The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology, Round 2, Week 7

ROUND 2, WEEK 7

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
#47: "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes
#82: "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown
#210: "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies
#338: "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
#5: "Respect" - Aretha Franklin
#252: "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult
#636: "So What" - Miles Davis
#645: "Epic" - Faith No More

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#14: "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley
#142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes
#270: "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido)
#398: "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke
#223: "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane
#351: "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles
#546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain

REMINDER: You must comment on ALL the songs in order for your ballot to count.

Re: Bracketology, Round 2, Week 7

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
#338: "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure : the fight between this one and How Soon is Now is the one I remember the most from the 1st round since it seemed so unfair to me that they have to meet so soon ; those are the 2 cruellest songs of the 80s, but the catchiest won the fight
#82: "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown : definition of funk ?
#210: "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies : I love that part with the numbers, but not the remaining as much
#47: "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes : have I already told you how much this album (and almost everything Clapton did) hurt my ears ? In the Clapton canon, that song is incredibly good, but in a "Bracketology Round 2" situation, it stands no chance

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
#645: "Epic" - Faith No More : There are tons of things I should not like here, but I'm just crazy about this song since the first time I heard it : I don't like much how Patton syncopates but I love how mocking he is ; and that's one of the greatest outro ever.
#5: "Respect" - Aretha Franklin : it takes a personal favourite to win against this total classic
#636: "So What" - Miles Davis : I'm no jazz fan but of every jazz songs were that good (and accessible), I might find it easier to dig this genre
#252: "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult : *insert cowbell joke here* ; not as bad as some might say but as not aged very well

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#398: "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King : no it's not
#270: "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido) : one of the best example of storytelling in a song of the past decade, probably one of the best produced too... just still not convinced that the chorus fits here
#142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes : one of those perfect r&b songs of the 60's, but "just" one among others
#14: "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley : Elvis really makes us feel his loneliness through his voice, but the music don't stand up to it

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke : that's the greatest soul song, the one that easily buries any song from What's Going On
#351: "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles : one of the Beatles silliest hit, but still a great Beatles hit
#223: "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane : sounds like something I have not dug enough yet
#546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain : I used to hate that song but I'm starting to enjoy it a bit... still, they sound to unconcerned for me

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
#82: "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown (Perfect soul, funk. James Brown rocks)
#47: "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes (I betraying my avatar by putting this here, but it's hurtin me more than it's hurting the song)
#338: "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure (Another great song)
#210: "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies (They have better songs)

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
#252: "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult (Go cowbell!)
#5: "Respect" - Aretha Franklin (Another damn good song at 2)
#636: "So What" - Miles Davis (Kind of blue)
#645: "Epic" - Faith No More (Good, but not good enough)

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#14: "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (He's the king for a reason)
#142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes (No chance against Elvis)
#398: "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King (Good guitar)
#270: "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido) (I've said it before, I'll say it again: I hate rap)

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
#223: "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane (Go ask alice what I think of this song)
#351: "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles (Love it)
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke (Revolution music)
#546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain (The song is just bad)

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19 (average)
1. #47: "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes / Very close bracket. Actually only this one stands out. The wonderful outro does it for me, I even prefer it to the rest of the song.
2. #82: "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown / Could have been Pixies or The Cure as well. I guess I can listen more often to this one than to the next two.
3. #210: "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies / Good and fun. One of the better or even the best Pixies songs in my opinion.
4. #338: "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure / Fun as well and I am sorry to put this one in fourth place. When I think about The Cure, I think of this kind of music.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17 (weak)
1. #636: "So What" - Miles Davis / I like it a lot, but normally I don't listen to jazz tracks, I listen to jazz albums and appreciate it likewise. But the competition allows this one to be put at the top anyway.
2. #5: "Respect" - Aretha Franklin / Fun and overrated. I don't like the R to the E-S-P-E-C-T part. The voice is very good, but the music is just not that interesting.
3. #252: "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult / O.K. song, but I don't really like the weeping guitars. Nevertheless, definitely better than the next one.
4. #645: "Epic" - Faith No More / I do not like this or Faith No More in general. There's not much more to say about for me. Just won't listen to this if I don't have to.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17 (average)
1. #398: "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King / I think I could like this one a lot. Some live versions are really great. I don't really know that to think of the brass-section though.
2. #270: "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido) / Nice story-telling rap. I guess it's the best of Eminem's tracks. The Dido-chorus fits in remarkably well.
3. #142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes / Fun. Nice song. Third place fits this one well in this round.
4. #14: "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley / I don't like to say it, but I'll say it anyway: too dated. Again a matter of great voice, but less than great music.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19 (strong)
1. #223: "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane / An old favorite of mine and my favorite Airplane song. A lot happens in a short time. It is superb towards the ending. Has everyting I like about the psychedelic rock music of their time and age.
2. #95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke / It's all about the voice, but this time the music actually is good enough to support it. I like this one more and more.
3. #351: "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles / Good and interesting Lennon-song, but maybe a little too weird for weirdness sake to rank among the Beatles best.
4. #546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain / Not bad at all, but not good enough to be placed higher than fourth in this bracket.

Listyguy

#270: "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido) (I've said it before, I'll say it again: I hate rap)

Every single rap song?

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago, there was someone who wanted to participate, but struggled some with English. If it's easier for people, feel free to post your comments in your own language. Obviously I think we'd all prefer English, but I won't disqualify a ballot if it's Portuguese, Albanian, Thai, or whatever language.

Midaso
Listyguy

Every single rap song?

It seems so, he voted against "Hey Ya" on the basis that it is a rap song. I guess he still is at the age where you have to decide wether you like rap or rock (or metal or electro I suppose) and despise the rest.

Matt Schroeder
I noticed that a couple of weeks ago, there was someone who wanted to participate, but struggled some with English. If it's easier for people, feel free to post your comments in your own language. Obviously I think we'd all prefer English, but I won't disqualify a ballot if it's Portuguese, Albanian, Thai, or whatever language.

Thanks a lot !

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
Un classique absolu, un monument du Funk, une des plus belles chansons jamais écrite, la naissance d'un genre. La perfection faite musique ?
Un classique d'un autre genre. Très bonne mélodie mais un peu ennuyante. Une bonne scie musicale ?!
Je ne connaissais pas la chanson correctement, une énergie rentrée, étonnante.
PAs à mon goût, mais une bonne chason des Cure.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
Comme le tube de Brown dans le bloc précédent, une chanson intemporelle, que tout le monde connaît, une voix à se damner. Un énorme classique.
Un des gros tubes du jazz...qui pourrait presque faire aimer le jazz à ceux qui le déteste.
Je ne connaissais pas. Pour moi, sans aucun intérêt.
Comme le précédent, mais en pire. Je me demande même comment une chanson comme celle-ci peut apparaître ici. on dirait une mauvaise parodie d'un très mauvais groupe ????

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
Sublime chanson. Encore un classique. Mais heureusement qu'elle se trouve dans ce groupe un peu plus faible à mon sens.
Le blues dans toute sa splendeur. Une merveille.
Moi qui n'aime pas le rap non plus, il y a quelques chansons qui échappent tout de même à la règle, et celle-ci en fait partie - surtout grace à Dido ???
Pas ma tasse de thé tout simplement.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
A croire que c'est la soul que je prèfère ! Comment ne pas mettre cette chanson en premier. La voix admirable de Cooke posée sur une mélodie d'enfer. Géniale.
Une très bonne chanson des Beatles...une de leurs meilleurs ? Originale et délirante.
Une chanson moyenne qui ne me fait ni chaud ni froid.
Tout ce que je n'aime pas dans la musique est réuni ici. Bravo.

Thanks for let strangers put comments on her own language.

Nassim
Midaso
Listyguy

Every single rap song?

It seems so, he voted against "Hey Ya" on the basis that it is a rap song. I guess he still is at the age where you have to decide wether you like rap or rock (or metal or electro I suppose) and despise the rest.

ohhh do I remember that age...oh middle school, I'm so glad you're far in the past...

Romain

Funny, I didn't know one could use that expression in French as well. Sounds so very English to me.

Gillingham
Romain

Funny, I didn't know one could use that expression in French as well. Sounds so very English to me.

It's clearly an English expression in the beginning ! I can put "Pas mon verre de vin, tout simplement" if you prefer ?

Romain
WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17

[...]
Thanks for let strangers put comments on her own language.

Translation (I guess nicolas would be better than me for this, but he might also be busier):

An absolute classic, a Funk monument, one of the most beautiful song ever written, the birth of a genre. Perfection turn into music ?
A classic of another kind. Very good melody but a bit boring. A good musical saw ?!
I did not know this song correctly, restrained energy, surprising.
Not my taste, but a good Cure song

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
Like Brown hit in the former bracket, a timeless song everybody knows, a voice to damn yourself. A huge classic.
One of jazz biggest hits... which almost make people who hate jazz like it.
I did not know it. For me, no interest.
Like the former, but worse. I even wonder how such a song can appear here. Sounds like a bad parody of a horrid band ???? (note of the translator : I do not agree at all ! Romain, m'enfin, comment oses-tu dire ça ? Cette chanson est une merveille !)

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
Sublime song. Another classic. Fortunate to find itself in this quite week bracket in my opinion.
Blues in all its splendor. A wonder
For me who don't like rap either, there are some songs who escape the rule, and this is one of them - mostly thanks to dido ???
Simply not my cup of tea.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
Looks like it is soul that I enjoy the most! How not to put this song first ? Cooke admirable voice over an heavenly melody. Genious.
A very good Beatles song... one of their best? Eccentric and ecstatic.
A song that does not matter one way or the other to me.
Everything I don't like in music is gathered here. Congratulations.

Nassim, but I don't want to give job to anybody.
For Epic, I maybe retry but I listen all these songs two times before voting and ....je n'ai vraiment pas compris...soit je suis passé à côté de quelque chose, soit je n'ai pas entendu la bonne chanson, mais vraiment, on aurait dit un scetch des Inconnus parodiant des musicos !

J'avoue le clip ressemble à un clip des Inconnus, mais la chanson, ce riff, ce final au piano, cette énergie... sans compter que ça date de 89, ça a été pillé depuis mais à l'époque c'était 100% inédit !

Nick
Nassim
Midaso
Listyguy

Every single rap song?

ohhh do I remember that age...oh middle school, I'm so glad you're far in the past...

I'm not a fan of acid metal, and I do like a fair bit of R&B, alternative, and yes, a little disco.

As for rap, I do like some Run-DMC (Rock Box)

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
Duane Allman and Eric Clapton playing their hearts out. Very few songs will end up rated higher by me than Layla.
One of my favorite songs by The Cure. Very easy to place this below Layla.
I'm not a big Brown fan, but my admiration and enjoyment of his songs have grown very much over the past few years. This is one of my favorite Brown songs.
One of the few Pixies songs that I readily enjoy, but pretty easy for me to place it fourth in this bracket.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
I love the weeping guitars, and was very happy when I added this song to my I-tunes collection earlier this year.
Absolutely great song. But, I have heard it so many times that I could be tempted to skip it in favor of my top selection in this bracket.
I respect Miles and his music. But, I don't yet love it.
Easy to place this below the other three tracks in this bracket.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
Great energy and nice guitar.
One of the best songs by the Supremes. Some could argue that the sound is dated, but I still love it.
Excellent song, but I prefer the two tracks above.
A good song by Eminem, but rap isn't my favorite genre.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19

While I prefer "Somebody to Love" this song works very well for me.
Great vocals, very emotional. Orchestra introduction makes it sound a bit dated. Pretty tough call for me to place this at number two in this bracket. Could easily have been number 1.
Adventurous song for the Beatles, but I don't play it very often, and wonder how many of the rest of the AMers do.
As much as I've tried to understand why this song is rated so high, I find that it is just okay for me.

Gillingham
Romain

I'm using that in my French GCSE now :D - "Le weekend dernier je suis alle au cinema, et j'ai regarde une comedie mais ce n'etait pas ma tasse de the, tout simplement." Woop!
I only have time to do one bracket, but it is one I'm astonished at:

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19

1. JAMC - Just Like Honey - excellent song! I can't honestly believe that most people have put this last. I can understand people being disillusioned by the JAMC (I myself am not a big fan) because it just sounds like noise and toneless guitars, but Just Like Honey doesn't have that! It has that brilliant drum intro, then the melodic, sweet guitars come delicately in, before those apathetic vocals enter, hiding lyrics much more sleazy ("I'll be your plastic toy") that you may think. I guess I'm a sucker for layers, when a song starts with something simple like the drum beat, and slowly introduces more and more layers of guitars to make some beautiful co-ordinated mess. My second favourite song of all-time (behind Marquee Moon).

2. The Beatles - I Am The Walrus - Another great song. Circa 1967 is my favourite Beatles era, because it's the most lennony and the least mccartney-y.

3. Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come - it's hard to put this at 3rd, but it's harder to put it anywhere higher - Honey and Walrus are in my top 30 songs of all time. Great instrumentals (it does sound dated, bbut I don't think that's a bad thing here) and better vocals.

4. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit - Peculiar song. Heard it for the first time and it's certainly interesting. But I just think the three songs above are better.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
I have no idea what this song is about, but it seems all cryptic and fatalist. Awesome.
Great song.
Layla has one of the most energizing guitar riffs there is. It's easily his best song and one of the best rock songs ever. It's clearly his 'Wake the audience up' song at concerts. Only one thing. Whoever programs the music at CVSes and grocery stores? Stop playing the lame slow version!! Play the real Layla or no Layla at all!
Good song but weak for this bracket.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
Brilliant jazz.
High in the running for 'Best pop song ever'. Perfect production, perfect delivery, lyrics that make such a statement by saying so little. She took a song about a man asking his wife for respect, and turned it right around on our entire gender. Great, great song.
Awesome song, but again, in way too strong a bracket. I watched this on Youtube with the original music video? God it looks ridiculous. (Man I miss music videos.)
A very overrated song that's kind of annoying. Good main guitar riff, great cowbell, very weak vocals.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
Great blues song that takes advantage of a bracket with two very overrated songs.
One of those songs in the grace period after the Sun recordings where his songs started to become all about hooks and performance flair, but they also still had nuanced emotional delivery didn't sound overly glossy.
I really like the delivery of this song, but I still just can't get past the abject narcissism of the lyrics.
Well performed but cheesy and hooky.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke'
Really good emotional song.
Great song, beats out the drug songs it's up against.
like the trippy 'Stream of consciousness' lyrics.
Good song but overrated because people think the drug lyrics are cool.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19

1. "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown: A funk prototype, and it's still just as badass today.
2. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies: Weird ruminations on numerology and evolution; typical Pixies then!
3. "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes: 5 years ago this would have been last here, but I heard it randomly recently and that coda is still so damn good.
4. "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure: Moonbeam will want to kill me, but I'm just dead tired of this one. Disintegration has about 8 better songs on it.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17

Yikes, a great bracket. All of these are in my all-time Top 2000.

1. "So What" - Miles Davis: One of the all-time jazz standards, and for good reason. I've heard this oh-so-many times, and it's still fresh and I still hear new things.
2. "Respect" - Aretha Franklin: Another one of those I had gotten very tired of, and that I've turned to recently with fresh ears. The delivery on this is just phenomenal, and sealed Aretha's reputation forever in one fell swoop.
3. "Epic" - Faith No More: Still love this, on constant rotation for me in 1990. Very silly and very good, and another excellent piano-driven coda featured in a song placing 3rd in my bracket.
4. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult: Great stuff, especially for the ghostly backing vocals and the near-bizarre guitar solo breakdown that comes seemingly out of nowhere. But this was a tough bracket, so no more cowbell.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

1. "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido): This would have been last in the bracket above, such are the chance vagaries of bracketology! Anyway, this is easily Eminem's masterpiece, very melodic, emotionally gripping, we'll forgive him for foisting Dido upon us.
2. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley: Not sure if there's much more that can be said about this one. One of Elvis's archetypal performances.
3. "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King: Clearly no piano-driven coda here, breaking the pattern set above. Lengthy codas and B.B. King were not mutual friends. Good song of course.
4. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes: There's lots of better Supremes songs out there, though this may be the most stereotypically Supreme-y.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19

Another really strong bracket, all in Top 2000 again...

1. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke: Easily crushes the rest here, this is simply one of the greatest songs ever. Extremely affecting, perfectly sung, a signpost of its time, and one of the few popular songs I can honestly say is objectively "important". Also, to make things even more poignant, it's Cooke's swan song.
2. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain: Wonderful subversion of '60s girl-group dripping in '80s production values and good ol' fashioned distortion.
3. "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane: Psych classics fall to the bottom in this group, I guess that's fine. This is powered completely by Grace Slick's vocal, and is the only bearable Jefferson Airplane song in my opinion.
4. "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles: A decade ago this was one of my favorite Beatles tracks, but I have less and less time for it these days. Obviously it's extremely sonically inventive, but for me that's about it. It doesn't move me emotionally in any way, and there's not much groove to get down with, so it's purely an intellectual experience for me, interesting as it is. Sometimes that's enough...in this bracket, it's not.

I also like Grandmaster Flash.

Listyguy

So you like the older stuff...have you tried Public Enemy or De La Soul recently? Or Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique?

LISZT 19
1. MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN. If Dante Alighieri had been a slack indie guy…no, never mind. One of the best—and most important—songs of the last 25 years.
2. PAPA’S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG. Yes, he did. JB already had all the ingredients for funk. This is where they all came together.
3. LAYLA. I usually fade to another song at the two-minute mark.
4. JUST LIKE HEAVEN. There are Cure songs I like, and Cure songs I hate. This isn’t in either category.

MOPS: Blur, “This Is a Low”

WAGNER 17
1. SO WHAT. So much to be said, not the least of which is this: it’s the lead track on the finest makeout album of all time. If you haven’t gotten started by the time the counter ticks over from 9:22 to “Freddie Freeloader,” you’re not going to.
2. RESPECT. As with so many artists, Aretha’s highest-ranked song on AM is her most iconic rather than hear best (that’s either “Chain of Fools” or “Think”). But it’s still a powerful blast.
3. (DON’T FEAR) THE REAPER. Aging hipsters like myself have agreed that it’s OK to like BÖC’s masterpiece, either because we’re being ironic, or because it’s spooky or somehow prefigures Ian Curtis or something. Actually, I think these are all covers—we like it because, frankly, it’s über-awesome.
4. EPIC. Lotsa fun, but really out of its league here.

MOPS: Miles Davis, “So What”

VIVALDI 17
1. HEARTBREAK HOTEL. This is a surprisingly soft group for round 2…soft enough that I have no qualms about putting Elvis in the top slot, even though it’s mostly because it’s an influential song.
2. THE THRILL IS GONE. How ballsy was it to record—in the 60s, no less—a paint-strippingly powerful R&B number about…things falling apart over the passage of time?
3. STAN. Lately, I’m enjoying this less—the performance is still probably E’s best, but the self-regard and the melodrama are starting to wear thin.
4. STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE. The runt of the Supremes’ litter of #1 hits. imo.

MOPS: Elvis Presley, “Heartbreak Hotel”

BACH 19. This may be the mightiest bracket we’ve had to date.
1. A CHANGE IS GONNA COME. There are days when I think this is the best song released in the sixties. If you know anything about American history, this has to move you.
2. I AM THE WALRUS. How strong is this group? A track that I sometimes think is the best thing the frickin’ BEATLES ever did…is #2.
3. WHITE RABBIT. I think maybe it’s about drugs.
4. JUST LIKE HONEY. J&MC doesn’t really have one classic song; to be honest, although I like this, I’d probably rather hear “Head On” most days.

MOPS: Sam Cooke, “A Change Is Gonna Come”

sonofsamiam
Listyguy

So you like the older stuff...have you tried Public Enemy or De La Soul recently? Or Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique?

2000's music almost completely sucks.
Public Enemy is good, I've never really listened to De La Soul, and I'm not a fan of the Beastie Boys (I don't really consider them rap though)

Listyguy
sonofsamiam
Listyguy

2000's music almost completely sucks.
Public Enemy is good, I've never really listened to De La Soul, and I'm not a fan of the Beastie Boys (I don't really consider them rap though)

You also might like A Tribe Called Quest. Their album "The Low End Theory" is quite good.

I'd consider Beastie Boys a rap band! Certainly Paul's Boutique. I remember reading Chuck D of Public Enemy fame commenting that "the biggest secret in music is that the Beastie Boys have the best beats." Or something. I'm paraphrasing wildly.

Of course I think we'd all admit to not being hiphop/r&b connaiseurs, but I found Kanye West to be very addictive, especially the first two albums. Like Listyguy I'm a bit of a hiphopsceptic (although I love outkast and Stan), I mean I've only really heard 6 rap albums - NWA, De la soul, jay-z, 2 kanyes, pauls boutique and it takes a nation. A Tribe Called Quest are next on my list - any more suggestions?

I like "Fear of a Black Planet" more than "It Takes a Nation..", GZA/Genius' "Liquid Swords" and the "Marshall Mathers LP".

I'm very far from a hiphop expert as well though, although I've been getting into it a lot more lately.

Zorg
I'd consider Beastie Boys a rap band! Certainly Paul's Boutique. I remember reading Chuck D of Public Enemy fame commenting that "the biggest secret in music is that the Beastie Boys have the best beats." Or something. I'm paraphrasing wildly.

Of course I think we'd all admit to not being hiphop/r&b connaiseurs, but I found Kanye West to be very addictive, especially the first two albums. Like Listyguy I'm a bit of a hiphopsceptic (although I love outkast and Stan), I mean I've only really heard 6 rap albums - NWA, De la soul, jay-z, 2 kanyes, pauls boutique and it takes a nation. A Tribe Called Quest are next on my list - any more suggestions?

here are some suggestions on great hip-hop.

Wu-Tang Clan- Enter the Wu (36 Chambers)
Ready to Die- The Notorious B.I.G.
Life After Death- The Notorious B.I.G.
Illmatic- Nas
Madvillain- Madvillainy
Kala- M.I.A.
Arular- M.I.A. (yes, I do count her as hip hop)
Stankonia- Outkast
The Chronic- Dr. Dre
The Marshall Mathers LP- Eminem
The other Kanye albums you haven't heard (they're all good)

And if you like British guys rapping, I highly recommend Original Pirate Material by The Streets, or Boy in da Corner by Dizzee Rascal.

And if you ever have the time, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is amazing, if a bit long, but there are enough genius moments to make up for this fault.

Nick
Zorg

here are some suggestions on great hip-hop.

Wu-Tang Clan- Enter the Wu (36 Chambers)
Ready to Die- The Notorious B.I.G.
Life After Death- The Notorious B.I.G.
Illmatic- Nas
Madvillain- Madvillainy
Kala- M.I.A.
Arular- M.I.A. (yes, I do count her as hip hop)
Stankonia- Outkast
The Chronic- Dr. Dre
The Marshall Mathers LP- Eminem
The other Kanye albums you haven't heard (they're all good)

And if you like British guys rapping, I highly recommend Original Pirate Material by The Streets, or Boy in da Corner by Dizzee Rascal.

And if you ever have the time, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is amazing, if a bit long, but there are enough genius moments to make up for this fault.

Biggie is awesome.
I don't like Jay-Z at all.
I joke all the time that I work for the FBI and I know the whereabouts of Elvis, MJ, Cobain and 2Pac

The 2 first Beastie Boys albums are 100% hip-hop but from Check your Head to Hello Nasty, it's a bit harder to limit them to that genre.

On pre-88 hip-hop, I don't think there is any interesting album, with the notable exception of Run DMC's albums. But there are tons of great singles, my favourite being It's the Joint by Funky 4+1.
During 88 and 89 came 4 genre-defining albums : it takes a nation, 3 feet high and rising, Paul's Boutique and Straight Outta Compton. I think that they have not aged well, except Paul's Boutique, but clearly 90% of what will be done on the 10 following years come from those 4 albums.
On the 90s, the absolute masterpiece is Enter the Wu-Tang; there are some other great albums (by Nas, Dr Octagon, Notorious B.I.G., Raekwon...) but they are not what appeal the most to "rock oriented" listeners. If albums have not always aged well, once more there are tons of awesome singles.
It started changing at the end of the 90s and at the beginning of the 00s with Kanye West, Eminem, Outkast... with more accessible albums, which quite strangely seems more "white oriented". In the first half of the 00s, hip-hop and RnB are the most inventive and courageous genre, much more than rock which went back to basis with the White Stripes and the Strokes.
My personal favourite are Kanye West - The College Dropout, Puppetmastaz - all 3 first albums, Eminem - a selection of best songs from Eminem SHow and the Marshall Matters LP, Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (Outkast 2 best songs are on Stankonia, but as a whole Speakerboxxx is for me the best, The Love Below having some weak moments), IAM - L'école du Micro d'Argent (one of the 2 french Hip-hop landmiles), Spank Rock - Yoyoyoyoyo...
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da COrned is a masterpiece too, but it is very challenging and not everybody will like it.
Considering Jay-Z, I have been a bit disappointed by his albums (including the Blueprint), but single-wise, he is one of the best : 99 problems, the Takeover, Hard Knock Life, Girls... those are marvelous songs !

I used to be really biased against rap. I think the problem was you form expectations about art based on the art you've already been exposed to. I had mostly heard stuff with pop/rock melodies. So when I heard rap it was like "What the hell is this? They're not even singing!"

Then later when I started exposing myself to more varied music, rap grew on me. I still hate all the 'Gangsta' mannerisms but if the beat and vocal delivery are good enough, I can happily ignore them. There's still only like 5 rap albums in my top 200, though.

Among rap acts I like are Public Enemy, De La Soul, Outkast, Eric B & Rakim, and a few albums from a few others. I can't stand Kanye West and the Dr Dre/Puff Daddy circles of marketing oriented groups. I haven't really given Wu-Tang a fair chance for about a decade, but I haven't liked any of their solo albums except for Raekwon's.

And I refuse to call Puff Daddy 'Diddy'. I'll either call him by his original stage name, or by his real name, or by some completely new stage name. He doesn't get to declare himself a household name by self-abbreviating.

Public Enemy's been one of favorite artists for a while now, but I've found it hard to get into a lot of other hip-hop. I like Low End Theory, Straight Outta Compton, and Enter the Wu-Tang, but I dislike Jay-Z and Notorious B.I.G. and don't know how much I'll be rewarded for digging deeper into the genre. Next I'll try Mobb Deep, Raekwon, and GZA.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" – Pixies: The centerpiece of DOOLITTLE takes an extremely competitive bracket by winning the coveted “which one would I most like to listen to right now?” award. As much as I love “Layla,” I’ve just heard it too many times to get truly excited by it anymore, which I doubt I’ll ever be able to say about this one.
2. "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes: Rock’s great half-pain/half-catharsis epic has lost none of its power over its 40-year existence – even if, for fully half that existence now, Jim Gordon’s piano coda has been transformed into an automatic GOODFELLAS reference.
3. "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure: Their few mainstream hits are so effortlessly catchy and concise that it’s pretty clear Robert Smith could have made a career out of them if he’d wanted. This lovely little elegy is one of their very best.
4. "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown: You know it’s an unforgivingly tough bracket when The Godfather lands at #4. As obviously influential as it was – it was the single that really broke him with crossover (i.e., white) audiences – there are a lot of Brown songs I like more.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult: One of my all-time favorites. I still remember how giddy I got the first time I heard the full album version on classic-rock radio and realized, “Wait – you mean there’s a deranged guitar solo here, too, in addition to everything else?” There’s a reason SNL picked this song for the more-you-know-what sketch.
2. "Respect" - Aretha Franklin: A record and a performance that have saturated our culture so thoroughly that few things make me lunge for the dial or the remote faster than the sound of someone yelping, “Whatchoo want”… unless it’s The Queen herself, of course. Because, paradoxically, the record itself has never gotten old, and never will, “sockittome”’s and all.
3. "Epic" - Faith No More: Another loaded bracket – this is one of my favorites of the Nineties and could easily top a lot of other brackets. It’s such a brilliant melding of things that shouldn’t go together.
4. "So What" - Miles Davis: Yeah, this stings a little. But then, I can’t imagine listening to the extraordinary lead track of The Greatest Jazz Album Ever without sticking around for the other four tracks, while #’s 1-3 here are great self-contained listening experiences – which is what this game is all about.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido): As I’ve said many times before, this is not only Mr. Mathers’s magnum opus but possibly the greatest work of art ever created about the relationship between artist and audience and the danger of taking it too far. Very much this week’s easiest #1.
2. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes: The best of their unstoppable string of #1 hits, and as representative an example of what Hitsville U.S.A. (and Holland-Dozier-Holland) were all about as any record could be.
3. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley: A definitive Before-and-After record, one whose historical importance outstrips its musical quality – can anyone really say this is one of The King’s very best recordings?
4. "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King: Tasteful and impeccable but also passionate and recognizably the blues – it’s undoubtedly the most commercially successful blues single of all time, and King did it on his own effortless terms.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane: Another Sixties classic that’s become a permanent media fixture as instant counterculture shorthand, and with good reason. It’s a perfect little miniature, exactly as long as it needs to be and no longer, with a slow build that remains spellbinding even after all these years.
2. "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles: John Lennon’s great kitchen-sink psychedelic exploration, with delirious strings, a bizarre midpoint switch to reprocessed stereo, and unintended contributions from the cast of a radio dramatization of KING LEAR. All held together, as always, by the unshakable and severely underrated Ringo Starr.
3. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke: A remarkably powerful record, one that hasn’t lost any of its galvanizing power either as music (and posthumous testament to a genius lost too soon) or as symbol of a movement.
4. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain: SH2B4. Again, I’d rather hear this as the lead track on one of the great debut albums than as a stand-alone song.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19

This and the last bracket are full of great songs, while I struggle to find a favorite from the middle two. Oh well. In this bracket, "Monkey Gone To Heaven" and "Just Like Heaven" find themselves within ten spots of each other on my all-time songs list, the former succeeding with its bizarre atmosphere and legendary breakdown and the latter with its breezy guitar riff. I hate to put "Layla," one of the few gigantic classic rock tracks that is not at all overrated, in third. "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," while a fun funk song, is an easy fourth.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17

Going chalk seems about right for a bracket I couldn't care less about. Faith No More is outmatched at this level. I find myself wanting to like "So What" because its album is so highly rated, but I honestly can't find anything interesting about it. It pales next to some of Coltrane's and Mingus' true jazz masterpieces. "Don't Fear the Reaper" is another great classic rock song, but its impact has dulled over the hundred or so times I have heard it. That leaves "Respect," a song I've never disliked but always thought was strangely ranked (top ten all time??), in the top spot here.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17

This is a really poor bracket for this level of competition, likely due to the fact that "Heartbreak Hotel" doesn't really hold its weight as a #14 overall seed. That song is certainly well-written/performed, but it's too dull musically to live up to its mighty ranking. I've never had any desire to listen to "Stop! In the Name of Love;" "You Keep Me Hangin' On" is the only one of the big Supremes songs that I actually enjoy. "The Thrill is Gone" is a stone cold classic, but I'd rather listen to "Stan," a song that has free-fallen out of my personal rankings but still remains enjoyable. I am starting to dislike the lyrics of the song, which can be interpreted as extremely arrogant, but the song's chilly atmosphere makes it one of Eminem's best (though I do prefer "Lose Yourself").

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19

I can't believe "Just Like Honey" has performed so poorly in this bracket. It's obviously up against pretty tough competition, including a truly great, gigantically important soul track and one of the Beatles' more creative efforts. Still, it's one of my favorite songs, with its insanely catchy "Be My Baby" drum beat and stream-of-conciousness structure. "White Rabbit" I've always thought to be insanely overrated and grating to the ears.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
"Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes
Everything about this song just kicks so much ass. My friend hates the piano outro with a burning passion, but I think it's the best part of the whole thing. This song is two totally different songs in one, just indescribable.
"Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies
The best Pixies song, and that's saying a lot.
"Just Like Heaven" - The Cure
Beautiful, pure beauty in song form.
"Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown
tough luck for James Brown, but these 4 songs all rank within my top 200 songs of all time, SH2B4.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
"Respect" - Aretha Franklin
Top ten of all time? Pleeeeaseee. But in all seriousness, it is a great song, although rather overrated in general.
"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult
I got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!
"So What" - Miles Davis
One of the best jazz songs out there, but I've always liked jazz as a genre in terms of albums, bot songs. Still an incredible song though.
"Epic" - Faith No More
Merely good.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
"Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley
Dated? Somewhat. But it's still a great song, is voice conveys so much emotion. This song wouldn't win the first two brackets, but this one is kind of weak so Elvis claims the top spot.
"Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido)
Great storytelling, right up until the very ending of the song.
"Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes
In general, the whole motown genre, and girl groups sound really dated, but although this song doesn't exactly "transcend" the whole dated thing, it's still really good.
"The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King
It's a shame to put this song last, but it's one of those songs good enough to pass round one, but not quite up for round two.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
"A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke
Very powerful vocal performance, this is Cooke's strongest song, and one of the strongest soul songs out there.
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane
Dated as hell, but captures an era very very well. A true zeitgeist.
"I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles
Utter nonsense never sounded so fun.
"Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain
This song is really growing on me, maybe in a few months I would have placed it higher, but alas, that is not the case here.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
#47: "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes ~ This is just going to have to be first. As everyone says, the piano coda is just as rewarding as the amazing first half, all led by two amazing guitar legends plus overdubs. Mesmerising.
#338: "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure ~ At first, there seems to be nothing special here, but that's the point - it's so damn understated for how good it actually is that it has to go up here.
#82: "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown ~ Arguably the invention of funky, and it's super cool, but it doesn't hold up in this bracket, sadly. However, a LOT of other James Brown songs would.
#210: "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies ~ As Nassim said, the numericalisation part is rather interesting, but as others have said, it's not the best song on Doolittle, and most of Surfer Rosa is better anyway.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
#5: "Respect" - Aretha Franklin ~ Seriously, who doesn't (even if they don't admit it) love this song? I mean, just wait for that instrumental break led by the fantastic King Curtis. And just listen to Aretha hammer that piano. Oh--she sings too; with the soul of Mahalia Jackson and the sassiness of Sarah Vaughan combined.
#636: "So What" - Miles Davis ~ My higher mind is really trying to squeeze this past Respect, but no can do. Either way, this is possibly the best track off one of the most accessible and greatest jazz albums ever. The introduction dallies without true rhythm or key, and the actual theme is blissfully simple for jazz, but the soloists are what set it apart, as they improvise over a backing track so ambient that it makes the 10 minutes some of the easiest 10 minutes to get through.
#252: "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult ~ A great song with a cyclic guitar riff, and exactly the kind of harmonies that all classic rock should have. I love the build-up to that corking guitar solo.
#645: "Epic" - Faith No More ~ It sure is epic, all right. Well, by that I mean that it's full of generic telltale signs of pretentious metal. Of course, the point is to make fun of pretentious metal (the music video really helps with this realisation), but on the surface, there's not much really special about it. Apart from Mike Patton. He makes everything cool.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
#14: "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley ~ I'm not usually one to side with Elvis, this song is a clear winner in this bracket. I love how every verse only calls for two spurts of instrumentation, and the first chorus is merely Elvis's voice accompanied by a single bass. The rolling piano is way too cool for this song to be surpassed any time soon.
#398: "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King ~ This would be utterly amazing if it didn't suffer from something I feel with most blues songs - repetitive lyrics. I know there are traditions in blues, and I know that B.B. King sings these lyrics with supreme emotion, and I know that he delivers emotion even better via Lucille, but I'd just like a bit more bite before we get to the licks.
#270: "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido) ~ I urge everyone yet to send in their rankings to listen to this song in the context of both The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP. On its own, it is a good example of using rap for a narrative song, but there are many recontextualisations that happens between those LPs which raises their tracks even higher. I don't like how Eminem acts his role in the last verse though - that final "Damn!" seems to reek of ironic apathy which makes it rather anticlimatic.
#142: "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes ~ And here we have an outdated Motown song. What really kills it for me is the fact that the vocal melody is played by practically every melodic instrument in the band. I'm all for underplayed vocals, but not when everything else in the mix is playing the same thing. I don't enjoy many Supremes songs, however.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
#95: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke ~ Possibly the best song of this week. The reason this song needs an entire orchestra is because it is simply because it is just too moving and powerful for a mere rhythm and blues band to back it. Every time I hear the introduction, it doesn't sound like one of the greatest songs of all time, but as soon as Sam's voice soars to reach that "born" in the first line, it all clicks. It's an anthem which something as poignant as the Civil Rights Movement just deserves.
#546: "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain ~ A great pop song with a wonderfully fit texture and atmosphere. It shouldn't be as hated as it is on here, but it's never going to match up to something like A Change is Gonna Come.
#223: "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane ~ A brilliant flamenco tinge, and the ending crescendo makes it even better.
#351: "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles ~ Again--and I will always bring this up for the Beatles' more...different songs--I don't think I can really commend them for taking LSD and coming up with this as much as I can commend, well, Sam Cooke for coming up with A Change is Gonna Come. Then again, I thought I always liked I Am the Walrus. Maybe I'm just being spiteful today. I might be spiteful forevermore, though.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes
Easy pick here for me. Really, it's two different songs. The first half is an above-average classic rock song that doesn't nearly get as much respect as it deserves. Obviously, the second half is glorious and Allman's slide guitar work is out-of-this-world good. I could listen to this song over and over and over. One of my all-time favorites.
2. "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown
It may not be JB's most well-known ("I Feel Good") or even his funkiest ("Sex Machine"), but it is his best and his most iconic. This is where funk begins.
3. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies
I don't understand it. And the opening line of "There was a guy" always gets a chuckle out of me. But can someone tell me why the hell I like it? I can't claim to like much of anything else by the Pixies that I've heard, but there's something about this one that keeps me coming back. I can't tell you how tempted I am to steal schleuse's joke from Round 1 here...
4. "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure
It's the only song in this bracket that I don't have rated as five stars. Regardless of my iTunes ratings, this is a fairly easy #4 for me. It's good enough to get into the second round, but it isn't in the same league as the first two here.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "So What" - Miles Davis
Yes, "Kind of Blue" is a great album. I think we can all agree on that. But if you had to pick one song out of Miles' entire catalog of music, you couldn't do much better than this one. Sure, his later stuff (post-1968) was much more fusion-oriented, so choosing one song to define his entire career is a bit problematic. But damn, what a song this is.
Every time I listen to it, I hear something new. Some previously unheard nuance that just adds to the music. That's what keeps me coming back. That and the fact that the lineup here is maybe the best jazz lineup ever committed to vinyl.
2. "Respect" - Aretha Franklin
A legendary song, and certainly deserving of all the praise it gets. And if it gets into the third round, it certainly deserves to go. I just can't in good conscience put it above my favorite jazz tune ever.
3. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult
What can be said about this one that hasn't already been said? It's BÖC's best, and surprisingly mellow for a hard rock song. The harmonies are divine, and the guitar solo at the middle of the song is absolutely blistering. Still in a bracket like this, it's an easy pick for #3. Hey, I managed to get through my entire comment without mentioning the cowbell! Wait... DAMN.
4. "Epic" - Faith No More
Another bracket where the top three are five-stars for me, and the last is "only" four. Yeah, it's a good song, but it's hardly a great song. And in a bracket like this, it's an oh-so-easy #4.

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King
Going anti-chalk here. I don't really know what I could possibly say about this song that hasn't already been said by better people than I. It's King's most iconic song, and while iconic doesn't always mean good, this song is in the stratosphere. There's a reason why King plays this song at all his concerts to this day, over forty years after this song first came out. Not to mention that this is the *best* song to put on after a painful breakup.
2. "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido)
There are certain songs that I always have to listen to in order to be reminded of their greatness. This one certainly fits that bill. I always forget just how powerful and angry that third verse is. Whew, I still get chills. For all the controversy that Em had back in 2000, it's easy to forget that he's an incredible lyricist. This song is maybe the perfect example of that. The lyric about "If she suffocates, then she'll suffer more, then she'll die too" is like a punch to the gut.
3. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes
Not my favorite by the Supremes, but it's certainly top-shelf Motown. And it's difficult to deny that this is one hell of a song. Easy to see why it was (and still is) so popular. But for me, it's an easy pick for #3.
4. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley
And then there was the King. I'm not really a fan (there's only two songs by Elvis that I like), so it's an easy pick for #4.

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke
Sometimes a song doesn't click with me until I see it in a movie. That certainly was my experience with this song and the movie "Talk to Me." It's just an absolutely gorgeous call for peace and harmony. And Cooke's voice was so, so good.
2. "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane
Speaking of songs and movies, this song didn't click for me until I saw "The Game." Somehow the song's creepiness didn't register with me, even though that opening guitar line is one of the most sinister-sounding things ever recorded. The "Alice in Wonderland" references are a bit gimmicky, but for some reason I'm always screaming "Feed your head!" along with Grace Slick at the end of the song.
3. "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles
The first few seconds of this song (up until the strings come in) always come as a bit of a surprise to me. Maybe it's because it's so low-key while the rest of the song feels (to me at least) so manic. I mean, this song has EVERYTHING. It's like a musical paella.
4. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus & Mary Chain
What was that I was saying about songs and movies? This one didn't click for me until the last moments of "Lost in Translation." I don't want to say that it's completely clicked for me yet though. But give me time. I'm getting there.

I don't even hear the cowbell..

Stephan
I don't even hear the cowbell..

It makes up almost all the drumming.
This is random, but I'm in a band, and our drummer takes lessons from the drummer from Meatloaf.
When Meatloaf's drummer is out of town, Blue Oyster Cult's drummer fills in.

I was slightly exaggerating, of course I hear it, but it's so faint and in the background that I really don't see what all the fuss is about. The Beatles have used much more annoying 'instruments' in their songs.

Stephan
I was slightly exaggerating, of course I hear it, but it's so faint and in the background that I really don't see what all the fuss is about. The Beatles have used much more annoying 'instruments' in their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWCOJPwdXw

That is the reason people have made a fuss about it since 2000.

Sorry it took so long to get this done, but here are the... RESULTS

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "Layla" - Derek & the Dominoes (38 points, 5 first-place votes)
2. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" - Pixies (33, 4)
3. "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - James Brown (32, 3)
4. "Just Like Heaven" - The Cure (27, 1)

This was a tight bracket all week, but the last three ballots had "Layla" in first, and that was enough to put that song in to the second round, where it will face off against Pulp's "Common People."

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "Respect" - Aretha Franklin (43, 4)
2. "So What" - Miles Davis (37, 5)
3. "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult (31, 3)
4. "Epic" - Faith No More (19, 1)

Miles kept it close all week long, even tying for the lead midway through the week. But Aretha was too strong, as she finished in either first or second place on every ballot. The Queen of Soul will look for more respect in the third round, as she will take on Stevie Wonder's "Superstition."

VIVALDI BLOC, BRACKET 17
1. "The Thrill Is Gone" - B.B. King (38, 5)
2. "Stan" - Eminem (Featuring Dido) (34, 3)
3. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley (32, 4)
4. "Stop! In the Name of Love" - The Supremes (26, 1)

The thrill might be gone, but "The Thrill Is Gone" is still around. B.B. took an early lead this week, then held on as Eminem managed to keep it close. "The Thrill Is Gone" is now the lowest-rated song to advance to Round 3, and it will meet the Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On."

BACH BLOC, BRACKET 19
1. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke
2. "White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane
3. "I Am the Walrus" - The Beatles
4. "Just Like Honey" - The Jesus and Mary Chain
The week's biggest blowout goes to Sam Cooke, who took an early lead and never looked back. "A Change Is Gonna Come" must now take on the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" and Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer."

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to include the points for the last bracket. I've already deleted the numbers from my computer, and I don't feel like re-calculating them. If someone else wants to, go ahead. But know that it wasn't really that close here.