#8 (478) Everclear vs. #9 (547) Big Star
#5 (291) Busta Rhymes vs. #12 (734) Julian Lennon
#4 (222) Counting Crows vs. #13 (803) The La's
#3 (163) The Carpenters vs. #14 (862) The Dandy Warhols
#6 (350) Midnight Oil vs. #11 (675) Slayer
#7 (419) The Flaming Lips vs. #10 (606) The Shangri-La's
#2 (94) Alice In Chains vs. #15 (931) Crash Test Dummies

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #36

#1 (35) Radiohead (I couldn't in good conscience pick Glasvegas, but it's not even that far apart)
#9 (547) Big Star
#5 (291) Busta Rhymes
#13 (803) The La's
#14 (862) The Dandy Warhols
#11 (675) Slayer
#7 (419) The Flaming Lips
#15 (931) Crash Test Dummies

#1 (35) Radiohead
#9 (547) Big Star
#4 (222) Counting Crows
#6 (350) Midnight Oil
#2 (94) Alice In Chains

Radiohead... Many people consider them one of the best bands to come around over the past 20 years, I'm one of them...

Big Star... I am a big fan of 'Sparkle And Fade', but overall Everclear bores me...

Busta... Julian Lennon came and went in the 80's, didn't leave enough of an impression...

Counting Crows... This is tough because CC doesn't have a song anywhere near as good as "There She Goes", but The La's are lacking enough of a catalog to get my vote and I kinda liked the firs couple of Counting Crows albums...

Dandy Warhols... Great band, never cared for The Carpenters...

Midnight Oil... tough matchup, I just like Midnight Oil a little more...

Flaming Lips... another tough matchup, Shangri-La's have some impressive tracks, but the overall body of work leans me to The Flaming Lips...

AIC... Finally, an easy one!!!

#1 Radiohead
#9 Big Star
#5 Busta Rhymes
#4 Counting Crows
#3 The Carpenters
#11 Slayer
#7 The Flaming Lips
#2 Alice in Chains

Radiohead
Big Star
The La's
Slayer
The Flaming Lips

#1 (35) Radiohead
#9 (547) Big Star
#5 (291) Busta Rhymes
#13 (803) The La's
#3 (163) The Carpenters
#6 (350) Midnight Oil
#2 (94) Alice In Chains

voting out the Shangri-la's is painful.

16.Glasvegas (sympathy vote. They're a good band that doesn't derserve to be shut out completely)
9. Big Star
5. Busta Rhymes
13. The La's
3. The Dandy Warhols
11. Slayer
7. The Flaming Lips
2. Alice in Chains

#1 (35) Radiohead
#9 (547) Big Star
#5 (291) Busta Rhymes
#13 (803) The La's
#3 (163) The Carpenters
#11 (675) Slayer
#7 (419) The Flaming Lips #
2 (94) Alice In Chains

#1 (35) Radiohead
#9 (547) Big Star
#5 (291) Busta Rhymes
#13 (803) The La's
#3 (163) The Carpenters
#6 (350) Midnight Oil
#2 (94) Alice In Chains

Radiohead
Big Star
The La's
Slayer
Flaming Lips
Alice in Chains

#1 Radiohead
#9 Big Star - I like some of Everclear's tracks, even if they all sound the same. But whoo boy I am glad to have finally got some Big Star in my collection this past year.
#5 Busta Rhymes - Wonderful. He may be my favorite muppet. (Love Whoo-Ha! Got You All in Check and his verse on Scenario)
#4 Counting Crows - Shuold I have listened to the La's whole album before voting? Probably. It's not like Counting Crows do much for me. But There She Goes is a bit overrated.
#14 The Dandy Warhols
#6 Midnight Oil
#10 The Shangri-La's - Listen. No one is forcing any of you to vote for one of the most overrated band. Let me be clear. The Flaming Lips do not deserve it. But I'll tell you who does. The incomparable Mary Weiss. If you vote for her, she'll give you a great big kiss.
#15 Crash Test Dummies - Okay. The Flaming Lips are better than Alice in Chains.

1. Radiohead
9. Big Star
5. Busta Rhyms
13. The La’s
3. The Carpenters
6. Midnight Oil

Um….AAAARRGH! Flaming Lips vs. Shangri-La’s? That’s just cruel; both groups deserve to win a round or two. Ah well…there will be many difficult choices down the road, so I s’pose we’re at least getting this one out of the way now…

7. The Flaming Lips
2. Alice in Chains

MOST UNDERRATED
Big Star (UMT 547, AM 135); Radiohead (UMT 35, AM 10); The Flaming Lips (UMT 419, AM 139).

MOST OVERRATED
Alice in Chains (UMT 94, AM 617); Counting Crows (UMT 222, AM 1217); Everclear (UMT 478, AM 1835).

NOT AM RANKED
Julian Lennon, Crash Test Dummies.

CLOSEST
Glasvegas (UMT 990, AM 1103).

MIDNIGHT OIL!

Oh, let me say something about a subject that came up in the thread for the previous bracket:

When this thing started, I made a point of at least looking up bands I didn’t know on YouTube before I cast a vote, just as a matter of principle. I’ve gotten slack about that lately. In some cases, I’ll abstain, especially if it’s a matchup with nobody I really care about.

In others…well, iirc, I had never heard of the band up against the Stones (don’t even remember now who it was). What is the likelihood I’m going to listen to them and think, “Wow, these guys are actually better!”?

To be frank, a lot of the lower seeds I do recognize happen to be, in my opinion, derivative crap (some of the higher seeds, as well...). Which does not favorably dispose me toward checking out a non-AM-ranked one-hit wonder who is only showing up on my radar now, especially when I’m pressed for time, as I usually am. Snobbish? Sure. But.

Part of the appeal of what Slick’s doing is that it’s quick-and-dirty; we’ll get through more than 1000 artists in 2-3 months. So I’ve decided not to feel TOO guilty about the fact that, in that time, there are probably fifty or so bands I’ve never heard of before, and whom I will never think about again. No doubt I’m missing a handful of hidden gems, but hey, we’re dealing in bulk right now. I’ll sweat the small stuff much more once we’re at the level of Smiths v. Who or Pet Shop Boys v. Joy Division.*

(* - I just made up those matchups as two that would make me tear my hair out.)

Radiohead
Big Star
Busta Rhymes
The La's
Slayer
Shangri-La's
Alice in Chains

schleuse
Oh, let me say something about a subject that came up in the thread for the previous bracket:

When this thing started, I made a point of at least looking up bands I didn’t know on YouTube before I cast a vote, just as a matter of principle. I’ve gotten slack about that lately. In some cases, I’ll abstain, especially if it’s a matchup with nobody I really care about.

In others…well, iirc, I had never heard of the band up against the Stones (don’t even remember now who it was). What is the likelihood I’m going to listen to them and think, “Wow, these guys are actually better!”?

To be frank, a lot of the lower seeds I do recognize happen to be, in my opinion, derivative crap (some of the higher seeds, as well...). Which does not favorably dispose me toward checking out a non-AM-ranked one-hit wonder who is only showing up on my radar now, especially when I’m pressed for time, as I usually am. Snobbish? Sure. But.

Part of the appeal of what Slick’s doing is that it’s quick-and-dirty; we’ll get through more than 1000 artists in 2-3 months. So I’ve decided not to feel TOO guilty about the fact that, in that time, there are probably fifty or so bands I’ve never heard of before, and whom I will never think about again. No doubt I’m missing a handful of hidden gems, but hey, we’re dealing in bulk right now. I’ll sweat the small stuff much more once we’re at the level of Smiths v. Who or Pet Shop Boys v. Joy Division.*

(* - I just made up those matchups as two that would make me tear my hair out.)

A quick update...

The 1st round which is 1024 artists has about 5 weeks left...

Then the second round, where we will double up the original 64 brackets into 32 days worth of 8 matchups each day, lasting about 5 weeks...

From their this thing will fly for about 5 weeks and the matchups will get really tough as the also rans get eliminated and the big boys square off. If that happens, we should crown a champion by the end of August.

#16 Glasvegas - probably get kicked off the forum for this one :) In all seriousness, it seems you either get Radiohead, or you don't, and I don't. I hadn't heard of Glasvegas, so I sampled some songs on ilike.com, and found them much more enjoyable to listen to.
#8 Everclear
#5 Busta Rhymes - this was a hard choice...not because I'm a fan of either, but it was just hard to pick a preference. I liked "Valotte" a lot, but I really got sick of "Too Late for Goodbyes". Similarly, I really liked "Gimme Some More", but found "Pass the Courvoisier" to be obnoxiously overplayed. But hey, Busta had a more consistent career, so he's the pick. Too many words.
#4 Counting Crows - my feelings on this matchup mirror Slick's
#14 The Dandy Warhols - the Dandys have a decent sound, but I'm kinda voting against the Carps here
#6 Midnight Oil - interesting pattern...Slade [slayed] in Bracket 33, Slaughter in Bracket 35 and now Slayer...
#10 The Shangri-Las - "Leader of the Pack" is a classic. The Flaming Lips definitely have their own thing going...just not sure it's a good thing.
#15 Crash Test Dummies - did I just vote against Alice in Chains? MMM, MMM, MMM, MMM

Winners in #36...

Radiohead 93.5% / Glasvegas 6.5%
Big Star 58.1% / Everclear 41.9%
Busta Rhymes 78.6% / Julian Lennon 21.4%
Counting Crows 58.1% / The La's 41.9%
The Carpenters 64.3% / The Dandy Warhols 35.7%
Midnight Oil 59.4% / Slayer 40.6%
The Flaming Lips 71.0% / The Shangri-La's 29.0%
Alice In Chains 90.0% / Crash Test Dummies 10.0%