brilliant. It's very haunting and when the guy says, "down in New Orleans", he has a sneer a la Jim Morrison. Queen are last. Not much to say, I just don't think it's aged well, and also it's in a very good bracket.

Hey guys! This is my first time posting on AM, but I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum, especially Bracketology. So I've decided it's time for me to get in on the action.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
Outkast is simply THE greatest rap group ever. This song is a perfect example of this, with its awesome sampling, great lyrics, and incredibly catchy chorus.
A brilliantly written ballad, maybe not as important or influential as the one below, but I prefer to listen to this.
Its definitely a fun, driven, ode to youth, but I like the above two just a little bit more.
I feel really bad putting this song at number four, but this is an incredibly strong bracket with four of my favorite songs, so this hypnotic song with great guitar and drum work is at the bottom.

An epic masterpiece that exhibits Radiohead at its full potential. The most unanticipated ending since I Want You (She's So Heavy). Bonus points for using Speakonia.
Great piano work, a catchy tune, and great lyrics
A fun, energetic song, featuring a timeless vocal by Smoky.
An incredibly bold statement set to a funky beat, but something has to be fourth.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
Hauntingly beautiful, I get lost in it and don't want it to end just like Paranoid Android.
A great song from the king of weirdness (or is that Prince? Its debatable).
An epic all-time great, but somehow seems a bit cliche.
A fun burst of energetic pop-rock.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
One of my all-time favorite songs, Eric Burdon, who had recently turned 23 at the time of its recording, sounds for all the world like a grandpa telling a story of warning to his wide-eyed grandkids. Plus one of the best guitar performances ever.
Though admittedly self-indulgent, its just too good not to like. Also one of my favorite songs ever.
A fine slice of rock and roll, this song has a fun, nostalgic feel to it.
Though it boasts brilliant guitar work, I find Tom Verlaine's voice annoying, and, unlike Stairway, this song's length makes it overstay its welcome.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
It's punk before punk. Enough said.
There are some classic rock songs that everyone and their grandmother would recognize the opening chords to. "Smoke on the Water", "Sunshine of Your Love", "Iron Man". Those are but a few of them. This is last decades response to those classic riffs, and this sogn is better than all the ones I previously mentioned.
While most hip-hop in the early 2000's was concerned about money, cash, and hoes, Outkast had the balls to put out a song about a man apologizing to his baby's mama's mama. Pure ballsy brilliance.
I've heard this song soooooo many times now, but it's still great. However, not great enough to get any higher than number 4.

Like a schizophrenic "Bohemian Rhapsody" on acid. In other words, it's a near perfect song, and the best track from the best band of the last 40 years.
A classic, plain and simple. From the haunting melody to the (creepy) vocals, this song sounds like it's be a classic the instant it was released.
It's too bad I have to put this song third, because these three songs all make my top 100 songs of all time. But it's the weakest of the top three (but miles ahead of the number four song)
Very overrated, The Miracles have many better songs. Still a decent song though.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
Probably the single most famous rock song in existence, and for good reason too. I don't care about sounding cliche, it's the best thing Zeppelin ever put out.
Bowie has so many great songs, and this one is near the top. The chorus is rousing and magnificent, the vocal performance is unbelievably powerful.
Catchy as hell, and one of Blur's best songs. It's a shame that this song is really all their known for in the US, because Blur are easily one of my favorite bands.
Beautiful song, it's a shame to put this last.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
This song is pure beauty, dark, mysterious, epic, poetic, sleek, streamline, sprawling, ethereal, heavenly, like the Ramones met Pink Floyd. Oh yeah, and it has the greatest guitar solo ever, no contest.
This song is as hilarious as it is amazing, an incredible near-parody of pretentious rock opera, which all works to make this one of the greatest songs ever.
The guitar and the organ fit so well together, and along with the vocals, the whole song is given a sort of epic quality to it. A real show stopper. Like "Fight the Power" I'm saddened to put this song third, as all these three songs are in my top 100 songs.
Great song by a great band, but they have better songs. In a weaker bracket, this would've been higher, but alas, this bracket is so strong!

Welcome in AM Seanywack !

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast : Stankonia would not be in my top 5 rap albums of the decade, probably not even top 10, but B.O.B. and Ms Jackson stands as 2 of the best songs of the 00s. B.O.B. is the real standout but in a more classic form, Ms Jackson sums up the best ideas of every hip-hop groups of the past years : fresh sound, sincere lyrics, great delivery...
#12: "My Generation" - The Who : it's fun to try to imagine how challenging (and probably "dangerous") it must have seemed back in the 60s ; only Moon died before he got old but still, that's what we call a generation anthem
#117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum : great ballad, many people tried to top it but there must be a reason why it is still the one used in so many movies
#140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes : almost a tie with Procol Harum, but soccer fans kinda ruined this one...

Need to listen to Sibelius once more before voting for it, so directly to...

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
#10: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin : overplayed for sure, but it is not that often that 4 brilliant musicians reach their apex at the same time
#375: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie : strange extraterrestrian song, a bit deceptive compared to Space Oddity, but brilliant to compare to almost anything else
#119: "Song 2" - Blur : funnier than fun for sure, but lacks other qualities a bit
#778: "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead : not a big fan of that one, might have to listen it a few more times

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television : the previous voters have explained why this must be definitely be #1 better than I could do ; top 10 songs of the 70s for me
#68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen : probably top 10 songs of the 70s too...
#61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals : and an other wonderful song, still not enough to compare with the previous two
#708: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground : meh... I don't like Loaded at all, still don't see any interest in this album

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

"My Generation" wins this by a mile, but "Ms. Jackson" and "A Whiter Shade of Pale" are both in my top 500. "Seven Nation Army" is one of the few songs by The White Stripes I really enjoy, but that's not enough to make it at this point.

Bit of a weaker bracket than the last one, although I really love "Every Breath You Take" and I like "Tears of a Clown" and "Fight The Power". "Paranoid Android" starts out as a pretty great song, but around minute 3 it turns into something pretty ugly and then goes on for about 3 more superfluous minutes--an easy #4.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17

Although whether or not Led Zeppelin deserves the #10 spot is up for debate, I don't think the amazing quality of the song is. Still blows me away, even though it's been a little overplayed. "Song 2", like one of the posters above, will always remind me of FIFA 98, but that nostalgia is not enough to beat Bowie. Pyramid song is another overlong Radiohead track, but quite a bit better than "Paranoid Android".

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18

AM ranking for this one. "House of the Rising Sun" is absolutely fantastic, "Bohemian Rhapsody" grotesquely beautiful, Marquee Moon elongatedly (probably not a word) mesmerizing and Rock & Roll slightly outclassed. Best bracket of the week.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes : un tube absolu pour mon groupe préféré des années 2000.
#117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum : un classique moelleux à souhait, souvenir d'adolescence et de grosses galoches ;-)
#12: "My Generation" - The Who : excellent mais je m'en suis lassé au cours du temps.
#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast : bonne chanson, mais dans un genre que j'ai toujours beaucoup de mal à écouter.

Bloc extrêmement difficile. Quatre très bonnes chansons.

#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead : gagne haut la main ce bloc. Le chef d'oeuvre qui m'a fait découvrir RAdiohead. Un jalon musical.
#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police : trop entendu, un peu daté.
#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles : sans intérêt.
#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy : la rythmique typique du rap qui fait que j'abhore le rap quand il n'y a pas cette once de pop (cf Outkast ou Eminem). Ca ne tiendrait qu'à moi, je ne classerai même pas cette chanson dans la catégorie "musique" ;-)

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17

Le bloc le plus difficile depuis le début de ce "concours". Quatre chanson à tomber que j'aurais pu mettre à la première place. Si je le pouvais, je les mettrai volontiers toutes en 1. Une des plus belles chansons de chacun des artistes présentés ici. Je met Bowie en premier parce que c'est l'artiste que je préfère.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
#61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals : une chanson magnifique, un air grandiose.
#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television : le riff de guitare qui tue.
#68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen : oh le gros gâteau sucré. Un peu écoeurant sur la longeur mais tellement bon.
#708: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground : une chanson très moyenne d'un grand groupe.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
Great minimalist garage rock from the band that revitalized rock in the Oughties.
In the running for my favorite rap song. It has that great resonant echo effect, and lyrics that are emotional and insightful. "You can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weather" is one of my all time favorite song lyrics.
Good pop song but ranked way too high. I hate the stuttering gimmick. And it seems so restrained compared to their later stuff.
Not a bad song but way outclassed in this bracket.

Six minutes of strung out paranoia.
I don't know how they came up with the vibe of this song or how they rode it so perfectly. But it all comes off as a pure venting of cultural frustration, while still being fun to listen to and accessible.
A song with a really fun vibe, but up against two heavyweights.
Great guitar riff, cheesy everything else. A very, very overrated song. I personally don't think they intentionally made it about a stalker. (But 'Melanie' is one of my favorite Weird Al songs.)

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
One of the most epic rock songs with one of the best guitar parts. Truly canonical.
Great song by the best band of the last fifteen years.
Great song, but it comes off to me as a little quirky for quirky's sake.
Fun short song, way out if it's league in this bracket.

Why does it always seem my least favorite out of the popular songs always have the easiest draw?
CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television'
Good song. Way too long.
This song is a service to guitar teachers everywhere.
A typically strong VU song.
No! Go away! Bad! Take your silly bloated melodrama somewhere else! The opposite of everything I like about music.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1.#12: "My Generation" - The Who
My favorite Who song. It's not just that the song is great, it's everything that it's stood for in the last 40 years. One of the biggest Baby-boomer anthems.
2.#245: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast
I don't really think all that highly about the rest of the songs in this group. I like them all, but I don't think any of them are anything out of the ordinary. I'll put this 2nd because I don't think this song will get many votes above 3rd place anyways.
3.#140: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
I've never dug the white stripes all too much. See above.
4.#117: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum
I just listened to this song for the first time. Sounds like they tried way to hard to make it a counterculture hit.

1.#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead
Radiohead is my favorite band, and this is one of my favorite Radiohead songs. To quote a prior comment on this thread, "possibly the greatest song on possibly the greatest album of all time".
2.#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy
Because I'm sick of hearing every breath you take, as if it was the best Police song out there, and because I don't particularly fancy Smokey Robinson.
3.#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police
See above
4.#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
See above

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
Again, one of my favorite songs from my favorite band. This is a completely biased pick, and in all honesty, I probably should've put Stairway to Heaven first.
2.#10: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
Not Led Zeppelin's best song, but nonetheless a great song.
3.#375: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie
Bowie has better shit. Bowie's not all that great, but he has better shit.
4.#119: "Song 2" - Blur
Lol. Blur.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1.#61: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals
This song is pure awesome. I can hear about 80 different genres in it.
2.#68: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
In most other brackets, this song would be #1.
3.#324: "Marquee Moon" - Television
Just heard this song for the first time. Pretty good. Nothing special though.
VU went completely downhill after their debut masterpiece.

Wow, really tough week this week. I can say with all honesty that I really like every one of the songs in these 4 brackets -- that is definitely a first.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

Almost impossible group, I think these are all about equally good, so the order is pretty much random based on my mood.

1. "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum: Procol Harum is very underrated - they have many other great songs, on a handful of albums subsequent to the debut, stretching into the mid-'70s. This at #1 will have to be representative, but they pretty much mastered baroque pop in one shot with this one (and may have inadvertently invented Emerson, Lake and Palmer while they were at it).
2. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes: For me, at this point this is all about Meg's drumming. Absolutely primal - nothing like stomping your kick drum and slamming the floor tom at the same time!
3. "My Generation" - The Who: I'm a huge Who fan, though there are several early singles I like better. Still, any fan of rock owes it to themselves to check out their literally explosive Smothers Brothers performance, which legendarily caused Zsa Zsa (or was it Eva?) Gabor to pass out backstage, as well as sending cymbal schrapnel into Keith Moon's arm. Fantastic.
4. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast: Don't get me wrong, I love OutKast, and this is a great song. They should have other chances elsewhere.

1. "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy: An all-time rap classic, working its magic in Do The Right Thing, on Fear of a Black Planet, or just all by itself in the middle of a random mix.
2. "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead: I went through a phase where I sort of downgraded this in light of other OK Computer tracks, but it just keeps propping itself back up. It's just so damn interesting to listen to, so sonically rich. (Though I will still argue that its lead-in "Airbag" beats it in that respect.) I guess I used to bitch about the ending being a bit ponderous, but when I'm in the mood it slakes my thirst for epic. Ambition made Radiohead look pretty sexy in '97.
3. "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles: One of Smokey's best of course, though not really in that handful of Motown superleague tracks, and thus only 3 here.
4. "Every Breath You Take" - The Police: Y'know, this really is a great song, and it's my opinion that the Police get far too much flak via guilt by association with Sting's pompous non-musical behavior. BUT...the competition is tough here, and even with all the early '80s nostalgia this invokes for me, it's gotta be 4.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead: Radiohead's masterpiece, coming from a Radiohead fan. What makes this one for me is the jazz influence (between Phil Selway's drumming and the very Alice Coltrane-y strings), the general mystical mood it conjures, and the very clear-eyed lyrics. Oh yes, the lyrics are odd in that aforementioned mystical way, but they're not obscure - whether this is Thom in dreamstate, or dying, or in some other dimension, the escape from reality and imagery like seeing all his former lovers is powerful in an unusually personal way. GREAT song, and one of the very best of the last decade.
2. "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie: I actually don't rate this as highly as many other people, but this is still some fantastically weird faux-cabaret madness that somehow wormed its way into public consciousness. Good on Bowie for that.
3. "Song 2" - Blur: A refreshingly punky blast from a band that had to exorcise its Kinkiness somehow.
4. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin: Objectively a great song, and in my Top 10 when I was 13, but I knew it had to be 4 when I saw a middle-aged guy in his convertible sportscar with the top down, playing this at full blast and bobbing his head along, looking in all directions to ensure people saw how cool he was. I would've shed a tear for him if I weren't laughing so hard. Songs with those types of associations should not win brackets in my book. (Hypocrisy alert: It's highly possible that any song in all of bracketology would have gotten the same response from me, but there's nothing I can do. "Stairway" probably would land here regardless.)

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground: Easily my favorite of the VU pop songs, and one of the great odes to rock as a saving force.
2. "Marquee Moon" - Television: Epic punk-prog, or something. It's over 10 minutes, but it always holds my interest throughout, and it's weirdly undated.
3. "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals: What a relentless song for 1964! And about a whorehouse, at that! The Animals would never again come close to achieving this magic again, and you can tell SHTB3.
4. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen: There will be those who accuse me of snobbery for having both this and "Stairway" last in their brackets this week, so bring it on, I can take it. This is certainly enjoyable in its very silly way, if listened to in a vacuum with all memories purged, but I would happily go through life without ever hearing it again if it came to that.

VERDI 17. Not entirely coincidentally, I’ve ranked this group in order from least lugubrious to most lugubrious (yes, I love that word).
1. MS. JACKSON. Wonderfully queasy synths, great rhythm, machine-gun rap…and it’s OutKast’s most emotionally affecting song. Brilliant.
2. MY GENERATION. This must have just sounded awesomely powerful in its day, and it still holds up. Still, give me “I Can’t Explain” any day.
3. SEVEN NATION ARMY. Fun, but there are three or four songs on White Blood Cells that I prefer. I don’t know why it’s never occurred to me to ask this before, but…what the hell is this song about?
4. A WHITER SHADE OF PALE. A very well-wrought and effective period piece…from a period that’s not my favorite.

MOPS: OutKast, “Ms. Jackson”

SIBELIUS 18
1. PARANOID ANDROID. This is the sound of that weird kid at the back of your 10th grade chem class who always smelled kind of funny, couldn’t look anyone in the eye and read a lot of obscure science fiction. You know, if that kid had grown up to be one of the most inventive musicians of the last 100 years (in any genre). Well, and if he had met Jonny Greenwood…
2. FIGHT THE POWER. There are a lot of ways to approach Public Enemy. Here’s my favorite:
Almost every critically-acclaimed band from 1965-1988: Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums.
Public Enemy: Vocals, Hype Man, Minister of Information, The Bomb Squad.
Sums it up, doesn’t it?
3. EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE. Meh, I’ve got no great new insights on this one, so I’ll just give you Opus the Penguin’s alternative lyrics from Bloom County: “Every leaf you rake / Every dog you wake / Every herring you bake / I’ll be watching you…”
4. TEARS OF A CLOWN. Smokey is wonderful as always, and I’m a sucker for those baritone saxes harrumphing around in the background. Still and all, a very clear #4 here.

MOPS: Radiohead, “Paranoid Android”

HANDEL 17
1. PYRAMID SONG. Two straight brackets I’m picking a Radiohead song, and the contrast between them really tells you all you need to know about the group’s range. Yes, it does take a shift of perspective to really appreciate both this song and Amnesiac as a whole…but damn, that Kool-Aid is refreshing.
2. LIFE ON MARS? To hell with the calendar: the 70s start here. Whereas Freddie Mercury (see below) would later mine this kind of self-dramatization for its kitsch factor, Bowie actually manages to make it both convincing and gloriously affecting.
3. SONG 2. In 1968, Paul McCartney tried to outdo the Who and Hendrix at their own game, resulting in “Helter Skelter”—sorta fun, but kinda stupid. In 1997, Damon Albarn tried to outdo Nirvana and Mudhoney at their own game, resulting in “Song 2”—immensely fun and whip-smart. Blur were the most gifted pasticheurs in rock history.
4. STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN. And here we are again. It’s difficult to overcome thirty years of visceral dislike, but over the last year or so, I’ve been trying to come to terms with Led Zep. I do hear (some of) what (some of) you hear—Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are immensely talented, and the group did reimagine, sometimes brilliantly, what rock ‘n’ roll could be. They’ll never be in my top 100 artists—probably not my top 300 either, for that matter—but I now feel about them roughly the way I feel about Steely Dan: respect and occasional enjoyment.

Nevertheless, I remain unmoved on “Stairway to Heaven.” Pretentious, self-indulgent, Tolkienesque (and not in a good way), and with one of the most godawful performances by one of the most annoying rock singers I know. And I’ll have to deal with it again in round 3.

MOPS: Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain”

CHOPIN 18
1. MARQUEE MOON. La crème de la CBGB, and the finest seven minutes of the class of ’77. Also, much more influential than is generally realized.
2. HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN. I have very little patience for white English guys trying to be blues musicians, but some of them could pull it off brilliantly—Keith Richards, the young Steve Winwood, and, here, Eric Burdon. Great track.
3. ROCK & ROLL. Lou always insisted that he was just a nice rock ‘n’ roll musician. We don’t have to take him at his word, but full points for making a convincing case here.
4. BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY. Impossible to love, but also impossible to really hate.

MOPS: Television, “Marquee Moon”

Stairway and Bohemian were doing much better early on in the week.

Come on Marquee Moon!

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast: Easy #1. The typical hip-hop trappings… all circumvented on this rap masterwork. If more artists used this song as a template, I’d be adding more rap to my collection.
2: "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes: Pitchfork seems to think Jack White can do no wrong. And they're partly right -- from 2001 to 2004, he couldn't. The years since are another story; his ubiquity in the rock world has meant less quality material (to these ears anyway), a far cry from the brilliance he was cranking out seven years ago.
3: "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum: A few years ago, this would've been fourth, regardless of competition. Since then it's become it bit more palatable, but still not something that gets me excited when it comes on.
4: "My Generation" - The Who: Not bad for being written by a 20 yr-old. (Tangentially, Alex Turner was 19 when “I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor” was released.)

1: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead: A few years ago, when I lent OK Computer to my old man, I used phrases like "progressive rock", "great production", "modern classic" and "my generation’s Dark Side of the Moon", in the hopes that playing to his '70s-prog sensibilities would pique his interest. It didn't. He returned the CD a few weeks later, claiming it wasn’t his thing and that Yorke’s voice was "unlistenable". To this day, I’m not sure how far he managed to get through the album, but for some reason, I imagine that it was this -- the record’s brilliant second track – that made him reach for the stop button. Considering this has always been a song that my musical brain just instantly "got", it’s intriguing how the brain of my father, a musician, (from whom I received 23 chromosomes) couldn't comprehend it.
2: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles: In the hall of overrated (Motown) songwriters: Exhibit A.
3: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy: Screams dated. Not my thing.
4: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police: I’d like to think I’m above judging music based on the personality of its creator(s), but this song tempts me to regress.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
1: "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead: The gloriously haunting highlight of Amnesiac; without question, the best thing on the record. To this day, I still have no clue what the time signature is, which might explain why the entrance of Selway's jazzy fills at 1'58" sound so incredibly good (even if they don't quite solve the rhythmic mystery). Listen for the terrific contrast of music and lyrical phrasing (that only Radiohead can pull off) during: “and we all went to heaven in a little row boat”.
2: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin: I'll admit, the lyrics are not good. But the song still works, and wondrously at that.
3: "Song 2" - Blur: A blast of noise that sounds like nothing else they did. Probably explains why I like it.
4: "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie: Even though I enjoy it, this gets 4th by virtue of being in a strong bracket.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1: "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen: A deceptive #1. Pointless, self-indulgent rock-opera wankery at its worst. And if you subscribe to the notion of songwriting as a vehicle for emotional expression, this is clearly the opposite. The best out of the worst in this bracket.
2: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals: Always struck me as somewhat dull; no real hook or dynamics to be found.
3: "Marquee Moon" – Television: Far, far too long, and too little melody to be enjoyable.
4: "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground: Easiest #4 of the week. To me, the musical equivalent of eating a boiling potato with a glass of luke warm water.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum: A week of breathtaking brackets – I love all 16 of these songs, and ranking them is very difficult. PH’s brilliant debut single gets the nod here because over the years it’s quietly become one of my all-time favorites – there’s nothing about it that isn’t perfect, from the cryptic lyrics to Gary Brooker’s soulful vocal to Matthew Fisher’s glorious organ washes.
2. "My Generation" - The Who: #1 is stately; #’s 2 and 3 are anything but. Even 45 years (!) later, this record still sounds like it’s in imminent danger of complete collapse at any moment, a perfect musical mirroring of the manic adolescent mindset delineated in Townshend’s lyrics; the final minute or so is about as unhinged as rock has ever gotten.
3. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes: It would be glib to say that the difference between #2 and #3 is the difference between Keith Moon and Meg White, but there you go. In any case, Meg’s monolithic wallop is a perfect fit with Jack’s swagger on the amazing opening track of one of the past decade’s finest albums.
4. "Ms. Jackson" – OutKast: Can we have a three-way tie for second place? Andre and Big Boi’s alternately heartfelt (startlingly so on occasion, thanks to Andre) and bitter (also startlingly so, thanks to Big Boi) salute to baby’s mama’s mamas is another great single from a defining 2000s album.

1. "Paranoid Android" – Radiohead: The best track on our #1 album of all time is the easiest #1 of the week. As mind-expanding and thrilling as it was when it was first released. (Man, has it really been 13 years? OK COMPUTER is now two years older than WHO’S NEXT was when I started buying records. I feel old…)
2. "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles: One of Smokey’s, and Motown’s finest – brilliant song (Pagliacci!), brilliant production. As I’ve said before, it’s hard to believe that it spent three years languishing as a throwaway album track before it became a hit.
3. "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy: An explosive, confrontational single (commissioned by Spike Lee as the most perfect opening imaginable to DO THE RIGHT THING, one of the great American films) that served notice that PE’s follow-up to IT TAKES A NATION… would go even further lyrically and musically. Which it did.
4. "Every Breath You Take" - The Police: One of the biggest hit singles of all time, and deservedly so. But it’s somewhat worn out its welcome in a way that its companions in this bracket haven’t.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin: For me, this is the easiest of this week’s brackets to fill out, beginning with classic rock’s perpetual #1 song. God knows it’s overplayed, but there’s a REASON for that, you know?
2. "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie: Bowie’s best, in my opinion. The majestic centerpiece of HUNKY DORY would be #1 in a lot of Round 2 brackets.
3. "Pyramid Song" – Radiohead: A great, eerie track, but no match for the top two here.
4. "Song 2" – Blur: Did Albarn have any idea this wonderfully abrasive little toss-off would become Blur’s signature track (at least over here, where it became an instant fixture in commercials and at sporting events)?

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Marquee Moon" – Television: Going with the 10-minute epic at #1 might seem like the obvious choice. But it’s an extraordinary track that perfectly encapsulates everything great about both the band and their classic debut album, particularly the guitar styles of Lloyd (get in, get out, no muss, no fuss) and Verlaine (sinuous and hypnotic) – wildly different, yet somehow totally in sync.
2. "Bohemian Rhapsody" – Queen: Possibly the only recording that actually deserves to be called a “rock opera”; still jaw-droppingly audacious and blissfully hysterical after all these years.
3. "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals: There was Herman’s Hermits, and then there was THIS – the dark side of The British Invasion, a masterful organ-drenched blues/folk epic that must have made everything that surrounded it on ’64 top 40 radio sound utterly stupid by comparison.
4. "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground: It hurts – physically, almost – to have a track as amazing as this at #4, but that’s the nature of the game. Lou Reed is probably the most romantic misanthrope in history, and this is one of the great songs about the transformative powers of music.

#305: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead : not my favourite song of OK Computer (I'd prefer at least CLimbing up the Walls, Airbag, Electioneering, No Surprises and Exit Music) but still, the first 2 minutes are perfect and the rest is challenging in a good way. And for that matter, easily more appealing to me than anything else in that bracket.
#49: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police : I'm pretty sure it's voluntary creepy... I will always find hilarious that so many people consider it as their love song. And I don't think there has been many better ballads on the radio since that anyway.
#80: "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy : I never liked the PE sound, but that one and a few others sound pretty good
#336: "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles : good song but nothing tremendous

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1 - "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum
2 - "My Generation" - The Who
3 - "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast
4 - "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
Pretty easy win for Procol Harum - dated or not,amazing track - love it. 'My Generation' is a classic iconic track from the Who,not in my top 5 of theirs though. 'Ms. Jackson' is one of the few memorable moments in rap for me in the last decade. I've always wanted to get into the White Stripes more,but they never really hit the mark. 7 Nation Army is decent enough,not good enough in this group though...

1 - "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead
2 - "Every Breath You Take" - The Police
3 - "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy
4 - "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
Absolutely immense track from Radiohead,'Let Down' is my top Radiohead moment,but this is breathtaking also. 'Every Breath You Take' has slipped well down my list over the years,overplayed. In many years time,it will probably be the sampled 'I'll Be Missing You' that will live on longer in my memory - it was one of the first songs that I loved. 'Fight The Power' is one of the few PE tracks I enjoy,still overrated in my book. 'Tears Of A Clown' is OK,definitely not up to it here though.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
1 - "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie
2 - "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
3 - "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead
4 - "Song 2" - Blur
'Life on Mars' is easily one of Bowie's best,which makes it one of the best by anyone. The ending is great. 'Stairway To Heaven' is overplayed and I've always found it overrated,starting to like it a bit more of late though. 'Pyramid Song' is decent,never found it as amazing as many others though. 'Song 2' is the easy #4 - enjoyable,but nothing too special.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1 - "Marquee Moon" - Television
2 - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
3 - "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals
4 - "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground
Two absolute epics here - both would have a great chance of winning most brackets. The order I'd have them could change from day to day. 'Marquee Moon' is obviously brilliant - never seems long or self indulgent. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is possibly the track that has been voted the #1 of all time the most times,yet still divides opinion. History will remember it as one of the key tracks of the 70s. 'House Of The Rising Sun' is amazing and I often forget this song and band - unlucky to be lumped in with the 2 above. 'Rock & Roll' is a classic track also,but sounds so minor in this company...

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

My generation's most recognizable rock riff.

Its infectious hook appeals to rap fans, people who hate rap, and the mainstream.

I don't think this song has aged well or has anything particularly special about it.

Overplayed, with an annoying hook and an overlong running time. Just because it attempts to summarize the 60s music scene in one single doesn't mean it should be praised well beyond its merit.

An incredible work of progressive rock. Its genius song structure includes many incredible moments, giving it undeniable appeal despite its complete separation from the radio alt-rock scene.

Public Enemy somehow managed to be anti-establishment without being annoying or preachy.

The main riff is a little goofy, and the lyrics are a little too similar to "Tracks of My Tears," but this is a fantastic single that is truly one of Motown's best works.

With a song like "My Generation," I dislike it but understand its critical appeal. With this song, I have literally no idea why it's even remotely acclaimed.

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17

An art-pop tour-de-force with amazing piano playing and some of Bowie's most delightfully obtuse lyrics.

Possibly the most exciting song to listen to, and it certainly doesn't wear out its welcome. Blur might have better songs ("Coffee and TV" is my favorite), but not as many as their fans may suggest.

I haven't listened to this by choice in almost a year. I really like the ending of the song, but its lyrics are abysmal and derive it of true transcendence.

I used to really like this song, but nothing about it strikes me as special anymore. With better lyrics it might be the masterpiece many believe it to be.

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18

What a loaded bracket. Every bracket in this round should have this kind of quality. "Marquee Moon" is truly a work of art, with incredible pacing and a dreamy atmosphere that culminates in some of my favorite guitar work ever during the final moments of its lengthy solo.

One of the best and most convincingly performed songs in the 60s rock canon. The vocal performance here is perhaps the best ever by a white male.

I don't understand the hate for this song; it is in fact the best song with this title. The one-two punch of this and "Sweet Jane" absolutely carries the Loaded album.

I like most parts of this song, but the rock opera part in the middle was a huge misstep that I genuinely cannot see why people enjoy it. Brian May's guitar work is excellent as usual though.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast
Tricky bracket for me, as any of these first three could be in the number one spot. In the end, this one gets the edge. This was such a monster hit back in '01, and for good reason; it's the kind of hip-hop song that easily crosses over into the mainstream without losing any of its credibility in the rap world. Sure, the idea that this is a song written to the mother of the mother of a child born out of wedlock was pretty mind-blowing back then, but it still is today. Truly a timeless song.
2. "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum
Procol Harum gets the edge over the White Stripes today, but tomorrow it could be something different. There's just something about baroque pop like this that appeals to me on a very deep level. On top of that, the Bach-esque organ riff is just so alluring. I could listen to this song many, many times before I ever tired of it.
3. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
Brutal to put this one in the #3 spot, but as Kurtis Blow would say, these are the breaks. Break it up, break it up, break down! As someone else noted, those opening couple of notes are so iconic and set the stage so perfectly for the song. But as no one else has noted (unless I skimmed over it, in which case, mea culpa), the video for this song was pretty damn good too. But then, the White Stripes have always had exceptional videos.
4. "My Generation" - The Who
Just not really a fan. It seems way too gimmicky for me. The "we're rebelling against authority" stance feels very forced and unnatural. Maybe if I were alive back when this song first came out, I would understand the sentiment, but too much stuff has come out since then that resonates with me more than this one does.

And in honor of schleuse, MOPS: "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast

1. "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy
Yeah, the lines where PE diss John Wayne and Elvis Presley still make my jaw drop every time I hear them. And yes, it's hard for me to hear this song and NOT think of one of my all-time favorite movies, "Do the Right Thing." But the song is quite possibly the greatest protest song EVER. Terms like "righteous anger" were coined for songs like this. And that final verse... Even a whiter-than-white boy like me can appreciate the feelings of black power there. Amazing, amazing song.
2. "Every Breath You Take" - The Police
I actually picked all four of the songs in this bracket, but I have a pretty good feeling that my vote here won't prevent Radiohead from cruising to a win. Sure, it's overplayed and it's not the most complex song musically, but this one has always been a favorite of mine. Every time I think that "King of Pain" is my favorite track off "Synchronicity" (and oh, do I love "King of Pain"), I have to remind myself that this one is there too.
3. "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
For me, this is a better-than-average soul song, until the Miracles come in with some truly ethereal harmonies (right when Smokey sings "Really I'm sad"). Then the chorus kicks in with some really underrated lyrics: "Now there's some sad things known to man/But ain't too much sadder than the tears of a clown/When there's no one around" I feel bad that I'm putting it in the #3 spot here, but that's just the way it goes.
4. "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead
A couple of weeks ago, I made some fairly disparaging comments about Radiohead, and I'd like to note that I do not hate Radiohead. I own all their studio albums. I've listened to them many, many times. I agree that they are a very talented quintet of guys and that they make some great music. But I feel like this band gets more credit on this board than they deserve. To quote the song "Thou Shalt Always Kill," Radiohead is just a band. They aren't the second coming of Jesus. They're just a band.
Do I love "OK Computer"? Yes. Is this a great song? Yes. But week in and week out, I read on this board about how great Radiohead is and I begin to question just how accurate that is. I personally believe that some bands are better at producing great songs and some bands are better at producing great albums. For me, Radiohead lands firmly within the second category. That's not to say that the individual songs are bad, but they work SO MUCH BETTER as part of the whole.
Every Radiohead album (especially "OK Computer"), to me at least, is greater than the sum of its parts. Take a song out of the album, and it loses a lot of its greatness. And to tell the truth, no song better sums up that feeling than "Paranoid Android". Listen to this song out of the context of "OK Computer," and it loses a lot of its impact.
I'm at the point now where I feel so jaded by this board's blind devotion to Radiohead that I'm going to be putting every Radiohead song in the #4 spot from here on out. (Well, I might not be doing that for "Fake Plastic Trees"...)

MOPS: "Every Breath You Take" - The Police (Yes, I changed my pick.)

HANDEL BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
Going chalk here, but I'm not happy about it. As much as I think this is an overrated song, I just can't justify putting any of the other songs here above it.
2. "Song 2" - Blur
This is the kind of song where you can't listen to it without associating it with some non-Blur form of media. For some it's FIFA 98, but for me it's this video. And yes, I know that I linked to this video back in Round 1, but I just can't help laughing when I watch it. Especially the "no hands" bit that Clive Owen does near the end.
But back to what I was saying before about association. The fact that this song has been optioned for so many different sources (video games, advertisements, etc.) actually works against it. It's impossible to hear this song and think of Blur. In a way, the song has almost become a joke. It was never intended to be a "Blur" song; it was meant to be a parody of grunge music. But it was embraced by grunge fans and now people automatically lump it in with that genre.
That said, it's still a hell of a lot of fun and I'll always love it.
3. "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie
Another YouTube video for you. Don't get me wrong, Bowie's version is superior. But this is the one I usually think of, if only because I'm a big fan of the Bad Plus. By the way, check out their versions of "Chariots of Fire," "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," and "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
4. "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead
I refer you to my comments for "Paranoid Android" in the above bracket. The only thing I'll say about this song is that it's easily the best song off "Amnesiac," but that's not much of an accomplishment.

MOPS: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

CHOPIN BLOC, BRACKET 18
1. "Marquee Moon" - Television
I originally had the Animals in the top spot, but I've fallen too much in love with this song to deny it. There is nothing about this song that I would change. Perfection in every note.
2. "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals
Perhaps the biggest victim this week of overplaying. I'll be the first to admit that this is a great song, but at this point, I just have heard it enough times for now. I'd happily listen to the ten-minute greatness that is "Marquee Moon" over this one any day.
3. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen
Definitely a classic, but a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.
4. "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground
Yes, the Velvet Underground was a great band, but like Radiohead, I think that they tend to get a pass by this board simply because it's the Velvet Underground.

MOPS: "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals (Again, I changed my mind.)

RESULTS

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "My Generation" - The Who (51 points, 6 first-place votes)
2. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast (51, 6)
3. "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Procol Harum (46, 4)
4. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes (42, 3)

"My Generation" took an early lead in this one, but OutKast managed to keep it close all week long. It wasn't until the last ballot came in that André 3000 and Big Boi managed to tie things up with Daltrey, Townshend, Entwistle and Moon. Since both songs also had six first-place votes, the second tie-breaker went into effect. Ultimately, the Who finished higher than OutKast on 10 of the 19 ballots, while OutKast finished higher on only 9 ballots. "My Generation" advances.

1. "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead (66, 14)
2. "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy (44, 2)
3. "Every Breath You Take" - The Police (43, 2)
4. "Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles (37, 1)

In news that EVERYONE should have seen coming, Radiohead cruises through to the third round in convincing fashion. Only five people did not have "Paranoid Android" in first place here.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin (59, 10)
2. "Life on Mars?" - David Bowie (51, 3)
3. "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead (46, 6)
4. "Song 2" - Blur (34, 0)

Led Zeppelin took an early lead, getting the top spot on the first four ballots, but Radiohead managed to make it interesting about halfway through the week. Ultimately, Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham had more than enough to pull through, and they advance to Round 3, where they will face off against R.E.M. At last, the question will be answered of whether or not you need a stairway to heaven in order to lose your religion.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Marquee Moon" - Television (57, 10)
2. "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals (55, 5)
3. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen (47, 3)
4. "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground (31, 1)
In a come-from-behind victory, Tom Verlaine and co. manage to squeak out the late win. Queen took an early lead, and the Animals slowly overtook them, but Television hung around all week long. The final four ballots (all putting "Marquee Moon" in first) sent this song into the third round.

I really wished I had switched "Seven Nation Army" and "Ms. Jackson" on my ballot in order to provide a more interesting result in that bracket. I'm glad "Marquee Moon" beat out "Bohemian Rhapsody," but I thought that forum favorite "Life on Mars?" could take down Zeppelin.

Marquee Moon isscrewed in the next round:
Up against A Change is Gonna Come, Gimme Shelter and Psycho Killer

Week 9's brackets absolutely suck by way of comparison.

Almost every song here would top any of those brackets for me. One More Time would provide the only real competition.

Listyguy
Marquee Moon isscrewed in the next round:
Up against A Change is Gonna Come, Gimme Shelter and Psycho Killer

I made a mistake up above. "Marquee Moon" isn't in the Bach Bloc; it's in the Chopin Bloc. It will be taking on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and two TBD songs.

Ddiamondd
Week 9's brackets absolutely suck by way of comparison.

Almost every song here would top any of those brackets for me. One More Time would provide the only real competition.

I totally agree with that.